LG launches the G7 - Resonance chamber, notch, 3000mAh battery

Wish folks wouldn't act as if LCD is trash next to OLED.  Yes, OLED has deeper blacks and wider contrast, but LCD is still phenomenal -- and I suspect LG couldn't do the super-bright outdoors mode on the G7 if it used OLED.  I'd happily take an LCD as long as the colors look good and there's no unwanted artifacts (like backlight bleed).

7 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Wish folks wouldn't act as if LCD is trash next to OLED.  Yes, OLED has deeper blacks and wider contrast, but LCD is still phenomenal -- and I suspect LG couldn't do the super-bright outdoors mode on the G7 if it used OLED.  I'd happily take an LCD as long as the colors look good and there's no unwanted artifacts (like backlight bleed).

Honestly for screens that small anyways it has less of an effect.  Hell the Nintendo Switch has a 720p IPS and it looks phenomenal.

9 minutes ago, Commodus said:

LCD is so bad that it will give you nausea and make your eyeballs bleed while you roll over the ground and scream for help. 

Didn’t you get the memo!?

On 5/3/2018 at 7:57 AM, Bouzoo said:

I don't hate it, but there is no reason to choose even a good LCD over a good OLED screen. I'm sure that G7 has the best LCD screen, same how G6 had the best LCD screen of it's time (sounds like it was a century ago). It's weird because V30 had an OLED and now the G7 doesn't have it. I suppose it will stay exclusive to V series. I personally like the black blacks of OLED more than backlit black on LCD.

The OLED screen on the V30 had a whole host of issues. Graininess on some units, bad viewing angles, color banding at low light, and black crush to just name some of the more prominent ones. I honestly think this LCD is probably a better choice over the OLED in the V30. Definitely not better than something from Samsung but that probably would've been more expensive plus Samsung usually doesn't give current gen panels to other smartphone manufacturers.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

7 hours ago, Commodus said:

I'd probably largely stick to LCD until MicroLED becomes a thing. I'd like to not have fear in ramping up the brightness, or having static blue-heavy backgrounds. :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

8 hours ago, Commodus said:

I think it has a lot to do with LG's OLED display issues in the V30 and Pixel 2 XL 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

The OLED screen on the V30 had a whole host of issues. Graininess on some units, bad viewing angles, color banding at low light, and black crush to just name some of the more prominent ones. I honestly think this LCD is probably a better choice over the OLED in the V30. Definitely not better than something from Samsung but that probably would've been more expensive plus Samsung usually doesn't give current gen panels to other smartphone manufacturers.

It did have many issues, it is true, but if you had a good unit, which were in my experience the majority of them, then it was superior to LCD. Luckily, if you had a bad unit, that gets resolved really fast. The local official repair shop doesn't screw the customers. Quite bizarre right. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

8 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

It did have many issues, it is true, but if you had a good unit, which were in my experience the majority of them, then it was superior to LCD. Luckily, if you had a bad unit, that gets resolved really fast. The local official repair shop doesn't screw the customers. Quite bizarre right. 

While for some things (graininess, color banding, and to some extent viewing angles) there definitely was variance from device to device other things like black crush were caused by an inferior DDIC compared to those Samsung has and was a pretty universal issue. As well, burn in is something that seems to have been more of a concern on LG OLEDs and while I believe how susceptible each panel was to it did vary that's not something you can immediately tell.

Are you sure if you went to a repair shop they would actually swap out the display? I know that on the pixel 2 xl at least it was considered normal to unless you were within the 15 day return without questions period you would've had to pay the $200 for a display replacement.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

While for some things (graininess, color banding, and to some extent viewing angles) there definitely was variance from device to device other things like black crush were caused by an inferior DDIC compared to those Samsung has and was a pretty universal issue. As well, burn in is something that seems to have been more of a concern on LG OLEDs and while I believe how susceptible each panel was to it did vary that's not something you can immediately tell.

Are you sure if you went to a repair shop they would actually swap out the display? I know that on the pixel 2 xl at least it was considered normal to unless you were within the 15 day return without questions period you would've had to pay the $200 for a display replacement.

I know they would since they swapped it for a work buddy of mine. Not to mention that they gave me 2 years extra warranty for my G2 since I waited for replacement parts for more than 30 days. That is 2 years on top of regular 1 year. What I am curious more is if the newer batches of them are better quality. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

I know they would since they swapped it for a work buddy of mine. Not to mention that they gave me 2 years extra warranty for my G2 since I waited for replacement parts for more than 30 days. That is 2 years on top of regular 1 year. What I am curious more is if the newer batches of them are better quality. 

So they gave a repair for an abnormal screen? What specifically were the things that got the repair?

I've heard the newer batches of pOLED panels have less of stuff like graininess and the viewing angles are much better. Some things like black crush can't be fixed though.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

So they gave a repair for an abnormal screen? What specifically were the things that got the repair?

I've heard the newer batches of pOLED panels have less of stuff like graininess and the viewing angles are much better. Some things like black crush can't be fixed though.

The problem was that after a month the colours started to have the greenish effect that many people experienced, but only on top of the screen, and he had dead pixels in the bottom left corner. Not sure what the term is, but the "front lobe" got replaced since that goes as a part. 

I find it funny how you guys are stressing out over OLED and are willing to take the risks with defective panels. I’m more than happy with my 720p LCD screen on my iPhone 7. Yes, it looks inferior next to a Samsung S8. But I don’t care when the colours look good on my iPhone and everything is sharp. There’s just nothing to complain about when it comes to screens (unless you buy an ultra cheap device, but even $100 phones from China have decent screens). There’s good and then there’s better. 

3 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I find it funny how you guys are stressing out over OLED and are willing to take the risks with defective panels. I’m more than happy with my 720p LCD screen on my iPhone 7. Yes, it looks inferior next to a Samsung S8. But I don’t care when the colours look good on my iPhone and everything is sharp. There’s just nothing to complain about when it comes to screens (unless you buy an ultra cheap device, but even $100 phones from China have decent screens). There’s good and then there’s better. 

I personally don’t see the point in going above 1080P on a 5 inch screen. It’s not like you are going to have your phone few inches in front of your face, you will never see the pixels.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

1 minute ago, DrDerp said:

I personally don’t see the point in going above 1080P on a 5 inch screen. It’s not like you are going to have your phone few inches in front of your face, you will never see the pixels.

720p is an interesting trade off IMO. The resolution is adequate for a 5’ inch screen. You won’t see the pixels unless you put your nose on the screen. But the major advantage of 720p is that it takes less processing power. So you get better FPS in games, better battery life and a faster phone overall. 

Interestingly, most phones above $300 are going for 1080p screens (or higher). So anything lower would seem like a regression on paper and will get heavily criticized in reviews. 

51 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

720p is an interesting trade off IMO. The resolution is adequate for a 5’ inch screen. You won’t see the pixels unless you put your nose on the screen. But the major advantage of 720p is that it takes less processing power. So you get better FPS in games, better battery life and a faster phone overall. 

Interestingly, most phones above $300 are going for 1080p screens (or higher). So anything lower would seem like a regression on paper and will get heavily criticized in reviews. 

Just rendering a basic UI isn't very intensive for today's GPUs, even at high resolutions. Blurring effects and other such shaders will push the gpu some, particularly when the resolution climbs, though this will be on a per-device bases as some devices aren't using blurring shaders in the UI.

As for gaming, given we're not that far ahead of 360/PS3 performance, I think 1080P can be a bit of an ambitious mark to hit where complex shaders are involved (let alone 1440P or greater). Memory bandwidth is also a concern with high resolutions, though the jump to DDR4 helped quite a lot more recently.

The biggest benefit of 1080P and above on phones is most noticeable in text quality. It is usually text where the imperfections of a 720P display show up. Even the Nintendo 3DS's potato resolution doesn't bother me much until I get to some text. 

Pentile AMOLED displays have also benefitted greatly from high physical resolutions, even above 1080P, though Samsung exposes the ability to render at 1080P and even 720P, making the performance demands moot.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

11 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I think the hallmark on the iPhone 7’s display is P3 gamut support and individual calibration.

On a side note, it’s technically 750p, so a little higher 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

The more i see phones with that stupid notch the more sure i am that Motorola phones are for me, god that looks terrible

funny how unknown chinese brand are more daring than the big ones.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

28 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

My buddy has a chinese ...Technically smart phone with a 20,000mha battery, He charges it once a month

43 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

That is a prototype. That will never be mass produced. Mechanical parts on a phone is doomed to fail and will be a replacement nightmare

Hrm...I won't be in a rush to buy one.  I went through 3 G4s over a couple of years and now have a G6, which is good enough that coupled with the extra free year of warranty to be considered an apology of sorts for the crap design of the G4 and G5 (my opinion).  It's a solid and speedy if unremarkable phone...but that's the way I like it.  Minimally invasive UI tweaks.  Would've bought a Nexus if I could afford the good one.

The G7 looks like more of the same...not enough to be top-notch, yet somehow more annoying than the G6's unassuming demeanor.

Why does it look like an iphone X copy? i know they made tactical design changes to make sure it doesn't infringe apples design concept, still , it's just like an iphone X with android UI. Felt like they took the real easy route for design.

Details separate people.

1 hour ago, Cole5 said:

The more i see phones with that stupid notch the more sure i am that Motorola phones are for me, god that looks terrible

I really honestly feel that Motorola is going into the shitter. 

My Moto Z 2016 performed well but the Nougat update borked it and while it's on 7.1.1, there's still no sign of an Oreo update, when the Galaxy S7 already has it. 

Motorola should damn well support their products better. Mine was $699 new and I very well expect proper support for the usual 2 years. To be slower than Samsung is an absolute disgrace since Samsung has been one of the absolute slowest 

7 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I really honestly feel that Motorola is going into the shitter. 

My Moto Z 2016 performed well but the Nougat update borked it and while it's on 7.1.1, there's still no sign of an Oreo update, when the Galaxy S7 already has it. 

Motorola should damn well support their products better. Mine was $699 new and I very well expect proper support for the usual 2 years. To be slower than Samsung is an absolute disgrace since Samsung has been one of the absolute slowest 

Motorola is one of the worst when it comes to updates.

This link gives a good idea of how good the updates of different manufacturers are

https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/28/ios-versus-android-security/

You can see apple sits at the top

55 minutes ago, avg123 said:

That is a prototype. That will never be mass produced. Mechanical parts on a phone is doomed to fail and will be a replacement nightmare

can't be a prototype if they're planning to release it to the mass 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>