Apple REFUSED to Fix our iMac Pro

Hey Linus and team,

I work at a local (in Surrey) Best Buy as the manager for the Geek Squad department in the store. While I can't order the parts in to the store for you due to apples strict requierments, I can offer to send it to our repair center for you and make sure that there is no BS along the way. I have sent out regular iMacs for display replacement before and they have come back perfectly fine, but it would be a first for me for an iMac Pro.

Please let me know if you want more info and I will be happy to help. Message or email me for any personal information as i don't want my email or phone getting spammed.

so if the screen panel was broken,can we just buy a brand new panel and replace it by ourself? or some part of the screen is bound to the device itself so we only can contact apple

panel model LM270QQ1-SDA2 from LG Display  image from iFixit

hope it can help :) 

飞规划局的国服环境.png

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

The toxicity and bias regarding all this is ridiculous ...

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/18/linus-tech-tips-imac-pro-repair-video/

I think that thread makes sense. Apple likely refused to repair the iMac because they are unsure of the extent of the damage and because the total cost of repairs likely ended up costing more than the price of the iMac. 

So in this case, it’s possibly cheaper to just get a brand new iMac Pro. 

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, GabenJr said:

They didn't really give us any official reasoning other than "HQ told us to stop working on it". When we reached out to an AASP, they said there's a months-long wait list on parts availability, along with the lack of certification for technicians.

To clarify a bit further, the screen is at this point destroyed. The logic board may or may not be OK, and the power supply seems OK. Basically we listed those parts by going off what the Apple store told us their troubleshooting steps were going to be, and the fact that their replacing the PSU (the one step they managed to complete before being told to stop) didn't help.

I fix most Apple products I did not maintain my Certification but I still have the knowledge. I would recommend a couple things. If you still want to finish those videos pull the data off the drive before anything. I don't know what model it is but if someone could tell me the model or specifications I could give you an idea of what to do next.

Just now, Sergio E Rodriguez said:

I fix most Apple products I did not maintain my Certification but I still have the knowledge. I would recommend a couple things. If you still want to finish those videos pull the data off the drive before anything. I don't know what model it is but if someone could tell me the model or specifications I could give you an idea of what to do next.

I see it sorry

Well just leaving it out here, Just checked and amazon has it for a whopping 500$ (the display). I'm sure its just the display. if you guys want buy the part and ship it with the computer ill fix it for you guys no cost.

I have not read through all of this, so apologies if anyone brought it up.  I work for Geek Squad and Best Buy is authorized repair depot for apple products.  For the computers it generally costs more for whatever reason, but they can send it out.  It goes to a repair facility in Kentucky and take usually 2-3 weeks.  I don't know if its the same for Canada, but if you can sneak across the border Best Buy should be able to fix it.

I’ve worked as a repair technician for 10 years.

when fixing iMacs it’s always a pain in the ass acquiring new parts.

To my understanding the iMac Pro 5K screen is the same screen as on the normal 5K iMac.

So I would recommend going on eBay and buying a new/used working screen for a 5K iMac and just re-attach it.

What I like to say is this. Linus we all have our pc pref but for me I do not like Apple. I will by a Windows pc any day over a Apple. One reason is what you describe in your video there service is crap plane and simple. They made it like that so you can go and buy another one so they can have job security . It is ridiculous and I won't buy anything Apple and support a bad company ethics. I have friends and relative that buy Apple products and when they go bad they can't get it fixed regardless of what others say. Go and stay away from apple and this video should start open there eyes up don't follow the Apple hype

3 hours ago, abazigal said:

I think that thread makes sense. Apple likely refused to repair the iMac because they are unsure of the extent of the damage and because the total cost of repairs likely ended up costing more than the price of the iMac. 

So in this case, it’s possibly cheaper to just get a brand new iMac Pro. 

Then they should probably say so.

Hi Guys, so I have a family member that works in apple systems repair who CAN get the parts! We checked today. I don't want to go into details on a public forum, but please do get in touch, and we can work it out. But again, we checked the ordering system today and we CAN place orders. :) 

在中国有一个神奇的网站 能找到几乎所有的显示器面板 http://www.panelook.cn 

或者可以拍摄一期 自己DIY显示器的视频 怎么样?

On 4/17/2018 at 11:59 AM, GabenJr said:

WE broke our iMac Pro... But then we tried to PAY Apple to repair it. They REFUSED. Come with us on a journey of frustration...

Buy(?) an iMac Pro on Amazon: http://geni.us/eSNg9q

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/205115 

Check this out haha

They try to go into "Clauses" in how legally they don't have to fix the F*cking thing. 

Like no, stop. It's about how they couldn't fix it and how they should fix it. 

I just wanna find whoever wrote this and beat the crap out of them, don't deny it. 

Their stupidity makes you want to do it too.

57 minutes ago, Simple_Canadian said:

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/205115 

Check this out haha

They try to go into "Clauses" in how legally they don't have to fix the F*cking thing. 

Like no, stop. It's about how they couldn't fix it and how they should fix it. 

I just wanna find whoever wrote this and beat the crap out of them, don't deny it. 

Their stupidity makes you want to do it too.

There's even more articles by Apple news sites that try to paint a bad picture of Linus. 

On 4/17/2018 at 11:59 AM, GabenJr said:

WE broke our iMac Pro... But then we tried to PAY Apple to repair it. They REFUSED. Come with us on a journey of frustration...

Buy a parts computer that has a good screen but the internals are not included for mabey $100

I am not sure how long ago did the purchase happened. But if you happened to buy it with a credit card. There is likely a chance that there are insurance that can cover you to buy a new device

Hey Linus,
Just go to Alibaba and get a panel from a well-trusted supplier.
Screw Apple for their attitude and product pricing.

Maybe get a few of these panels and start selling them on Ebay at better price than Apple.

One of these should be compatible with the iMac Pro.

hope this helps. :)

I recommend looking up some of the Chinese sites many of the Chinese posters have submitted, it's better than calling other companies and crawling through Ebay

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

linus why are you crying and frustrated this is a opportunity to piece it out and sell that garbage make your money back lol

lol then just buy a used one with that cash then do what you need to do and sell it haha just a bomb waiting to go off again

but sometimes you just cant get rid of a bomb haha

On 4/17/2018 at 1:59 PM, GabenJr said:

So i'm actually an apple certified tech that used to work with one of their big box retail ASP's. This is not something new with the Mac Pro. This is standard operating procedure more or less. They release a product without any training or documentation and there will be no supply chain available for the product until they start their next round of training revisions (as I recall when i got certified in 2015 they had just released the training material for the 2015 models and we didn't actually have the equipment needed to do the servicing on the products at our location for about 6 months). Basically even if Apple's distro center HAS the parts they won't release it to the various ASP locations until the ASP has one tech fully certified on the devices and I haven't logged into my GSX account in a while (i'm no longer with the big box chain so my log in is dead until i go freelance or join another company that is apple ASP)  but I don't believe the documentation for the Pro's has been released to the ASP's just yet. And even once the tech's are certified they will  not have even 3rd party parts because  A- its apple, 3rd party is hard to come by inherently. and (more importantly) B- if they use a 3rd party part on an in warranty product (even non warranty repair) they will lose their ASP status. It is worth noting that this was only an issue on models that were MAJOR paradigm shifts (the 2015 macbooks with the touch bar, the 2013 mac pro (a nightmare to get certified in btw, a cert question asked how many pounds of torque had to be applied to a specific bolt) so this isn't every apple release but the majority as they do more often than not have some major form factor change in atleast one of their skus each year.

Sorry if that was incoherent as I'm typing this rather late but TLDR

no repair will be possible by any tech for probably about 6 months because apple's ASP system and parts chain is butts

16 minutes ago, lawlercoppter said:

So i'm actually an apple certified tech that used to work with one of their big box retail ASP's. This is not something new with the Mac Pro. This is standard operating procedure more or less. They release a product without any training or documentation and there will be no supply chain available for the product until they start their next round of training revisions (as I recall when i got certified in 2015 they had just released the training material for the 2015 models and we didn't actually have the equipment needed to do the servicing on the products at our location for about 6 months). Basically even if Apple's distro center HAS the parts they won't release it to the various ASP locations until the ASP has one tech fully certified on the devices and I haven't logged into my GSX account in a while (i'm no longer with the big box chain so my log in is dead until i go freelance or join another company that is apple ASP)  but I don't believe the documentation for the Pro's has been released to the ASP's just yet. And even once the tech's are certified they will  not have even 3rd party parts because  A- its apple, 3rd party is hard to come by inherently. and (more importantly) B- if they use a 3rd party part on an in warranty product (even non warranty repair) they will lose their ASP status. It is worth noting that this was only an issue on models that were MAJOR paradigm shifts (the 2015 macbooks with the touch bar, the 2013 mac pro (a nightmare to get certified in btw, a cert question asked how many pounds of torque had to be applied to a specific bolt) so this isn't every apple release but the majority as they do more often than not have some major form factor change in atleast one of their skus each year.

Sorry if that was incoherent as I'm typing this rather late but TLDR

no repair will be possible by any tech for probably about 6 months because apple's ASP system and parts chain is butts

That's what I thought 

They can't repair it because supply chain 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

15 hours ago, aflyinghotpocket said:

Lets say i'm average Joe and my iPhone screen just randomly breaks or malfunctions as a result of a manufacturing defect. I promptly go to an Apple store, have the defect verified, and my Phone is replaced under warranty...

I still have my broken iPhone and yes according to the net bloating batteries for that model was common. To date "out of warranty now for a few years it is 2018" They just said "phone was new and under warranty then" i used a bad charger. Now to be clear I NEVER charge a phone with a third party charger. i am simply to paranoid for that. Hence why i spend a LOT of money on getting a ORIGINAL charger for my laptop.

In my own personal experience Apple WILL show you the door IF they think they can get away with it.

If you feel like following up on this google "iPhone 5c bloating battery" it was a thing back then... Just saying i will NEVER buy apple again. Not based on Linus but based on the fact they showed me the door based on what they "thought i did" My Samsung A3 that i replaced the iPhone with is STILL WORKING and i use it every day and I still use ONLY its original charger that came with the phone.

So i have no trust in Apple or their products and because i couldn't fix my phone myself that makes me more angry. To be clear most if not all phones share this problem "no parts". It is just it was my first and last contract phone and i expected more from Apple.

Basically what i am saying is i ended up paying a fee for 24 months and had nothing to show for it. The contract doesn't go away just because the phone broke.

15 hours ago, asus killer said:

if it were a #PCMasterRace product you could just have bought a new screen. :P

speaking of PCMasterRace, what if Linus had broke the RAM slots? would they have said the same. Oh, no we can't fix it, it's garbage xD 

At least we can you use some dump board donor board have the same slot with good condition to swap ... i think so