Volvo to build electric semi trucks

Eduard the weeb
6 hours ago, gnomik said:

Is there an actual spec sheet for the tesla semi? I cant find the battery capacity or motor power anywhere.Maybe tesla just bullshitting about its range :D

The Tesla Semi will come in two options: a 500 mile rig and a 300 mile rig.

The range rating assumes a full 80,000 lbs tractor + trailer.

The power train for the semi starts with an ENORMOUS battery (estimated at ~ 1 MWh) through an inverter (no specs) to 4 motors (one for each rear wheel). Each motor in the Tesla semi is the same motor as the one in the Model 3. The middle wheels will have a 15:1 reduction unit IIRC (the transmission... which is only one speed) and the rear wheels will have a 22:1 reduction unit IIRC.

The signature edition is $200,000, the 500 mile rig is $180,000, and I don't know the the price of the 300 mile rig but I think it is $150,000.

I don't know the difference between the signature edition or the 500 mile rig.

Apparently some industry representatives that have more up close and personal experience with the vehicle say the specs are for real:

https://electrek.co/2017/12/18/tesla-semi-test-program-partner-performance-specs-real/

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

Hopefully, we will see electric semis dominating the roads. I'm tired of hearing them and seeing pitch black exhaust get shot out of the exhaust pipe every single time they accelerate. Plus they stink. This also is starting to feel like the future where everything is electric and we get rid of the burning of fossil fuels for more sustainable energy. Of course, it will take a SUPER long time before everything gets converted to electric and also we get rid of burning fossil fuels.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

1 hour ago, The Viking said:

Derogations on weights are also allowed for vehicles powered by alternative fuels.

Well that part might in part negate the weight restrictions slightly, doesn't affect the size limits though it isn't that surprising they have limits that are tighter than the US roads designed for horses and peasants are not particularly large.

However this Volvo is more or less useless in a US context, though if it is merely going across an EU state it would serve its purpose as it doesn't need to go as far in most cases.

Though we don't know the full details on the 300 mile rig to say for certain that one isn't small enough to be a valid option, the 500 is certainly out of the question though.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

The range per charge is important but it's even more important to discuss at what kind of load they can pull off that range. If it's 300km towing the full capacity which is usually under 40 metric tons but I seriously doubt they can maintain that distance claim on such loads. I could be way off but this detail is actually important.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, TheMcSame said:

Neither are suited to much more than yard shunter work and local deliveries anyway. 

Let's not forget the rather large price tag on the Tesla Semi as well... Haulage companies will shell the money out for the bare minimum of what's needed. The Tesla isn't even going to be a question for most companies, the Volvo may well be much more affordable, as far as trucks go anyway, and thus a much more realistic option for haulage companies. 

Energy efficient to an extent. Though like every other hybrid on the market, in the real world they can't match the efficiency of a diesel engine.

"But diesel fumes and NOX emissions" 

Two words; Shipping - Industry. If you care so much about NOX and sulphur, you should be on their case since shipping fuel is far more dirtier than road diesel.

The efficiency of a vehicle is not only defined by the type of motorisation it uses. Yeah diesel might be more efficient but in the end, something with terrible drag coefficient like traditionally shaped semi trucks, like the one Volvo will produce can never be efficient particularly at high speed where the impact of their bad drag coefficient is truly felt.

Though from the mileage the Volvo electric semi can travel without stop, they wouldnt go much further than the local deliveries or the next town so they might not even need to go on highways where they would reach a speed where it really matters.

Traditional trucks have typically a drag coefficient of about 0.7 to 0.8 which is really bad where as the Tesla truck has 0.36 which means their is a lot less energy lost trying to fight wind. Sure, the Tesla semi is expensive but transport companies would probably save a lot of money tied to fuel since, depending on the  location, electricity is really cheap. With increasingly better and cheaper battery technology, we could see these trucks starting able to do very long distances where even their higher initial price might be recuperated over the truck's lifespan through lower usage cost. Anyway, we also dont know about Volvo's truck's pricing although it will surely be much lower than the Tesla equivalent.

Also, I never mentionned anything about fumes and NOX emissions. I just think going electric or hybrid, is a good move in general and should be pursued more and more in favor of lower consumption of fossil fuels

However, thats only my little thought about the topic so take it with a grain of salt.

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

4 hours ago, Blackie Sheen said:

Well the prius, as much as the look of it is hated, it is extremely practical. It has one of the lowest drag coefficient ever to ever have on a car with a Cd of 0.24 which allows it to in the end be very energy efficient

I wouldn't say it's practical solely from the slopping roof line. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 hours ago, Blackie Sheen said:

The efficiency of a vehicle is not only defined by the type of motorisation it uses. Yeah diesel might be more efficient but in the end, something with terrible drag coefficient like traditionally shaped semi trucks, like the one Volvo will produce can never be efficient particularly at high speed where the impact of their bad drag coefficient is truly felt.

When I mentioned diesel, it was in the context of cars, since you mentioned the Prius. I'm certainly not disputing a giant block creates a hell of a lot of drag. However, cabovers are very popular in Europe for a reason, the cab eats into the total legal length of the vehicle. That hood might make it more efficient, but it eats into the total length of the vehicle, though it's short wheelbase may well help with that

Though from the mileage the Volvo electric semi can travel without stop, they wouldnt go much further than the local deliveries or the next town so they might not even need to go on highways where they would reach a speed where it really matters.

The problem here is that you're assuming they compete in the same market. Driving over to the next town in NA is a lot different than driving over to the next town in Europe considering Europe's population is far more dense. 

The Tesla might have better range, but it's still nothing spectacular that'd put it above local multi drops or perhaps a short cross-border delivery. 

Traditional trucks have typically a drag coefficient of about 0.7 to 0.8 which is really bad where as the Tesla truck has 0.36 which means their is a lot less energy lost trying to fight wind. Sure, the Tesla semi is expensive but transport companies would probably save a lot of money tied to fuel since,

You're expecting companies to do the logical thing and spend money to save money. Companies don't like logic, or spending money to save money, that's why they tend to buy the lowest spec truck they can get away with.

Also, I never mentionned anything about fumes and NOX emissions. I just think going electric or hybrid, is a good move in general and should be pursued more and more in favor of lower consumption of fossil fuels

It was more of a preemptive thing, since the whole VW scandal, the mere mention of diesel over anything is enough to trigger people.

Inner city use is where electric vehicles are most needed and make most sense, and where this Volvo is designed for. Volvo are pitching their truck at a very different market to Tesla, so comparisons aren't very valid.

This Volvo already can’t compete. The Tesla gets, what, 600 miles on a single charge? Volvo is probably scared that they are going to lose a lot of profit off of their transportation vehicles.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

12 hours ago, Brehohn said:

This Volvo already can’t compete. The Tesla gets, what, 600 miles on a single charge? Volvo is probably scared that they are going to lose a lot of profit off of their transportation vehicles.

Tesla is aimed at the US market. Volvo is aimed at the European market. It's two different markets. Tesla is too big for Europe, Volvo is too small for US.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking