UPDATE 2: iOS 11.3.1 FIXES The iPhone 8 If You've Replaced The Screen

iamdarkyoshi
Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep this conversation civil and respectful.

Blanket accusations and insults will not be tolerated.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

It's not even legal, there's literally an ongoing thread in TN&R right now about how the FTC are warning tech companies that voiding warranties on devices that have been unofficially serviced is illegal under US federal law.

Then there is nothing to worry about and this thread is pointless now. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Then there is nothing to worry about

Quite a bit of phones will be bricked but thats just pointless right? 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Quite a bit of phones will be bricked but thats just pointless right? 

Don’t really care about other people’s phones tbh. They can just get an offical screen replacement. 

They can sue them if they are angry about it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Don’t really care about other people’s phones tbh. They can just get an offical screen replacement. 

They can sue them if they are angry about it. 

$169 for official screen of $30 and DIY. 

Please for once can you not defend apple for their bullshit. Not everyone is made of money like you and zero fucking reason why a replacement 3rd party screen that works and has been working is then disabled because apple is pissed they are not getting your money.

24 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

$169 for official screen of $30 and DIY. 

Please for once can you not defend apple for their bullshit. Not everyone is made of money like you and zero fucking reason why a replacement 3rd party screen that works and has been working is then disabled because apple is pissed they are not getting your money.

Doesn’t matter. If their phone is bricked from this and they want it working again they need to get the display replaced through Apple. That’s not my opinion, that’s just reality. 

I’m not commenting on any other aspect of this.

45 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

They can just get an offical screen replacement

Provided apple doesn't refuse to service it...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7015526

Linus is battling for his imac right now with the same issue, apple downright refuses to fix it, even at the expense of the owner

6 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Linus is battling for his imac right now with the same issue, apple downright refuses to fix it, even at the expense of the owner

They refused because they don’t have the replacement parts yet.

15 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Things like this are why I am reconsidering getting an iPhone this August when my contract is up for renewal.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

The question I have is...is this an attempt to take the business away from those 3rd party shops? Or is Apple trying to establish better control over their product?  I don't know how big the screen repair business really is, but to take a wild guess...I would have to guess the latter...

Even though I have replaced exactly one phone screen in my life, I still would want the option to repair a device myself. Or at least have the option to take my device to someone else to repair.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

48 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Doesn’t matter. If their phone is bricked from this and they want it working again they need to get the display replaced through Apple. That’s not my opinion, that’s just reality. 

So first this is revenge out of spite because they are not blowing money on apple. See in the networking world Adtran did this with their cards and SFPs. SFPs can cost anywhere around $1500+ and if you go 3rd party, $100. Now take this in account when you have a 48 ports switch you are talking $72,000 vs $4,800. Adtran got pissed and in an update disabled all 3rd party SFPs. This took multiple ISPs down, causing damage for the customers of the ISP, not being able to take phone calls or credit card payments for their business it was a huge outage. This was then sent to a law suit for being anti consumerist and forced to remove the patch from the update. This is the same situation. 

Its just complete bullshit that apple did this and your fanoboyness is seriously getting annoying is all these threads where apple is clearly at fault. 

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

This is the same situation. 

Then it can be resolved. Like I said, if someone is affected they should sue. 

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Its just complete bullshit that apple did this and your fanoboyness is seriously getting annoying is all these threads where apple is clearly at fault. 

I’m not here to agree with everyone on everything. 

Then it can be resolved. Like I said, if someone is affected they should sue. 

It would have to be a class action. But they shouldnt be just sued, they should be fined by the gov. Honestly I hope EU tears apple a new one for this. 

I’m not here to agree with everyone on everything. 

Not saying you have to, but you defend apple on every. single. topic. I swear apple could hire hit man to kill someone over dissing apple in a post and you would still find some BS argument to defend it. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Not saying you have to, but you defend apple on every. single. topic. I swear apple could hire hit man to kill someone over dissing apple in a post and you would still find some BS argument to defend it. 

B7DD8F24-CE7A-4496-BFE1-1BCE75A22D2B.jpeg.1acd33791b072f5675c08f3ed2520193.jpeg

New information. Please update the OP to reflect this

https://www.cultofmac.com/540953/ios-11-also-breaks-genuine-apple-displays-on-repaired-iphones/

OEM displays are also being affected by this. 

Only Apple serviced parts seem to be working. 

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

I’m not commenting on any other aspect of this.

I wouldn't expect any different behaviour from you TBH, you've been given unrefutable evidence that Apple are breaking the law and your response is to stick your fingers in your ears and shout "LALALA," until the bad people saying bad things about your beloved Apple go away.

Grow up.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

There was this talk of something like this was going to happen when I worked Geek Squad and we became AASP.  Except then it was going to be blacklisting the SN of any phones we opened and found 3rd party parts.  When you activate an iphone it does the normal phone activation and checks your carrier to make sure the SN is not reported stolen, but also activates with apple, and if the phone is blacklisted for any reason it wont activate on apples end and will be inoperable (even if your carrier shows it as active).  I will say apple official screens are a much higher quality, many AASP locations cant change screens onsite because apples advanced calibration tools is a $1,000 purchase for any AASP locations.  They have an absurdly large number of touch points, to the degree you would need to have fingers thinner than a stylus to be necessary.

I think this was just an accident, if it were intentional bricking you'd get the same failure to authenticate on apple server errors as the ones manually reported and blacklisted for phony parts.  Unless of course apple used this as a different approach to brick the phones, using a phony manufactured compatibility issue, as a way to divert attention and blame the 3rd party screens.

They did once refused to repair a phone for having a 3rd party screen I know for a fact had a legit screen, the lady had just activated a new phone and dropped it in our store and broken it.  Apple would not repair it, so we wrote off a new phone and gave her a new one, we didn't want to repair it because even if we installed a brand new apple screen, the SN would still be blacklisted in Apples system as unrepairable.

Apple told this client he could not have an SDD installed and his HDD was bad, and a repair would be $350, and he could choose either a 500GB or 1TB mechanical drive.  He brought it to me, pulled the drive, put it in my mule, and passed all diagnostice, the garbage sata cable was bad.   I just finished stress test this morning, its about to be picked up complete with a new cable and SDD for less than half apples price.  As long as I can source parts, I will fix it.

macbook.png

These are just more examples why despite being apple and iOS certified, I iwll never become a 3rd Party AASP.  I was still part time with geek squad when when they became AASP (test store stages). Overnight we went from being able to install any new SDD in Mac products that did not have embedded storage, to only being able to replace failed HDDs, and only with one of the original drive options.  Zero upgrades allowed. 

And for those who may try and call BS on my apple creds just to troll, here I am logged into Apple Global Services Exchange (must be apple certified to have access) 

Apple GSX.jpg

42 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

you've been given unrefutable evidence that Apple are breaking the law and your response is to stick your fingers in your ears and shout "LALALA," until the bad people saying bad things about your beloved Apple go away.

Are you a lawyer? 

So that image is you admitting to being beyond a fanboy. Good, now everyone can dismiss any point you are trying to prove! Glad we cleared that up.

New information. Please update the OP to reflect this

https://www.cultofmac.com/540953/ios-11-also-breaks-genuine-apple-displays-on-repaired-iphones/

OEM displays are also being affected by this. 

Only Apple serviced parts seem to be working. 

While you may think this gets apple off the hook did you read it?  Because now I change my original stance that apple did this mistakenly.  AASP repaired phones are not affected, only genuine screens installed by non authroized providers and fake screens failed.  When an AASP location does a repair the parts are SN controlled and when possible embeded in the replaced components firmware, we update the repair in GSX with the new parts SN.  All your phones information gets validated when you update, or when you reset and reactivate it again.  So if the only difference in the repaired screens that work and the ones that don't, is if it was replaced by Apple/ AASP location or an unauthorized 3rd party, then the only reason for that, is they pulled the trigger with disabling phones with unauthorized repairs.  Something that has been water cooler talk since 2016, just done differently than originally planned.

-pathetic snip-

Is that really all you can respond with? C'mon, can't you take some responsibility???? It's not a bad thing if you're wrong, it's not a bad thing for you if a company you like does something wrong. But, if you feel like continuing to make yourself look like a fool, that's your choice, but can you please explain why?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

8 minutes ago, JCMPTech said:

While you may think this gets apple off the hook did you read it? 

I never said that. 

10 minutes ago, JCMPTech said:

So if the only difference in the repaired screens that work and the ones that don't, is if it was replaced by Apple/ AASP location or an unauthorized 3rd party, then the only reason for that, is they pulled the trigger with disabling phones with unauthorized repairs. 

And yes this would appear to be the case. 

It does appear now that Apple has intentionally done this. 

7 minutes ago, Shakaza said:

Is that really all you can respond with? C'mon, can't you take some responsibility?

Ok, I was wrong. 

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

You're arguing with a wall...

The wall seems vulnerable and squishy at the moment, and this might be the chance to break through and find reason on the other side! It's a long shot, but I don't lose a whole lot by responding. :P

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Ok, I was wrong. 

Yay! That wasn't so hard, was it? I know it can be really hard to admit when you're wrong, so I really appreciate when people actually do so. :D

Ok, I was wrong. 

Thank you for that admission, genuinely.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)