Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

It takes an age (so lucky my "new" screen has a USB hub - short usb cable on the FDD):image.thumb.png.581fa1d19c78eee7cd8d39b8ad3e8f42.png

Edit: Well shit. 1 of the photos (in swf form) failed to copy.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Yes! I remember the days of cleaning the mouse and the prefetch folder, stop the Windows messenger from running (not MSN but messenger of windows computers connected via LAN) and getting rid of XP's balloon tips! Good days! ?

I remember back further to 98, 98, ME, 2000. I could trim 98 down super thin to use barely any ram, barely any disc, and run super fast and responsive and only crash a little sometimes lol. Back then windows crashing was just kind of...normal. Not like now where it's actually stable enough to not HAVE to reboot once every few days.

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I remember back further to 98, 98, ME, 2000. I could trim 98 down super thin to use barely any ram, barely any disc, and run super fast and responsive and only crash a little sometimes lol. Back then windows crashing was just kind of...normal. Not like now where it's actually stable enough to not HAVE to reboot once every few days.

Reboot every few days?  When I was running ME I had to recover the system every few days! 

Might be a slight exaggeration.

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

48 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Reboot every few days?  When I was running ME I had to recover the system every few days! 

Might be a slight exaggeration.

Not a slight exaggeration. I loved the features of ME, built in ZIP utilities, it ran well, drivers were hit or miss though and feel like most crashes were driver issues. We had an ATI graphics card and it was just hell to get it running on ME or 2000, 98 was sometimes OK and sometimes not, I guess AMD inherited those issues from ATI...

6 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

When I was running ME I had to recover the system every few days! 

On 95 I was reinstalling once a month, would always end up with registry corruption - probably one of the programs I was using, but never found out which.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I remember XP being the first real Windows (I have been using it since 3.1) That you could, at will, Alt+TAB out of a game and not worry about it crashing at all lol

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

52 minutes ago, Bitter said:

XP, being NT based, was WAY more stable for sure!

After SP1. I remember it being fairly terrible when it first came out.  I purchased retail on launch day.  Of course that could have been because I was rocking an AMD K6-2 400Mhz with only 64 MB ram. 

I have an old Intel Pentium 4 HT the first ever hyper threading series processor launched back in 2000. It still is in a working condition with its stock cooler.

I still have a graphic card Raedon 7770 GHz edition OC ( Saphire make ) which am using to display in my current rig.

I so badly want a Compaq Portable Model III.

Dunno quite what to do with it, but I want one.

Of course prices for ones in working shape are...dire so it will remain a pipe dream for now.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

I so badly want a Compaq Portable Model III.

Dunno quite what to do with it, but I want one.

Of course prices for ones in working shape are...dire so it will remain a pipe dream for now.

so get one that doesn't!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

24 minutes ago, will4623 said:

so get one that doesn't!

And then what? My electrical repair skills are .....modest...at best

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 10/31/2019 at 12:00 PM, Bitter said:

XP, being NT based, was WAY more stable for sure!

there was never a reason to "upgrade" to xp if you had 98 

I was using 98 until windows 7 for most VM's from linux and my laptop i somehow had 98 on it

i didnt play fallout 3 on xp for example in xp's whole lifetime, just 98

you also had a better ui, DOS games, 10x better. 98 was the last decent windows op imo

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

98 had less stability and you lost the ability to use new hardware as it came out plus were stuck with older DX and OpenGL versions. Also stuck on 3GB RAM though XP 64bit was a joke.

16 hours ago, RelativeMono said:

I was using 98 until windows 7 for most VM's from linux and my laptop i somehow had 98 on it

you also had a better ui, DOS games, 10x better. 98 was the last decent windows op imo

I HAD to install XP.  I couldn't get 98 to play with my 2400+ at the time

Edit:  Glad i did too

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

On 11/3/2019 at 1:27 AM, RelativeMono said:

I had a teacher in 2004 who told me that when everything got stuck in the company network where he worked, he tried to repair it from the only machine that still had Windows 98. It was the slowest one ever but the only one that still worked when the others couldn't. He used to preffer 98 over XP for this reason. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

15 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

I had a teacher in 2004 who told me that when everything got stuck in the company network where he worked, he tried to repair it from the only machine that still had Windows 98. It was the slowest one ever but the only one that still worked when the others couldn't. He used to preffer 98 over XP for this reason. 

98 wasnt slow, maybe the comp it was on but i ran mine with a pentium 4

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

5 hours ago, RelativeMono said:

98 wasnt slow, maybe the comp it was on but i ran mine with a pentium 4

Yeah, probably it was the computer. But the thing is that it was the only computer that didn't get stuck, I only heard good things about the 98 during that time. ?

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

I have an unopened 80GB MAXTOR IDE HDD... It's from one of my colleague, he say to me : you take it or i trow it. Might be 100% usefull but who knows.

IMG_20191105_220913.jpg

Thought I'd show off an old build with some Antec 900 goodness. My first Intel build in years (second build in this case).

Intel Core i7-920

Asrock X58 Extreme Motherboard

2x Sapphire Radeon 5770 in Crossfire

4x 500gb HDD in RAID 0

6x Adata XPG 2GB DDR3 1600

Ubiquitous DVD Burner

I still have the case.  Sadly the hardware was sold off to fund new PC.

704941442_RebelsHell3.thumb.jpg.df6d08763067d866a273fcd1d2b38e0a.jpg

At some point I need to show some of my things. It's been a while since I last hopped onto this.

Love,

Mother Fawkes

25 minutes ago, Jessica.Fox said:

At some point I need to show some of my things. It's been a while since I last hopped onto this.

So don't wait, take pictures, we want to see your old things :)

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

14 hours ago, Ienien77 said:

I have an unopened 80GB MAXTOR IDE HDD... It's from one of my colleague, he say to me : you take it or i trow it. Might be 100% usefull but who knows.

WOW! I would keep it like that just to show off. ?