Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 hours ago, AlexCaffe said:

I bought a turbine for my baby, which was in use. The seller said he bought it two months ago. That she was too weak for his machine. I believed him that everything was ok with her, since she was outwardly completely intact. So I drove 300 miles on it and it fell apart. In addition to her, the hood was damaged and that's it. But I was surprised that I only drove 300 miles on it. Thanks to the fact that I a few months ago bought a portable analyzer for my work, I learned that my turbine was made of aluminum, but not simple, but the cheapest and softest. It would be better if I bought a new but simpler turbine. The new one would be cheaper than the one I bought. Since now I will also spend money on repairing the hood

So you did what to your windmill? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

as defense for not knowing it was a g i looked at that engine once and its in like 2 models of car (usdm,jdm models counted as same)

Not the VTEC man I used to know...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

38 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Not the VTEC man I used to know...

ok then if you insist, do i have to prove me vtec man by writing out a essay of history of vtec ro something, the g series is the most uncovered engine ever, doesnt even have vtec 

I'm graduating uni soon and I'm gonna start looking for a used car. I'm pretty handy and have access to a well-stocked shop for maintenance, but I was wondering what your guy's thoughts are on this list of cars I'm looking at. The price range I'm looking at is around 10-15k CAD. Obviously I'm in Canada, and winter is a significant concern. I've driven consistently since I was able to as well, just driving my mom's car. Anyways, here's the list I've been thinking of, from most practical to least.

Lexus CT200h, Volvo C30 (T5), Audi TT Mk2 (2009-14, quattro), and specifically the Series 2 Mazda RX-8 (2009-12). The TT only has two usable seats but the RX-8 has its maintenance requirements. Any of you guys have any of these cars or thoughts on them? 

Mini-ITX Desktop: i9-9900K@5GHz, 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200MHz, Asus Strix Z390-i, EVGA 3090 Hybrid FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe 1TB, Lian Li O11 Air Mini White

Plex/Minecraft Server: Dell PowerEdge T320, Xeon E5-2470 v2, 48GB RAM, 19.25TB storage, RTX A2000 6GB

Tablet: iPad Pro 11” M1

7 minutes ago, Xaiux said:

I'm graduating uni soon and I'm gonna start looking for a used car. I'm pretty handy and have access to a well-stocked shop for maintenance, but I was wondering what your guy's thoughts are on this list of cars I'm looking at. The price range I'm looking at is around 10-15k CAD. Obviously I'm in Canada, and winter is a significant concern. I've driven consistently since I was able to as well, just driving my mom's car. Anyways, here's the list I've been thinking of, from most practical to least.

Lexus CT200h, Volvo C30 (T5), Audi TT Mk2 (2009-14, quattro), and specifically the Series 2 Mazda RX-8 (2009-12). The TT only has two usable seats but the RX-8 has its maintenance requirements. Any of you guys have any of these cars or thoughts on them? 

ive seen so many god damn ct200h'z when going shopping, i see atleast 20 of them at the store they are evreywhere, and efficient and  arebaed off yaris chassis

2 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

ive seen so many god damn ct200h'z when going shopping, i see atleast 20 of them at the store they are evreywhere, and efficient and arebaed off yaris chassis

I was fairly sure it's just a Lexus Prius right?

Mini-ITX Desktop: i9-9900K@5GHz, 32GB TridentZ RGB 3200MHz, Asus Strix Z390-i, EVGA 3090 Hybrid FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe 1TB, Lian Li O11 Air Mini White

Plex/Minecraft Server: Dell PowerEdge T320, Xeon E5-2470 v2, 48GB RAM, 19.25TB storage, RTX A2000 6GB

20 minutes ago, Xaiux said:

of all the RX cars, I've heard the RX-8's are the worst, they older ones are supposedly more reliable. idk I think that's more of a fun car/toy than a car you'd want to drive everyday

CT200h is extremely efficient and overall a nice car... hard to go wrong for a daily driver. It'll prob be the most reliable out of everything in your list too. Also will hold value the best most likely.

TT is pretty small, but fun. C30 kind of middle ground? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

of all the RX cars, I've heard the RX-8's are the worst, they older ones are supposedly more reliable. idk I think that's more of a fun car/toy than a car you'd want to drive everyday

CT200h is extremely efficient and overall a nice car... hard to go wrong for a daily driver. It'll prob be the most reliable out of everything in your list too. Also will hold value the best most likely.

my neigbors down the road have a lexus hybrid sedan, its so quiet cruising down the neigborhood

19 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

RX-7's are hilariously out of my budget though unless I went really old. The C30 is a middle ground with the caveat that down the line I could look into the AWD mod that some people have done to it for a very unique car. 

36 minutes ago, Xaiux said:

The Lexus CT200h is just a fancier Prius, which obviously comes with its advantages and disadvantages. Great mileage, great commuter, doesn't go much further than that.

Volvo's are tanks. And as in other cars, shit breaks. When it does, it isn't cheap. But they last long and are great cars, comfortable too. I'd dare say the C30 is a decent mix of affordable and cheap. It is based on a Ford Focus, and I don't know what components they share, but what they do must be cheap the Focus' are everywhere (at least in Europe). Engine is from Volvo and it's a tank. Expensive maintenance but at longer intervals.

For a first car, I'd recommend the Volvo out of these 4 options. Engine makes good power, good noises along with turbo noises. Handles alright too.

For me, the "Prius" is too boring of a car to have as a first one. But if you are looking for something JUST to commute with, that should be fine. But it is only that that it does alright.

Audi is a 2 seater, so no possibility of carrying friends around for some proper fuckery, other than that, it is a solid car and base if you want to go for more power, but that also goes with the Volvo. My opinion is biased AF towards cars with space for 4/5. I don't know how the rear seats on the Volvo fare but I believe they should be enough for short trips.

The RX-8 is a bit risky for a first car in my opinion. If you keep an eye on the oil and all that, it shouldn't give you too much trouble but that also depends on how the previous owner took care of it.

2 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

The Lexus CT200h is just a fancier Prius, which obviously comes with its advantages and disadvantages. Great mileage, great commuter, doesn't go much further than that.

Volvo's are tanks. And as in other cars, shit breaks. When it does, it isn't cheap. But they last long and are great cars, comfortable too. I'd dare say the C30 is a decent mix of affordable and cheap. It is based on a Ford Focus, and I don't know what components they share, but what they do must be cheap the Focus' are everywhere (at least in Europe). Engine is from Volvo and it's a tank. Expensive maintenance but at longer intervals.

For a first car, I'd recommend the Volvo out of these 4 options. Engine makes good power, good noises along with turbo noises. Handles alright too.

For me, the "Prius" is too boring of a car to have as a first one. But if you are looking for something JUST to commute with, that should be fine. But it is only that that it does alright.

Audi is a 2 seater, so no possibility of carrying friends around for some proper fuckery, other than that, it is a solid car and base if you want to go for more power, but that also goes with the Volvo. My opinion is biased AF towards cars with space for 4/5. I don't know how the rear seats on the Volvo fare but I believe they should be enough for short trips.

The RX-8 is a bit risky for a first car in my opinion. If you keep an eye on the oil and all that, it shouldn't give you too much trouble but that also depends on how the previous owner took care of it.

Just to be clear the TT does have backseats (the coupe does) they're just very small. It's my top pick if I find a good one. My biggest worry with the RX-8 is it's a RWD car in the winter, but if I'm careful it should be fine. Might depend how stressed I am as to whether I can handle the RX-8 adding stress to my life lol

10 minutes ago, Xaiux said:

Just to be clear the TT does have backseats (the coupe does) they're just very small. It's my top pick if I find a good one. My biggest worry with the RX-8 is it's a RWD car in the winter, but if I'm careful it should be fine. Might depend how stressed I am as to whether I can handle the RX-8 adding stress to my life lol

I totally forgot about that... Yeah, they're there, but not really useable :old-laugh:

A RWD car in the winter, with winter tires, should be fine.

If you really want to avoid stress, then avoid the rotaries :old-laugh:

9 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

It also looks a heck of a lot better

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

6 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I totally forgot about that... Yeah, they're there, but not really useable :old-laugh:

A RWD car in the winter, with winter tires, should be fine.
*snip

If you really want to avoid stress, than avoid the rotaries :old-laugh:

Yeah winter tires are assumed. No matter what car I get winters are a must

8 minutes ago, xXFitzXx said:

It also looks a heck of a lot better

Adding RGB to a computer doesn't make it a better computer 😉

1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I mean the prius is a good car, just ugly as sin 

Don't ask to ask. 
Thanks!

18 minutes ago, xXFitzXx said:

I mean the prius is a good car, just ugly as sin 

I saw a Prius with a "Cool Prius ~ Nobody" sticker on it the other day. Made me lol

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Guys should i widebody my non-existent prius

Don't ask to ask. 
Thanks!

1 minute ago, xXFitzXx said:

Guys should i widebody my non-existent prius

ULTRA wide body.

I passed a totaled Prius the other day. It was literally a roll-over. I don't mean it was rolled over when I passed it, it was driving, and everything was smashed on it. It had no muffler. Those things sound like a Taco Bell nightmare without a muffler.

1 hour ago, FakeFBI said:

ive seen so many god damn ct200h'z when going shopping, i see atleast 20 of them at the store they are evreywhere, and efficient and  arebaed off yaris chassis

1 hour ago, Xaiux said:

I was fairly sure it's just a Lexus Prius right?

yes its a prius with a nicer interior and exterior

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Just now, Sarra said:

ULTRA wide body.

I passed a totaled Prius the other day. It was literally a roll-over. I don't mean it was rolled over when I passed it, it was driving, and everything was smashed on it. It had no muffler. Those things sound like a Taco Bell nightmare without a muffler.

So i should definitly ultra widebody, atleast a 6 foot increase in width and also straight pipe it, twin turbo and supercharger, and also ls3 swap it. Gotcha. and that totaled prius probably looked better than the normal prius. 

Don't ask to ask. 
Thanks!

49 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

idk which parts of europe this isnt allowed in, but the volvo if it has turbo theroreticlly can be retuned, since turbos usually are tuned down for road use so you dont do drift in snow, (totally not my dad rip donuts in a parking lot with 2012 impreza)

30 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

its still a lexus so its still a good car 😄 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Just now, xXFitzXx said:

So i should definitly ultra widebody, atleast a 6 foot increase in width and also straight pipe it, twin turbo and supercharger, and also ls3 swap it. Gotcha. and that totaled prius probably looked better than the normal prius. 

6 foot, on each side? Or just widebody one side and call it good?

The totaled Prius looked just as much like ass as it did on the factory showroom. Only difference was the missing windows covered with plastic, and the aerodynamically superior crumpled body panels.