do you think this game will flop

Eduard the weeb
5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

@fpo your argument seems to be that the game will continually stay in Alpha, to milk people for money.

Yes, that is my argument. 

Our argument is that, according all indications, that's not true.

Aye, it seemed to be that. From my perspective it seemed that you had wishes that I tried to prove wrong. 

Ultimately, there's no way to "prove" this, until the game either comes out, or doesn't.

Yes, that is true. That's why I take my stance. They are forever in development till they put out a release date. (Kinda like the Grue concept from philosophy) However I've come across statements about Star Citizen stacking more things to the pile of "What we want to develop."

Here are some links.

Thank you! I'm reading through all of them before posting my official reply. (When you see this, I will have read through them.)

1. Fan-made dev tracker - development promises (and their status):

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Development_promises

2. Devtracker - Official - seems like Blogposts by Devs on progress, as well as some Q&A:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/devtracker

3. Unofficial Wiki - dev tracker:

https://starcitizen.tools/Star_Citizen_Alpha_3.0.0

https://starcitizen.tools/Star_Citizen_Alpha_3.1.0

https://starcitizen.tools/Star_Citizen_Alpha_3.2.0

https://starcitizen.tools/Star_Citizen_Alpha_3.3.0

https://starcitizen.tools/Star_Citizen_Alpha_4.0.0

3.1: Unofficial Wiki - Stretch Goals tracker - shows the implementation progress of all stretch goals (How much has actually made it into the game):

https://starcitizen.tools/Stretch_Goals

4. Official Star Citizen Production Update page (Updated frequently with the "current status" of things):

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Okay, so I read through them. They got a lot done, and have a lot to go. (not an argument, just a perspective observation.)

I didn't see dates of "added to list" nor any dates for specific features meant to be created. 

I cannot confirm, nor deny if they are adding things, though from some evidence I showed, there were hints of making the "to do" list longer. 

Spoiler

I don't want to build a game.
I want to build a universe.

More than a space combat sim, more than a first person shooter and more than an MMO: Star Citizen is the First Person Universe that will allow for unlimited gameplay.

The focus from my quotes is "I want to build a universe" and "Unlimited gameplay." In the Star Citizen video from Mandalore Gaming I linked, he had at one point stated they were adding things to the "to do" list. 

If they aren't adding things to the "todo" list, then I'm more aligned to the will come out. However with the funding, if they are adding things to the "to do list" then it makes more sense to me that they will indefinitely develop.

If there is no list of mention of "we are not expanding the to do list," nor "We added this (or more stuff) to the to do list" then I don't have an opinion on whether the game will come out or not. However I still think the game is succeeding, and will continue to succeed. 

Thank you for your polite reply, and organized points!! :D

@fpo take a look at Warframe; it's still in beta and no one really minds (it is not necessarily a bad thing). In all honesty, if they keep selling ship/vehicle/(station?) concepts (not regular ships) after launch of the persistent universe (observe that I don't say 'the game'; more on why later), I wouldn't mind as only people who wish to continue funding more features will keep pouring in money. As long as I have a playable universe that is not being reset after every patch, I think most of the people waiting so long will happily plunge into the game

'The Game' consists of the following:

1) Star Citizen (persistent universe shared by players online)

2) Squadron 42 (single player campaign)

3) Player hosted servers with modding support

Why is it not a problem if people buy things with real money before the launch of the game?

1) It is a 'to scale' universe afaik, so a big enough sandbox for people to get lost in

2) More expensive ship/weapon does not necessarily translate into power; incompetence/ignorance is more likely to kill you against an opponent. This is not a game with auto-lock/tab targeting where having more DPS and health naturally mean victory.

3) Backers who are buying a ton of stuff now and setting up organizations will be live player presence from Day 1; new players in the persistent universe will be able to find a populated environment where not just boring NPCs but player run organizations are there to interact with.

4) ...At this point, I am just going to stop myself and recommend you buy a Starter package and try out the game. You can choose to buy Squadron 42 or Star Citizen (persistent universe); I would recommend the latter. Join an organization and see the scope of it all. Even an organization that uses member funding to have the best combat fleet and the best ships will not automatically dominate the SC universe. It's just not possible. The why of it will become apparent when you play the game and understand the mechanics through play.

As the game strives to be a simulation, it is better absorbed through actual play if you want to understand it. It will perhaps also make it apparent why the SC community find it so hard to make someone who has not dived into the game understand what it is all about.

On a personal note, I am in it for the "3) Player hosted servers with modding support". :D

3 hours ago, Archon42 said:

Join an organization

You missed the opportunity to promote the Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate, our very own organisation ;)

(more information in my sig)

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

12 hours ago, fpo said:

1. I'm not a hater. Don't label someone pre-maturely. I think the game is very cool! It has the ambition never before seen fully created in a 3D game before. I never said it was a bad game.

You missed the word LIKE there. As-in you are LIKE haters in the way that like them you don't get the scale of this game. So i'll try to explain it here.

Right now in the alpha 3.0 you have access to a SMALL part of 1, ONE star system. This small part revolves around a single gas giant. It consists of a few stations, some asteroid belts and 3 moons. You can literally fit EVERY SINGLE first person game EVER made on those 3 moons and still have room for more. Hell add all the 3rd person games and you probably still have room left for more. Now back up to the part where i said 1 SMALL part of ONE system. This system will have more actual (bigger) planets you can land on and more moons and stations before it is complete. At that point its still only 1 system of the 100 planned.

Read that part until you can wrap your head around it and understand the scale of this game.

12 hours ago, fpo said:

Just because a company says something, doesn't mean it's true. A common conception is the EA (Electronic Arts) doesn't sell you an entire game. They 'half finish it, keep it broken sell you dlc, and never finish it.'

Ah, right of course. So what you're saying is i shouldn't trust the people openly showing everything they are doing and explaining how they do it, the people creating this game. But i should trust all the people in your links, who are posting opinions and speculations BASED on the things the people creating the game say.

Ah yes that makes sense. I'm so sorry i actually trust the people creating the game of my dreams who i have trusted with $868,10 of my money and not some guy somewhere typing up his opinions and speculations or saying them to some camera to get more views on his channel.

yes that was sarcasm.

16 hours ago, Helly said:

in those video's you will see that these people are not in it for the money, they are extremely passionate people who want this game to be a reality as much as we do. They work towards a finished game with all the promised features in it.

12 hours ago, fpo said:

Just because a company says something, doesn't mean it's true.

Again you don't read what i say. READ the line there "you will SEE that these people ...". SEE as-in look with your eyes. Go to their youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/robertsspaceind) and watch all the around the verse and happy hours from the last 6 months. Actually watch anything from the actual creators for once.

Oh and while you're there check the subscriber number. That's probably mostly the core of the SC community and includes all those "whales" you keep refering to. Do notice that the number is actually only 324K. Which is a stupid low number for an MMO. So yeah those 85% sales are still very much in the future.

12 hours ago, fpo said:

The following can indicate that the game is near finished:

" Star Citizen Development began in 2011. As of 3.0, CIG has given us space combat, FPS shooter mode, EVA, ground vehicles, planetary landing, etc etc. Compared to the 'complexity' and 'depth' of a game like DIablo III, I'd say CIG managed to get a ton of stuff done in 'just' ~7yrs. Still alpha, so still unstable, but by no means an indication that it will fail to impress as a final product when the time comes. The problem here is having people pay to get the ball rolling (unlike D3), and people are unhappy over how long they are having to wait. Though we didn't see it happen, Blizzard surely had to justify keeping D3 under development to their investors. "

Can indicate how? This is again just an opinion based on no knowledge of the actual goal of what the game should be and what they want the final game to contain. Because the goal list you posted about before from the actual CIG website is the ONLY source you posted that posted any truth that can be trusted. Read the explaination of the scale of the game again and then tell me this game is near finished.....

12 hours ago, fpo said:

However, the game doesn't ever HAVE to be FINISHED. They can say "Well, we invented every possible combination of ship, weapon, and car... Let's create and now impliment aliens!" 

So the company CAN say

a. Okay build 1.0, it's done, but we'll add stuff.

b. It's now 2025, and we're still adding things, as well as coming up with great ideas! 

Sorry to ruin your day but its actually still just 2018. Unless you're posting from the future, which would be a feat indeed. Also build 1.0 was long long ago. we're on alpha build 3.0 now. I guess you mean release build 1.0, but that is still probably 2 years away as we all here have said quite a few times (you don't need a link for that do you?).

17 hours ago, fpo said:

To reiterate my argument:

The game will not flop. The game will simply be developed for as long as they can be crowd funded. Because the fan-base seems to adore giving money to the company, and that there are many tactics to get money from the high paying consumers, they will continue to remain in development indefinitely from the perspective of this moment. 

If they do ever release, it will likely be when the game has lost its popularity. 

Yes Mr. Broken record i read your "argument". Remember where you asked where you say things that don't make any sense? Well there you have it.... 1 "argument" amongst oh so many of them.

12 hours ago, fpo said:

As long as they say "We're still working on it" customers will say "We're still funding it." People want the game to succeed in features, so they're making it succeed in money. There's no reason to ever release it because you can always add a feature to a future space ship MMO game.

Problem with this and what makes it not make any sense is this: they don't just SAY they're working on it, they SHOW that they are working on it. Every day of every week we get an update on the progress they are making. They don't just say things, they show us to. But since you don't watch any of their video's you wouldn't know that.

and finally you talk about their to-do list and your opinion and speculation about it getting longer. Remember the goals list you found and thought that all the 100%'s meant it was ready and in the game? Well those are the goals of what they are putting in the game. Anything that goes on the to-do list is to achieve getting those goals done, or to just make the features in those goals better. The goals were described back in 2012/2013 after all....

I have no signature

18 hours ago, Archon42 said:

@fpo take a look at Warframe; it's still in beta and no one really minds

Aye, as with Minecraft. 

(it is not necessarily a bad thing). In all honesty, if they keep selling ship/vehicle/(station?) concepts (not regular ships) after launch of the persistent universe (observe that I don't say 'the game'; more on why later), I wouldn't mind as only people who wish to continue funding more features will keep pouring in money.

I do believe this to be very plausible. The only reason I don't think the game will release is that most of the people buying the ships want the game to keep being developed. I think they might have an issue if they say "Okay we're releasing 1.0" as many times after a game hits 1.0, the developers move onto something else. 

Because of that one thing, I think the company will stay labelling as Early Access. When the game hopefully releases, I do not doubt that people will still buy ships. One of the main insentives to currently buy ships is it helps aid develop the game. After launch it is less of a contribution to work on the game. 

As long as I have a playable universe that is not being reset after every patch, I think most of the people waiting so long will happily plunge into the game

This is likely why people are waiting. 

'The Game' consists of the following:

1) Star Citizen (persistent universe shared by players online)

2) Squadron 42 (single player campaign)

Currently? Or will? 

Why is it not a problem if people buy things with real money before the launch of the game?

It's not. I'm thinking there's more incentive for the company to say it's still in early access. 

1) It is a 'to scale' universe afaik, so a big enough sandbox for people to get lost in

2) More expensive ship/weapon does not necessarily translate into power; incompetence/ignorance is more likely to kill you against an opponent. This is not a game with auto-lock/tab targeting where having more DPS and health naturally mean victory.

3) Backers who are buying a ton of stuff now and setting up organizations will be live player presence from Day 1; new players in the persistent universe will be able to find a populated environment where not just boring NPCs but player run organizations are there to interact with.

Good points. None of them are wrong. 

4) ...At this point, I am just going to stop myself and recommend you buy a Starter package and try out the game.

I would, and want to, but it's a huge distraction from Uni work, & my desktop isn't with me. 

You can choose to buy Squadron 42 or Star Citizen (persistent universe); I would recommend the latter. Join an organization and see the scope of it all. Even an organization that uses member funding to have the best combat fleet and the best ships will not automatically dominate the SC universe. It's just not possible. The why of it will become apparent when you play the game and understand the mechanics through play.

part of your other points; still good though. 

As the game strives to be a simulation, it is better absorbed through actual play if you want to understand it. It will perhaps also make it apparent why the SC community find it so hard to make someone who has not dived into the game understand what it is all about.

I understand what the game is about. I am well aware that games like truck simulator are immensely popular. I simply believe it is the company labeling what state the game is will continue to be "Early Access" for ever from my perspective. I'm waiting for "Dalekphalm" to get back to me on if they are, or are not adding things to the todo list. That will ultimately sway me towards indefinite early access, or they are actually planning on releasing at this moment in time. However if they also have an official specific date of release that will also tell me that the game is 100% being released, and not put into development .... Purgatory? it's not in Hell, I know that much. 

On a personal note, I am in it for the "3) Player hosted servers with modding support". :D

So I guess that part is currently in. 

Just to remind you of my original statement:

I watched a discussion about it and it’s not going to flop. It’s simply being funded greatly by its audience, so they’re going to keep making it as long as they’re getting paid. 

I think the game is great, and a cool experience, I don't hate it. I never meant any of my statements to say that it's a bad company. They're providing the product, however it's also smart for them to capitalize on the income. Any smart business should. 

11 minutes ago, fpo said:

I'm waiting for "Dalekphalm" to get back to me on if they are, or are not adding things to the todo list. That will ultimately sway me towards indefinite early access, or they are actually planning on releasing at this moment in time. However if they also have an official specific date of release that will also tell me that the game is 100% being released, and not put into development .... Purgatory? it's not in Hell, I know that much.

So, no, they are not adding new goals to the "to do list". Note, I said new goals, not "adding things".

Why? Because saying they can never "add things" is a completely unrealistic expectation for a game currently under development.

For example, they recently added MobiGlass, which is a new UI/Interface in-game. It's basically a combination Smart-Watch/HUD, that your character wears on their wrist.

This feature, as far as I'm aware, wasn't listed in the original Kickstarter. But it was added to solve a problem: The older UI was clunky and not user friendly. Fixing the UI, solved a problem.

So, they are not adding new goals. They do add new "things", as needed, to overcome existing obstacles. No one should have a problem with this.

Also, as to this:

No, that is not in-game yet. We likely won't see that until closer to launch. Perhaps another year of development, after they introduce FTL travel, and multiple user-accessible systems.

One other point: No, there is no confirmed release date, specifically because they're still 1-2 years away from release. They specifically stopped making release dates because people got upset when they didn't make them because the game is far from being ready.

Unrealistic expectations, in my opinion. And unwise. The devs have specifically said they do not want to unnecessarily rush the game. The whole reason they are kickstarting instead of a traditional publisher is they don't want to be bossed around and forced into releasing a game that isn't ready yet.

We'll see a release date announced when the game is closer to release. I'd make an assumption that the game will get a release date in about a year to a year and a half (with the release date being around 2 years from now). This is my own assumption, and is based on guesses, based on following development progress.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

14 hours ago, Helly said:

You missed the word LIKE there. As-in you are LIKE haters in the way that like them you don't get the scale of this game. So i'll try to explain it here.

I understand the scale of the game. I quoted "building a universe" but I'll read your explanation anyway. 

Right now in the alpha 3.0 you have access to a SMALL part of 1, ONE star system. This small part revolves around a single gas giant. It consists of a few stations, some asteroid belts and 3 moons. You can literally fit EVERY SINGLE first person game EVER made on those 3 moons and still have room for more. Hell add all the 3rd person games and you probably still have room left for more. Now back up to the part where i said 1 SMALL part of ONE system. This system will have more actual (bigger) planets you can land on and more moons and stations before it is complete. At that point its still only 1 system of the 100 planned.

And that's cool. 

Read that part until you can wrap your head around it and understand the scale of this game.

I never said there was anything wrong with that, nor that I didn't understand the scale. I got it. 

Ah, right of course. So what you're saying is i shouldn't trust the people openly showing everything they are doing and explaining how they do it, the people creating this game. But i should trust all the people in your links, who are posting opinions and speculations BASED on the things the people creating the game say.

No, I'm just saying that the company may not tell you the whole truth. 

Ah yes that makes sense. I'm so sorry i actually trust the people creating the game of my dreams who i have trusted with $868,10

You're part evidence to the people funding the game whilst it's in development. You're evidence of people spending money to make sure the game gets developed. I never said that was a bad thing. 

of my money and not some guy somewhere typing up his opinions and speculations or saying them to some camera to get more views on his channel.

yes that was sarcasm.

Um.... okay? Not my channel-but sure. 

Again you don't read what i say. READ the line there "you will SEE that these people ...". SEE as-in look with your eyes. Go to their youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/robertsspaceind) and watch all the around the verse and happy hours from the last 6 months. Actually watch anything from the actual creators for once.

Oh and while you're there check the subscriber number. That's probably mostly the core of the SC community and includes all those "whales" you keep refering to. Do notice that the number is actually only 324K. Which is a stupid low number for an MMO. So yeah those 85% sales are still very much in the future.

Can you provide clarification? I'm not sure what you're saying here. 

I understand you want me to watch the youtube channel, but the second part I'm unsure of what you mean. 

Can indicate how? This is again just an opinion based on no knowledge of the actual goal of what the game should be

It's not a statement of what a game should be. It's the minimum I would say that can make up the galaxy space simulation game. 

and what they want the final game to contain.

I'm only saying it will indefinitely remain in early access because they literally want an entire universe in the game. 

Because the goal list you posted about before from the actual CIG website is the ONLY source you posted that posted any truth that can be trusted.

Sure. Okay. 

Read the explaination of the scale of the game again and then tell me this game is near finished.....

I'll use my same reply from earlier in the post here as well: 

It's not a statement of what a game should be. It's the minimum I would say that can make up the galaxy space simulation game. 

Sorry to ruin your day

It didn't. My day was going quite well actually. 

but its actually still just 2018. Unless you're posting from the future, which would be a feat indeed.

Ditto. 

Also build 1.0 was long long ago. we're on alpha build 3.0 now. I guess you mean release build 1.0,

Yes, that is what I'm talking about. I should've been more specific in my meaning. 

but that is still probably 2 years away as we all here have said quite a few times (you don't need a link for that do you?).

I'm saying it's indefinitely away. 

Yes Mr. Broken record i read your "argument". Remember where you asked where you say things that don't make any sense? Well there you have it.... 1 "argument" amongst oh so many of them.

Are you deliberately trolling me, or just a child? 

Problem with this and what makes it not make any sense is this: they don't just SAY they're working on it, they SHOW that they are working on it.

Which helps persuade people to donate money. I did note this in a previous reply. I'm done linking what's been said in quotes, so if you're antsy on seeing if it was actually said you can look. Otherwise, don't say I didn't say it. 

Every day of every week we get an update on the progress they are making. They don't just say things, they show us to. But since you don't watch any of their video's you wouldn't know that.

I don't have to watch their videos to know they're working on it. As I just said, I know they can get money, and actually deliver product too. 

and finally you talk about their to-do list and your opinion and speculation about it getting longer. Remember the goals list you found and thought that all the 100%'s meant it was ready and in the game? Well those are the goals of what they are putting in the game.

So it's a misleading web page. 

Anything that goes on the to-do list is to achieve getting those goals done, or to just make the features in those goals better. The goals were described back in 2012/2013 after all....

Okay. 

PS

I get this is your dream game. I never said there was anything wrong with the game, business model, or anything. I just said it was smart to do what they're doing to make money. 

19 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

So, no, they are not adding new goals to the "to do list". Note, I said new goals, not "adding things".

Why? Because saying they can never "add things" is a completely unrealistic expectation for a game currently under development.

For example, they recently added MobiGlass, which is a new UI/Interface in-game. It's basically a combination Smart-Watch/HUD, that your character wears on their wrist.

This feature, as far as I'm aware, wasn't listed in the original Kickstarter. But it was added to solve a problem: The older UI was clunky and not user friendly. Fixing the UI, solved a problem.

So, they are not adding new goals. They do add new "things", as needed, to overcome existing obstacles. No one should have a problem with this.

I wouldn't qualify that as "new." I meant new features being tacked on, like "We're going to add an alien race." Or something that adds new stuff to the game not originally intended. Changing the way things function don't really count, but I'm glad you're open to seeing what may qualify. 

As it stands, they don't seem to have plans to add more stuff to the list, but they're not opposed to doing so. My personal thoughts are now: I cannot say. They don't have an official stance, so I'm only retaining half of my original statement stating the game will not flop. 

Also, as to this:

No, that is not in-game yet. We likely won't see that until closer to launch. Perhaps another year of development, after they introduce FTL travel, and multiple user-accessible systems.

I thought so. Mods are really tricky, and annoying to develop. Especially for large bloated games. 

One other point: No, there is no confirmed release date, specifically because they're still 1-2 years away from release. They specifically stopped making release dates because people got upset when they didn't make them because the game is far from being ready.

This was one of the things that was pointing me to say the game may never come out of Early access. There's so much the game wants. 

Unrealistic expectations, in my opinion. And unwise. The devs have specifically said they do not want to unnecessarily rush the game.

1. You can't. 

2. People spent so many thousands, you'd be mob murdered if you did. 

The whole reason they are kickstarting instead of a traditional publisher is they don't want to be bossed around and forced into releasing a game that isn't ready yet.

Nothing wrong with that! I don't like being bossed around either haha. But in my experience-sometimes deadlines make you work better. But for a project like this, it would likely ruin the game. 

We'll see a release date announced when the game is closer to release. I'd make an assumption that the game will get a release date in about a year to a year and a half (with the release date being around 2 years from now). This is my own assumption, and is based on guesses, based on following development progress.

Little big planet took 4~ years to develop. Half-Life 2 took 6~. I'm thinking this one may take almost 10 years..... which actually lines up with your predictions now that I say it haha. 

Thanks for replying, and trying to find things for me. 

I hope this is your final reply. I saw you were editing it. 

10 hours ago, fpo said:

I understand the scale of the game. I quoted "building a universe" but I'll read your explanation anyway.

I'm only saying it will indefinitely remain in early access because they literally want an entire universe in the game. 

So your problem is you take things to literally. 100 star systems hardly means an actual universe. The real one has at least trillions of star systems more after all. However if they use procedural generation to generate new star systems it could actually happen as there will be an exploration aspect in the game. They just need the technology (which they are working on) to generate new systems and the game could create itself. The game doesn't need to be in development for this to happen though... once its finished it can just create itself. So it's no reason to stay in development which is why they won't do that.

11 hours ago, fpo said:

I understand you want me to watch the youtube channel, but the second part I'm unsure of what you mean.

Just a small argument to show that most of the people who want to play the game are waiting for it to be released. Doesn't matter i suppose.

11 hours ago, fpo said:

Yes your opinion on what a galaxy space simulation should be is 1 tiny part of 1 star system. We got that earlier. Another "argument" of yours that doesn't make any sense. Also you first say it's suppose to be a universe, now its just a galaxy? 2 very different things you know.... galaxy is more accurate though so good job on using the right term ;).

11 hours ago, fpo said:

Um.... okay? Not my channel-but sure. 

Yeah, wasn't talking about you (well maybe partially when i talked about the typing). I was talking about your so called "evidence" links. Links that always go to some video or article from someone who has nothing to do with the company creating this game. But good job on the reading and understand again ;).

11 hours ago, fpo said:

I'm saying it's indefinitely away.

And we're all saying you're wrong. Which you are... continuously.

11 hours ago, fpo said:

Are you deliberately trolling me, or just a child? 

Little bit of both i suppose. We are talking about a game here after all so don't we all have our inner child? As a wise man once said: "why so serious?"

11 hours ago, fpo said:

I don't have to watch their videos to know they're working on it. As I just said, I know they can get money, and actually deliver product too. 

Delivering a product means its finished. So now you are contradicting yourself and saying they will finish and go out of early access? If you're going to argue, at least do it consistently.

11 hours ago, fpo said:

Yes it is i suppose, but only to you. Everyone else understood it being a stretch goal page to follow along with the funding and see which goals were unlocking. Now you can get a rough idea of what features will be in the final game and what they are aiming for and to check to see if they actually do what they promised.

11 hours ago, fpo said:

I'm only retaining half of my original statement stating the game will not flop.

Well now we're getting somewhere. You admit to being wrong about everything but the one thing we all agreed on long before you even made that statement. Nice :D.

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

This is actually not accurate anymore. This was the case for alpha 3.0. They have now switched to a different release schedule and a new release will be done every 3 months. The first of these releases is to come in march so we don't know if they are going to actually keep to it but they do keep saying that they are... so wait and see on this. A final release date has not and will not be given for hopefully obvious reasons.

I have no signature

2 hours ago, Helly said:

This is actually not accurate anymore. This was the case for alpha 3.0. They have now switched to a different release schedule and a new release will be done every 3 months. The first of these releases is to come in march so we don't know if they are going to actually keep to it but they do keep saying that they are... so wait and see on this. A final release date has not and will not be given for hopefully obvious reasons.

You misunderstand my comment.

They are doing a quarterly release schedule for Alpha Updates. But they have not, and will not (anytime soon) commit to a public release date. That was my point, and that point remains unchallenged.

Also, I get you're passionate about the game - I am too. We seem to have the same opinions for the most part. But I would suggest cooling it a bit. Your posts seem a bit too personal and aggressive - even if I disagree with @fpo's reasoning. Attack his arguments, not him.

@fpo

Let me explain exactly what the web page actually was for - this link, I think is what you were talking about:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

So, this is not to track the progress of development. But instead, it was to track the progress of funding, to reach any of the stated goals.

For example, the 2nd last goal - pets - $64,000,000 USD.

What the "100%" means is that they went from $63,000,000 USD funding to $64,000,000 funding. The goal, was reached - hence the "100%".

If you had checked the website when, say, funding was at $63,500,000 USD, you would have seen that goal at "50%". $63,750,000 would have been "75%", etc. Once the funding goal was reached, it would hit 100%, and the next goal would start to tick up from 0% up to eventually 100%.

If you look closely, you'll also see dates beside many of the goals. These are the dates in which RSI got enough donations to reach said goal.

$61,000,000 was reached on Nov. 8, 2014.

$62,000,000 was reached on Nov. 21, 2014.

$63,000,000 was reached on Nov. 25, 2014.

The last 2 goals don't have dates on them, but I assume they either forgot, since they stopped issuing new stretch goals, or all 3 of the last goals were reached on the same day.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Also, I get you're passionate about the game - I am too. We seem to have the same opinions for the most part. But I would suggest cooling it a bit. Your posts seem a bit too personal and aggressive - even if I disagree with @fpo's reasoning. Attack his arguments, not him.

It was a pleasure debating with you Dalekphalm, however I decided to ignore the user Helly for the reasons you listed here. 

@fpo

Let me explain exactly what the web page actually was for - this link, I think is what you were talking about:

Yeah, that's a link I misunderstood at first. 

So, this is not to track the progress of development. But instead, it was to track the progress of funding, to reach any of the stated goals.

For example, the 2nd last goal - pets - $64,000,000 USD.

What the "100%" means is that they went from $63,000,000 USD funding to $64,000,000 funding. The goal, was reached - hence the "100%".

If you had checked the website when, say, funding was at $63,500,000 USD, you would have seen that goal at "50%". $63,750,000 would have been "75%", etc. Once the funding goal was reached, it would hit 100%, and the next goal would start to tick up from 0% up to eventually 100%.

If you look closely, you'll also see dates beside many of the goals. These are the dates in which RSI got enough donations to reach said goal.

$61,000,000 was reached on Nov. 8, 2014.

$62,000,000 was reached on Nov. 21, 2014.

$63,000,000 was reached on Nov. 25, 2014.

The last 2 goals don't have dates on them, but I assume they either forgot, since they stopped issuing new stretch goals, or all 3 of the last goals were reached on the same day.

That makes sense. At this day in age it's a bit confusing, thank you for explaining it to me. 

I appreciate your willingness to politely explain things, however without any offense intended, I don't want to comment in this thread anymore. 

If I do end up picking this game up, I'd love to party up with you. You seem like a nice person!!! 

1 hour ago, fpo said:

It was a pleasure debating with you Dalekphalm, however I decided to ignore the user Helly for the reasons you listed here. 

That makes sense. At this day in age it's a bit confusing, thank you for explaining it to me. 

I appreciate your willingness to politely explain things, however without any offense intended, I don't want to comment in this thread anymore. 

If I do end up picking this game up, I'd love to party up with you. You seem like a nice person!!! 

No worries. Please make a post if you ever end up joining the game! And if/when the game does come out, be sure to read some reviews (as with any game) - because as good as it looks - we won't know how it'll really turn out.

2 hours ago, fpo said:

I decided to ignore the user Helly for the reasons you listed here. 

Don't worry about it, i'm used to it. You've been doing that for a while now actually.

2 hours ago, fpo said:
2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

after all i did explain that a few days ago. You responded to it cuz you quoted it but i guess you forgot? Happened to me a few times as well with your reply's. So its ok. Nice to know i'm not the only one that doesn't really reads messages back.

On 1/24/2018 at 1:17 PM, Helly said:

you don't understand the strech goals page AT ALL. That list does NOT say 100% when its in-game and finished.... its 100% because the amount of funding associated with that goal was reached. for instance when they reached 10 million they said they would build their own mo-cap studio. Which they have as it has been shown in a few video's.

All that list says is that everything on there will be done or build into the game at some point. It doesn't mean that its already done.

Nice arguing with you all :D. Until next time.

I have no signature

@fpo @dalekphalm @Helly

Just FYI, I enjoyed your civil debate in this thread, I have read it all. A rare occurrence on the internet these days :)

I wanted to butt in at some points, but I was also curious where it was going so I decided against it.

The new RSI website went live today and I think it gives a clearer overview of where to find necessary information. I think a feature that will be greatly appreciated here is the roadmap (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen).

People wanted to see the goals and to-do list? No more need for external links, it is right here!

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

55 minutes ago, Wauthar said:

@fpo @dalekphalm @Helly

Just FYI, I enjoyed your civil debate in this thread, I have read it all. A rare occurrence on the internet these days :)

I wanted to butt in at some points, but I was also curious where it was going so I decided against it.

The new RSI website went live today and I think it gives a clearer overview of where to find necessary information. I think a feature that will be greatly appreciated here is the roadmap (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen).

People wanted to see the goals and to-do list? No more need for external links, it is right here!

That is fucking awesome.

Man they needed this site like 2 years ago :P

I do appreciate the "CAVEATS" landing page - I assume that only appears once and it uses a cookie to tell if you've clicked "got it" before.

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly cant see how it couldn't, then again i've been wrong before (grumbles in November 2016)

• 1 month later...

No, Star Citizen will NOT flop. Chris Roberts has raised way too much money for this game to flop.

Chris Roberts knows all to well that if the most expensive game of all time (trust me, it will get there) turns out to be a flop, that his entire reputiation, his career, and his life, are all entirely over. You cant recover from a $200 million USD scam in the video game industry, thats just fact. Not to mention the class-action lawsuit that is almost GUARANTEED to happen in the event of this games' flopping.

We need to keep in mind that this IS the largest, and most extensive video game undertaking in the HISTORY OF MANKIND. Naturally it will take a serious amount of time to complete. Certain games have taken nearly a decade to develop, games that have NOWHERE NEAR the level of detail or the scope of Star Citizen.

Give them until the end of 2020. If something seriously close to a completely finished product isn't up and running by then, THEN you have reason to worry. But will the game flop even in this senario? No, because again, too much money and too much at stake.

What MIGHT happen is that Chris Roberts either cuts his losses and sells the game to a big-time development company like Activision to finish the game, or he cuts out features and finishes the game as-is, just to have a product to show for all of that money.

Regardless, its kind of impossible for Star Citizen to flop at this point. 3.0 is practically a full game, so all they need to do is finish the system, then copy-paste the base code into other systems and simply make new planets, buildings, stations, and missions. Seems kind of hard to completely ruin a release when you already have a fully functional product, even if frame rates suck and alot of polish is needed.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread: