Hacker Collusion - 1.4 BILLION Credentials in a Single Database

FirstArmada

Source

On December 9, researchers from security firm 4iQ reported a massive collective database of usernames and passwords hosted on the dark web and on torrent sites. Compiled into a massive 41GB dump file, 4iQ researchers called it the “largest collection of credentials found in the dark web to date”.

To be clear this is not a new leak, but a huge database of numerous data breaches combined. Why this matters is it makes it much much easier for crackers to access your accounts by making cracking a very easy thing to set up, mind you it is still time-consuming running through a list of 1.4 billion credentials but just having it all in one place is a huge convenience for crackers.

Article

Spoiler

Article

A Massive Resource for Cybercriminals Makes it Easy to Access Billions of Credentials.

Now even unsophisticated and newbie hackers can access the largest trove ever of sensitive credentials in an underground community forum. Is the cyber crime epidemic about become an exponentially worse?

While scanning the deep and dark web for stolen, leaked or lost data, 4iQdiscovered a single file with a database of 1.4 billion clear text credentials — the largest aggregate database found in the dark web to date.

None of the passwords are encrypted, and what’s scary is the we’ve tested a subset of these passwords and most of the have been verified to be true.

The breach is almost two times larger than the previous largest credential exposure, the Exploit.in combo list that exposed 797 million records. This dump aggregates 252 previous breaches, including known credential lists such as Anti Public and Exploit.in, decrypted passwords of known breaches like LinkedIn as well as smaller breaches like Bitcoin and Pastebin sites.

This is not just a list. It is an aggregated, interactive database that allows for fast (one second response) searches and new breach imports. Given the fact that people reuse passwords across their email, social media, e-commerce, banking and work accounts, hackers can automate account hijacking or account takeover.

This database makes finding passwords faster and easier than ever before. As an example searching for “admin,” “administrator” and “root” returned 226,631 passwords of admin users in a few seconds.

The data is organized alphabetically, offering examples of trends in how people set passwords, reuse them and create repetitive patterns over time. The breach offers concrete insights into password trends, cementing the need for recommendations, such as the NIST Cybersecurity Framework.

While we are still processing the data, below are the technical details of our initial findings, including:

• Sources of the Data
  • Details about the Dump File
  • Data Freshness
  • Discoveries regarding Credential Stuffing and Password Reuse

Source of the Data

The dump includes a file called “imported.log” with 256 corpuses listed, including and with added data from all those in the Exploit.in and Anti Public dumps as well as 133 addition or new breaches. Some examples of the breaches listed the file we found:

1*QE5WX5CPfppjPxlt82sdnQ.png

Last breaches added to the database

About the Dump File

The 41GB dump was found on 5th December 2017 in an underground community forum. The database was recently updated with the last set of data inserted on 11/29/2017. The total amount of credentials (usernames/clear text password pairs) is 1,400,553,869.

There is not indication of the author of the database and tools, although Bitcoin and Dogecoin wallets are included for donation.

The data is structured in an alphabetic directory tree fragmented in 1,981 pieces to allow fast searches.

1*CnrwTjzHyNpASbNrvyTa0w.png

Data is fragmented and sorted in two and three level directories

The dump includes search tools and insert scripts explained in a README file.

Freshness

We’ve found that although the majority of these breaches are known within the Breach and Hacker community, 14% of exposed username/passwords pairs had not previously been decrypted by the community and are now available in clear text.

We compared the data with the combination of two larger clear text exposures, aggregating the data from Exploit.in and Anti Public. This new breach adds 385 million new credential pairs, 318 million unique users, and 147 million passwords pertaining to those previous dumps.

1*68ZzbKLZfqNLs4aPYehxXg.png

Data comparison with Exploit.in and Anti Public breaches

Credential Stuffing and Password Reuse

Since the data is alphabetically organized, the massive problem of password reuse — — same or very similar passwords for different accounts — — appears constantly and is easily detectable.

A couple of the constant examples of password reuse that can be found:

1*l3MBLpu8gEEP3B1bvJd3Tg.png

password reuse examples discovered

And how password patterns changes over time:

1*okpAehSDIyOSz2OT4LLiSw.png

password patterns discovered

Top Passwords

The list of top 40 Passwords and volume found:

1*vhRjLa9_0_WUuWus8DxakQ.png

More Analysis, Stay Tuned

This experience of searching and finding passwords within this database is as scary as it is shocking. Almost all of the users we’ve checked have verified the passwords we found were true. Most reactions were

but that’s an old password…

commonly followed by an

Oh my god! I still use that password in <this> site…

a few seconds later.

4iQ’s mission is to protect your digital identity in the new data breach era by scanning the surface, social and deep and dark web.

We will be following up with more information soon and will provide solutions to protect consumers and companies from this and other alarming exposures.

UPDATE

Here's how to see of you've been effected without going out and finding the database

You can use Troy Hunt’s https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords where you can type a password and verify if it is exposed in his compilation of 320M passwords.

We are happy to send exposed passwords (truncated) to you.

If you write us an email to verification@4iq.com with subject line: Password Exposure Check we will respond with the truncated list of found passwords for that email. Of course we will only report the passwords related to the specific email from which you write us. So if you want to verify different emails you will have to send an email from each of them.

We would appreciate help in verifying the authenticity of the data. Once you get our reply from verification@4iq.com, be sure to reset your passwords and for those that are no longer in use, let us know if the truncated password is correct — we will publish statistics on these findings.

God Damn it. PEOPLE STOP USING P@SSWORD.. 

including me... :ph34r:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Brb, have to download a file. 

For real though, while I'm not surprised this exists, it still doesn't change the fact that it's a bit scary it exists

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

What the hell, how are people so stupid as to use these shitty passwords? That's just asking for getting screwed... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

34 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

What the hell, how are people so stupid as to use these shitty passwords? That's just asking for getting screwed... 

Well in this case a very good password is in plain view so doesnt matter either way. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Well in this case a very good password is in plain view so doesnt matter either way. 

im mostly refering to the statistics, how the most used password is "password"... thats just out right stupid, anyone should be able to get that its a shitty choice

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

im mostly refering to the statistics, how the most used password is "password"... thats just out right stupid, anyone should be able to get that its a shitty choice

no shit "password" is a bad password. I am surprised that you think people would have learned over the years. 

3JzdT6p.gif

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

For anyone looking at the "password" and loosing faith to the humanity - it's only  0.6%. top 5 sums up to only 1.1824% #ididthemath So calm down, people aren't that stupid

Edited by ignaloidas
I did the math

monkey and dragon are my favourites.

Also, is this list searchable? so you can check for usernames you use?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

39 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

It is quite easy to find aswell, if you know where to look that is

1 hour ago, Nicnac said:

Ctrl+F should work

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

it's completely worth it for someone to buy say, 6 high end gpu's and get through that list in only a couple hours if their goal of cracking x password means the gain outweighs the cost.

Make sure you aren't in the list, people.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

40 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Ctrl+F should work

dunno if u jk ... I mean is the full list published somewhere so people can check if they are affected?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

6 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

dunno if u jk ... I mean is the full list published somewhere so people can check if they are affected?

You can download it to check

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm sure it's not hard to find via google

Found it in the update section of the source link that sneaky op has cleverly hidden from me :P 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

I'm not surprised by 39 of the top 40 passwords, but how the heck is homelesspa one of them?!?!

What I find most concerning with this is that its easy to look at particular user's password patterns. (For example one user may use GooglePassword then LTTPassword, and if they updated their pattern and one site was breached, it makes it pretty easy for someone to guess another sites password.) Granted a user shouldn't use a pattern for their passwords, but you know its common. (At least when they arn't outright reusing the same one)

UPDATE

Here's how to see of you've been effected without going out and finding the database

You can use Troy Hunt’s https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords where you can type a password and verify if it is exposed in his compilation of 320M passwords.

We are happy to send exposed passwords (truncated) to you.

If you write us an email to verification@4iq.com with subject line: Password Exposure Check we will respond with the truncated list of found passwords for that email. Of course we will only report the passwords related to the specific email from which you write us. So if you want to verify different emails you will have to send an email from each of them.

We would appreciate help in verifying the authenticity of the data. Once you get our reply from verification@4iq.com, be sure to reset your passwords and for those that are no longer in use, let us know if the truncated password is correct — we will publish statistics on these findings.

I used a simple password for years, just because I thought I would not get hit. Guess people underestimate their chances of getting pwned.