DO NOT BUY FROM ORIGIN PC!

I bought one of Origin PC's custom builds for $3,100 but when it arrived (a week late) it came with damage to the paint to the top panel of the case and inside the fan grille. With the premium price tag (which was around $1,000 overpriced) I decided to return the PC. I made sure to email Origin tech team about the damage to the paint during shipping and the return. They responded. A few weeks later Origin PC refunded me $2,400 (the price I spent on the build was $3,100). That's a loss of $700 down the drain ??. Keep in mind this all happened during the 30 day money back guarantee. I'm building my own PC now but my budget is much lower due to those money hungry people. Give me your thoughts on this. Do you think there is there anything I can do? I have emailed them about the refund amount but they keep giving me BS about the paint. I even took pictures when it arrived to prove that it wasn't me. Some areas weren't even painted red (inside the grille for fans there were white patches) so that was the paint teams fault and would not be possible for me to do. In conclusion, I have decided to tell people about my experience so that they don't fall into the same trap I did. Build your own PC guys...

-moved to member reviews-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

prebuilts are good tho. I own a ryzen 7 1700x and rx 580 8gb system from dell for 770$ on sale and its been fine. With that budget get a 1080ti and a 8700k and ur good

[...] I feel you, that kind of things shouldn't happen. Always build your own pc.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers
already moved

When you emailed them about the damage and about sending it back, what did they say? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

What was their reasoning for not giving you a full refund? I'm sure they didn't just give you a partial refund and expect you to just accept it. We're not really getting the full story here.

As @Sakkura suggested, if they refuse after a lengthy discussion, then go to your credit card company.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

what likely happened was they charged you their restocking fee +shipping. Same with newegg. Bought a 1500 laptop on black friday and some of the newegg advertising was wrong and when i got the laptop i went to return it and they were only gonna refund like 1150 or something like that. be very careful about charge backs tho. although you may think your in the right by doing it you can also get sued by doing it or even blacklisted. especially if that restock fee is listed anywhere on their site. and newegg has their extended holiday replacement return guarantee right now too

thats how i ended up with a laptop that should of had a 1070 with a 120hz gsync panel but got a 60hz panel with gsync... which is essentially just oh i have gsync bragging rights....

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Please keep this on topic, we don't need first posts or posts discussing them

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

That is one hell of a restocking fee then....!!! 700+ bucks?

First off... if it was damaged during shipping, then they needed to contact the shipping company and I know for 100% fact they have insurance because no way they wouldn't. They not only got your money, they might have gotten the insurance money as well. Total rip off. I would do a chargeback for 100% as you got completely screwed.

32 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

That is one hell of a restocking fee then....!!! 700+ bucks?

Stocking fees are generally percent based --- so about 25%, which isn't outlandish. 

I would do a chargeback for 100% as you got completely screwed.

You've only heard half the story, and from the looks of it, maybe even a quarter of the story. A lot is missing here and things don't quite add up. So I definitely wouldn't advise a chargeback until the facts are straightened out as an unvalidated chargeback can cause a whole slew of problems. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Should have kept the PC oh wells should have read the ToC

RETURN POLICY AND 30-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE

ORIGIN PC offers a 30-day money back guarantee on all hardware, accessories, peripherals and unopened software still in its original sealed packaging. All custom paint, logo or artwork services are not refundable. Taxes, shipping and handling fees are not refundable. A fifteen percent (15%) restocking fee will be deducted from your refund. To return merchandise, you must obtain a Return Materials Authorization number. Please contact the Origin PC service team and provide them with the invoice number and serial number(s) of the merchandise you wish to return. You must ship the merchandise within five (5) business days of receiving your RMA number. Moreover, you must also return the merchandise to Origin PC in its/their original packaging, in as-new condition along with any media, documentation, and all other items that were included in the original shipment, prepay shipping charges, and insure the shipment or accept the risk of loss or damage during shipment. The refund will be processed within five (5) business days after shipment has been received and inspected by ORIGIN PC. International customers are solely responsible for all shipping costs, as well as duties and/or taxes that may be incurred from the international transit.

Shipping and Risk:

Loss or damage that occurs during shipping by a carrier used by ORIGIN PC is ORIGIN PC's responsibility. Loss or damage that occurs during shipping by a carrier used by you is your responsibility. You must notify ORIGIN PC of damaged or missing items from your order within five (5) business days after you receive your product. Shipping dates are estimates.

58 minutes ago, rawrdaysgoby said:

Should have kept the PC oh wells should have read the ToC

RETURN POLICY AND 30-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE

ORIGIN PC offers a 30-day money back guarantee on all hardware, accessories, peripherals and unopened software still in its original sealed packaging. All custom paint, logo or artwork services are not refundable. Taxes, shipping and handling fees are not refundable. A fifteen percent (15%) restocking fee will be deducted from your refund. To return merchandise, you must obtain a Return Materials Authorization number. Please contact the Origin PC service team and provide them with the invoice number and serial number(s) of the merchandise you wish to return. You must ship the merchandise within five (5) business days of receiving your RMA number. Moreover, you must also return the merchandise to Origin PC in its/their original packaging, in as-new condition along with any media, documentation, and all other items that were included in the original shipment, prepay shipping charges, and insure the shipment or accept the risk of loss or damage during shipment. The refund will be processed within five (5) business days after shipment has been received and inspected by ORIGIN PC. International customers are solely responsible for all shipping costs, as well as duties and/or taxes that may be incurred from the international transit.

Shipping and Risk:

Loss or damage that occurs during shipping by a carrier used by ORIGIN PC is ORIGIN PC's responsibility. Loss or damage that occurs during shipping by a carrier used by you is your responsibility. You must notify ORIGIN PC of damaged or missing items from your order within five (5) business days after you receive your product. Shipping dates are estimates.

^ Thanks for that Rawrdaysgoby, should teach people to "measure twice cut once" or in this case "read twice press the order button once" haha.

OP you should have just kept the PC or at least properly read the return policy before sending it back... Don't go bashing a company for a poor product because of your lack of tenacity to read said companies policies.  I agree that buying a product and having it defective in any way ( IE scratched ) is shitty but you just didn't think this purchase through correctly.  

Show us the pictures of the damage was it a tiny scratch or something that could have just been touched up slightly ?

Cheers hopefully whatever you choose to do your happy with in the future.

39 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

^ Thanks for that Rawrdaysgoby, should teach people to "measure twice cut once" or in this case "read twice press the order button once" haha.

OP you should have just kept the PC or at least properly read the return policy before sending it back... Don't go bashing a company for a poor product because of your lack of tenacity to read said companies policies.  I agree that buying a product and having it defective in any way ( IE scratched ) is shitty but you just didn't think this purchase through correctly.  

Show us the pictures of the damage was it a tiny scratch or something that could have just been touched up slightly ?

Cheers hopefully whatever you choose to do your happy with in the future.

Well, if the product was damaged then they should have fixed it at no cost (that is NOT to say they should have accepted a return and offered a full refund). My guess is OP raged, sent it back as a return, and didn't properly follow through to try and get the issue fixed and thus was fairly charged the restocking fee and not refunded taxes/shipping....Although, I'm not quite sure why taxes wouldn't be refunded as part of the return policy.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yea it's wacky.... if they are responsible for damage why they didn't even offer to fix it? Maybe OP did just rage out and return instead of asking for a free fix. Either way... ordering from them seems not so great if they want to charge you all those fees that are not refundable. A great company would just accept the return no questions asked like BFG did.... oh wait they aren't in business anymore. :)

I was actually thinking about ordering from them simply based on the warranty stuff BUT the smarter person in me says no way....  not worth it. You can build something better for cheaper. The building isn't the hard part.... but If something goes wrong down the line it would be nice to have a part replaced free of charge if they indeed do that. I just can't see spending 3K..... $1800 maybe... but 3K.... uggg.....

9 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

Yea it's wacky.... if they are responsible for damage why they didn't even offer to fix it? Maybe OP did just rage out and return instead of asking for a free fix. Either way... ordering from them seems not so great if they want to charge you all those fees that are not refundable. A great company would just accept the return no questions asked like BFG did.... oh wait they aren't in business anymore. :)

I was actually thinking about ordering from them simply based on the warranty stuff BUT the smarter person in me says no way....  not worth it. You can build something better for cheaper. The building isn't the hard part.... but If something goes wrong down the line it would be nice to have a part replaced free of charge if they indeed do that. I just can't see spending 3K..... $1800 maybe... but 3K.... uggg.....

A lot of small companies require a restocking fee and I can completely understand not refunding shipping. The only odd thing about their policy is not refunding taxes. 

As for the latter point, even if they replace parts for free they have to first outweigh the higher initial cost and they have to do it within the warranty period (and if they would be willing to replace the part then the manufacturer would also more than likely be willing to replace it for free too had you built it yourself). So it will never be cheaper -- prebuilts are all about convenience. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yea.... why not refund taxes? Makes no sense.... It's literally just part of the final price.

This doesn't pass the sniff test.  

Sounds to me more like OP had buyers remorse and used the shipping issue as an excuse to get a refund. Then he didn't read the fine print and got mad about it.  

That is assuming there is any truth here to begin with. New account. 1 post and hasn't responded in 24 hours.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

I checked out Origin PC (Australia) before I built my Seti box. They were seriously lagging behind the US site in tech though, ie, no TR4 at the time. The sales dude pretty much just blew me off with a canned email and didn't follow up. So I spent 13K on parts and built my own system.

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~