Apple reduces face recognition security accuracy to increase production - Various security branches within O/S?

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

If anything it has a bigger HapticEngine 

Based on...... 

Personally, I'm ordering the X and I couldn't really care less about the security side of things -- I'm sure it's still going to be very difficult for someone else to break into your phone unless they're capable/willing to prints masks/go through a lot of effort. As long as it works consistently for me, then I'm fine with it. (although I do still hope I get an early run......I think)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

If anything it has a bigger HapticEngine 

That's good then :P 

If only i could get an Iphone with Android on it :thinking:

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well the S8 has only one function for that home button motor, that’s all it does. 

They have ave a standard vibration motor to handle everything else. Apple just using one big one that’s more powerful than 2 separate units because they need the haptic feedback to travel through the whole phone. 

Ok? And your point? 2 vs 1 has no value here. S8s dedicated home button motor has better response. If I press my home button I dont need to feel it on the top of the phone. 

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Personally, I'm ordering the X and I couldn't really care less about the security side of things -- I'm sure it's still going to be very difficult for someone else to break into your phone unless they're capable/willing to prints masks/go through a lot of effort. As long as it works consistently for me, then I'm fine with it. (although I do still hope I get an early run......I think)

I'm sad that they removed the Fingerprint reader even if it's not as safe...idk.

Also i'm pretty sure most people don't need extreme security unless you are someone very important.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Ok? And your point? 2 vs 1 has no value here. S8s dedicated home button motor has better response. If I press my home button I dont need to feel it on the top of the phone. 

His point is that the vibration motor on the S8/Note8 doesn't serve a lot of purpose, so it doesn't need to have super-satisfying Taptic Engine-level haptics.

On an iPhone though, the Taptic Engine is such a big deal that haptics play a major role throughout the OS. Heck, even scrolling through options produces a small vibration from the TE.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

You know what they say about opinions...We all have one.

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

You know what they say about opinions...We all have one.

and mine is the best!

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

On an iPhone though, the Taptic Engine is such a big deal that haptics play a major role throughout the OS. Heck, even scrolling through options produces a small vibration from the TE.

Again if i could get Android on that phone i'd buy one immediately. Even if it doesn't have a jack :( 

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

Again if i could get Android on that phone i'd buy one immediately. Even if it doesn't have a jack :( 

You know, I kinda want an iPhone in a similar style to the Galaxy S8.

But I do want a Note8 with an A11-like SoC and a TE. My dream phone quite literally.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I'm sad that they removed the Fingerprint reader even if it's not as safe...idk.

Also i'm pretty sure most people don't need extreme security unless you are someone very important.

The only alternative would have to been put it on the back, and I find those incredibly awkward to use, so to me it would have just been dead weight. Like I said, I also don't care about the security side of things as long as every jackass in the world can't unlock my phone -- I use it out of convenience more than anything else. A password (that isn't stupid) would be significantly more secure than either. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

You know, I kinda want an iPhone in a similar style to the Galaxy S8.

But I do want a Note8 with an A11-like SoC and a TE. My dream phone quite literally.

Hopefully one day...

called this pretty much the day apple announced face id, It was never a viable security standard. Seems like apple is finally realizing that the screwed up with the x

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

1 minute ago, bob345 said:

called this pretty much the day apple announced face id, It was never a viable security standard. Seems like apple is finally realizing that the screwed up with the x

How is it not a viable security standard? The issue here is that it's new tech and they can't produce it fast enough to satisfy the number of predicted iPhone X buyers. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bob345 said:

It's an early adopter thing.

I knew that it can't be fully capable because it's so new. That's why I'm waiting it out.

3 minutes ago, bob345 said:

Since the iPhone X is a new design with new features like Face ID, I think it will have problems similar to a first gen product. This is why I'm going for the 8+ with proven biometric authentication which is Touch ID with 3D touch. I think the iPhone X is going to be a dark horse.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It's an early adopter thing.

I knew that it can't be fully capable because it's so new. That's why I'm waiting it out.

Samsungs IRIS scanner worked flawlessly day one. You cant make an excuse because its too new. 

Just use a passphrase,

it's more secure,

you're welcome.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Samsungs IRIS scanner worked flawlessly day one. You cant make an excuse because its too new. 

Yeah, but Samsung was by no means the first.

They had iris scanners on other phones before. Those worked in a clumsy manner and were slow. 

I had a Note7 before the fiery fiasco and while it is very fast, it was also quite finicky. The one on the Note8 is much less susceptible. 

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Since the iPhone X is a new design with new features like Face ID, I think it will have problems similar to a first gen product. This is why I'm going for the 8+ with proven biometric authentication which is Touch ID with 3D touch. I think the iPhone X is going to be a dark horse.

The thought has crossed my mind, although I expect any issues to crop up in the first two weeks or so -- and in which case I'll just return it (or try to sell it for a profit).

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Just use a passphrase,

it's more secure,

you're welcome.

But convenience.....

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

You're also implying FaceID won't work flawlessly, which we don't know yet. All this news is saying is that they had to relax their standards -- which could have been ridiculously high, and now they're more realistic. That doesn't say anything about how well it works nor does it say that it will be insecure (I haven't read the article, so I apologize if either were mentioned in it).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

I wonder where are you getting that 

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

The thought has crossed my mind, although I expect any issues to crop up in the first two weeks or so -- and in which case I'll just return it (or try to sell it for a profit).

I'm just not a fan of the ugly notch on top. I hope Apple removes the notch in the next iteration of the iPhone and bring back Touch ID. I love the convenience of unlocking my iPhone from my pocket or unlocking it while it's sitting on a table. I don't like fingerprint scanners at the back and with facial recognition, I have to bring the iPhone to my face.

People just use the anti apple trend of this forum to gain popularity.... 

Everyone takes a chill pill....

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I wonder where are you getting that 

Biometrics can be tricked if you try.

People really only use them for convenience. If you want secure, the world's longest passcode is for you.

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I'm just not a fan of the ugly notch on top. I hope Apple removes the notch in the next iteration of the iPhone and bring back Touch ID. I love the convenience of unlocking my iPhone from my pocket or unlocking it while it's sitting on a table. I don't like fingerprint scanners at the back and with facial recognition, I have to bring the iPhone to my face.

The notch really doesn't bother me actually. I just hope that most apps end up using it as a permanent status bar. Yeah, I would have been just as happy with TouchID embedded in the display -- I also feel like FaceID could be cumbersome for Apple Pay, but I don't see Apple backtracking and adding TouchID in the XS.

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Biometrics can be tricked if you try.

People really only use them for convenience. If you want secure, the world's longest passcode is for you.

Agreed. IMO as long as some jackass on the street can't unlock my phone with his finger, thumb, iris, etc... then it's good enough for me. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

59f0a9a02a905_ScreenShot2017-10-25at11_10_57PM.png.25961f1089a55727c396bd5e3e9e74ac.png

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.