Google Pixel 2 scores 98 on DxOMark, new record for overall smartphone camera quality

Bouzoo

Not much to say here, as the title says, the Pixel 2 manages once again to bring the crown to Google, same how original Pixel did it last year. Seems like the gamble of going for only one lens paid off, for better or worse.

The Google Pixel 2 is the top-performing mobile device camera we’ve tested, with a record-setting overall score of 98. Impressively, it manages this despite having “only” a single-camera design for its main camera. Its top scores in most of our traditional photo and video categories put it ahead of our previous (tied) leaders, the Apple iPhone 8 Plus and the Samsung Galaxy Note 8, despite the Pixel 2 coming in lower in the new Zoom and Bokehcategories. The Pixel 2 is also a major step forward from the Pixel (which was our top scorer when it was released a year ago), moving from 90 to 98.

The Google Pixel 2 not only takes the DxOMark Mobile scoring crown with a stunning Overall score of 98, but its video performance improves by 5 points over the original Pixel, putting it at 96 and at the top of our video ranking. The Pixel 2’s photo performance is really impressive at 99, and just one point short of the Samsung Galaxy Note 8, which scored an amazing 100 in our photo category.

We’re in danger of running out of superlatives when describing the major image quality attributes of the Google Pixel 2. That makes sense for a device that tops our scoring charts —up from the 94 of the Apple iPhone 8 Plus and Samsung Galaxy Note 8 to a record-setting 98. So for just about any Photo or Video use case, it recommends itself as the phone camera with the best image quality. A notable exception to that assessment centers around the added performance in Zoom and Bokeh (including Depth and Portrait) that dual-camera smartphones such as the Apple iPhone 8 Plus and Galaxy Note 8 can provide. This said, the Pixel 2 is especially well-suited to videographers, as it achieves the highest Video score for any device we’ve tested — a 96.

Pixel 2 was made by HTC and Pixel 2 XL, which hasn't been tested yet, was made by LG, so it's gonna be interesting how that one will stack as well. Also LG V30 is gonna be released soon, and that one is also aiming for the crown, but I doubt they will take it from Pixel. 

With the confirmed 3 year software support, fiasco of the headphone jack (after Google mocked Apple last year for removing it, just to remove it a year later) and the ridiculous pricing of Pixel 2, might the camera persuade you to get the Pixel 2?

Source

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It does not matter how good a camera is on the phone, if it doesn't have a headphone jack, it is a no go for me. I love my current pixel but it is a shame that I may have to switch to Samsung in a year and a bit when I am due for an upgrade.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

3 minutes ago, A Silver said:

It does not matter how good a camera is on the phone, if it doesn't have a headphone jack, it is a no go for me. I love my current pixel but it is a shame that I may have to switch to Samsung in a year and a bit when I am due for an upgrade.

Agreed. Why did they remove the headphone jack anyway?

if it dosent have a 3.5mm headphone jack im not buying it, and i will keep my stance on the headphone jack untill we have wireless tech thats not absolute trash and i can still afford. cables are cheap and reliable and dont drain your battery like a 5yo drains a juce box(looks at bluetooth)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

24 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Courage. Oh wait. 

When I bought my LE S3 in May (I know it was going to come w/o a headphone jack), but figured I'd be fine w/o it as it came with  a usb-c to 3.5mm jack converter  

Oh boy was I wrong, lol. It's actually the most annoying thing ever! Can't believe Google would do this, but there has to be a valid technical reason right? (As I am not well versed in the phone world)

9 minutes ago, JohnMiller92 said:

When I bought my LE S3 in May (I know it was going to come w/o a headphone jack), but figured I'd be fine w/o it as it came with  a usb-c to 3.5mm jack converter  

Oh boy was I wrong, lol. It's actually the most annoying thing ever! Can't believe Samsung would do this, but there has to be a valid technical reason right? (As I am not well versed in the phone world)

Samsung is still using 3.5mm, and no, there is no valid technical reason. 

4 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Samsung is still using 3.5mm, and no, there is no valid technical reason. 

I'm dumb, meant Google Pixel lol let me edit

How'd this thread about the camera quality come down to complaining about the headphone jack. The official pixel thread is were that should be discussed.

15 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

How'd this thread about the camera quality come down to complaining about the headphone jack. The official pixel thread is were that should be discussed.

Shhh we're busy circlejerking and you're really killing our vibe.

EDIT: Also on the note of the headphone jack ill say what i said in the larger post. I Dont really like the removal but i get it. Since i've owned my pixel i've used the 3.5mm jack like...two times...total. My phone is about convenience and honestly in any situation i'd be using a phone instead of my higher quality audio system at home i'll take a bluetooth device anyday. I was in the same circlejerky group when the iphone dropped it and now looking back i feel like an idiot because honestly i dont use the damn port. Blutooth headphones at work, blutooth in my car. Plugging in a cable to something ment to be mobile doesnt make a tons of sense to me at this point.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Dunno why people are moaning over a headphone jack when there's an adapter for a headphone jack :shrug: 

Meanwhile, its zoom score is 32 while dual camera approaches like the Note 8 achieve a 66 in this regard. Not complaining as I wouldn't care much about how well it zooms, but I will complain about how the heck do they weight their overall scores cause that's some funky weighting.

2 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Meanwhile, its zoom score is 32 while dual camera approaches like the Note 8 achieve a 66 in this regard. Not complaining as I wouldn't care much about how well it zooms, but I will complain about how the heck do they weight their overall scores cause that's some funky weighting.

The main reason why DXO is not a good benchmark for cameras is its still opinion based. Unlike sites like dpreview that uses charts and specific scenes to use precise measurements to rate cameras, DXO just throws out a number they think it should be.

34 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

The main reason why DXO is not a good benchmark for cameras is its still opinion based. Unlike sites like dpreview that uses charts and specific scenes to use precise measurements to rate cameras, DXO just throws out a number they think it should be.

That is a valid point and for one, I would like to see their formula. 

6 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Pixel 2 was made by HTC and Pixel 2 XL, which hasn't been tested yet, was made by LG, so it's gonna be interesting how that one will stack as well.

They have the exact same camera. Same sensor, same lens, same OIS, same everything. It's a little disappointing really. I get wanting to maintain a consistent user experience, but like... the XL must be pretty empty inside...

And to be more clear, the Pixel 2 is *manufactured* by HTC, while the Pixel 2 XL is *manufactured* by LG. Saying it's made by them may be technically correct, but it implies to a lot of people that HTC/LG designed it and then Google just slapped their name on it.

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

Dunno why people are moaning over a headphone jack when there's an adapter for a headphone jack :shrug: 

I dont want to carry or have to worry about an adapter. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

12 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

They have the exact same camera. Same sensor, same lens, same OIS, same everything. It's a little disappointing really. I get wanting to maintain a consistent user experience, but like... the XL must be pretty empty inside...

And to be more clear, the Pixel 2 is *manufactured* by HTC, while the Pixel 2 XL is *manufactured* by LG. Saying it's made by them may be technically correct, but it implies to a lot of people that HTC/LG designed it and then Google just slapped their name on it.

All sources I saw said made, hence my comment. Of course I agree your statement. 

Do they have the same sensor? I mean different companies designed them, and latest HTC and LG have different lenses afaik. 

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

All sources I saw said made, hence my comment. Of course I agree your statement. 

Do they have the same sensor? I mean different companies *designed* them, and latest HTC and LG have different lenses afaik. 

This is my point exactly xP Both phones were *designed* by Google with some assistance by HTC. If the XL was designed by LG do you really believe it would have HTC's patented squeeze feature implemented the same way xP 

The reason to contract manufacturing through LG for the larger one is probably just to simplify things with them using LG's pOLED screens.