wy cant cpu's run hotter

hello

i have a general question, a class mate of mine is telling all kind of wonderfull story's that i do not think are true but one story in perticulair interested me.

he sad that he baked a egg on a amd cpu (a old one so it wouldn't shut off) and got it to 200 c.

and i could not find out wy is was not true.

silocon can be 1000 c so  wy doesn't it run that hot?

can you guys help me out? tnx

kthxby

Pretty sure its because most solders(that hold the chips to the pcb) start to melt at around 180-190C

You'd also need to push some stupidly high voltage through to get the temperature to 1000C, at which point, the voltage would destroy the silicon before the heat does.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

i dont think you can bake eggs

silicon by itself might be able to get to 1000c but microscopic cpu circuits cannot withstand heat and retain their shape , a few molecules move and the cpu becomes shorted out and can not longer function without every transistor working correctly.

Because your processor isn't a brute rock of silicon.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

i dont think you can bake eggs

http://www.food.com/recipe/no-brainer-cheese-and-egg-souffle-232928

As temperatures increase, molecules begin to move move fluidly. I don't think any of the materials used in CPU's have a melting point below 1000C, but there's more to melting points than just the pure elemental melting points would indicate. I'm going to agree with @RKRiley's answer since solder typically melts at 180C. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Generally, all CPU's have a temperature limit, when the CPU exceeds that temperature limit, the system will automatically shutdown. I wouldnt think that you could run a CPU hotter because if it gets too hot it would just catch fire due to the high temperatures. Frying eggs on a CPU would be kinda stupid, and besides, your mate probably put some ridiculously high voltage on the CPU with no heatsink on it with unstable temps which wouldve caused the CPU to catch fire. Frying an egg in a CPU would be impossible, because cracking the egg onto the CPU would leak all over motherboard, completely destroying your whole system. He wouldve probable had to make the CPU catch fire, then put a frying pan under the flame to cook his egg.

There are small electronic parts inside a CPU. They break or get damaged and the CPU will die. 

It's not made out of just silicon. You have to use your brain and actually think. 

There are YouTube videos of people cooking meat like slices of ham on CPUs just to show how hot they get. But in Evey vidoe the CPU overheard and dies after 30+ seconds 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

Another reason cpus and really all components cant run this hot is because as heat increases, resistance drops.

So by this logic, a hypothetical cpu running at 1.35V and drawing lets say 100A just for the sake of an example.

If this cpu has a resistance of 1Mohm this resistance will decrease as the cpu get warmer.

So perhaps for example sake again the cpu is running at 110c that resistance couldve dropped to maybe 500kohm.

At a voltage of 1.35V the current would effectively doubled to 200A which would be enough to kill the cpu.

18 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Well shit. I just learned something

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, emosun said:

I was thinking they where whole uncracked eggs , which when baked just blow up.

Whoa! WHOA! That wasn't part of the agreement, sir/madam/John Wick! 

Seriously, you can hard-boil eggs in the oven quite easily. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

10 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Seriously, you can hard-boil eggs in the oven quite easily.

well no if they are hard boiled then they are boiled not baked

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

well no if they are hard boiled then they are boiled not baked

https://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2012/11/how-to-make-perfect-hard-boiled-eggs-in-the-oven.html

Hard-boiled was probably the wrong term to use. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Give me a blowtorch and I can get a CPU higher than 200C and sizzle some bacon on it.

Will it work afterwards? Hell. No.

Will there be bacon? Always.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

CPUs always have a built in temperature limit. There are two main reasons for this:

1) As you increase heat the resistance goes up (since atoms are jiggling around more which blocks electron flow), which means you need more voltage to push the same amount of current through, which in turn means you're losing more power (since current was constant but resistance went up), so your CPU produces more heat which means it gets hotter even quicker and so on before eventually you get thermal runaway or the voltage isn't enough so your CPU shuts off.

2) This is the more important reason. As heat increases atoms are more likely to basically jiggle out of place causing degradation (you can learn more here)

Because of this cpus have temp limits usually around 100C, which means your friend is lying because their CPU would've shut off or throttled if it was that hot. If for some reason that temp limit wasn't there you would get severe degradation of your CPU which would result in it dying. Your friend is lying.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

55 minutes ago, andre7455 said:

he sad that he baked a egg on a amd cpu (a old one so it wouldn't shut off) and got it to 200 c.

the egg-on-cpu story is nothing new and many people already tried to cook different kinds of food on different cpus 

200222601240801860.jpg

i am not sure about the 200c part tho.

it is true that old AMD cpus had no functional overheat protection and did not shut off or clock down and would rather go up in smoke should the heatsink and fan fall off all of a sudden. 

but AFAIK that is only true for AMD CPUs that are like athlon-XP-old (they got this shit worked out on the athlon 64's)

i think CPUs actually can't go up to 200c - my bet is they will go up in smoke some 20-40 degrees earlier than that (possibly killing the mainboard as well and thus stop heating up further) 

32 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

i think CPUs actually can't go up to 200c - my bet is they will go up in smoke some 20-40 degrees earlier than that (possibly killing the mainboard as well and thus stop heating up further) 

I don't think they would actually literally go up in smoke rather than just dying or shutting off from not enough voltage. :) 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

21 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I don't think they would actually literally go up in smoke rather than just dying or shutting off from not enough voltage. :) 

old athlon XPs do go up in smoke.

tomshardware did a video on this back in the days comparing 4 CPUs.

if i remember correctly it was:

• socket A athlon
  • socket A athlon XP
  • socket 370 pentium 3 
  • socket 423 pentium 4

what they did was pull the CPU heatsink off while the PC was runnig a game. 

pentium 3 crashed but survived - heatsink back on, reboot, all fine

pentium 4 clocked down until even quake 3 turned into a slideshow but this system survived as well.

both athlons let the smoke out and killed the mainboard. 

the thing is that none of the CPUs had a heatspreader. with the Die exposed so you could litteraly see the CPU Dies die.

oh wait, i found the video: