LinusTechTips should cancel contracts with Synergy.

I've been sitting on this for awhile. I have left comments. This is so frustrating. Synergy sucks, their support is horrid and their software is buggy. I have tried contacting them and have a ticket STILL OPEN for months now. No response. Why are they partnered with such a horrible company? I connect both computers via ethernet. Sometimes, the cursor will sometimes just get stuck at the side of the screen and not go through. It has problems connecting. It randomly disconnects, the cursor will move over into random spots. One time, my cursor was at the bottom of one screen, and then it appeared all the way at the top when it moved over? Both computers were on the same monitor model? WTF? My keyboard uses scroll lock to turn on backlights. I cannot disable Synergy detecting that, so I either have keys I cant see or I can use both computers. I can type without backlights, knowing where keys are, but when I am using that other computer its for odd tasks and late at night where I am groggy. 

For these reasons I think Linus should not renew his contract with Synergy. 

Can someone please tell me Colton's tag so I can @ him so he sees this?

Thanks for reading, sorry if its in the wrong space.

Also:

I have the premium version of synergy.

this happens with SSL on and off. 

same version of windows on each machine

Connected to same router via ethernet

Everything is consistent! 

Synergy has worked great for my brother. Maybe it's just your setup doesn't work or my brother's is magical.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I always thought if it was so great then why does Linus use 2 mice and 2 keyboards on the WAN Show, that was enough for me not to bother trying it. Especially since there is NO TRIAL version, I'm hesitant to pay for software that promises what amounts to magic voodoo but doesn't prove it works with a Trial version.

True, just hoping more people will step foward as in my case, I didnt report anything for awhile. If others see this and hopefully will talk

3 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

I always thought if it was so great then why does Linus use 2 mice and 2 keyboards on the WAN Show, that was enough for me not to bother trying it. Especially since there is NO TRIAL version, I'm hesitant to pay for software that promises what amounts to magic voodoo but doesn't prove it works with a Trial version.

Synergy is free technically, only the complied version is paid,  if you download and compile yourself then it's free.

I've used synergy for 4 years, never had an issue, works with my mechanical keyboard with backlight control on the function keys and doesn't cause any issues with me. Maybe it something particular about your setup? Works even on wireless when I set down my laptop on my desk, so I don't know what to tell you :/

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Just now, Arty said:

Synergy is free technically, only the complied version is paid,  if you download and compile yourself then it's free.

You can also find pre-compiled binaries for free here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/synergy-stable-builds/

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Linus also uses 2 mice and keyboards at his desk. (Think it was in the large mouse pad video)

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

4 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

I've used synergy for 4 years, never had an issue, works with my mechanical keyboard with backlight control on the function keys and doesn't cause any issues with me. Maybe it something particular about your setup? Works even on wireless when I set down my laptop on my desk, so I don't know what to tell you :/

Question, I bought Synerygy as well and it works just fine, but have you figured out a way to have it turn on at startup (so I can log into the PC that's a client?) I still have to have another set of mice / keyboard so I can log into the client pc / turn synergy on.

Just now, scottyseng said:

Question, I bought Synerygy as well and it works just fine, but have you figured out a way to have it turn on at startup (so I can log into the PC that's a client?) I still have to have another set of mice / keyboard so I can log into the client pc / turn synergy on.

You could probably set something up in windows task scheduler. I did that to automate windows defender updates a while ago.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

9 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

So here's the thing. Both my server and client start up by themselves at the login screen after a few seconds, but there's a bug that prevents it from being used properly on Windows 10. If you move the mouse to the client on the login window, it just stays there frozen. 

Otherwise, I'm not sure if it works on Windows 7/8.1 on the login screen. It's something that's being looked into apparently. 

PS: after initial setup of both client and server, both should start automatically at bootup.

EDIT: a workaround/trick that might work is log in via RDP on the client.

Just now, ionbasa said:

So here's the thing. Both my server and client start up by themselves at the login screen after a few seconds, but there's a bug that prevents it from being used properly on Windows 10. If you move the mouse to the client on the login window, it just stays there frozen. 

Otherwise, I'm not sure if it works on Windows 7/8.1 on the login screen. It's something that's being looked into apparently. 

PS: after initial setup of both client and server, both should start automatically at bootup.

Yeah, for me I get the frozen mouse. I then have to plug in my keyboard / mouse to just log in. I have Windows Server 2016 on my PC and NAS.

Hmm, really? I have to turn mine on manually. I might look into that.

If you are looking for an alternative, and both your systems are Windows, try:

-> Microsoft Mouse Without Borders: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=35460

-> Input Director: https://www.inputdirector.com/downloads.html

Both are free and solid. Microsoft one is easy to setup and is solid. Input Director is filled with options.

2 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

I always thought if it was so great then why does Linus use 2 mice and 2 keyboards on the WAN Show, that was enough for me not to bother trying it.

Because Luke's the one who uses and likes synergy, not Linus.

And also considering how often stuff messes up on the WAN show and how little time they have to fix it, would you really want them adding another variable?

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

And also considering how often stuff messes up on the WAN show and how little time they have to fix it, would you really want them adding another variable?

Same excuse every fanboy gives everytime I say that. PLEASE don't be that guy.

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

Same excuse every fanboy gives everytime I say that. PLEASE don't be that guy.

At this point, I feel like it's just a long-running joke that they keep having issues with WAN shows :dry:

• 2 weeks later...

Fourteen days later... I would like to add that synergy copy and paste and drag and drop from Linux to Windows and vise versa is and has always been broken for a huge number of people maybe everyone. It is a know issue and support is kinda a joke. I hate seeing the ad on LTT videos saying drag and drop, copy paste is a major feature when it rarely if ever works. I would personally not want to advertise synergy or at least not say drag and drop and copy paste across different OS's is a major feature/selling point. I understand it isn't LTTs fault but it looks bad when people buy it and it doesn't and never did work to my knowledge. I see tickets with that problem open from 2014. That is not good at all. That said, I use it every day. I love it and would have bought it at the current price without those functions. I just don't like to be mislead.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

On 8/1/2017 at 8:12 PM, CakeArmy_Max said:

I've been sitting on this for awhile. I have left comments. This is so frustrating. Synergy sucks, their support is horrid and their software is buggy. I have tried contacting them and have a ticket STILL OPEN for months now. No response. Why are they partnered with such a horrible company? I connect both computers via ethernet. Sometimes, the cursor will sometimes just get stuck at the side of the screen and not go through. It has problems connecting. It randomly disconnects, the cursor will move over into random spots. One time, my cursor was at the bottom of one screen, and then it appeared all the way at the top when it moved over? Both computers were on the same monitor model? WTF? My keyboard uses scroll lock to turn on backlights. I cannot disable Synergy detecting that, so I either have keys I cant see or I can use both computers. I can type without backlights, knowing where keys are, but when I am using that other computer its for odd tasks and late at night where I am groggy. 

For these reasons I think Linus should not renew his contract with Synergy. 

Can someone please tell me Colton's tag so I can @ him so he sees this?

Thanks for reading, sorry if its in the wrong space.

Also:

I have the premium version of synergy.

this happens with SSL on and off. 

same version of windows on each machine

Connected to same router via ethernet

Everything is consistent! 

Yoo i feel you one hundred percent!!!! the software is incredibly buggy/not user friendly and interacts with  other software terribly, the billing was sketchy i got some random pre-authorization charge and was then declined payment and then i contacted them asking why it was decline since i saw the authorization go through in my account (it was hard as fuck to get any help since they dont have a dam customer service phone number!!!!)  I had to literally go through a help forum to talk to someone in the company which was still not helpful. Eventually got it all taken care of turned out to somehow be a browser issue and there billing page....(bro come on im using chrome) also getting the software to run and be stable, (dont even get me started if you restart the computers).

bottom line i went off linus's recommendation had i done any of my own research on mouse sharing solutions this synergy crap would have been my last choice, thus when i started realizing the advertisers in LTT videos are just a paycheck for them and that they often support extra if they are in canada *cough cough* tunnel bear !