Intel ads on Youtube loaded with Linus??? WTF?

CwStrife

Linus and respected employees,

I watch Linus Tech Tips on a normal basis. I would just like to say that I never bothered to sign up on the forum because mostly I just like to watch. For the last 3 days now I have watched endless Intel ads with your face on it. I've seen you talk about how reliable Intel chips are and that you would only use them for streaming and gaming, and nothing else. All the while you can actually watch the horrible lag in the background.

A bit of advice. Selling yourself (and company) for money to promote a product like Intel when you simply have only 2 manufacturers to choose from is absolutely terrible. It shows preferred bias, and honestly I don't think I will continue to watch you anymore after that. It seemed like a low blow to try and make more money for your business. I'm sorry to say it has been fun to watch you for the last couple years, but regretfully I will no longer do so as long as I see you guys promoting products when you should remain NEUTRAL. You guys are reviewers, as well as many other things. You shouldn't be doing that!

Sincerely,

Chris

2 minutes ago, CwStrife said:

Linus and respected employees,

I watch Linus Tech Tips on a normal basis. I would just like to say that I never bothered to sign up on the forum because mostly I just like to watch. For the last 3 days now I have watched endless Intel ads with your face on it. I've seen you talk about how reliable Intel chips are and that you would only use them for streaming and gaming, and nothing else. All the while you can actually watch the horrible lag in the background.

A bit of advice. Selling yourself (and company) for money to promote a product like Intel when you simply have only 2 manufacturers to choose from is absolutely terrible. It shows preferred bias, and honestly I don't think I will continue to watch you anymore after that. It seemed like a low blow to try and make more money for your business. I'm sorry to say it has been fun to watch you for the last couple years, but regretfully I will no longer do so as long as I see you guys promoting products when you should remain NEUTRAL. You guys are reviewers, as well as many other things. You shouldn't be doing that!

Sincerely,

Chris

They're not "reviewers", they're a media company with a vast amount of content that often does reviews of products.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Ads are ads. Other famous people do it all the time to promote drinks and stuff. Linus needs to support a company. I'm not saying that it's necessarily good that Linus is making Intel ads, but as long as he remains honest in his regular videos, I'm OK with it.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Linus has to make money somehow. And he's sponsored by Intel, so of course he brags on them. Though (and it's the same for any other sponsor) if he has a problem with something, he's not afraid to make a video to show his disapproval or annoyance. And I don't think he's fake at all. And of course he uses them for streaming and gaming, as he gets top of the line enthusiast chips for free. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

BEFORE THIS TURNS INTO A WAR.....

This is to simply state my displeasure. If I could email Linus I would personally to simply say it's a little backwards. Thats all it was for people. 

To say hey!!! I watch you, and this is kinda screwy man that every other ad is you and your team promoting Intel.. what's next?

Promoting a single product is one thing, repping an ENTIRE brand is a whole other ball game

1 minute ago, CwStrife said:

BEFORE THIS TURNS INTO A WAR.....

This is to simply state my displeasure. If I could email Linus I would personally to simply say it's a little backwards. Thats all it was for people. 

To say hey!!! I watch you, and this is kinda screwy man that every other ad is you and your team promoting Intel.. what's next?

just use an Adblocker like everyone else then it won't matter.

13 minutes ago, CwStrife said:

He is on Intel's website too :P

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/serious-gaming.html

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

WATCH THE LAG @ 21 second mark

Video is at the bottom, can't seem to embed player

I posted it to show I spent a hella lotta money going by Linus and Jay. To show i'm not some 10 year old kid complaining. Very simply he should think about what he's doing.

You think Intel will let Linus continue to bash the hell out of their i9 and such? Bet you the review comes back and he changes his mind!

I honestly don't see Linus bashing Intel. He's stating facts based on how they developed their i9's, and how it's caused motherboard manufacturers a great amount of confusion. He's essentially explaining to everyone how Intel's i9 CPU definitely was rushed and it should have been reconsidered, even if AMD launched Threadripper. It's just like how NVidia waited for AMD to release their videocards before the 1060-1080 were released. As long as Intel and AMD keep releasing CPU's, it gives Linus and his team more to review, and more to compare. In his video where he was walking through the streets of Taiwan, he just expressed his displeasure of the way Intel was going about things. If AMD never mentioned Threadripper, we may have waited even longer for Intel to actually release something. In my honest opinion, it just seems as though Intel jumped the gun because they were caught off guard.

Back to the main point: Many other Youtubers felt the same way Linus did about the i9, and they said what they felt, which Intel clearly took as constructive criticism. They're not the kind of company to throw a fit and suddenly start removing sponsors because they disagree with what they've been told. They're smart enough to watch through the videos and learn from their mistakes based on feedback that viewers and the tech channel reviewer have posed to them. So quite honestly, I don't consider it bashing, I consider it free advice if Intel is smart enough to listen.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 minute ago, Hiitchy said:

I honestly don't see Linus bashing Intel. He's stating facts based on how they developed their i9's, and how it's caused motherboard manufacturers a great amount of confusion. He's essentially explaining to everyone how Intel's i9 CPU definitely was rushed and it should have been reconsidered, even if AMD launched Threadripper. It's just like how NVidia waited for AMD to release their videocards before the 1060-1080 were released. As long as Intel and AMD keep releasing CPU's, it gives Linus and his team more to review, and more to compare. In his video where he was walking through the streets of Taiwan, he just expressed his displeasure of the way Intel was going about things. If AMD never mentioned Threadripper, we may have waited even longer for Intel to actually release something. In my honest opinion, it just seems as though Intel jumped the gun because they were caught off guard.

Back to the main point: Many other Youtubers felt the same way Linus did about the i9, and they said what they felt, which Intel clearly took as constructive criticism. They're not the kind of company to throw a fit and suddenly start removing sponsors because they disagree with what they've been told. They're smart enough to watch through the videos and learn from their mistakes based on feedback that viewers and the tech channel reviewer have posed to them. So quite honestly, I don't consider it bashing, I consider it free advice if Intel is smart enough to listen.

When you have only two companies to choose from I see it as bias. At first sure maybe everything is all peachy, but you don't think INTEL will want something back from it? Don't be so blind to believe a giant tech company like Intel doesn't know that so many people will go by what Linus says, and buy it! He is being paid to promote a product and to get you thinking inside maybe I just want Intel... they say it's the best in the ad!? Guys don't be so blind. Put the headlights on here.

Just like if Linus decided he would support AMD graphics with ads. Well wtf... what about NVidia then?

THE BEST REVIEWS and the NEUTRAL REVIEWS. Where you know there is nothing hidden behind anything.

THE BEST REVIEWS and the NEUTRAL REVIEWS. Where you know there is nothing hidden behind anything.

No matter what else is said so far or in the future, this statement I 1000% agree with.

1 minute ago, lishde said:

No matter what else is said so far or in the future, this statement I 1000% agree with.

As a 30 year old I see this from a logical standpoint and a consumer standpoint. If you are going to advertise for another company and their entire product line saying you will only use them for gaming and streaming etc. Well Linus proved that the encoder on the Ryzen chips are better? Why LIE LINUS!? You can't say one thing, then get paid to say another and truly think nobody will catch on. 

4 minutes ago, CwStrife said:

If you're a passionate hardware guy like Linus, it's hard to be neutral. If you've been dealing with tech for this long, you will develop preferences, and then it's impossible to be neutral. Like I'm an Apple fan, and will rep Apple till the day I die (or they start making crap, and I can't out of good conscience, keep recommending them). 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

9 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I watched both videos (Linus, and Luke) and they seemed pretty unbiased to me. They didn't say what processors they use or anything. Linus does talk about a Intel and even mentions a video that talks about how intel is confusing which I would say is a bad thing. 

26 minutes ago, CwStrife said:

A bit of advice. Selling yourself (and company) for money to promote a product like Intel when you simply have only 2 manufacturers to choose from is absolutely terrible. It shows preferred bias,

Anytime they have a sponsored video, it has the text show up in the corner. Even in sponsored content which are ads, they still make the video pretty neutral in my opinion. I'm 99% sure they've done AMD sponsored videos, it's just that intel buys more reviews than most other companies in my observation. 

and honestly I don't think I will continue to watch you anymore after that. It seemed like a low blow to try and make more money for your business.

*Snickers because low blow sounds like something Linus would say.*

As a 30 year old I see this from a logical standpoint and a consumer standpoint. If you are going to advertise for another company and their entire product line saying you will only use them for gaming and streaming etc. Well Linus proved that the encoder on the Ryzen chips are better? Why LIE LINUS!? You can't say one thing, then get paid to say another and truly think nobody will catch on. 

How old are these ads? What if they were shot before Ryzen and everything?

Main PC 

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

How old are these ads? What if they were shot before Ryzen and everything?

I'll go with that except the first time I saw it was 3 days ago and it would have popped up sooner then. I'm seeing alot of Intel ads coming up lately. I think AMD might have lit the fire again... Either way doesn't excuse Linus for basically supporting only 1 of 2 brands. Ads or not, neutral or not.

GUYS - You can't expect a company like Intel to just give you money to say ok yea i'll keep neutral and not say your stuff is better. Do you really freaking think Intel would pay Linus to say negative things? I don't think so!!!! Watch, he's probably got something where he has to talk good about all of Intel products now, or at least better than he used to. Come on guys!?!?! WHO DOESN'T WANT MORE MONEY! SELL OUT!? WHY NOT!

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

If you're a passionate hardware guy like Linus, it's hard to be neutral. If you've been dealing with tech for this long, you will develop preferences, and then it's impossible to be neutral. Like I'm an Apple fan, and will rep Apple till the day I die (or they start making crap, and I can't out of good conscience, keep recommending them). 

Not trying to derail but some may argue Apple makes crap now. (missing SD card slots, low specs for price, buggy software like the touchpad showing up on the main display) however I see your point. Linus does a fantastic job of trying to keep things unbiased as he does try and show as many benchmark results as possible and imo it's an efficient consistent way to stay unbiased. 

I have a bias thinking iPhones are better than androids because I use mine all the time, and the battery life is great on my 5C. I haven't used a Samsung much recently but my friend thinks Samsung phones are the best there are because he has that with wireless charging and the watch thingy he adores. I could go into more detail saying how what you use and over time you develop a subconscious or consistent bias, but I'm sure everyone can think of something they have bias towards. (ie sharks because of JAWS.) 

Just now, CwStrife said:

GUYS - You can't expect a company like Intel to just give you money to say ok yea i'll keep neutral and not say your stuff is better. Do you really freaking think Intel would pay Linus to say negative things? I don't think so!!!! Watch, he's probably got something where he has to talk good about all of Intel products now, or at least better than he used to. Come on guys!?!?! WHO DOESN'T WANT MORE MONEY! SELL OUT!? WHY NOT!

I doubt Linus is a sell out. Yes, Intel is paying him and anyone else they sponsor to give them good reviews, but they can also put their big boy pants on and take some flack when they mess up. If AMD was sponsoring Linus, he'd be repping them and going on about how good they are. Bottom line is, Intel makes good CPUs. He's not lying or anything by telling you how good they are. Yes, they could be better, but they still keep ahead of the competition in everything except price. AMD also makes great CPUs, so if Linus was sponsored by them, he would not be lying if he went on and on about how good they are in some ad. Besides, if it comes up as an ad, you know they're only going to say good things about Intel, as it is an ad. Just watch his videos. 

Main PC 

5 minutes ago, CwStrife said:

I'll go with that except the first time I saw it was 3 days ago and it would have popped up sooner then. I'm seeing alot of Intel ads coming up lately. I think AMD might have lit the fire again... In Linus' video about i9 he did say intel seemed to have been caught with their pants down, so  this may be a response to AMD's ryzen and rumored threadripper. Either way doesn't excuse Linus for basically supporting only 1 of 2 brands. Ads or not, neutral or not.

GUYS - You can't expect a company like Intel to just give you money to say ok yea i'll keep neutral and not say your stuff is better. I'm fairly certain I've seen paid reviews have talks about the negatives and what Linus doesn't like. (ie surface laptops come to mind) Do you really freaking think Intel would pay Linus to say negative things? I don't think so!!!! Watch, he's probably got something where he has to talk good about all of Intel products now, or at least better than he used to. Come on guys!?!?! WHO DOESN'T WANT MORE MONEY! SELL OUT!? WHY NOT!

Most of Linus' PAID reviews have negatives talked about. In purely sponsored content where it is NOT a review, but simply a showoff of a new product he doesn't talk much about the negatives, and he seems to go off a more robotic script than what is usually said as if Intel wrote the entire script and the video doesn't even show off half the product. 

EDIT:

I'm done discussing Linus and paid ads. I'm out. If you don't agree with me, then.. bye

9 hours ago, CwStrife said:

I'll go with that except the first time I saw it was 3 days ago and it would have popped up sooner then. I'm seeing alot of Intel ads coming up lately. I think AMD might have lit the fire again... Either way doesn't excuse Linus for basically supporting only 1 of 2 brands. Ads or not, neutral or not.

Intel paid them to make an ad.

They made an Ad.

They got paid.

End of story. Reviewers and content creators are called on for ads more all the time because that's who has our attention.

There's no contract on that one off ad saying he's never allowed to make any negative videos about them, that'd be dumb and Linus would never do that.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D