Intel ads on Youtube loaded with Linus??? WTF?

CwStrife
4 minutes ago, fpo said:

Not trying to derail but some may argue Apple makes crap now. (missing SD card slots, low specs for price, buggy software like the touchpad showing up on the main display) however I see your point. Linus does a fantastic job of trying to keep things unbiased as he does try and show as many benchmark results as possible and imo it's an efficient consistent way to stay unbiased. 

I have a bias thinking iPhones are better than androids because I use mine all the time, and the battery life is great on my 5C. I haven't used a Samsung much recently but my friend thinks Samsung phones are the best there are because he has that with wireless charging and the watch thingy he adores. I could go into more detail saying how what you use and over time you develop a subconscious or consistent bias, but I'm sure everyone can think of something they have bias towards. (ie sharks because of JAWS.) 

Yes, we as consumers can have opinions. I personally don't like Apple products.... but thats my preference. I don't try to stop anyone from buying it unless it's going to blow up on them obviously. 

As a reviewer and community figure you really can't do what he's doing and remain neutral. Once someone is paying you to rep their stuff you have to do what they say... or you're in breach of contract. This is a big business with lawyers who could push Linus to do whatever they want. Once you're locked in, you're in and you do what they say. I've been there guys.

1 minute ago, fpo said:

Most of Linus' PAID reviews have negatives talked about. In purely sponsored content where it is NOT a review, but simply a showoff of a new product he doesn't talk much about the negatives, and he seems to go off a more robotic script than what is usually said as if Intel wrote the entire script and the video doesn't even show off half the product. 

Yeah. In an ad, he's only there to recommend the product. If you don't like him doing Intel ads, complain to AMD. They obviously aren't paying him to rep their products. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Yeah. In an ad, he's only there to recommend the product. If you don't like him doing Intel ads, complain to AMD. They obviously aren't paying him to rep their products. 

When was the last time you saw an AMD ad? I'll wait 

Edit: I believe I did see a couple promotions for Ryzen, but they never paid a single person to rep it. They sent out mobos and cpus for reviewers to try. No need to go further. Thats how you make an informed decision. Being 110% neutral. 

Just now, CwStrife said:

When was the last time you saw an AMD ad? I'll wait 

I don't think I've ever seen one. So if only Intel makes ads, and Linus is in a CPU ad, how can he not be in an Intel ad? You accuse him of being biased in ads, but the other side doesn't make any. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

11 minutes ago, CwStrife said:

I'll go with that except the first time I saw it was 3 days ago and it would have popped up sooner then. I'm seeing alot of Intel ads coming up lately. I think AMD might have lit the fire again... Either way doesn't excuse Linus for basically supporting only 1 of 2 brands. Ads or not, neutral or not.

GUYS - You can't expect a company like Intel to just give you money to say ok yea i'll keep neutral and not say your stuff is better. Do you really freaking think Intel would pay Linus to say negative things? I don't think so!!!! Watch, he's probably got something where he has to talk good about all of Intel products now, or at least better than he used to. Come on guys!?!?! WHO DOESN'T WANT MORE MONEY! SELL OUT!? WHY NOT!

To be fair, he never implied he was to be neutral, which I think he is pretty neutral anyway. On top of that in his videos he hits on the good and bad of both sides. Just like his video about the problems I9 has and in the videos where he commends the good about Ryzen. Also take into consideration that LMG has a focus on very high end hardware and for the last several years up until recently AMD wasn't even close to contending. They just simply didn't compete in the high end market for a long time and in that kind of situation it only makes sense that he would lean towards them occasionally. Linus mentions the lack of competition between the two several times and he frequently mentions that he is excited to see that the competition between the two companies has started again again

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Just now, Zando Bob said:

I don't think I've ever seen one. So if only Intel makes ads, and Linus is in a CPU ad, how can he not be in an Intel ad? You accuse him of being biased in ads, but the other side doesn't make any. 

Linus makes money off of his youtube videos and whatever else. For what reason does he need to have Intel paying him? 

He gets tons of free stuff, basically has every computer part you could want so it's not like he needs the money to buy these to review them. It's all sent free!

He just wants more $$$$$

1 minute ago, CwStrife said:

Linus makes money off of his youtube videos and whatever else. For what reason does he need to have Intel paying him? 

He gets tons of free stuff, basically has every computer part you could want so it's not like he needs the money to buy these to review them. It's all sent free!

He just wants more $$$$$

He is a media company. A company. Companies make money that is what they do. Of course he will do what he can to promote the growth of his business.

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

Just now, WhisperingKnickers said:

To be fair, he never implied to be neutral, which I think he is pretty neutral anyway. On top of that in his videos he hits on the good and bad of both sides. Just like his video about the problems I9 has and in the videos where he commends the good about Ryzen. Also take into consideration that LMG has a focus on very high end hardware and for the last several years up until recently AMD wasn't even close to contending. They just simply didn't compete in the high end market for a long time and in that kind of situation it only makes sense that he would lean towards them occasionally. Linus mentions the lack of competition between the two several times and he frequently mentions that he is excited to see that the competition between the two companies has started again again

Yes ok all this is understood. Hell AMD didn't make anything good for the last 10 years now. The FX line was a complete piece of crap and they laid in the dirt and didn't care. Ok thats then. 

What i'm saying is ...

Once someone is paid by a big conglomerate to advertise for them, you are at their will. I've been there and done it. To an extent you have to say good about them, you can't bash it, and as time goes on it only gets worse. I don't think these were one time ads with Intel because i've seen I think 3 different ones now. I think there were 2 with Linus and 1 with Luke although it could have been 1 and 1. I try to just mute the crap.

Just now, CwStrife said:

He just wants more $$$$$

Not really. I think he has plenty of cash, and is perfectly happy with what he has. He obviously hasn't been buying up Lambos and such, and you can see he's content with what he's got. He is not greedy, he is a savvy businessman. Greed means you will get more for yourself at the expense of others. Being a savvy businessman means you will take very chance to grow your business that isn't immoral or illegal. Many people seem to confuse good business sense with greed. 

Main PC 

He is a media company. A company. Companies make money that is what they do. Of course he will do what he can to promote the growth of his business.

Do it in a way that is right. Do it in a way that remains neutral. He makes money on a million other things, there is 0 need for his entire company to rep intel like a bunch of fanboys. 

Seriously watch the Linus ad. He basically says Intel is all I would let my employees use.

Just now, CwStrife said:

Yes ok all this is understood. Hell AMD didn't make anything good for the last 10 years now. The FX line was a complete piece of crap and they laid in the dirt and didn't care. Ok thats then. 

What i'm saying is ...

Once someone is paid by a big conglomerate to advertise for them, you are at their will. I've been there and done it. To an extent you have to say good about them, you can't bash it, and as time goes on it only gets worse. I don't think these were one time ads with Intel because i've seen I think 3 different ones now. I think there were 2 with Linus and 1 with Luke although it could have been 1 and 1. I try to just mute the crap.

Have you seen the video where he calls them out on what he doesn't like about the new line up? As long as he continues to say what he thinks then I don't see a problem

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

Not really. I think he has plenty of cash, and is perfectly happy with what he has. He obviously hasn't been buying up Lambos and such, and you can see he's content with what he's got. He is not greedy, he is a savvy businessman. Greed means you will get more for yourself at the expense of others. Being a savvy businessman means you will take very chance to grow your business that isn't immoral or illegal. Many people seem to confuse good business sense with greed. 

Greed... Doing videos for intel to make more money when you know you shouldn't. 2 companies out there and yet you sit there saying INTEL INTEL YA YA!?

Have you seen the video where he calls them out on what he doesn't like about the new line up? As long as he continues to say what he thinks then I don't see a problem

Bet you my damned house he says something totally different when i9 comes out. Mark my word

Just now, CwStrife said:

Bet you my damned house he says something totally different when i9 comes out. Mark my word

I bet he will talk about the good and the bad about it. Just like he does with every product he has ever made a video on

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

And I further bet Linus won't come here to defend himself or Luke... 

Just now, CwStrife said:

Greed... Doing videos for intel to make more money when you know you shouldn't. 2 companies out there and yet you sit there saying INTEL INTEL YA YA!?

Why shouldn't he make more money for his company? And it's not his fault he doesn't do ads for AMD. They aren't offering him an ad spot, and he's like "No way! You guys make crap!" They aren't offering him and ad spot in the first place, since they don't do ads. How can he be in an ad that doesn't exist?

Main PC 

1 minute ago, CwStrife said:

i9 CPUs will probably be very good if they don't rush them. it's Kaby Lake X he had a big problem with. That and the confusing X299 chipset. 

Main PC 

4 minutes ago, CwStrife said:

Seriously watch the Linus ad. He basically says Intel is all I would let my employees use.

Because he gets 6+ Core intel CPUs for free, and if you discount the price, they perform better than a similar core count AMD CPU. 

Main PC 

7 minutes ago, CwStrife said:

He just wants more $$$$$

You can't live off computer parts... 

They don't normally taste very good.

The utility companies don't normally accept them as currency either.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

Why shouldn't he make more money for his company? And it's not his fault he doesn't do ads for AMD. They aren't offering him an ad spot, and he's like "No way! You guys make crap!" They aren't offering him and ad spot in the first place, since they don't do ads. How can he be in an ad that doesn't exist?

Why is he doing ads to begin with? He's promoting an entire BRAND, not just 1 product. That's really the problem. If he said yes the I7-7700k is the best bang for the buck, and promoted that on an Intel ad and had backing proof ok you got it bro! I'm all for it! But what Intel is doing is sneaky and dirty, and truthfully the fact Linus plays into it... not cool

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Because he gets 6+ Core intel CPUs for free, and if you discount the price, they perform better than a similar core count AMD CPU. 

So now we are supposed to go off the LINUS SPECIAL DISCOUNT? Dude really? Is Linus going to give you his discount too???

3 minutes ago, CwStrife said:

Why is he doing ads to begin with? He's promoting an entire BRAND, not just 1 product. That's really the problem. If he said yes the I7-7700k is the best bang for the buck, and promoted that on an Intel ad and had backing proof ok you got it bro! I'm all for it! But what Intel is doing is sneaky and dirty, and truthfully the fact Linus plays into it... not cool

Explain to me how it is sneaky and dirty. It is an Intel advertisement, you should expect it to be overly positive to Intel. 

Main PC 

Just now, CwStrife said:

So now we are supposed to go off the LINUS SPECIAL DISCOUNT? Dude really?

He said his employees use Intel. That's the reason his employees use Intel.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

1 minute ago, Elerek said:

You can't live off computer parts... 

They don't normally taste very good.

The utility companies don't normally accept them as currency either.

He seemed to be doing VERY WELL before the Intel videos. Remember the massive SSD build, or his huge server.. I can kind of go on. I don't think money is an issue, I think it has become that he now wants more. Dude it happens all the time, he's selling out

2 minutes ago, CwStrife said:

So now we are supposed to go off the LINUS SPECIAL DISCOUNT? Dude really? Is Linus going to give you his discount too???

No, but:

1 minute ago, Elerek said:

He said his employees use Intel. That's the reason his employees use Intel.

Main PC