So I lost the Silicon Lottery, considering a delid .. need some advice.

Hey folks so I have had this i7700K for 3 weeks now. It has been running at stock for most of the time at around 67-69c (did a few experiments with overclocking) .. then managed to OC it to 4.8Ghz .... and boy does it get hot (high 80's-90's). At first I thought, maybe my AIO is bad at cooling the temps. So I took the CPU to a friend who has a water-cooled test bench. After a bit of testing he told me "You lost the lottery mate, de-lid that sucker".

So I have ordered liquid metal by Coollaboratory and the de-lidding tool. (£25 total, so not bad at all!)

After watching a lot of videos on the re-glue process and what glue to use here is my question:

If you have de-lided a CPU yourself;

1. Have you re-glued the IHS? Or did you just use the fact that the CPU bracket will hold it in place, combined with the pressure from a cooling block.
  2. If you have glued it, what glue have you used and how long before you could pop the CPU back into the mobo for use

If you have done this, please let me know, not looking for "hear-say" advice because you watched a YouTube video :)

Thanks in advance!

I didn't delid my CPU, because I wasn't comfortable with it, so I went ahead and bought CPU that is soldered to IHS. No problems now.

I would suggest you to use delidding tool. You can get it for around 30$.

Best results will be by using CLU bewteeen CPU core and IHS.

I would use something like super glue and apply small drop of it on each of those 4 corners. Just to hold it in place somehow. If you will ever need to delid it again, it will be veary easy to remove IHS. But it should hold it on, so you don't have to worry about it sliding left or right when closing CPU bracket.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

I didn't delid my CPU, because I wasn't comfortable with it, so I went ahead and bought CPU that is soldered to IHS. No problems now.

I would suggest you to use delidding tool. You can get it for around 30$.

Best results will be by using CLU bewteeen CPU core and IHS.

I would use something like super glue and apply small drop of it on each of those 4 corners. Just to hold it in place somehow. If you will ever need to delid it again, it will be veary easy to remove IHS. But it should hold it on, so you don't have to worry about it sliding left or right when closing CPU bracket.

I have purchased a delid tool, read above :) ...

Super glue is a NO NO .. it binds to the PCB making another de-lid dangerous and might ruin the PCB (even a small amount), have seen videos on that. I know that much.

Just now, mrzoltowski said:

Super glue is a NO NO .. it binds to the PCB making another de-lid dangerous and might ruin the PCB (even a small amount), have seen videos on that. I know that much.

Yeah I confess, I didn't read everything.

I'm glad you decided to go with tool instead of razer method.

Well in that case, get some other type of glue, kinda like adhesive, but only use little of it ... otherwise you will make same mistake as Intel xD

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Not worth it in my opinion, you will see no true performance increase with 0,1 ~ 0,2 ghz, aside overclocking for a hobby if you just want a good operating chip there really is no point in taking your chances with delid.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Also calling @done12many2 here since he delided quiet a few CPUs already.

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, mrzoltowski said:

Super glue is terrible advice xD Btw thermal grizzly products > Coollaboratory, but if you have bought it don't worry.

You should apply the liquid metal to the die and use thermal adhesive at the edge, then more liquid metal between the IHS and the cooler.

Looks like you've done your homework on this, you'll probably have no issues with it. 

Ps. Can I have your delid tool if you're done with it :P I also lost the Silicon lottery 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Not worth it in my opinion, you will see no true performance increase with 0,1 ~ 0,2 ghz, aside overclocking for a hobby if you just want a good operating chip there really is no point in taking your chances with delid.

I think the purpose of his delid is sort out the terrible stock thermal solution offered by Intel. Constant 80+ degrees is not OK. Many have gained 20+ degrees by delidding and applying liquid metal.

11 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I think the purpose of his delid is sort out the terrible stock thermal solution offered by Intel. Constant 80+ degrees is not OK. Many have gained 20+ degrees by delidding and applying liquid metal.

Of course it is, as long as it doesn't throttle nowadays running a bit hotter really changes nothing towards the life span of the chip, but my main point is that the gains in performance from a tiny higher overclock are negligible.

I still lulz about my brothers friend who spent a shit ton of money on an i5 7600k delid, Corsair h100i, ROG Strix Z270E and 16gb of ram at 3600mhz like I'll be overclocking master and outperform every one! Over spent so much this stuff that budget left only allowed a GTX 1070.

well he managed his high overclock and he cursed the shit out of me when my locked i7 7700 on the cheapest Asus h110 I could find with normal 2133mhz value select ram outperformed it on every single game we tested, sure my Titan XM is faster than his 1070 what also assisted to this happen but my point is, losing your sleep over overclocking unless that is your hobby is quite pointless, this used to be a free way to get more performance, nowadays it is a "all the cool kids must do" deal that costs way more than the performance you gain, at least for Intel as Ryzen CPUs actually makes a lot more sense overclocking still.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I still lulz about my brothers friend who spent a shit ton of money on an i5 7600k delid, Corsair h100i, ROG Strix Z270E and 16gb of ram at 3600mhz like I'll be overclocking master and outperform every one! Over spent so much this stuff that budget left only allowed a GTX 1070.

xD lelz, I built my pc as a top N00B and I somehow managedto stumble onto an i7...  Twice!

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Yeah it can hit 70c on STOCK and low voltage (1.28v) with an AIO, friend confirmed my AIO is fine and should be seeing a temp of 61c stable at least. It would seem that things get bad real quick with higher temps even on a slight overclock.

And yes it might be OK, but I didn't pay extra for an unlocked CPU and not be able to reap the benefits and my reasoning is not game related

Plus @Princess Cadence

a 0.3 Ghz overclock can shave of 15 mins off a render time on a complex 3d scene (that takes around 60 minutes) With just 10 frames, you are saving 150 minutes!

Of course it is, as long as it doesn't throttle nowadays running a bit hotter really changes nothing towards the life span of the chip, but my main point is that the gains in performance from a tiny higher overclock are negligible.

well he managed his high overclock and he cursed the shit out of me when my locked i7 7700 on the cheapest Asus h110 I could find with normal 2133mhz value select ram outperformed it on every single game we tested, sure my Titan XM is faster than his 1070 what also assisted to this happen but my point is, losing your sleep over overclocking unless that is your hobby quite pointless, this used to be a free way to get more performance, nowadays it is a "all the cool kids must do" deal that costs way more than the performance you gain, at least for Intel as Ryzen CPUs actually makes a lot more sense overclocking still.

I never said it was worthwhile for the performance gain ;) But I do understand why you wouldn't want it to be hot 24/7. OP asked HOW, not IF. Therefore I was just answering the thread. :)

2 minutes ago, mrzoltowski said:

Yeah it can hit 70c on STOCK and low voltage (1.28v) with an AIO, friend confirmed my AIO is fine and should be seeing a temp of 61c stable at least. It would seem that things get bad real quick with higher temps even on a slight overclock.

And yes it might be OK, but I didn't pay extra for an unlocked CPU and not be able to reap the benefits and my reasoning is not game related

Plus @Princess Cadence

a 0.3 Ghz overclock can shave of 15 mins off a render time on a complex 3d scene (that takes around 60 minutes) With just 10 frames, you are saving 150 minutes!

if you aren't gaming then your mistake was buying a 7700k and not an R7 1700 with its soldered IHS, nice temps, double cores/threads and easy to get a decent (33%) overclock.

EDIT: Rule of thumb

Gaming and nothing else? 7700k

Gaming and any kind of productivity task, multitasking or streaming? R7 1700

a 0.3 Ghz overclock can shave of 15 mins off a render time on a complex 3d scene

If you wanted to render complex 3d scenes you should have bought a Ryzen 7 1700 instead, what do you think I do with my r7 1800x? it is a beast that p3wns the i7 on all these multi-threaded applications, besides It is not me, it is Intel themselves telling people the i7 7700k is NOT meant for Overclocking:

http://www.pcgamer.com/intels-tells-core-i7-7700k-owners-to-stop-overclocking-to-avoid-high-temps/

Personal Desktop":

Just now, tom_w141 said:

if you aren't gaming then your mistake was buying a 7700k and not an R7 1700...

I didn't say I wasn't gaming, I wanted a CPU that can do both fairly well. Ryzen is too new for me, once it's issues are solved I might revisit it. But for now the i7 was the best trade-off in my mind.

@done12many2 should be able to help you, he has quite a lot of experience with 7700Ks :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, mrzoltowski said:

I didn't say I wasn't gaming, I wanted a CPU that can do both fairly well. Ryzen is too new for me, once it's issues are solved I might revisit it. But for now the i7 was the best trade-off in my mind.

See above edits.

Yes Ryzen had issues in March it was a new architecture launch. It's now May and those issues (which were largely RAM related btw) are fixed.

You guys are missing the point, and comments are not helpful, I asked for advice on glue from people who have de-lided and all I am getting is, should have gone with a Ryzen .. blah blah blah ...  must these threads always devolve as such?

2 minutes ago, mrzoltowski said:

You guys are missing the point, an comments are not helpful, I asked for advice on glue from people who have de-lided and all I am getting is, should have gone with a Ryzn .. blah blah blah ...  must these threads always devolve as such?

in my 1st post I told you 99% of what to do apart from the specific thermal adhesive you should buy. I later went on to say an easier solution now that you have explained what you use the computer for would be to return it and get a 1700. How is that useless/off topic?

You were quite wrong, Ryzen even games better than Intel to be frank, the minimums are much better, 1% and 0.1% lows considered as well, it also runs much more butter smooth while allowing twice as much multi-tasking than the i7 7700k manages, oh you have no idea the size of my regret for building my PC on february and going with the i7 7700, I wish every day I had a R5 1600x for personal computer from how much more love I have for the 1800x :P

Personal Desktop":

You guys are missing the point, and comments are not helpful, I asked for advice on glue from people who have de-lided and all I am getting is, should have gone with a Ryzn .. blah blah blah ...  must these threads always devolve as such?

I couldn't agree more!

trainn.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

This is a PC tech enthusiasts forum with experts and people with experience and those who seek them.

I don't need to justify my purchases because you "feel" that way :)

You were quite wrong, Ryzen even games better than Intel to be frank, the minimums are much better, 1% and 0.1% lows considered as well, it also runs much more butter smooth while allowing twice as much multi-tasking than the i7 7700k manages, oh you have no idea the size of my regret for building my PC on february and going with the i7 7700, I wish every day I had a R5 1600x for personal computer from how much more love I have for the 1800x :P

If you compare it to a 7600K, yes. If you compare it to the 7700K, no :D

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Shhh I tried to explain that and got told to shut up. Keep your advice to yourself!

/S