[Build] Black Ice - Acrylic Tubing upgrade (Watercooled R4)

Hello All

This is actually my first post, long time lurker (mainly of build logs) so thought its probably about time I contributed something to the forum. shout out to Snef and Hanoverfist, took a lot of inspiration from your builds.

So here is my rig, completed a watercooling upgrade some 6 months ago with flexi tubing but as soon as I saw the Primochill Acrylic tubing I knew I had to use this in my build at some point. So finally got around to getting all the bits to complete an Acyclic tubing upgrade while also doing a bit of paint work as well.

Don't normally give my rigs names but thought "Black Ice" worked given the colour scheme.  

Please note to others thinking of doing the same - fitting a 240 rad in the top of an R4 is extremely tight, only way i was able to do it was because the P67 Sabetooth has short heatsinks and low enough ram slots. So will completely depend on your motherboard. there's probably about 1mm between the fan and heatsink. 

The build is pretty much complete now which you'll see in the pictures, the only two remaining things to do now is put in a floor and panel to cover up the 5.25" bays/ mount SSD to.

The question is do I go with Black Acrylic or Black brushed aluminium vinyl? opinions needed! 

second thing is to get an NZXT Grid fan PCB to clean up my fan cabling round the back. 

Component list:

Intel 2500K

Asus P67 Sabertooth (heatsinks painted white)

16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile White

Zotac GTX 670

Corsair Force GT 120GB (painted white)

Corsair AX850 (with White cable kit)

Fractal Design Define R4 Black

NZXT LED Lighting strip

Watercooling gear:

Alphacool Monsta 80mm 240 Rad

Alphacool ST30 30mm 240 Rad

XSPC Raystorm CPU Block (painted white)

XSPC Raystorm GTX 670 GPU Block and backplate

EK D5 X-Res Combo 

Alphacool D5 Pump

Corsair Quiet SP120 Fans x 6 (1 x AF140)

Bitspower Deluxe White Fittings

Primochill Ghost white Rigid tubing fittings

Primochill Rigid Acrylic Tubing Clear

Mayhems Pastel Ice White Coolant

DSC02081_zpsc595e4ad.jpg

What it looked like before

DSC02083_zps06e15bfe.jpg

Some of tubing runs complete

DSC02086_zps5e20707a.jpg

All complete

DSC02092_zps33220ba4.jpg

Filled and leaked tested. but decided to make a last minute change so drained and pulled apart again.

DSC02111_zps7135d05b.jpg

naked board

DSC02112_zpseee5d83e.jpg

Heatsinks painted - wasn't sure whether i should do this but the green annoyed me a lot.

by the way temperatures have hardly been affected.

DSC02119_zps28d8b721.jpg

Back together

DSC02123_zps608cfffc.jpg

DSC02124_zpscbfc7dff.jpg

DSC02125_zpse2ffc558.jpg

DSC02126_zps71856af9.jpg

DSC02127_zpsd8473561.jpg

DSC02122_zpse028b0f9.jpg

DSC02072_zps8d17eab8.jpg

My dual monitor mount

So thats it. let me know what you like/don't like. also opinions on what i should use for the floor and 5.25" side panel.  

Nice monitor set-up and that is some amazing cable management, very neat. I like it also nice choice of case

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I personally think the cpu to gpu would be better when it would come out straight, and not have that weird excess bend in it, for the rest its really cool

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

What a sexy Define R4 build! :o 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Looks amazing!

Would love to watercool my R4 but it would just cost too much (€800). curious how you mounted the pump/res to the fan of the radiator,  what bracket did you use?

current system:  i5 2500k @4.5ghz cooled by antec 620 - asrock z77 extreme 4 - 8gb corsair RAM - MSI Twin Frorz 7950 in crossfire - XFX 850w  - Fractal design R4 - samsung 840 120gb ssd - 500gb wd blue hdd - 1440p korean qnix monitor (love it!)

Yup, I like it. Good to see white LEDs. thumb.gif

Small note: You can put an @ before a member name, or alternatively (if they nick has

a space in it or other special chars), use the following code:

[member='membername with special stuff']
And the member will get a notification that they have been mentioned in a post (if they

have that enabled in their settings, you can turn it off).

Example:

@doodle

Or, with the 'member' version: doodle

You can quote this post to see how it works.

Also: Welcome to the forums. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

This looks sexy as hell! Love that little CPU to GPU loop, I'm sure it's just for looks. How hard is it to bend the acrylic properly?

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

thanks guys

@alpenwasser thanks for the tip

@coen113, @JohnnyGrey I was originally going to do just a straight 90 angle run but thought i would try something a little harder, it is just for looks. again as i mentioned was inspired by @Hanoverfist Electric Orange build. That piece took longer to do than all the others put to together. so yea it isn't easy. 

@MoYo its a Res mount for radiators. not designed to be used over a fan but i made it work. 

If you put white LED's in the raystorm block and tidy up the pcie power cables (it looks abit odd with that curve) and the 24 pin (just a little)

then it would be a hands down 20/20 build :)

being picky I know, but seems like you went all out (seen by the extra "unnecessary" bend with the rigid tubing from the cpu block to gpu) might as well go all the way and create

PERFECTION !

I dunno, highlighting the cpu block would look nice imo, it seems abit dark shadowed by the 240mm rad up top

Very nice

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

That looks amazing! It's very close to what I'd like to do with my build, I love wah tyou did with the CPU block to GPU block part.

Did you use any tutorials you can link? Or are you just more resourceful than me? :)

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

Looks amazing! :wub:  What monitor mount are you using (with which LG monitors)?

Rig: Lian Li PC-V353 i5 2500K, GA-Z68MA-D2H, EVGA GTX 650, CM Gemiin S524, Corsair TX650M, Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Fiio E10

oooh! Very nice.

Hard pipes are always the best...

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Thanks for the comments guys

@superducky94 @FranktheDinosaur the Monitors are LG 27" IPS 27EA63, The monitor mount is a Arctic Cooling Z-2 dual mount. easily the cheapest dual mount i could find. (£55 in the UK)

@Farncir that's the thing, i did have some XSPC white LED's for the blocks but they died in the space of a month. so if you know of some 3mm LED's that will last then i will get some. wouldn't disagree about the 24pin, but its due to the grommet positions. maybe i could just route it round the motherboard tray?

@Jokrik @Rekhyt Just used the Primochill video they made on how to bend tubing. other thing i did was mark out some angles on some cardboard, so i had some sort of guide. then used something circular to bend the tube round. best advice i can give is buy more tubing than you need so you can experiment/pratice. 

@doodle

thanks for inspiration comments

but your build are exceptional, and it become an inspiration itself

im not a fan of black/white build but yours is really great, just enough white at right place

My Build Logs

Snef Bloody Angel --- Sand of God --- Red Poseidon --- Purple Chimera BOTM July 26 2013 --- Icy Blue Angel BOTM May 10 2013 --- Extremmme Red DemonBOTM March 29 2013

Posted Image

Heatsinks painted - wasn't sure whether i should do this but the green annoyed me a lot.

by the way temperatures have hardly been affected.

I really love your build. It looks amazing.

Only a question. What do you mean when you say temps have been "hardly affected"?. I have a white&red rig and the blue heatsink of my gigabyte motherboard is hurting my eyes, so i was thinkin' in painting it or, maybe, putting some kind of vinyl

@doodle

thanks for inspiration comments

but your build are exceptional, and it become an inspiration itself

im not a fan of black/white build but yours is really great, just enough white at right place

Really appreciate the comments snef

I really love your build. It looks amazing.

Only a question. What do you mean when you say temps have been "hardly affected"?. I have a white&red rig and the blue heatsink of my gigabyte motherboard is hurting my eyes, so i was thinkin' in painting it or, maybe, putting some kind of vinyl

My motherboard temperatures have not been affected what so ever. still hovering around what they were before painting the heatsinks.