Outlast 2 banned in Australia

Ezio Auditore
54 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Wait. This doesn't matter anyway due to online distribution. So so much for it being banned - because you can't ban digital media in this day and age.

It will matter if you are buying things from steam cause then you would have to pay in Australian dollars which brings the government in...... Also steam has to have consent of the country and cannot just globally distribute games. 

But you have a way if you pirate it or use gray market stuff. 

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

At the end of the day, the game is pure fiction. And the onus is not on anyone else except the parents as to what games their kids are allowed to play.

I agree. Unfortunately, not enough parents (IMO) are responsible enough to be aware of what their children are looking at and playing. 

Not saying that's an excuse to ban the game, just stating something I've observed. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Honestly if Australians cannot sort this shit out and demand their politicians drop this stupid bullshit fuck em, they shouldn't get the games.

If I remember correctly our Prime Minister is a self admitted feminist......

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

It will matter if you are buying things from steam cause then you would have to pay in Australian dollars which brings the government in...... Also steam has to have consent of the country and cannot just globally distribute games. 

But you have a way if you pirate it or use gray market stuff. 

No grey market needed, and there are other distribution platforms. For example physical copies off Amazon or Ebay (though with Ebay you do need to make sure the copy isn't from China or Hong kong)

PMSL

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

No grey market needed, and there are other distribution platforms. For example physical copies off Amazon or Ebay (though with Ebay you do need to make sure the copy isn't from China or Hong kong)

Yes,  it could work. Hmm..... 

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

10 hours ago, JoseGuya said:

Good luck banning something on the internet Australia... 

Well I mean will Australian internet speeds let you download it anyway?

1 hour ago, Eaglerino said:

Well I mean will Australian internet speeds let you download it anyway?

For me, I'm lucky due to Telstra some how managing to get just under double the speed of Optus....twice as far from the exchange. So I get a bit over 7Mbps (used to be 9Mbps before the new year-Telstra changed something and now its slower) despite being almost 10KM away from it.

PMSL

16 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Personal responsibility is a thing though. Why should content be blocked because some parents can't be bothered to be responsible for their own children?

But is it not unfair to the child and potentially their future equals that they've been psychologically scarred from content they never should have had access to due to negligent parents?

I agree that censorship may be the wrong path, but food for thought nonetheless.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

16 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Warnings and ratings do next to nothing because there's nothing controlling things on the user's end, except parents. And we all know, some parents don't pay attention or control what content their children take in (when the very well should). So I totally understand why they did this. After reading the article, I don't understand why there's a need to make a game with such content. I have Outlast and played through some of it for the thrill/suspense factor, but this I think, is over the line. 

Many times the ratings are very excessive. Many games shouldn't be rated 17+, and parents realize that. But, most parents think that all 17+ games are created equal. I think a 6 year playing Halo would be fine but not GTA even though they are rated the same.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Will someone please remind the governments of the world that it is not their job to protect people from things they find offensive? And can they please remind those people that the correct course of action is to simply not partake in those things which offend them. This goes for the left, and the right.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, Suika said:

But is it not unfair to the child and potentially their future equals that they've been psychologically scarred from content they never should have had access to due to negligent parents?

I agree that censorship may be the wrong path, but food for thought nonetheless.

Still the parents fault.

2 hours ago, arnavvr said:

. I think a 6 year playing Halo would be fine but not GTA even though they are rated the same.

What do you think would be the likely outcome of allowing a 6 year old to play grand theft auto? 

I'm interested. I wonder if there have been peer reviewed studies of effects etc. 

5 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Still the parents fault.

I was suggesting the idea that the root of these issues come down to irresponsible parents, and asking what we can do about that... but in a sense, you're not wrong.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

There are other ways of getting banned material from the internet. If people want something really badly they will get it. Just look at jack sparrow i love them movies.

I guess Australia isn't so great after all when your government can dictate creativity and free speech. :):):)

Ratings are not law binding unless a shop SOLD it to a younger person, at home nothing matters, it is at the discretion of the parents.

I have a intel xeon cpu and a 1070 i hope this makes you salty.

1 hour ago, Suika said:

I was suggesting the idea that the root of these issues come down to irresponsible parents, and asking what we can do about that... but in a sense, you're not wrong.

True.

I guess society will owe them some kind of therapy?

On 3/17/2017 at 4:42 AM, Ezio Auditore said:

Original article

Outlast 2 has been refused classification in Australia so it won't release here.

Though there is some possibility provided Red Barrels, the dev, deems it worthy.

The scenes because of which Outlast 2 was denied classification can be read in Kotaku's article but note that it is not suitable for 'all audiences' which is also the reason why I am not quoting it.

Australia is also notorious for banning certain games like:

Outlast 2 which was originally supposed to release at the end of 2016 was delayed until April but it seems that our Australian counterparts might not be able to play it, Legally that is.

Solution - Amazon or online download.

Screw government officials and their ban hammers ..... /s

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Well it took us ages to finally get a R18 rating and then they go ahead and decide to never use it, atleast im on PC and have ways to get around it.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

On 19/03/2017 at 2:09 AM, SansVarnic said:

Solution - Amazon or online download.

Screw government officials and their ban hammers ..... /s

I'm an adult, so the pricks can fuck right off.

PMSL

Don't try to understand the people who apply moral standards in AUS. This is the country where you get charged as a sex offender for pissing in public.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 3/17/2017 at 7:39 AM, tlink said:

Eh I understand somewhat but they should just put a big implied sexual violence warning sticker on it and call it a day.

Just a big old trigger warning or else the sjw will chase you with pitch forked as they do their autistic screeching 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

On 3/17/2017 at 6:00 AM, Rika Shiguma said:

Doesn't suprise me at all. After all we banned Postal and Postal 2 and more. Welcome to australia!

Postal 2 was a fucked up, yet satirical game though. Just unzip and pee on everyone lol. Still own a physical copy. Don't know why though.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14