What is this ac outlet?

Attatched below is a video showing what I'm talking about. There is a metal junction box with Romex cables coming out. There seems to be an extra place to put more in, but I can't figure out how. I morning to put an ethernet switch up in the attic, so how do I get the Romex coming out to an ac outlet? 

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

where is the video?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

Attatched below is a video showing what I'm talking about. There is a metal junction box with Romex cables coming out. There seems to be an extra place to put more in, but I can't figure out how. I morning to put an ethernet switch up in the attic, so how do I get the Romex coming out to an ac outlet? 

Do you have a photo of this first, if your dealing with electrical and not familiar with it I wouldn't recommend to mess around with it. 

9 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

Can't help you if you don't put the video.  None of us here are either psychic or telepathic.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

13 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

Your talking electrical and your not an electrician. Call one before you burn down your house or electrocute yourself. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

18 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

No picture and no video.

By the way.  If I understand, what you are trying to do is run an Ethernet cable to that junction box and leave a keystone for the Ethernet receptacle? If that is the case, that is not allowed by building/electrical code. Low voltage data and mains line need separate junction boxes. Get an electrician to do this for you. Its not drastically difficult, they just cut out a square of drywall, drill a hole through the fire block and top plate, and run an Ethernet cable and install retrofit low voltage gang boxes.

EDIT:
Or are you wanting to branch the circuit to another dedicated outlet in the attic? Most attics should have a plug or two already in there, especially if you have a light fixture or furnace/air handle in the attic. I'd advice against blindly branching off a circuit from a junction box. Some of them may be switched for room lighting, some may be 240 volt if it leads to a dryer outlet, electrical water heater, garage outlet, etc.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

you forgot to post that video. anyways dont run low volt wires like ethernet right next to high volt wires/cables. the high volts might mess up the low volt stuff. if all your doing to running one more outlet/light just watch a youtube video on how. its not that hard, its just like cable management in a pc build but with your walls. no reason to waste money on an electrician.

wait wait, hold on

you forgot to post the video or a pic

:P

Scrap your plan. All of it is a bad idea (yes including the switch in the attic part). 

1 hour ago, beavo451 said:

Scrap your plan. All of it is a bad idea (yes including the switch in the attic part). 

Why is all of it a bad idea? As far as I know it is extremely commonplace and I've never heard someone say not to do it.

8 hours ago, Scheer said:

Why is all of it a bad idea? As far as I know it is extremely commonplace and I've never heard someone say not to do it.

Heat. Dust (from insulation, fiberglass, etc). Some places are prone to rats, meaning chewed Ethernet cables.

I have mine running down to a patch panel in a closet in the hallway. Doesn't take up much space and is in a well ventilated area.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

8 hours ago, Scheer said:

Show some examples of this "extremely commonplace" practice.

Electronics do not fair well when subjected to extreme temperatures and extreme temperature swings. There are hardened devices that are designed for that. The vast majority are not.

You have to climb up into the attic to make any changes or reset the switch.

The attic is a far dirtier place and less control over humidity. This causes faster physical wear and corrosion.

20 hours ago, beavo451 said:

Show some examples of this "extremely commonplace" practice.

Electronics do not fair well when subjected to extreme temperatures and extreme temperature swings. There are hardened devices that are designed for that. The vast majority are not.

You have to climb up into the attic to make any changes or reset the switch.

The attic is a far dirtier place and less control over humidity. This causes faster physical wear and corrosion.

Ah, I wasn't sure if you meant there was a code violation or something to do with not doing it. IMO, I'd gladly replace a $20 switch every 5-10 years over tearing my walls apart to run more ethernet cables.

As for examples I've had a $15 Trendnet switch in my attic for almost 4 years now, never needed to reset it. Most all of my family has switches in their attics, and the warehouses where I work have switches zip tied to the poles and are so dusty you can barely tell its a switch, some are 10mbps switches they are so old. I've just never heard it to be a problem and was curious.

Obviously its not the best solution, but in practice I've found it works well.

On 3/14/2017 at 1:10 PM, Scheer said:

Ah, I wasn't sure if you meant there was a code violation or something to do with not doing it. IMO, I'd gladly replace a $20 switch every 5-10 years over tearing my walls apart to run more ethernet cables.

As for examples I've had a $15 Trendnet switch in my attic for almost 4 years now, never needed to reset it. Most all of my family has switches in their attics, and the warehouses where I work have switches zip tied to the poles and are so dusty you can barely tell its a switch, some are 10mbps switches they are so old. I've just never heard it to be a problem and was curious.

Obviously its not the best solution, but in practice I've found it works well.

To be honest this is kind of what I was planning on doing in my house once I move in. Switches are pretty stout anyways as there really isn't much to them.

15 minutes ago, WTxR3dn3ck said:

To be honest this is kind of what I was planning on doing in my house once I move in. Switches are pretty stout anyways as there really isn't much to them.

Why?

3 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

Why?

Mostly for shorter cable runs

I mean $20 every few years isn't as bad as having to run more cables through walls than a future buyer may mind dealing with, not to mention I would prefer to not have to pull another cable to my router every time I add a hard-line device to the network

5 minutes ago, WTxR3dn3ck said:

Mostly for shorter cable runs

I mean $20 every few years isn't as bad as having to run more cables through walls than a future buyer may mind dealing with, not to mention I would prefer to not have to pull another cable to my router every time I add a hard-line device to the network

Shorter runs? That doesn't make any sense. A 25 foot cable isn't going to perform any better than a 30 foot cable.

Future sale? It would annoy the ever living crap out of me to have a bunch of network cables terminate in the attic instead of neatly ran to one location in a closet or something.

Pull another cable? You have to get up in the attic anyway to add another cable run. It's not any more work to feed that cable down to your central network location.