Ryzen Overclocking and Simultaneous Multithreading Info

Techstorm970
3 minutes ago, outercry said:

Oh well, waiting for the next hype train, possibly Vega...

Due to the amount of BS and thread spam etc when it comes round to Vega pre-launch I or we the mod team will likely look at cracking down on this. There have been too many threads, many sudo different topics but really the same thing referencing the same source(s) etc.

Reddit posts wouldn't normally qualify as an allowed source for news topics either, not for things like CPUs and GPUs, but as above so many damn threads made it hard to enforce this and would have been easier to stop if that was something we had to plan on doing from the start.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Due to the amount of BS and thread spam etc when it comes round to Vega pre-launch I or we the mod team will likely look at cracking down on this. There have been too many threads, many sudo different topics but really the same thing referencing the same source(s) etc.

Reddit posts wouldn't normally qualify as an allowed source for news topics either, not for things like CPUs and GPUs, but as above so many damn threads made it hard to enforce this and would have been easier to stop if that was something we had to plan on doing from the start.

I'm really glad to hear that. I do think the sheer amount of "different" threads about the same thing basically have made these forums a bit of a mess to be honest. So yeah, really glad to hear you will be tackling this with Vega etc., because it will be inevitable.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

#ModRage

I feel you though, used to work as a mod for a game forum, I used to be tearing out my hair at the amount of threads for a game bug that poped up when there was learly one we had pinned for it already and all people had to do was read it >.>

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its not fun to overclock "just a bit". thats why i find it a dissapointment. we dont have any benchmarks or real overclocks yet but i would find 4.4GHz to be a bit lacking. also havent talked to a single person who hasent been able to push there I5 4690K above 4.4GHz, most iv talked to can get 4.6GHz or so but i havent talked to 2000 people i gues

i have a 4690K overclocked to 4.6ghz. could probably go higher but i have to add a lot of voltage 

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its not fun to overclock "just a bit". thats why i find it a dissapointment. we dont have any benchmarks or real overclocks yet but i would find 4.4GHz to be a bit lacking. also havent talked to a single person who hasent been able to push there I5 4690K above 4.4GHz, most iv talked to can get 4.6GHz or so but i havent talked to 2000 people i gues

You shouldn't expect such high frequency from 6/8+ core CPUs, this just isn't possible due to power and heat reasons. Has nothing to do with AMD or Intel, physics/science must be obeyed ;). I don't run my 4930k over 4Ghz 24/7 ever, I can run 4.3 to 4.4 but it's not exactly fully stable or something I'd leave on for any longer than I'd need to which to be honest is never as no game needs it.

Plus using raw numbers like this is just bad, use percentage. A 4.4Ghz OC might be amazing for a Zen based CPU, if base clock was 2.8GHz. It's not but illustrates the point.

Oh and just to clarify, I'm not having a go at the mods or anything like that, just wishing people wouldn't re-post the same things under different names over and over again.

Like XenosTech said above, being a mod isn't easy, especially when running a huge forum like this.

Sandybridge does 5GHz on air, Haswell does 4.8GHz despite the FIVR, and then you have the FX series which manages the same. Big woop.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, outercry said:

Oh and just to clarify, I'm not having a go at the mods or anything like that, just wishing people wouldn't re-post the same things under different names over and over again.

Like XenosTech said above, being a mod isn't easy, especially when running a huge forum like this.

Oh we know you aren't but I do fully agree with what you said.

Does anyone know if Ryzen will have dedicated h265 decoding like Kaby Lake? You know like the whole DRM with windows 10 and Netflix, if you want to view 4K content from Netfilx you need the Kaby Lake decoder and Win10.

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I consider myself to be a competent overclocker, and the 4690k sitting behind me was only able to hit 4.4ghz. It's voltwage wall happened at 1.25v, and even at 1.3v, couldn't hit 4.5. This is with a PH-TC14PE strapped to it. It's not limited by thermals either, it simply falls unstable after 4.4. If you'd like to count the 4690k's and get the exact average, by all means, I won't stop you, lol: http://www.overclock.net/t/1490324/the-intel-devils-canyon-owners-club

As for it not being fun to overclock "just a bit", what do you mean by this? Going from 3.3 to 4.4 (if this extremely vague rumor is to be believed) just as impressive as going from 3.5 to 4.7? With that logic, the 4790k is a disappointment because it only goes from 4.0 to 4.7 on average (technically 4.4 if you compare it's all-core boost). If you compare the 3.9ghz all-core boost of the 4690k to the rumored 3.7ghz boost of the 1600x, your chip and "presumably" this Ryzen chip get an extra 800mhz out of overclocking.

People are boasting about these new Kaby lake chips hitting 5.2ghz, but their base is 4.5ghz. Again, only an extra 700mhz. It seems as if you are only quoting what Linus said from the WAN show, so I'll say this: We have not had chips with huge overclocking windows since Sandy/Ivy. Sure, we had the G3258's and the locked Skylake chips, but those are a different story entirely, and would certainly not hold a candle to even average-clocked, higher-thread CPU's. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

5 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

Does anyone know if Ryzen will have dedicated h265 decoding like Kaby Lake? You know like the whole DRM with windows 10 and Netflix, if you want to view 4K content from Netfilx you need the Kaby Lake decoder and Win10.

Ryzen doesn't have an iGPU, but AMD may support the DRM with their APUs 

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You shouldn't expect such high frequency from 6/8+ core CPUs, this just isn't possible due to power and heat reasons. Has nothing to do with AMD or Intel, physics/science must be obeyed ;). I don't run my 4930k over 4Ghz 24/7 ever, I can run 4.3 to 4.4 but it's not exactly fully stable or something I'd leave on for any longer than I'd need to which to be honest is never as no game needs it.

Plus using raw numbers like this is just bad, use percentage. A 4.4Ghz OC might be amazing for a Zen based CPU, if base clock was 2.8GHz. It's not but illustrates the point.

well the thing is that we basically have the base clocks confirmed at this point, haveing multiple independant sources confirming the same info, the ones we have seen have all been running a base of about 3.5GHz and the top end chip getting closer to 4GHz with a 4GHz base turbo. ofcource an architecture with a lot of cores will clock lower but seeing as they are rated for relativly low TDPs they are also going to be efficient if they have the preformance thats promised. its not a lack of preformance really, 4.4GHz with Broadwell-E IPC and 8c/16th is great, but i just find the overclock dissapointing personaly.

8 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I consider myself to be a competent overclocker, and the 4690k sitting behind me was only able to hit 4.4ghz. It's voltwage wall happened at 1.25v, and even at 1.3v, couldn't hit 4.5. This is with a PH-TC14PE strapped to it. It's not limited by thermals either, it simply falls unstable after 4.4. If you'd like to count the 4690k's and get the exact average, by all means, I won't stop you, lol: http://www.overclock.net/t/1490324/the-intel-devils-canyon-owners-club

As for it not being fun to overclock "just a bit", what do you mean by this? Going from 3.3 to 4.4 (if this extremely vague rumor is to be believed) just as impressive as going from 3.5 to 4.7? With that logic, the 4790k is a disappointment because it only goes from 4.0 to 4.7 on average (technically 4.4 if you compare it's all-core boost). If you compare the 3.9ghz all-core boost of the 4690k to the rumored 3.7ghz boost of the 1600x, your chip and "presumably" this Ryzen chip get an extra 800mhz out of overclocking.

People are boasting about these new Kaby lake chips hitting 5.2ghz, but their base is 4.5ghz. Again, only an extra 700mhz. It seems as if you are only quoting what Linus said from the WAN show, so I'll say this: We have not had chips with huge overclocking windows since Sandy/Ivy. Sure, we had the G3258's and the locked Skylake chips, but those are a different story entirely, and would certainly not hold a candle to even average-clocked, higher-thread CPU's. 

seems more like 4.5GHz for the avrage I5 4690K from that source to me, anyway i was pretty sure i was about an avrage chip on my chip, thats why it seemed so dissapointing, a bit better IPC but quite a bit lower frequency feels kind of meh, still this 4.4GHz is a speculation and we will have to wait and see. also for voltage on my I5 4690K i run 1.335V, try that if you want that CPU higher, it was the magic number for me.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well the thing is that we basically have the base clocks confirmed at this point, haveing multiple independant sources confirming the same info, the ones we have seen have all been running a base of about 3.5GHz and the top end chip getting closer to 4GHz with a 4GHz base turbo. ofcource an architecture with a lot of cores will clock lower but seeing as they are rated for relativly low TDPs they are also going to be efficient if they have the preformance thats promised. its not a lack of preformance really, 4.4GHz with Broadwell-E IPC and 8c/16th is great, but i just find the overclock dissapointing personaly.

Yea this was actually something Linus and Luke were talking about on the WAN show. It's good for the consumer now that CPUs are coming out closer to their maximum potential but it does take away the ability to really OC, then there are things like GPU Boost and potentially XFR that make it even more pointless.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea this was actually something Linus and Luke were talking about on the WAN show. It's good for the consumer now that CPUs are coming out closer to their maximum potential but it does take away the ability to really OC, then there are things like GPU Boost and potentially XFR that make it even more pointless.

yah im not a big fan of auto overclocking features, sure if they overclock a bit then fine but GPU Boost 3.0 takes over controll really hard from what iv heard(i dont own a pascall card so i dont know) and every time iv seen someone use a motherboard auto overclocking its pushed quite a bit more voltage then needed too.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

34 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

Ryzen doesn't have an iGPU, but AMD may support the DRM with their APUs 

Yeah but doesn't kaby lake have a dedicated h256 decoder in it? Or in order to do that it has to use the igpu? So the h256 decoder is integrated in the gpu part.

6 hours ago, Prysin said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_multithreading

Btw, first "HT" CPU came out in 2004. But there was one planned from another company in 2001, but it didnt launch.

The first CPU to have hyperthreading actually came out in 2002.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_4/Intel-Pentium 4 3.06 GHz - RK80532PE083512 (BX80532PE3066D).html

PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

And a whole bunch of them in 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_4_microprocessors#Pentium_4_HT

That 130nm though...

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I had that P4, most useful thing about HT back then was when a thread went rouge and gets stuck at 100%. Previously this would pretty much lock a system up so bad it was hard to even kill the process, HT stopped that.

4 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I've got the first LGA 774 Pentium 4, the 540J and it was manufactured in September 2003, far sooner than the August 2004 (also, it is the same speed as a 65W P4 631).

PMSL

8 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I've got the first LGA 774 Pentium 4, the 540J and it was manufactured in September 2003, far sooner than the August 2004 (also, it is the same speed as a 65W P4 631).

I do still have my old P4 2.0 GHz in the attic in my other house, god knows which version. I should check it out at some point. Same as P3 and few other goodies. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Ryzen overclock potential will get better over the next few months. Keep in mind that this is a brand new design and global foundries will definitely produce better results after experience with mass production.

At launch I'm sure there will be some headroom for OC to satisfy us, but do not expect intel rivaling OCs unless you are lucky and get a golden chip.

8 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yah im not a big fan of auto overclocking features, sure if they overclock a bit then fine but GPU Boost 3.0 takes over controll really hard from what iv heard(i dont own a pascall card so i dont know) and every time iv seen someone use a motherboard auto overclocking its pushed quite a bit more voltage then needed too.

Having auto overclocking features on the pascal gpus makes overclocking them kinda pointless. My gtx 1070 hit 2000 mhz out of the box without messing with anything. It's great for people who don't want to overclock because they get a ton of extra performance but it does make overclocking it yourself less fun and rewarding. 

"Experts say AMD's new Simultaneous Multithreading is actually BETTER than Intel's Hyperthreading."

Im not saying its absolute truth but just a single thought of this happening gave me goosebumps !!! :-O

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

4 hours ago, Thony said:

"Experts say AMD's new Simultaneous Multithreading is actually BETTER than Intel's Hyperthreading."

Im not saying its absolute truth but just a single thought of this happening gave me goosebumps !!! :-O

If I remember the video correctly, he said something about the cores not having to fight over threads all that much in the Ryzen architecture.  On the other hand, Hyperthreaded Intel cores do have to fight over threads more often than in Ryzen (although still not that much).

My broad conclusion: AMD has figured some stuff out over the past 5 years.:P

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

17 minutes ago, techstorm970 said:

If I remember the video correctly, he said something about the cores not having to fight over threads all that much in the Ryzen architecture.  On the other hand, Hyperthreaded Intel cores do have to fight over threads more often than in Ryzen (although still not that much).

My broad conclusion: AMD has figured some stuff out over the past 5 years.:P

A slightly more technical explanation of what that even means wouldn't hurt :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.