Evga's icx cooler detailed (updated: ICX upgrade program)

NumLock21
4 hours ago, Nup said:

Not on the inside, I prefer it with just one led strip :P

I can appreciate that idea.    I like subdued lighting in my case.  Enough to see what's in it but not lit up too bright.  

The question on my mind is "do I buy the ICX FTW or SC" and when.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

if EVGA made an ICX RX 480 8GB then I would buy that.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

if EVGA made an ICX RX 480 8GB then I would buy that.

EVGA cant sell AMD cards

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

39 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Get the SC. I had a GTX 660 SC before that clocks better than most FTWs. What you just need is good airflow in your case.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

4 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

Get the SC. I had a GTX 660 SC before that clocks better than most FTWs. What you just need is good airflow in your case.

I have the 1080 FTW right now. But I don't overclock, so you might be on to something.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

I have a 1070 SC for a few months, then installed the hybrid cooler on it. Overclocks haven't improved since the move, but it has made boost clocks more consistent across the board. 

18 hours ago, edsdrafts said:

Seems like everyone is on a hype train these days. ACX cooler is fine. If you are extremely picky - request the pads and you'll get them for free. Done.

As for coolers in general I think EVGA has done a great job. They are probably the only ones who made their graphic card shroud look somewhat presentable. It seems to me like the whole GTX 10x0 range is targeted at teenagers.

As for ICX cooler it is very nice I must say. I love it and looking into getting one. But saying ACX is crap is a bit of much. Don't you think?

Due to the fact that EVGA took their time to sent me the pads (around 2.5 months) i did the mod myself had to pay extra 30 euros to make sure my VRMs would not blow up. After the mod i managed + 600 mhz on the VRAM on tests that whilst before the mod i could only give it 100mhz that shows how toasty the vram went. ACX was crap the VRAM pads did not made contact with the VRAM (my card and many others) plus the inadequate cooling on the VRMs. So yeah. The other reason I am pissed is that i paid premium for a non premium product as it turns out.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

1 hour ago, Paragon_X said:

Due to the fact that EVGA took their time to sent me the pads (around 2.5 months) i did the mod myself had to pay extra 30 euros to make sure my VRMs would not blow up. After the mod i managed + 600 mhz on the VRAM on tests that whilst before the mod i could only give it 100mhz that shows how toasty the vram went. ACX was crap the VRAM pads did not made contact with the VRAM (my card and many others) plus the inadequate cooling on the VRMs. So yeah. The other reason I am pissed is that i paid premium for a non premium product as it turns out.

EVGA did accept the issue is there which is quite a big deal these days. They also offered refund for those who are unhappy with the product and €100 upgrade path for those who just want the exchange to brand spanking new product.

I am planning to get their hybrid hydro GTX 1070 once it is released and connect it all together with CPU cooler in a single water loop.

I only had one EVGA card but I am planning to stick to them going forward.

Am I the only one who loves the look of the new coolers over the old ones? I love how industrial they look.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

EVGA cant sell AMD cards

why not?

Are they tied to a contract or just personal preference?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, edsdrafts said:

EVGA did accept the issue is there which is quite a big deal these days. They also offered refund for those who are unhappy with the product and €100 upgrade path for those who just want the exchange to brand spanking new product.

I am planning to get their hybrid hydro GTX 1070 once it is released and connect it all together with CPU cooler in a single water loop.

I only had one EVGA card but I am planning to stick to them going forward.

A refund definetely was not on the table. Only RMA and get a refurbished card that would have the mod and worked. Kudos to them for accepting the issue and create an overengineered solution to the problem - that, I like. But being in Europe the support was utterly shitty. I was calling EVGA Europe and they were not even picking up the phone. Anyway on my next upgrade I will wait for more thorough reviews that emerged after this incident 

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

9 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I have the 1080 FTW right now. But I don't overclock, so you might be on to something.

8 hours ago, Technicolors said:

I have a 1070 SC for a few months, then installed the hybrid cooler on it. Overclocks haven't improved since the move, but it has made boost clocks more consistent across the board. 

Yeah basically, as long as you have good temps the boost clocks would be really high and consistent throughout. Off topic - I think AMD is doing something similar with Ryzen (yes the CPU) in the case of something like a dynamic clock.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

So if I want that new iCX model I need to pay 100€ more? Nice

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

4 minutes ago, Tic-Tac said:

So if I want that new iCX model I need to pay 100€ more? Nice

It's only for the step up program really. An alternative would be reselling the card you have then buying the ICX model.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

why not?

Are they tied to a contract or just personal preference?

Contract. And look what happened to XFX when they tried moving to AMD as well

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:42 PM, Mooshi said:

lol @ everyone crying about aesthetics. Monitor is what you should be gawking at, not the hunk of metal and circuits delivering the picture. 

Lol at you for the lack of awareness that one can have both. Its called Progression.  :P

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

EVGA try hard cooling this time :)

i like the additional temp sensors hope everybody follows this move.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

2 hours ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Lol at you for the lack of awareness that one can have both. Its called Progression.  :P

I'd rather stare at my GF than a GPU backplate lmao

4 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Make sure you buy her dinner before the staring gets awkward.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

I updated the OP. A quick reviews of that new cooler is out

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 hours ago, Paragon_X said:

A refund definetely was not on the table. Only RMA and get a refurbished card that would have the mod and worked. Kudos to them for accepting the issue and create an overengineered solution to the problem - that, I like. But being in Europe the support was utterly shitty. I was calling EVGA Europe and they were not even picking up the phone. Anyway on my next upgrade I will wait for more thorough reviews that emerged after this incident 

I'm in Ireland myself and I found EVGA to be very quick to respond. Mind you I have always dealt with them via filling RMA online and following up via email.

EVGA is having a ICX upgrade program for current owners of EVGA 10 series cards

EVGA-ACX-To-ICX-Upgrade-Promotion.png

The old card must be registered with their EVGA accounts and the upgrade cost $100.

Rest of the ICX cards are revealed as well

http://wccftech.com/evga-geforce-10-icx-graphics-cards-launch/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, Mooshi said:

But I don't have a gf to stare at...  ☹️

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Make sure you buy her dinner and a video game before the staring gets awkward.

FTFY.  ? lol