"Cache" is dead! Long Live Windows 10.

AlTech

"Cache" is dead. No literally.

cache.png

A year or 2 ago, Microsoft showed off an experimental app garage project called "Cache". The idea was essentially allow sharing of clipboards and other stuff across devices.

Well today, Microsoft is officially shutting down this project. But don't get the knife, cutting board and red onion out yet! Microsoft is hinting at integrating Cache into Windows :).

This is super dank :D. I'm really looking forward to this even though it's a long ways off (at least 4-6 months , possible a year off).

In an email sent out to users, Microsoft has announced it is retiring Cache, a Microsoft Garage project described as a "visual bookmarking tool." According to the email, all development on Cache has now stopped and it will be formally shut down on February 28.

This is Microsoft's official response to why they are closing Cache.  Please note the highlighted words for emphasis. This strongly suggests Cache could be integrated into Redstone 3.

Last year, we set off on a mission to build the simplest way for people to organize their digital stuff around the things important to them, and evolved the OneClip app to Cache. We launched through The Microsoft Garage to bring Cache to you and learn from your feedback.

Over the course of this year, we learned that there was an appetite for a service like Cache, but more importantly, your feedback taught us a lot about the extent of the challenges people have with managing and organizing their work.

Moving forward, we won't develop Cache as a stand-alone product anymore, and we will shut down the Cache service on the 28th of February, 2017.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-retiring-cache-its-visual-bookmarking-garage-project

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Dat title tho.

I'm sorry man LMAO :D. It was so natural xD.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Yea I came here thinking storage caching and not some silly application.

It's gonna enable more productivity..... how is that silly?

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's gonna enable more productivity..... how is that silly?

Well applications for this already exist, for a long time, and the actual practical use case for this is small. How many people at home have multiple Windows OS devices, now how many of them actually want and will use a shared clipboard.

As for the "other stuff" yea that's been possible for ages too, what ever it is.

I'm not against merging this in to the OS but it was silly to ever have it as a stand alone application.

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

"Cache" is dead. No literally.

cache.png

IS THAT A FUCKING BEATS COMPUTER?!?!?!

i like trains 🙂

6 minutes ago, Implosivetech said:

It's a HP computer with a Beats Audio branding.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's a HP computer with a Beats Audio branding.

well, beats=bad

i like trains 🙂

3 hours ago, Implosivetech said:

It's beats by dad :'(

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

i heard about this

not on ios, no use for me

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Came in expecting csgo news... got rekt.

6900k. 64GB DDR4 3200. ASUS Rampage V Edition TEN. GTX TITAN X Pascal SLi.  

So now Windows will also send everything you copy/paste to Microsoft. No thanks. I'd rather not have a keylogger on my computer. 

If I had to go home and be constantly reminded what I had to do for work the next day.

tumblr_m2j0vmWRt81r04y2f.gif

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I will be the one to say this but I dont know what Cache is ... due to my own ignorance. Probably a good thing.

And I clicked on for the same reason as @leadeater :| instantly became disappointed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

I will be the one to say this but I dont know what Cache is ... due to my own ignorance. Probably a good thing.

And I clicked on for the same reason as @leadeater :| instantly became disappointed.

Productivity tool which copies clipboards across devices etc.

Synced clipboards are super useful. That being said, I'd rather a setup that can sync across all my devices, not just Windows and iOS.

Clipper is love. Clipper is life. I'd rather the Clipper app extend to Windows than require three seperate systems, one for Android, one for Windows, one for *nix.