Slack brings their app to the Windows Store for PCs

AlTech

Slack is bringing their desktop app to the Windows Store for PCs.

This new app will remain alongside the existing app for PC.

I think Windows Central puts it nicely

If you prefer using the Windows Store to manage your apps, this is sure to be good news as you can grab the app without hitting up Slack's website and rely on the Windows Store for updates from here on out.

The app looks to be a straight conversion of the desktop app that's already available, and thus shouldn't hold any surprises from a feature standpoint. The only major difference is you can manage the app through the Windows Store. Here's a recap of what to expect from Slack:

slack-windows-store.jpg

Nice, now they need to fix the Windows Phone App.

Source: http://www.windowscentral.com/slacks-desktop-app-now-available-windows-store

Link to download -> http://target.georiot.com/Proxy.ashx?TSID=15093&GR_URL=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fstore%2Fp%2Fslack%2F9wzdncrdk3wp

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

What ever happened to that thing Microsoft was making to compete with Slack?  I seem to recall there was one...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Is this like professional Discord?

basically

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Is this like professional Discord?

*Basically.

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What ever happened to that thing Microsoft was making to compete with Slack?  I seem to recall there was one...

They made it and it  came out.

It's called Microsoft Teams or something like that.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Businesses only, and the focus of the app is where it lacks on Slack: Office.

Basically, Microsoft Team is focused on people working daily with Microsoft Office apps

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Businesses only, and the focus of the app is where it lacks on Slack: Office.

Basically, Microsoft Team is focused on people working daily with Microsoft Office apps

It's a shame this new app is not UWP......

It's so asinine that they can even get away with stuff like this. Their current WP app sucks so much......

UPDATE:

I've tried out their new app and it really sucks.

There's literally almost no optimizations to make it better as a Windows 10 app. It just feels like a web wrapper.......

25 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's a shame this new app is not UWP......

It's so asinine that they can even get away with stuff like this. Their current WP app sucks so much......

The mobile app is actually pretty good. It feels like a web wrapper but it isn't, it is a native Windows 8 Phone app (so there is your loss of performance). It runs really well on my phone. The app is feature complete and you should be happy that it is actually actively supported. Definitely has some Windows 8/10 Phone/Mobile fans in the company. They probably use something like Xamarin, allowing the core to be coded once, and delivered on all platform. Sure it isn't a native Windows 10 UWP app, but it still delivers.

Let's be honest, with current market of Windows 10 Mobile, thanks to Microsoft wonderful efforts in pushing this platform since day 1. It makes 0 sense to make a native app for the platform. Let alone anything. At least, they expand their market share with Windows Phone 8 which actually has a larger market share, and on the PC side, their app being Win32, allows Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 users use their apps (well today: Windows 7, 8 and 10). Many businesses still runs on Windows 7 (although they are indeed switching to Windows 10), it would make no sense for an app like Slack, which the whole point is that no one is left behind and it runs on anything, to drop support, or provide an inferior app experience to Windows 10 /10 mobile, due to starting fresh, and time is needed to catch up to the Win32 app feature set and quality.

So another one of those hipster apps for business along with many others out there that 99% of people probably never heard about.  What happened to just using a paper with feather pen and sending your message through a mailman riding a pony or miniature horse?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

UPDATE:

I've tried out their new app and it really sucks.

There's literally almost no optimizations to make it better as a Windows 10 app. It just feels like a web wrapper.......

All desktop slack builds are just web wrappers, and they work absolutely fine. I would rather that they can make one version that runs on the web, windows, linux, osx, windows store, and any other dekstop platform that you want to name, than them spending lots of time and resources implementing each one independently, meaning less features for everyone.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

All desktop slack builds are just web wrappers, and they work absolutely fine. I would rather that they can make one version that runs on the web, windows, linux, osx, windows store, and any other dekstop platform that you want to name, than them spending lots of time and resources implementing each one independently, meaning less features for everyone.

Truth be told, if you just make a great web version, that's all you need.  Making an app for each OS just wastes resources.  Mobile apps have a bit more of a reason to exist, but even then, if done right, the website could be nearly as good.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Truth be told, if you just make a great web version, that's all you need.  Making an app for each OS just wastes resources.  Mobile apps have a bit more of a reason to exist, but even then, if done right, the website could be nearly as good.

I wonder where have I heard that a billion times before. An app for a website. For a forum perhaps? Nah, I must be imagining things. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

in other almost related news: Discord as finally released the app for Linux! Huzzah!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

4 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

out of curiosity, are you guys old? This idea of apps being terrible stems from older people.

I spoke to a professional

UX/UI designer and they said that apps are better for interaction and websites are better for information.

the only reason web apps exist is as an excuse not to make a REAL app. Why do you think Slack costs money for the advanced stuff? People pay them to deliver a product and yet they are being cheap and not delivering real apls.

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

out of curiosity, are you guys old? This idea of apps being terrible stems from older people.

UX/UI designer and they said that apps are better for interaction and websites are better for information.

the only reason web apps exist is as an excuse not to make a REAL app. Why do you think Slack costs money for the advanced stuff? People pay them to deliver a product and yet they are being cheap and not delivering real apls.

I'm not that old but I often think like an old person :P

You young whippersnappers and your confounded "apps" and "hashtags"!! *irritated growling*

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Sounds like you spoke to a close minded dolt, whose probably old and set in his ways. Websites have become increasingly complex and their functionality has expanded to be able to perform many tasks that would have required dedicated programs to run half way decent 15 years ago.

The only things holding those sites back are:

Internet speeds & reliability

Poor execution on some products.

the only reason web apps exist is as an excuse not to make a REAL app.

Alternative reason: A webpage can be as complex and functional as a native app, and it requires less work to port over to additional ecosystems. That leads to either spending less on the man hours wasted subpar optimizing for lil Jimmy's Moto Z and Sally Sue's iPhone 7, or more work put into developing new features or products.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Sounds like you spoke to a close minded dolt, whose probably old and set in his ways. Websites have become increasingly complex and their functionality has expanded to be able to perform many tasks that would have required dedicated programs to run half way decent 15 years ago.

The only things holding those sites back are:

Internet speeds & reliability

Poor execution on some products.

Alternative reason: A webpage can be as complex and functional as a native app, and it requires less work to port over to additional ecosystems. That leads to either spending less on the man hours wasted subpar optimizing for lil Jimmy's Moto Z and Sally Sue's iPhone 7, or more work put into developing new features or products.

Are you a fucking programmer? No? Damn straight you're not.

There's a huge difference between what I could do with a Web App and what I could do with a native app. My programming projects taking the longest and most time consuming at the moment are all web based.

I've had to make compromises...... I can't support my vision for what I originally wanted for those apps. I had to create an inferior experience than I would ever have to for a native app.

Are you a fucking programmer? No? Damn straight you're not.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were a medium.

Oh wait, you aren't.

Programming isn't my profession, nor is it my hobby anymore. But if I need to get my hands in some code, I can get my hands in some code.

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

There's a huge difference between what I could do with a Web App and what I could do with a native app.

With the exception of a good deal of PC gaming, there isn't any difference between what a competent developer could do with a web app and a native app.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.