Nvidia is bringing High Performance Gaming to your Ultraportable for a Subscription fee

AlTech
23 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you literally play less than 5 hours per week then it MIGHT be worth it.

5 hours per week on a GTX 1060 VM would be 25 dollars every 4 weeks, or 325 dollar per year (there are 13 four week periods in a year). Or a GTX 1070 with MiR level graphics card every year)

5 hours per week on a GTX 1080 VM would be twice that (650 dollars per year). Or a 1300 dollar computer every two years that you could use for more than 5 hours per week.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

17 minutes ago, Sunako said:

It looks like you don't need to own any of the games they just come with the service so this is were most of the cost is most likely coming from.

Nope, you have to provide the games yourself. Your own Steam/UPlay/etc library is what you boot, then send that data to an nVidia render farm so they can render the frames for you.

It's like Steam In-home Streaming. Except over the internet. With a lot higher ping and costing you a heck of a lot more.

Ye ole' train

Not as far as the arrival I read currently 64 included games with the sevice that the 1060  and 1080 stream time are also connected to there is a store you can buy games or you can link steam and or other services to prove ownership is the game is not on the included list at that time

1 hour ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

20 hours for $25. So that's $25 for, lets face it, a week at most for 1060 performance ignoring latency and all that jazz. $100 a month. So in two-and-a-half months you've spend the same amount of money as if you'd bought the damn card itself, after which it's only losing you money by the minute.

It also depends on what games you play. I play mostly dota2/CSGO and then occasionally play demanding games. So.....maybe like 50-100 hours/year of serious gaming that would really need some power. So for me it would work out in my favor.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

49 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Nope, you have to provide the games yourself. Your own Steam/UPlay/etc library is what you boot, then send that data to an nVidia render farm so they can render the frames for you.

It's like Steam In-home Streaming. Except over the internet. With a lot higher ping and costing you a heck of a lot more.

Nope, Nvidia have a library of titles available that you can play included in the cost of the subscription plus you can buy newer titles direct from them and not only can you stream them but you also get a key for the game too.

At least that's how it currently works for Shield owners anyway.

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/shield/games/geforce-now/

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Isn't this effectively OnLive?

Remember how that went?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

OR you go liquidsky.

3 hours free every day but with ads and you can buy subscriptions and stuff, i don't know they changed their prices like today or yesterday and it seems like they are still figuring out the details

https://liquidsky.tv/

Especially that 3 hours a day free with ads sounds really tempting.

If you are on vacation and you only have your bad notebook with you but you want to game a bit, off you go, for free :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Going on a trip with an Atom device or similar, and the place you're staying at has a good connection, you can still have your fill of games. I wouldn't suggest this for home usage though. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Didn't know enougth people have fast enougth internet to to use this service and actually make profit.

On the other hand they can sell conpute recources to companies for öbig data analysis or alike. With giving priority to the game streams they can utilize the datacenter almost 100% for 24/7.

Given the very high price they will make money like creazy if it takes off. So do the math yourself and don't use it.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Going on a trip with an Atom device or similar, and the place you're staying at has a good connection, you can still have your fill of games. I wouldn't suggest this for home usage though. 

"good connection" That's the tricky part. 

7 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

I thought this was a subscription service not pay as you go.

According to ExtremeTech,

"GeForce Now will support game uploads from services like Steam and Origin. Your games live in the Nvidia cloud and run on servers using either a GTX 1060 or GTX 1080. Each minute you play the games you’ve uploaded on these systems costs you a certain number of credits. It’s two credits per minute for a GTX 1060 and four credits per minute if you want a more powerful GTX 1080 system. A block of 2,500 credits will run you $25. That means a almost 21 hours of gameplay on a GTX 1060 and about ten and a half hours on a GTX 1080."

I don't really think this will become a thing, IMO it's just too expensive.

Does this use the CPU at all? 

Also at first glance this sounds like something that'll be very limited on your latency. Seems like it'll have to wait for your input then processes it, and send you a frame. which can take quite a while to do so I feel like frames will be very choppy.

5 hours ago, Deli said:

According to ExtremeTech,

"GeForce Now will support game uploads from services like Steam and Origin. Your games live in the Nvidia cloud and run on servers using either a GTX 1060 or GTX 1080. Each minute you play the games you’ve uploaded on these systems costs you a certain number of credits. It’s two credits per minute for a GTX 1060 and four credits per minute if you want a more powerful GTX 1080 system. A block of 2,500 credits will run you $25. That means a almost 21 hours of gameplay on a GTX 1060 and about ten and a half hours on a GTX 1080."

Yea so it's not a subscription at all. Op should change the title.

I think very few people will be able to use this service based on bandwidth alone. Then you have the pricing to consider. It really doesn't take that many hours of play using this service for it to be more worthwhile just purchasing the card instead:

GTX 1060 - 240 hours (160 if it's a 3GB card)

GTX 1080- 280 hours (Founders Edition)

Given that the average life cycle for an Nvidia card is about 18 months it means that you'd have to play for less than 3 hours per week for it to be at all worth it compared to buying the card outright.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

6 hours ago, Wolther said:

Does this use the CPU at all? 

The end device would be effectively playing back video and audio.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

48 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The end device would be effectively playing back video and audio.

So if it's just like a video then Nvidia is also giving you CPU power aswell? Since the GPU only does graphical calculations while the CPU needs to do the other tasks. Since it's just like a video I don't see how Nvidia could do that without also giving you CPU performance.

2 hours ago, Carclis said:

I think very few people will be able to use this service based on bandwidth alone. Then you have the pricing to consider. It really doesn't take that many hours of play using this service for it to be more worthwhile just purchasing the card instead:

Given that the average life cycle for an Nvidia card is about 18 months it means that you'd have to play for less than 3 hours per week for it to be at all worth it compared to buying the card outright.

Well yeah, Nvidia knows this, and that's why they're doing it. It's a way for them to make at least twice as much money out of their customers.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 hour ago, Wolther said:

So if it's just like a video then Nvidia is also giving you CPU power aswell? Since the GPU only does graphical calculations while the CPU needs to do the other tasks. Since it's just like a video I don't see how Nvidia could do that without also giving you CPU performance.

The 1060 or 1080 GPU options are only for upgrading or downgrading the graphic quality of the game. If you want to play on a 1080p screen. go for the 1060, if you want more than 1080p, like in a retina MacbookPro, or 1440p, go for the 1080 (if you have the internet for that).

Think about it like Netflix, where you can pay for a SD service or an HD one. You don't need to know how it is done. 

22 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Well yeah, Nvidia knows this, and that's why they're doing it. It's a way for them to make at least twice as much money out of their customers.

I think that this service includes games.... If you had access to a large library of games and you never needed to buy one then sure it would be worth it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, Carclis said:

Given that the average life cycle for an Nvidia card is about 18 months

Are you high? People don't buy GPUs and keep them for 1.5 years!!!!

I've had my 770 since mid 2014 (almost 3 years).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),