Australian ISP block of pirate sites bypassed seconds after going live.

killcomic

A federal judge has ordered ISPs to block pirate sites like The Pirate Bay and other torrent sites.

As ISPs moved to block the offending sites, their efforts have been thwarted within seconds as users were able to simply bypass the block by changing their DNS settings to Google's or OpenDNS.

The court has ruled that the blocking of sites is only required if requested by copyright holders (after paying a fee) and the method of blocking is left to the ISP's discretion.

Even if a stronger form of blocking were to be implemented, a number of experts have said in its current form in Australia, site blocking is a futile exercise.

Australian courts have always ruled against holding individuals responsible for pirating software or movies if for personal use, placing the onus on the ISP instead and even blocking Voltage Pictures' request to obtain the personal details of pirates as the court stated that the damages Voltage was seeking were excessive and ruled that at most pirates should only be charged the price of a digital download. 

Source (News.com.au): http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/piracy/internet-users-bypass-pirate-bay-block-instantly/news-story/a9a4b3e09b86b9f3f6aba798250b5288

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

to Australian government and MPAA 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

to Australian government and MPAA 

Welcome to Australia, where being a large, ultra rich corporation doesn't grant you special privileges.

Sucked in, mate!

2 minutes ago, killcomic said:

Welcome to Australia, where being a large, ultra rich corporation doesn't grant you special privileges.

Sucked in, mate!

I heard you guys need people living there. Give me just a day to get my stuff gathered.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Even if they managed to actually block it in Australia there is nothing preventing people from using a vpn thus circumnavigating any potential block

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

So copyright holders can ask for a website to be blocked? What if it isn't a piracy site but rather just a (maybe controversial) website that the copyright holder doesn't like? I'm thinking things like websites for fan games or anything that is technically legal but might be problematic for copyright holders

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Even if they managed ti actually block it in Australia there is nothing preventing people from using a vpn thus circumnavigating any potential block

Pretty much. I very much doubt the federal court has any interest to police piracy on behalf of foreign corporations. They have real court cases to deal with.

1 minute ago, Railgun said:

So copyright holders can ask for a website to be blocked? What if it isn't a piracy site but rather just a (maybe controversial) website that the copyright holder doesn't like? I'm thinking things like websites for fan games or anything that is technically legal but might be problematic for copyright holders

Then it won't get blocked. They won't blindly block a site because they were asked to do so and piss off their customers.

One copyright holder vs a million customers. Guess who's gonna win.

1 minute ago, killcomic said:

Then it won't get blocked. They won't blindly block a site because they were asked to do so and piss off their customers.

One copyright holder vs a million customers. Guess who's gonna win.

I was just wondering because there is plenty of drama on Youtube about retards who don't know what fair use is suing others over copyright infringement and it STILL ends up being a huge pain in the ass for the victims and sometimes doesn't even get resolved

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

Just now, Railgun said:

I was just wondering because there is plenty of drama on Youtube about retards who don't know what fair use is suing others over copyright infringement and it STILL ends up being a huge pain in the ass for the victims and sometimes doesn't even get resolved

Well YouTube is an American company. Things work differently in Australia. Different culture, you see.

18 minutes ago, Railgun said:

You tend not to 'sue' people in Australia

40 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I heard you guys need people living there. Give me just a day to get my stuff gathered.

Unfortunately the government has made it pretty tough for anyone to move here. Too many want to live here.

I would not be surprised if this simply leads to Australia implementing a great firewall, just like China and UK.

DNS blocking was just a stepping stone that nobody actually thought for a second would work.

To the retards who thought this would work: Guess what? Even on a shitty+locked down Telstra router, changing the DNS has completely removed the block. So go fuck right off the nearest cliff.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm amazed they didn't spend like 1mil $ to implement these changes, or did they  O.o

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I'm amazed they didn't spend like 1mil $ to implement these changes, or did they  O.o

It probably took then less then an hour to implement. And people including me less then 5 minutes to get around.

PMSL

20 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I would not be surprised if this simply leads to Australia implementing a great firewall, just like China and UK.

DNS blocking was just a stepping stone that nobody actually thought for a second would work.

Well, they tried and it failed. People here didn't put up with that shit.

If people oppose it, it tends not to get done here.

39 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Why would they? No ISP is interested in helping American studios sell a few more overpriced movies in Australia.

They did the bare minimum as required by the ruling.

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

the need people. But only australian people. Invasive species is not wanted.

Also as a man you may find issues with the customs regulations, as bringing in nuts, berries or seeds of foreign origin and not native to the australian fauna and flora is considered illegal.

35 minutes ago, Prysin said:

the need people. But only australian people. Invasive species is not wanted.

Also as a man you may find issues with the customs regulations, as bringing in nuts, berries or seeds of foreign origin and not native to the australian fauna and flora is considered illegal.

And if you bring over anything that could affect our bee's, you'll be effectively hung drawn and quartered (there is a reason Australia has the world's best Honey-its location+being a single country)

PMSL

Um, I can get to all of the sites without any changes of DNS or VPN. Maybe iiNet hasn't implimented the blocks yet - and I seem to remember a press release from them a while ago stating they wouldn't be blocking anything.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Just now, Serin said:

Um, I can get to all of the sites without any changes of DNS or VPN. Maybe iiNet hasn't implimented the blocks yet - and I seem to remember a press release from them a while ago stating they wouldn't be blocking anything.

Same here. I'm with iiNet too.

Knowing their history, they don't take crap from copyright holders at all.

1 minute ago, Serin said:

Telstra did it about 2 days ago now idk about other isp's though. I already had my DNS as Google's so I'm good anyway.