Use for 10uF capacitor

Clanscorpia

So I needed a 10pF capacitor and my dad bought a 10uF capacitor. What could I use it for? Can I use it in front of motors for a more even current? Thanks! 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

So I needed a 10pF capacitor and my dad bought a 10uF capacitor. What could I use it for? Can I use it in front of motors for a more even current? Thanks! 

You could use it for what you needed it for. That's the reason your dad bought one for you after all, right?

Just now, byalexandr said:

You could use it for what you needed it for. That's the reason your dad bought one for you after all, right?

No I had a specific project and I had a list because he was in the states. He read it wrong and bought it. I dont know what it can be used for so i was wondering if you guys knew

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

It will have an impedence so it will decrease current to whatever in front of it.

And if it is a dc motor it will cut off current to the motor.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

8 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Huge difference between 10pF and 10uF

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

10 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Huge difference between 10pF and 10uF

Ah, didn't see that. If I did then I wouldn't have made that comment.

What were you going to use the original value for? if its just for bypassing in a DIY project then no worries. If its for something like an RC circuit or a signal filter then we have a problem. I will be glad to help to the best of my abilities.

Cheers!

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

3 minutes ago, dany_boy said:

What were you going to use the original value for? if its just for bypassing in a DIY project then no worries. If its for something like an RC circuit or a signal filter then we have a problem. I will be glad to help to the best of my abilities.

Cheers!

Use the 10pF caps for? Im making an FM transmitter.

Spoiler

AXIOM

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Use the 10pF caps for? Im making an FM transmitter.

Right then, that sound like the cap you currently have will not work. I would have to look at the schematic though. Most circuits that deal with RF use caps as "Filters" which means that some frequencies get through while others get discarded. For such circuits, precise component values are very critical, so just wait to buy the right capacitor. Cheers

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

Just now, dany_boy said:

Right then, that sound like the cap you currently have will not work. I would have to look at the schematic though. Most circuits that deal with RF use caps as "Filters" which means that some frequencies get through while others get discarded. For such circuits, precise component values are very critical, so just wait to buy the right capacitor. Cheers

I know the 10uF one wont work. Im getting the 10pF caps tomorrow. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

I know the 10uF one wont work. Im getting the 10pF caps tomorrow. 

As for your original question, just save the extra components you dont use. I started that way and now have a huge stock of components. Later on when you start doing your own designs, it comes in handy so you dont have to buy anything for prototyping. Cheers

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Not even 1080p

2 minutes ago, dany_boy said:

As for your original question, just save the extra components you dont use. I started that way and now have a huge stock of components. Later on when you start doing your own designs, it comes in handy so you dont have to buy anything for prototyping. Cheers

Ok thanks! https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0ahUKEwjNpJXK5MzQAhVPHGMKHT9eBl8QFgg3MAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmakezine.com%2Fprojects%2Fsuper-simple-fm-transmitter%2F&usg=AFQjCNEo17Kay1hODgRg-uozicF9JiH7UA&sig2=hpUsGYvdqK8JlWuR1EZfgQ&bvm=bv.139782543,d.amc This is the project Im doing

Spoiler

AXIOM

I only have 1 10pF Capacitor and I need 2 for this project: http://makezine.com/projects/super-simple-fm-transmitter/ Could I replace 1 of the 10pF capacitors with a 30pF one? Thanks! 

Spoiler

AXIOM

Id dont know about this specifically but the last time i went to the home depot for capacitors(or maybe they were resistors)they were like 10 cents each so

My life

No, that's a difference of 3x

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I only have 1 10pF Capacitor and I need 2 for this project: http://makezine.com/projects/super-simple-fm-transmitter/ Could I replace 1 of the 10pF capacitors with a 30pF one? Thanks! 

Possibly one of the ones that lead to ground, If you want to get technical you can map out the circuit in pspice or ltspice and see if there is any signal distortion by doing so.

Digikey.com

mouser.com

These sell pretty much ANY electrical component you could ever want, usually a cap like that will be $.05 - $0.1

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, SLAYR said:

Possibly one of the ones that lead to ground, If you want to get technical you can map out the circuit in pspice or ltspice and see if there is any signal distortion by doing so.

Digikey.com

mouser.com

These sell pretty much ANY electrical component you could ever want, usually a cap like that will be $.05 - $0.1

Shipping is 8 bucks but Im planning on buying some other stuff from there.

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Id dont know about this specifically but the last time i went to the home depot for capacitors(or maybe they were resistors)they were like 10 cents each so

Our home depot doesnt have them

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

buy the right size cap, there less than a buck, but you can try it.

Again it will be the price + $8

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

Shipping is 8 bucks but Im planning on buying some other stuff from there.

Our home depot doesnt have them

Again it will be the price + $8

well try it then.

Not much use for a 10uF capacitor... could put it across the battery leads in a product you already have to get a very very tiny bit longer battery life (but the product would already have a bit of capacitance already on the circuit board so adding more capacitance would barely do anything. The capacitors on input help smooth sudden demands from the electronics in products making the battery happier (like suspension on a car).

Basically won't hurt but won't do anything good either.

On 11/30/2016 at 3:25 AM, Clanscorpia said:

3, 30pF caps in series=10pF