[TH] Intel Tightens Strangelhold, Brings 3D XPoint, Omni-Path And FPGAs Onto Latest CPUs

It's me!

Intel is bringing 3D XPoint on-die with its latest processors, which sounds cool, I am down for some on-die 3D XPoint action :thumb:

In the past, Krzanich has publicly outlined Intel's plan to leverage its 99.8% control of the data center CPU market as a beachhead to assault other segments; namely networking, memory, and storage. The company's revelations indicate that it is moving ahead with several initiatives that could bring key portions of these realms firmly under its control.

Intel's strategic machinations aren't secret, and several broad industry consortium's lined up this week to counter its moves. 

"...There will be a second generation of Purley that includes 3D XPoint," said Krzanich. "It allows pooling of memory, and then there will be future ones that will allow additional pooling of things like FPGA. So, each one of these now add some additional features across the rack that really helps in the overall system performance."

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-xeon-skylake-purley-3d-xpoint,32891.html

IMG_1654_w_755.jpg

I suppose this confirmation is news, but this has all been known for at least 18 months now. The Purley platform was outlined in early-mid 2015.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well, i think the fact that the entire industry is lining up against them is the real news. Ive been reading quite a bit about that, and sure enough, this shows exactly why everyone is worried. 

11 minutes ago, It's me! said:

Well, i think the fact that the entire industry is lining up against them is the real news. Ive been reading quite a bit about that, and sure enough, this shows exactly why everyone is worried. 

And yet, no one wants to talk about Intel doing this much innovation as a monopoly ;) It's like Standard Oil and the cheapest, highest quality oil all over again! :D

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Remind me what this means for us?

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

16 hours ago, kiska3 said:

Remind me what this means for us?

Well.... since the Xeon variants come to the desktop market as HET (the enthusiast) SKUs, it means you could see some of this tech on next-gen enthusiasts CPUs. I doubt FPGAs and Omni-Path would be useful, but on-die or on-package 3D XPoint will most certainly be in the equation. 

While it might be a while before we see an fpga on a main stream cpu. The benifits of having one means programs can change your hardware to be optimal for there code. Lots of performance gains. Sort of. Drawback fpgas are much slower frequency and code has to be designed for it. 

On 10/20/2016 at 0:14 PM, rockon5622 said:

for it. 

Yeah, I doubt we will see the FPGA portion of this come to HET chips, instead, it will likely only have the 3D Xpoint integration. 

this pic sums up the entire topic

3302295731_8bf4219fc7.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 10/19/2016 at 6:29 PM, patrickjp93 said:

And yet, no one wants to talk about Intel doing this much innovation as a monopoly ;) It's like Standard Oil and the cheapest, highest quality oil all over again! :D

Yeah, as far as monopolies go, Intel is welcome to stay. At least they are doing something.

On 20/10/2016 at 4:06 PM, It's me! said:

Well.... since the Xeon variants come to the desktop market as HET (the enthusiast) SKUs, it means you could see some of this tech on next-gen enthusiasts CPUs. I doubt FPGAs and Omni-Path would be useful, but on-die or on-package 3D XPoint will most certainly be in the equation. 

I'm not fully understanding this, does it mean they're doing away with cache and including 3dxp instead or is the plan to include 3dxp as a built in memory bank?  

I don't see how the latter would be useful for anybody. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm not fully understanding this, does it mean they're doing away with cache and including 3dxp instead or is the plan to include 3dxp as a built in memory bank?  

I don't see how the latter would be useful for anybody. 

No, the Purley platform only adds customization options for the Xeon line. Nothing is getting removed, especially cache.

On 22-10-2016 at 5:00 PM, NumLock21 said:

this pic sums up the entire topic

POWER!!!!!

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

MORE CORES , MORE HZ , MORE CORES , MORE HZ , MORE CORES , MORE HZ , MORE CORES , MORE HZ , MORE CORES , MORE HZ

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list