A rig for my lady, that she doesn't want....

ALXAndy

My wonderful lady and I celebrated our first anniversary about a month ago. We've had the most wonderful year and things are getting more and more exciting as the days pass. We just secured our first flat..

Any way, any true geek wants to build his lady a PC. Sadly my lady loves her laptop too much to want a desktop, and she's made it clear.. "I don't want a fucking desktop" comes to mind... So I begrudgingly laid off and didn't push it. However over the past couple of months she's been raking the Steam sales and buying all sorts of games she likes the look of (mostly medieval) and her laptop doesn't cut it. The final straw was Anna or something. She loves the look of the game but it's a slideshow on her laptop; something needed to be done.

I had some bad luck recently with a bad cable blowing up my PC. I was pretty certain it was the motherboard but couldn't be sure. I have since been testing hardware and it seems it was the motherboard for sure, but I've yet to test the PSU. I have a feeling it could be OK, so I need a bit of luck there.

Any way I will spec it up later but I figured we could play a game of Carnival. Usually at a Carnival you get some fat ass and the "Guess my weight" thing. They draw a winner at the end. I've made some of this really easy to guess, but there are several key parts missing.. Whoever comes the closest gets, erm, I dunno, nothing really but hey, it's all in good fun.

So instead of guess my weight, let's play a game of "Guess my hardware".

Note - the GPU, cooler, motherboard and memory are missing (the board is going back for replacement, the GPU is ordered as is the ram and cooler but won't be here until this week coming up.

DSC07478.jpg

So come on then, let's have some fun :)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

An ALX Alienware case and a Killer 2100 NIC, along with an AMD FX 8350.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

An ALX Alienware case and a Killer 2100 NIC, along with an AMD FX 8350.

Yup !. I should do a list of hardware but not mention the names really. I'm pretty crap at competitions as you probably noticed :D

Edit. There's two mech drives going in also, the SSD she's getting (lucky her) is in the pic :)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Yup !. I should do a list of hardware but not mention the names really. I'm pretty crap at competitions as you probably noticed :D

The funny thing is, I didn't look at your sig, where all of the parts lie :P

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

is..... is that an Alienware case ??

edit

got ninjad

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

The funny thing is, I didn't look at your sig, where all of the parts lie :P

Oh fuck. Well that sort of ruins it then. /sulks. Bollocks and bugger I was supposed to update that to my new rig ! :D

Ah well, so it's guess the GPU cooler and ram then. Those are not in my sig.

Why not this case?

X-Dreamer4-PK-1_500.jpg

At one point i was actually looking at that case for my daughter, but it is a very cheap and flimsy case :( other then the build quality of the Case it is perfect for a women. It's just sad that more companies don't make cases that are more attractive to women, it would make the PC community grow even larger if they did.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

If I built her a PC in that she would kick my ass so hard I would vomit my testicles.

If I built her a PC in that she would kick my ass so hard I would vomit my testicles.

LOL, I now the feeling, my wife likes the more aggressive looks of some cases, like the Coolermaster HAF series for an example.I just wish that, companies would be more rounded to both sexes.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

At one point i was actually looking at that case for my daughter, but it is a very cheap and flimsy case :( other then the build quality of the Case it is perfect for a women. It's just sad that more companies don't make cases that are more attractive to women, it would make the PC community grow even larger if they did.

Corsair makes custom painted 600Ts if you want one :) They can make a pink one if you would like one ;)

Just like this one: 

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

I like that alienware case, its quite cool.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I like that alienware case, its quite cool.

My lady had her eye on it from the moment I got it haha.

Quick update ! with ram prices being insane at the moment I was beginning to stress. Thankfully a mate came through and sold me a 2133mhz 4gb kit of Geil Extreme. It'll do for now..

I was going to use a pair of Radeon HD 4890s in my lady's rig, but, she bought me a Radeon Hd 7990 for my 40th Birthday so I gratefully handed over the 670s. The 7990 should arrive soon.

I will post a full spec list later, but, to make it hers completely I ordered a acrylic window for her to replace the orange one. This is it here, it's new and neons...

acylic.jpg

I now need to order some white LED strips. More to come !

Pink window modded and fitted.

NicUV.jpg

And now all of the hardware is packed ready for our house move.

• 2 weeks later...
Quick thanks list...

Craig - we owe this one to you mate.

Gary - for the cheaps cooler.

So I started off by unpacking some parts. We've just moved into our new flat.

DSC07495.jpg

And got out the motherboard.

DSC07497.jpg

And the CPU

DSC07498.jpg

Nekkid !

DSC07500.jpg

Kewlar !

DSC07501-1.jpg

DSC07502.jpg

Shiny.

DSC07505.jpg

In goes the CPU

DSC07508.jpg

Time for some TIM. I wanted something cheap. I was poking around the OCUK classifieds and saw some one selling some Cool labs Liquid Pro for £5 delivered. I was a bit worried about it given it sort of sets and ruins the warranty, but this rig is for my lady so will be staying as is.

DSC07519.jpg

One small blob, one big step for cooling.

DSC07510.jpg

And after a lot of trying to spread it with a Q tip...

DSC07511.jpg

The megabitch squashed my head ! the bitch !

DSC07514.jpg

Thanks for the memories.

DSC07515.jpg

In she goes.

DSC07516.jpg

And on with the fan.

DSC07517.jpg

The door bell goes, a gift from my lady..

DSC07520.jpg

The SSD.

DSC07521.jpg

The exhaust.

DSC07523.jpg

35 hernia causing kilos of case. I tested the power supply a couple of days back and it seems to be OK. Phew.

DSC07526.jpg

Time to remove the mask.

DSC07527.jpg

Bit more..

DSC07528.jpg

And done.

DSC07530.jpg

It's rocking the new plexi window I put in. It's UV reactive neon pink.

DSC07531.jpg

Duct fans.

DSC07532.jpg

IO

DSC07534.jpg

Uh O.

DSC07538.jpg

Interlude.. Basically the front panel header was not wired correctly for the board. This caused me a two hour pause and tons of stress. Basically the header is critical to the running of the case. If it's not wired correctly not only can you not turn the PC on, but nothing works as the HD LED is wired to the control board. In the end I had to get the manual for my old Asrock board, draw out a plan, figure out the colours (they're like an OEM car stereo, all weird and nonsensical) and then break them out and shrink wrap them before fitting them individually..

Back on with the build...

DSC07543.jpg

GPUs.

DSC07548.jpg

And done..

DSC07552.jpg

It..Is...Alive...

DSC07564-1.jpg

And time for some fun :D

bbcpuid.jpg

Sadly the Ninja isn't good enough to LinX at 4.4ghz, though the board was fine with it. In the end I settled for the obligatory 4.2ghz and temps remained in check :)

I did benchmark it but I can't get to the scores right now.. Will add them later. What I did finally get was 30 mins alone with my rig and managed to fit the GPU.

Nice! It's looks badass with the pink!

HAHA back to your first post, I haven't heard of "slideshow on her laptop" before! Hilarious!

Three things:

• That doll... creepy as hell! :o
  • Looks to be a pretty massive piece of a CPU cooler, neat!
  • I now feel a sudden urge to do a pink-ish build... dammit! :lol:

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Nice! It's looks badass with the pink!

HAHA back to your first post, I haven't heard of "slideshow on her laptop" before! Hilarious!

She's got an Asus G73 ROG laptop now :D thing is lovely but man, it's hooj :D ...

Thanks AW ! yeah the doll isn't something I would want in my bedroom, it kinda gives me the creeps sometimes but man, it's cool :D It's my 1 of 500 living dead doll hahaha.

I got the cooler on the cheap too but it's not as good as it looks sadly. 

All I have left to do now is basically to fit a black light cathode to make that pink sing :D

Damn man, that rig is so sweet! That enormous Alienware case... I guess size does really matter :D.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

her laptop doesn't cut it. The final straw was Anna

Oh yes, mother of all unoptimized games, made with Unity and using double sided meshes and high poly mountains 50km away in the distance. Nicely done, by the way!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Okay, let me get this straight. Your "lady" can get a gaming PC just like that, when she doesn't even want a "fucking desktop"? And I gotta save up for years and sell shit to get one? I've been waiting for sooooooo long now, and I still gotta wait until christmas. This sucks.

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

I have that MB. Also where the hell did you find a killer 2100 their no longer made. I ask because well mine doesnt work properly anytime the pc goes into an idle state it doesnt let it come out.

I have that MB. Also where the hell did you find a killer 2100 their no longer made. I ask because well mine doesnt work properly anytime the pc goes into an idle state it doesnt let it come out.

I got the 2100 from a second hand classifieds forum for £20. I really like the firewall.

Sadly it doesn't fit in my lady's rig, and my Crosshair V Formula Z won't detect it as there seems to be an issue with the bios I'm running. I also can't disable the Intel one the CHV has.

I think Asus boards have issues with the Killer tbh. I had no issues whatsoever using an Asrock board with it.

Guys - thanks for all the comments ! it's also going to be used to push 3d into our new TV that we got uber cheaps.