Joule Sous Vide Review

I was waiting for this Sous Vide video to come out since the tech-quickie episode came out, and Luke hinted on it! Best of both Worlds for me! But is this the same joulie who make the coffee beans? https://www.joulies.com/

40 minutes ago, iPolymer said:

I was waiting for this Sous Vide video to come out since the tech-quickie episode came out, and Luke hinted on it! Best of both Worlds for me! But is this the same joulie who make the coffee beans? https://www.joulies.com/

Nope this is Joule, not Joulie

2 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Nope this is Joule, not Joulie

Different companies I'm assuming? Because that naming scheme is hella confusing.

COMIC SANS

2 minutes ago, TopWargamer said:

Different companies I'm assuming? Because that naming scheme is hella confusing.

Yes, different companies (as far as I know). One has an "i", the other doesn't :P

6 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Yes, different companies (as far as I know). One has an "i", the other doesn't :P

That's super dumb. Make an original name, for reals.

88b0d952f2.gif

COMIC SANS

Oh, actually interested in buying one, but I'll wait for it to get in stock...the Joule one is 6-8weeks to ship...

Nice video though, I honestly had no idea these existed (Well, outside of the commercial ones)

19 minutes ago, TopWargamer said:

That's super dumb. Make an original name, for reals.

88b0d952f2.gif

the naming comes from the SI unit for a unit of work or energy 

Is it just me, or am I getting a Deja vu moment with this video. Didn't luke review another cooking product a while ago? Possibly back at the old office? Not sure tbh.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Did anyone else pick up on a subtle Portal / Aperture Science reference in the opening, or was it just me?

cook like gaben , wait 3 years for your pizza to be ready

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

This is just something that nags me. The same people that goes like "Don't preorder games!" have absolutely no problems pre-ordering expensive hardware and even encourages other people to do so.

39 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

cook like gaben , wait 3 years for your pizza to be ready

Impossible. You either wait 2 or 4 years. Gaben doesn't know this weird in between number you speak of.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Impossible. You either wait 2 or 4 years. Gaben doesn't know this weird in between number you speak of.

IM A FOOL for thinking that , you are right 

[recipe] 3eggs

[gaben] 1......2......*sweats*

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

This looks to me like a slightly modified (so you won't see the heat coil at the bottom) and more powerful, rebranded Anova Precision Cooker, which is available for $149: https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-PCB-120US-K1-Bluetooth-Precision/dp/B00UKPBXM4?th=1

The Anova model is specified at only 800 watts... from joule's site I gather the heating element is 1100 watts, which may make the product a bit faster at heating the water from cold but afterwards it shouldn't be noticeably different than the 800w model

What with the youtube negativity because it isn't a computer video? 

Does this spend less power than an average stove or oven at the same time usage?

Well you think about it, it takes 20-30 minutes to heat the water to the desired temperature , then you put what you want to cook inside and keep it at that temperature for a period of time.

You know the heater element uses 1100 watts (1.1kWh) so you can sum up the time it takes to cook something from start to finish and you know the price of 1kWh but you can't really do it as simple as this, as the cooker will tun on and off the heating element to keep the temperature of the water at a precise temperature point so it's not constantly using 1100 watts. Best to use a kill-a-watt power meter sort of product which can log power consumption over time. With a stove or an oven that uses the same amount of energy all the time, it's easier to estimate.

Anyway,  you can compare now with other electric stoves or ovens (multiply power drawn from the mains with the amount of time to get kWh of energy consumed to cook the food)

https://www.chefsteps.com/joule?utm_source=YouTube&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=linus_tech_tips

Why does the link to the manufacturer's website have a referral part in it? I understand LMG gets sent the product for free in order to review it and that you place referral links in amazon links since they are a "middle-man" but does LMG get a kickback for any part of buying it off Joule's website?

If I have solved your issue, please mark the thread as solved! Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Whotos said:

https://www.chefsteps.com/joule?utm_source=YouTube&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=linus_tech_tips

Why does the link to the manufacturer's website have a referral part in it? I understand LMG gets sent the product for free in order to review it and that you place referral links in amazon links since they are a "middle-man" but does LMG get a kickback for any part of buying it off Joule's website?

No, we do not receive a kickback for purchases through the link. The brand requested that we add the link to the description, so we obliged, but there is no past, present, or future payment from Joule to our company for this review.

20 minutes ago, Whotos said:

Probably just a tracking link to see how many people buy stuff based on reviews.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I love the LTT crew but my god are the younger fans a bunch of millennial reddit circle jerk douchebags. 

The unit (and the video review of it), are solid, but it's a unitasker. It's good for one thing and one thing only. It seems that a lot of hipster scum are jumping of the fad bandwagon of sous vide and posting vile comments on youtube to anyone who disagrees with them. If you like sous vide, fine, just understand that it's uses are limited and not always practical, and should be one of MANY cooking skills needed to be a real adult in the real world.

Unfortunately, I see this niche cooker, for a niche cooking method ending up at garage sales and flea markets sitting right next to the george foreman grill. The money is better spent investing in cast iron, trust me.

Omegesh. Gaben's resume be like

-Worked at microsoft

-Made valve

-Has a knife collection

-Invested in cooking stuff

So random much like the internet