is ubiquiti any good?

DominicNikon

are ubiquiti routers and access points any good? also whats the price of them? or am i just better off with netgear 

2 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

are ubiquiti routers and access points any good? also whats the price of them? or am i just better off with netgear 

They are like 100$, excellent for the price. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, jeonjaeng said:

They run pretty damn well, i have had mine for about 3 years now and its running pretty strong

better then net gear you think?

Just now, bgibbz said:

They are like 100$, excellent for the price. 

$100? what makes them so cheap? a netgear router is like $350

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

There just a router and don't have a access point built in.

so ubiquiti is just a router when netgear is both?

Ubiquiti are excellent. Their routers and access points can range from around $100 to closer to $1000. 

1 minute ago, DominicNikon said:

Depends what you're comparing and what your use case is. It's not as simple as one being better than the other. 

3 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Ubiquiti's routers are pretty much just that. They don't have an access point built in like the vast majority of NetGear's routers. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Ubiquiti are excellent. Their routers and access points can range from around $100 to closer to $1000. 

Depends what you're comparing and what your use case is. It's not as simple as one being better than the other. 

Ubiquiti's routers are pretty much just that. They don't have an access point built in like the vast majority of NetGear's routers. 

so at my house we have one netgear nighthawk tri band and were moving into a new house that does not have ethernet built in and it costs to much to get it wired so were going wireless and we need a few more access points and i see linus using ubiquiti 

does ubiquiti make access points?

Yes. It's one of their most popular products. They have various levels for the APs, from entry level to enterprise

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yes. It's one of their most popular products. They have various levels for the APs, from entry level to enterprise

what do you think in my case?  so at my house we have one netgear nighthawk tri band and were moving into a new house that does not have ethernet built in and it costs to much to get it wired so were going wireless and we need a few more access points and i see linus using ubiquiti

does ubiquiti make access points?

Yep.

If you r a normal user, just get a basic router.

If you want to mess with WPA2 enterprise, use vlans, and other things like that go ubiquity.

so at my house we have one netgear nighthawk tri band and were moving into a new house that does not have ethernet built in and it costs to much to get it wired so were going wireless and we need a few more access points and i see linus using ubiquiti 

Wiring up ethernet is pretty cheap unless you're getting it run through the walls. It's easy as well if you're running the cables outside the house. 

Bear in mind with access points you're still going to need to run cables to the access points in order to connect them. If you need more than 100Mbps through wireless, it's best to go with their AP Pro version as the basic ones only use 10/100 ethernet ports. 

They are amazing. The only dowside is the price, seeing as some of their stuff can get expensive

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Wiring up ethernet is pretty cheap unless you're getting it run through the walls. It's easy as well if you're running the cables outside the house. 

Bear in mind with access points you're still going to need to run cables to the access points in order to connect them. If you need more than 100Mbps through wireless, it's best to go with their AP Pro version as the basic ones only use 10/100 ethernet ports. 

the cable would need to be runned in alot of walls. also do the access points need to be connected with ethernet and how do you get power to it? 

Just now, DominicNikon said:

the cable would need to be runned in alot of walls. also do the access points need to be connected with ethernet and how do you get power to it? 

Yes, they need to be connected via ethernet. Ubiquiti's APs use PoE (power over ethernet), so you can just run an ethernet cable if you have a PoE switch. If not, they come with a PoE adaptor that plugs into a power outlet, then one ethernet cable goes into the adaptor from your network and another goes to the AP, providing power. 

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yes, they need to be connected via ethernet. Ubiquiti's APs use PoE (power over ethernet), so you can just run an ethernet cable if you have a PoE switch. If not, they come with a PoE adaptor that plugs into a power outlet, then one ethernet cable goes into the adaptor from your network and another goes to the AP, providing power. 

what do you think of this?

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-High-performance-AC3000-Tri-band-System/dp/B01K4CZOBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475611555&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear%2Borbi&th=1

Never heard of it before, so can't really say much about it. Seems pretty pricey to me. 

Never heard of it before, so can't really say much about it. Seems pretty pricey to me. 

its new so maybe thats why? do you think it will work?

Just now, DominicNikon said:

its new so maybe thats why? do you think it will work?

Seems like a waste to me. It will replace your Netgear Nighthawk as its a router and essentially a wireless repeater. 

Seems like a waste to me. It will replace your Netgear Nighthawk as its a router and essentially a wireless repeater. 

i would return my nighthawk for it 

2 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

By far.

2 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

Because UBNT isn't a huge company focusing on profits.

I can personally vouch for UBNT. Their products are rock solid. But like @Electronics Wizardy stated, you might want to just stick with consumer gear unless you know what you are doing.

My native language is C++

3 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

• Their equipment is okay - it's pretty good for the price but still leaves a lot to be desired. If you know Vyatta CLI then you can do most things but there is still quite a bit missing from the GUI on the EdgeRouter. 
  • UniFi's router GUI is a complete joke as far as features go. You should not buy a UniFi gateway.
  • UniFi AP's are decent for home/SOHO use however they don't have anything great in the way of enterprise features. 

Keep in mind I've got about 3 years of experience selling, installing and configuring UniFi and EdgeMax devices.