What would be a good time to upgrade

DAnewguy

I got i7 6700k and gtx 1070 what do you think is a reasonable time to wait like for the 1470 or 1570 idk btw don't think it will be a 1470 and 1570

Wait until we actually know what's coming out.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, DAnewguy said:

I got i7 6700k and gtx 1070 what do you think is a reasonable time to wait like for the 1470 or 1570 idk btw don't think it will be a 1470 and 1570

The 1070 is going to be obsolete sooner than that. It's a currently powerful but not futureproof card. Their next line is supposed to be the 20 series anyway I think, so 2070, 3070, etc.

With graphics cards if you're playing AAA titles, you should generally need to upgrade every other generation or so.  Nvidia comes out with a new generation every year or so.  So you should upgrade the GPU every 2 years or so.  The 1470 or 1570 will come out in roughly 5 years.

When you have money

2 hours ago, DAnewguy said:

That should be fine for about 3 years or so.  I have had my build with and i5 and 970 for almost 2 years now and it is still going strong.

I don't know if this will help but I just got rid of my HD7950 this summer and got a 1070. The 7950 lasted me quite a while about 3 years but since I'm worried about getting good FPS in a game that I really wanna get (Witcher 3), I sold it to a friend and got me the 1070. Now, I went to my friend's and saw him playing TW3 in mostly medium settings at quite good FPS. Some dips but really not so bad. If I had known this earlier, I could've waited but hell I have money to burn anyway. Now what's really unsettling is that the RX 480 gets good performance on DX12 and somewhat catches up on the performance of the 1070 in Deus Ex MD. So I'm on the look out if Vega comes along and I may sell the 1070 and get it instead. IMHO, AMD lasted me quite a while and since their architecture is more forward thinking than NVIDIA it might make sense just to get an AMD card once DX12 settles.

It really depends on how much you're willing to compromise:

1) If you want to maintain near max settings on AAA games, it should be as @luke1042 said each 2 years roughly

2) If you are willing to compromise somewhat (Meaning that you're willing to drop to High settings, perhaps even a medium setting on shadow or crappier AA here and there) then I'd say you're good for 3 to 4 years.

3) If you really want to squeeze all you can out of the card, then you can easily last, as you said, until 4 generations into the future or roughly 6 to 8 years but by that point you'll probably be playing everything on low to medium settings and 1080p then will be like playing 720p today really shitty.

But I've used cards for 6 years straight without issues. Beyond that you'll probably have to reapply thermal paste or you might have dead fans anyway so at that point yeah there's no way around a new GPU but you could potentially use it for like 5 years.Though for me 3 years or so seems like a good compromise.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

1) If you want to maintain near max settings on AAA games, it should be as @luke1042 said each 2 years roughly

2) If you are willing to compromise somewhat (Meaning that you're willing to drop to High settings, perhaps even a medium setting on shadow or crappier AA here and there) then I'd say you're good for 3 to 4 years.

3) If you really want to squeeze all you can out of the card, then you can easily last, as you said, until 4 generations into the future or roughly 6 to 8 years but by that point you'll probably be playing everything on low to medium settings and 1080p then will be like playing 720p today really shitty.

But I've used cards for 6 years straight without issues. Beyond that you'll probably have to reapply thermal paste or you might have dead fans anyway so at that point yeah there's no way around a new GPU but you could potentially use it for like 5 years.Though for me 3 years or so seems like a good compromise.

I mean yeah but I'm not from a richer family and normally want to squeeze all out of something especially from this pc but I mean I only need to buy a new mb Cpu gpu

perhaps cooler and storage 

Just now, DAnewguy said:

I mean yeah but I'm not from a richer family and normally want to squeeze all out of something especially from this pc but I mean I only need to buy a new mb Cpu gpu

perhaps cooler and storage 

Your current specs should last even longer than the GPU you have. If anything you could throw in more ram in 2 or 3 years from now and more/faster storage but that's about it really.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I guess I'd put myself at least in category 3, possibly in 4 (which you didn't mention).  That would be, like, being willing to play <$10 titles at 144p or 240p, low settings, 8-12fps.  Of course with performance like that I'd be avoiding face-to-face combat, like in CS:GO.  I remember playing Team Fortress Classic in the first year or two after it came out with not much better than that, and I mostly played as an engineer, letting my sentry gun do the work of killing incoming players coming for my flag.

How long do you think cards (that started out as a high-end card, like one that today could play the latest AAA titles at 144+fps ultra on three of the upcoming Asus 4K 144Hz monitors without needing SLI) would last, until you had to turn down the settings / expectations, like I described last paragraph? :)

I myself am looking at upgrading the GPU in my desktop - or, I guess I should say, GETTING a GPU. :) (Currently using the i7-4790K's integrated graphics.)  I was thinking of getting the 1070, but now I'm looking at getting a much lower priced one to hold me over for a few years (at 1080p high 60fps at first, cause that's what my monitor does) until I can get something in the $300 range that can still do 4K 60+fps ultra in games released a few years later.

I'm debating between an older cheaper card, like a 460, 580, 670 or something (that's more power hungry), vs maybe a 1050 when it's announced, for a bit more, but saving $ on the power bill (~25-30¢/kWh here) over time.  I've been doing some research, but there's still some things I need to figure out for sure before I make my purchase decision.  (There is an EVGA 670 FTW on CL nearby for $80... although for a couple-year holdover card I was hoping to keep it below $50 or so for a used card, so long as it's not like a 200+ watt card.)

Also I think @AwesomeAustin226 posted an excellent video.  I'd consider myself one that would do things in moderation, make things last, etc.  I'm definitely not in the category of people who may have been like "OMG the i5-4690K is out, must sell my i5-4670K & buy the new one!!" :P