Theory on why MacBooks are the go-to laptop for college students

AustinTheIntern

O, and I have windows 7 on it, no OSX what so ever ;)

Bootcamp?

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

So it's going to be a HasE build? Something like a 5930K and 16-32GB DDR4? Nevertheless, good luck! And a custom loop?

Yep. I never updated the part list after I decided for a 4930K. We'll have to see benchmarks of the upcoming Haswell-E.

If 8-Core processor is only on the X I MAY get it. Huge maybe. Since DDR4 is believed to be single stick high capacity, I night have 2x32GB. Again, depends on the expensiveness for DDR4. I expect it to be really high since it's new. Hopefully Platinums will be in DDR4. 

Complete custom loop. 480 top. 480 bottom. 240 bottom. Maxwell cards with waterblocks + backplates.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

you turn them on and they work

also status symbol

| 3570k @ 4.5 | swiftech h220 ordered after patent issues | EVGA 660ti SC 3gb | 8gb gskill ripjaws | Asus p8z77-v lx | Corsair Ax 750 | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair C70 white | CM quickfire rapid mx browns | G500 | 

Oh please, the go to for college students? Tell that to me and the rest of my colleagues that are in either software engineering or computer science. The average computers we work on are either high end windows laptops that could blow any macbook out of the water or high power workstation desktops with dual 24" monitors. You ask us to get our work done on a macbook and we will laugh you out of the room. I think we get the fact that a computer is a tool and not some fashion accessory to take to starbucks and have contests on who can load facebook faster.

ITT: Windows fanboys.

Oh please, the go to for college students? Tell that to me and the rest of my colleagues that are in either software engineering or computer science. The average computers we work on are either high end windows laptops that could blow any macbook out of the water or high power workstation desktops with dual 24" monitors. You ask us to get our work done on a macbook and we will laugh you out of the room. I think we get the fact that a computer is a tool and not some fashion accessory to take to starbucks and have contests on who can load facebook faster.

It's funny you say Soft.Engg / CS all use Windows. We all work on Linux based computers, Cent OS to be specific. I use Mint at home myself though.

Because:

1. They're pretty.

2. Common (dumb) people think they're better, safer and faster.

3. They indicate financial status.

4. They're thin?

That is it... All the other reasons people gave you are bs.

Pretty is a matter of taste i cant stand the site of mac's xD

got windows and linux here over 2 desktops

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

you get to look souper edgi m8 B) B)  B)
that's really it, it's what everyone uses, assimilation is all, that and apple is still a thing

For my fiance, it's because they are easy to use, and you don't have to worry about viruses. For non-gamers and non-techy people, that ease of mind is worth the price.

simple answer and steve jobs put it simply: "a user should be able to pick up a new thing and know how to use it fully after just a few minutes." to be honest, after watching my parents use apple product it couldnt be any more of a real factor. they are intuitive, and they are quality build giving the user an excellent experience straight from the box. all the devices work well together and it couldnt be a more seamless function. theres no reason really to hate on apple. ultimately its the users decision to choose which platform they prefer. what makes you think your idea is any more logical than theirs. if the user isnt technologically intuitive than why wouldnt it make be a excellent choice for them to be a apple user. your decisions is yours and their decision is their keep it that way. 

I have a 2009 macbook pro, an Iphone 5, just switched to an HTC one, an ipad, and ive had my desktop pc for about 10 months now. I have used all platforms for a good amount of time and I feel im well in my realm of things to say that each platform has its advantages but no platform out does the other. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Sorry but you guys keep saying its the best built laptop... so thats what apple tells you. I think the razer blade looks better and performs better. I wouldn't buy either personally because laptops have limited expand-ability and are more expensive for the performance you get. I see having an ipad, iphone, or mac product as more of a status symbol than anything. Yes they are great for designing and music production, but its the software that makes that good, not the hardware. They are selling laptops with dual cores for $1500 bucks.... and that only has a 750gb hdd in it.... come on lol. 

Archangel(z11 Build) CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.0 GPU: 2x Sapphire R9 290x RAM: 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V 2800 Mobo: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/AC Power Supply: Cougar CMX1000 Case: Zalman Z11 Plus HF1 Storage: 120GB Intel 520 SSD, 1TB WD Blue

Reptile(Dual G34) CPU: 2x Opteron 6172 RAM: 32GB DDR3 1866 ECC Mobo: Super Micro H8DGU-F Power Supply: Seasonic SS-660XP2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7k300 3TB

White Knight:(wife's build) CPU: A10-6800k GPU: MSI 7970 Lightning GHz BE RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury White 1866 Mobo: MSI A88x-g43 Power Supply: Seasonic M12II 520 Case: TT Commander Snow Edition Storage:1TB WD Blue

1) Build quality

2) It "just works"

3) Battery life

4) Great support

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

ITT: Windows fanboys.

It's funny you say Soft.Engg / CS all use Windows. We all work on Linux based computers, Cent OS to be specific. I use Mint at home myself though.

Linux is not really are primary OS for alot of the work we tend to do, we see it as something to be used with servers. Sure a few of us in my section (including myself (mint if you are curious))) have a partition for linux, however it causes a lot of problems for us because of how our college's infrastructure is set up, you have to jump through more hoops in our case, so its hard to justify using it. I can use either or to great effect how more often I find myself using windows.

Sorry but you guys keep saying its the best built laptop... so thats what apple tells you. I think the razer blade looks better and performs better. I wouldn't buy either personally because laptops have limited expand-ability and are more expensive for the performance you get. I see having an ipad, iphone, or mac product as more of a status symbol than anything. Yes they are great for designing and music production, but its the software that makes that good, not the hardware. They are selling laptops with dual cores for $1500 bucks.... and that only has a 750gb hdd in it.... come on lol. 

I see alot of people saying the build quality is awesome.......so is the build quality of Panasonic Toughbooks, hell you can run over them with a car and they will shrug it off. I find with macbooks in particular their cooling solutions are grossly inadequate as I have seen quite a few go into thermal shutdown when running an intensive workload.

I can't speak for college students (been too long since I've been one), but I can speak as to why Apple is my go to for laptops. Here are my reasons. Before anyone jumps on me for being an Apple fan-boy checkout the specs for my desktop in my sig.

• Aesthetics, they look very clean (Asus also has a good looking ultrabook)
  • Build quality, the internal engineering is amazing (if you haven't opened one up and looked inside you should)
  • Weight (Some other manufacturers are catching up)
  • Battery life (Some other manufacturers are catching up)
  • Screen quality (Some other manufacturers are catching up)
  • OS, for mobile computing I think OS X is the way to go (not necessarily for phones but for laptops), It works, I don't have to worry about 500 different programs to update
  • I use a laptop for work and viewing media while traveling, not gaming so I have no need for crazy horsepower in a laptop

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Bootcamp?

I mean the bootcamp drivers are installed to get like the backlight and apple buttons working, but the only OS on the machine is Windows 7.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Because they don't know any better.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

For the same price you get a beefy mGPU with a terrible screen and resolution. Razer Blade is well designed, I'll give it that. It, to me, is the gaming version of a Macbook. But people don't buy Macbooks to game.

And what laptop are you talking about that's $1500 with a 750GB HDD? Cheapest MBP + 750GB is $1300. A MBA can have an i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 12 hour battery life, and cost about $1600.  

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I see alot of people saying the build quality is awesome.......so is the build quality of Panasonic Toughbooks, hell you can run over them with a car and they will shrug it off. I find with macbooks in particular their cooling solutions are grossly inadequate as I have seen quite a few go into thermal shutdown when running an intensive workload.

thats why they put screws on the bottom. so you can remove the cover to clean out the cat hair :P

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Battery Life. They're fast due to optimisation. and they just work. plus amazing screens.

Two months ago I would of thought they were overpriced, but i started using the work on,e and honestly i prefer it. and I'm anti apple!

I feel conflicted :(

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Because they don't know any better.

I concur.

And I own a macbook. I regret it all the time. For the money I spent on it I could have gotten such a nicer windows based laptop.

I concur.

And I own a macbook. I regret it all the time. For the money I spent on it I could have gotten such a nicer windows based laptop.

I think it depends on your use case. The use case for mobile computing is often very different from desktop computing and so far Windows isn't doing a very good job at mobile in my opinion (they don't always do a good job on desktop either). If you are going to be gaming on a laptop (shudders) than a Mac isn't for you, if your only computer is a laptop than a Mac probably isn't for you. But if you already have a powerful desktop and you need something mobile for travel/work/etc than a Mac can be a good choice. I don't think the price to performance is right for their high end Macbook pros but for the air and the 13 inch mac book, the price to performance isn't bad.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

I believe the ones mentioned before are thinking too much.

Stop thinking like a tech geek, and think what a non tech savvy person thinks...

Whats the common stuff u hear among non-tech savvys?

1. "Macs dont get viruses"
2. "Macs are faster than all PCs" (major facepalm)

And another reason why people believe macs are better and get it for college?

HYPE(major reason), and "Because so many people do it, it must be good"

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Nice 'theories' guys, I read all of them! Very interesting on what you guys think haha..

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

because if  u don’t own a mac well then u don’t own a mac

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2