Theory on why MacBooks are the go-to laptop for college students

AustinTheIntern

I think it was because it used to be that they had to get a macbook for the build quality to be able to last through collage or university but nowadays there are things like the zenbook, aspire s7 or dell xps range. most of these are equaly or more powerfull than a macbook, are about the same build quality and most of them are cheaper than most macbooks depending on what config of these ultrabooks u go for. tada... no-one needs a macbook anymore.

Intel i5-3470 | MSI Twin Frozr IV GTX 770 | 64GB Kingston SATA 3 SSD | 1TB WD Black

How old is this? 20 years? 30 years?

Take a look at this piece of beauty:

mba-560x337.png

have a look at this goddess of a laptopAsus-UX31-Zenbook2.jpg

Intel i5-3470 | MSI Twin Frozr IV GTX 770 | 64GB Kingston SATA 3 SSD | 1TB WD Black

have a look at this goddess of a laptop

asus

meh ... there imho are/were better looking windows laptops ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

my school macbook costed 1000 euro and have a 256 mb GPU from nvidia and a Core 3 duo. i was paying for the emblem and the style not fot the preformence

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

my school macbook costed 1000 euro and have a 256 mb GPU from nvidia and a Core 3 duo. i was paying for the emblem and the style not fot the preformence

You can get performance in current-day MacBooks!

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

They are? Over here barely anyone has a mac.. Then again usually engineering students can read the specs on a computer.

It's funny you say that, When walking around one of the uni's here in Victoria, there seemed to be a divide between the social sciences and engineering sciences. Apple products all over education and welfare while dell, acer, toshiba etc around engineering. 

My theory is that the social science people understand how fashion works and the importance of image to professional credibility. While the engineers understand how computers work. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's funny you say that, When walking around one of the uni's here in Victoria, there seemed to be a divide between the social sciences and engineering sciences. Apple products all over education and welfare while dell, acer, toshiba etc around engineering. 

My theory is that the social science people understand how fashion works and the importance of image to professional credibility. While the engineers understand how computers work. 

Yeah I guess it depends on what class you walk into. I know in high school, if you walk into any room, the majority of the students will have iPhones.

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

Yeah I guess it depends on what class you walk into. I know in high school, if you walk into any room, the majority of the students will have iPhones.

Except in my school, where Android and Apple duke it out, but excluding phones and laptops, Apple owns my school.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Except in my school, where Android and Apple duke it out, but excluding phones and laptops, Apple owns my school.

Yeah thats what Im saying, a lot of students are leaning towards Apple products..

Because they are a recognizable brand and a status symbol. They are also pretty reliable and have good construction, battery, and a screen. Honestly though, the first reason is why 80% of college students get macbooks, many people don't care/know much about specs and such.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Most people get Macbooks because their friends have macbooks...

I was honestly somewhat surprised to see a lot of my fellow CS majors have macbooks...

Then again, most of them wiped it and put some distro on it...

I like Macs, I however could not justify the price markup on them...

I will stick with my cheap second hand laptop for school and my desktop for everything else.

Cause they are all hipsters.. 

Ok I think it's like this. 

One is popularity and connotation of apple as a brand. 

second is not everybody games

third is looks

fourth is OS preference

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

Its apple. Nuff said. if i could put win7 on without bootcamp and run it with a thunderbolt GPU and haswell, Cant forget that. I'd be set.

Buy all the planes! Im also bad at quoting!

Its apple. Nuff said. if i could put win7 on without bootcamp and run it with a thunderbolt GPU and haswell, Cant forget that. I'd be set.

Why would you do that?  You could get a cheap laptop and decent gaming pc for the same cost of the macbook,  because a macbook with an external GPU and screen is probably less portable than an ITX with screen..

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Why would you do that?  You could get a cheap laptop and decent gaming pc for the same cost of the macbook,  because a macbook with an external GPU and screen is probably less portable than an ITX with screen..

Beacasue i can, Well, if i had a job.

Buy all the planes! Im also bad at quoting!

It has goods and bads even for collage students. As a windows user I have used excel for the majority of my life and when getting a macbook i got a office package instead of apples alternative because i was more familiar to office packages. One problem I encountered was that the apple compatible version of excel was not at all good for data analysis compared to the stock windows office excel. As I moved up higher I new use SPSS for data analysis on my windows desktop but I can say that apple microsoft office is not a winodws microsoft office replacement.

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

For the same price you get a beefy mGPU with a terrible screen and resolution. Razer Blade is well designed, I'll give it that. It, to me, is the gaming version of a Macbook. But people don't buy Macbooks to game.

And what laptop are you talking about that's $1500 with a 750GB HDD? Cheapest MBP + 750GB is $1300. A MBA can have an i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 12 hour battery life, and cost about $

I see having an ipad, iphone, or mac product as more of a status symbol than anything. Yes they are great for designing and music production, but its the software that makes that good, not the hardware. 

I never said macbooks are for gaming. People buy macbooks because they look "cool" or for production environments, and as I said its the software that makes those good, not the hardware.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MD102LL/A&step=config btw here is the MBP with the 750 gb hdd for $1500. 

Archangel(z11 Build) CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.0 GPU: 2x Sapphire R9 290x RAM: 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V 2800 Mobo: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/AC Power Supply: Cougar CMX1000 Case: Zalman Z11 Plus HF1 Storage: 120GB Intel 520 SSD, 1TB WD Blue

Reptile(Dual G34) CPU: 2x Opteron 6172 RAM: 32GB DDR3 1866 ECC Mobo: Super Micro H8DGU-F Power Supply: Seasonic SS-660XP2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7k300 3TB

White Knight:(wife's build) CPU: A10-6800k GPU: MSI 7970 Lightning GHz BE RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury White 1866 Mobo: MSI A88x-g43 Power Supply: Seasonic M12II 520 Case: TT Commander Snow Edition Storage:1TB WD Blue

Just to add, I just bought a laptop with a quad core intel processor for $25 bucks the only thing wrong with it was it needed a new hard drive. I bought a 1tb WD scorpio black, and a 256gb ssd. so for about $250 bucks i have a baller ass laptop.

Archangel(z11 Build) CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.0 GPU: 2x Sapphire R9 290x RAM: 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V 2800 Mobo: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/AC Power Supply: Cougar CMX1000 Case: Zalman Z11 Plus HF1 Storage: 120GB Intel 520 SSD, 1TB WD Blue

Reptile(Dual G34) CPU: 2x Opteron 6172 RAM: 32GB DDR3 1866 ECC Mobo: Super Micro H8DGU-F Power Supply: Seasonic SS-660XP2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7k300 3TB

White Knight:(wife's build) CPU: A10-6800k GPU: MSI 7970 Lightning GHz BE RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury White 1866 Mobo: MSI A88x-g43 Power Supply: Seasonic M12II 520 Case: TT Commander Snow Edition Storage:1TB WD Blue

I see having an ipad, iphone, or mac product as more of a status symbol than anything. Yes they are great for designing and music production, but its the software that makes that good, not the hardware. 

I never said macbooks are for gaming. People buy macbooks because they look "cool" or for production environments, and as I said its the software that makes those good, not the hardware.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MD102LL/A&step=config btw here is the MBP with the 750 gb hdd for $1500. 

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MD101LL/A&step=config

$1,200. 750GB HDD is only $100 more.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

yes 

yes and it also has 4gb of ram vs the 8gb in the other one, an i5 vs an i7, and is still 1300. 

Because Macbooks are extremely well built.  They were the first CONSUMER laptop that wasn't built like crap and looked gorgeous (macbook pros/airs).

Also:

-great battery life

-BEST trackpad

-most comfortable keyboard

I'd say the older ThinkPad laptops have better keyboards.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

If you need a laptop for going to college, there is something even better than a Mac: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-13-l321x-mlk/pd

You get an SSD, best sound system ever with full control on bass, treble, surround etc., long battery life, 8GB of DRAM the lot.

yes 

yes and it also has 4gb of ram vs the 8gb in the other one, an i5 vs an i7, and is still 1300. 

We were talking about the cheapest MBP.

Cheapest.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

and what rel

We were talking about the cheapest MBP.

Cheapest.

and what relevance does this have to why people are buying macs. because I can say that people are NOT buying macs because they are cheap lol.