Why do people hate No Man's Sky so much?

Do you love or hate No Man's Sky?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Do you love or hate No Man's Sky?

• Love
    • Hate

Hmm... I think that it has a lot to do with how Sony handled the marketing for the game: they trumpeted how awesome the game was going to be far and wide and when the result wasn't the AAA game many had hoped it would be, many people were disappointed. Some might argue (and I with them) that this was an ambitious project for a 15-strong team and those among the disappointed ones should have managed their expectations in the first place.

As for the gameplay itself... Well, it's a survival game: we've already seen those and to be honest I have the feeling that the public is starting to grow tired of them, as it did with zombie games. Should No Man's Sky have been released two years ago, most people would've loved it because the genre wasn't overly-saturated yet. But in this day and age, NMS is just a flawed game with a few interesting concepts in a crowded market.

I think that it's some sort of "hyper-TES", where you start out all hyped-up about how awesome the game is, then after almost 50 hours you get tired of it and try to complete the main quest as quickly as possible so that you can claim you finished it.

The head dev. lying about a huge component of a $50 game probably has something to do with it. 

Heh. Even though people linked some of my screenshots here, I actually do hate the game. And that simply comes down to the fact that I don't like any of the game's core gameplay mechanics. Nothing is fleshed out enough to be fun. I don't get enjoyment out of "exploration" because there's no real reward or motivating factor for doing so. I felt like the game constantly nags you to refill all the bars just to give you the illusion that you have stuff to do, but it's the same on every planet. And to refill those bars, you have to point your laser at some things for a while. I just.... don't find any of it fun. I wish it were fun because I had very high hopes for the game. But it just seems like the shell of an unfinished game. A base for something in early access that's building towards something more interesting. 

Anywho, that's my $0.02.

I dislike it because it doesn't feel like what they set out to make it seem to be in their advertisements

58 minutes ago, jim2point0 said:

Heh. Even though people linked some of my screenshots here, I actually do hate the game. And that simply comes down to the fact that I don't like any of the game's core gameplay mechanics. Nothing is fleshed out enough to be fun. I don't get enjoyment out of "exploration" because there's no real reward or motivating factor for doing so. I felt like the game constantly nags you to refill all the bars just to give you the illusion that you have stuff to do, but it's the same on every planet. And to refill those bars, you have to point your laser at some things for a while. I just.... don't find any of it fun. I wish it were fun because I had very high hopes for the game. But it just seems like the shell of an unfinished game. A base for something in early access that's building towards something more interesting. 

Anywho, that's my $0.02.

Thats fine but no one can deny the game looks good!

Its more of a tech demo at this point, but the devs have said they are going to be adding loads more content, so lets see what happens in 6-12 months.

Linus is my fetish.

5 hours ago, Bhav said:

Its more of a tech demo at this point, but the devs have said they are going to be adding loads more content, so lets see what happens in 6-12 months.

It does, but after 10 hours in you start noticing that every planet is pretty much a pallette swap of the previous ones. And as it is, No Man's Sky is a very shallow experience. I hope the developers do add more content because otherwise their userbase is going to lose interest in it very quickly.

I would really like you know, a "Meh" or "Turnip" option in this vote.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Cooling: N/A  Motherboard: N/A  Ram: 32GB

HDD: 4TB RAID 1 Array (two 4TB)  PSU: N/A Case: N/A OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Something Something Logitech

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016 Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M40X Speakers: ??? Monitor: 2 x HP 22cwa  Phone: OnePlus 3T (T-Mobile Network)

It's not so much that its bad is that it's no where near what they promised. They promised a star citizen experience and gave us subnautica. 

- snip-

On 25/08/2016 at 3:00 AM, Bhav said:

I wouldnt say it looks good, the graphics are pretty mediocre, the environments are not very detailed

there are a few interesting design elements, and it has nice overall aesthetic but its not that impressive

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

5 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I wouldnt say it looks good, the graphics are pretty mediocre, the environments are not very detailed

there are a few interesting design elements, and it has nice overall aesthetic but its not that impressive

Mate, I have plenty of food at home and I'm never hungry therefore world hunger is not real/doesn't exist.. /s

Just now, atrash said:

Mate, I have plenty of food at home and I'm never hungry therefore world hunger doesn't exist.. /s

he said

"no one can deny it looks good " and to me, I dont think the graphics are that impressive, shit draw distance, low detail textures, repeated models etc

Therefore... I can deny it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

On 8/17/2016 at 1:39 PM, Gamessys said:

I didn't see it as a bait and switch because there was clear gameplay all over YouTube and websites for months that told people exactly what you could do in the game.

Just so we're clear, the clear gameplay videos and websites that said things were in the game just aren't in the game at all.

I didn't care about no man's sky then and don't care about it now but let's set the record straight.

Straight up lying to potential customers is a really bad move, even if it turns out to be a good game.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

If you didnt know, Steam have removed their 2 hour window for refunds on this game, and you can now refund it no matter how long you've played it.

I sent in a refund request because £39.99 was too much for the current content. But I will rebuy it once its at least half that price with more content.

Linus is my fetish.

I'm hopeful for it..

The game seems like it's in early access right now..
It can be a great game with the right support down the road.

Right now it's not something I'm super into, but I for sure don't hate it.
It's fun enough to spend an hour or two listening to music and destressing after work to it.

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

• 2 weeks later...

Biggest backbone I have ever seen in a game, just no content to fill in the vastness of exploration/travel.

Performance hits come from the vastness that the real-time generation of planet surfaces and star systems (more surfaces), kills CPUs (and GPUs).  When you try the 4x flight speed (mod) you apparently see the limits of the hardware/software dance.  You just fly by things before you can even have a chance to see them.

From devs to modders, there could still be a great game coming in the form of NMS.  Time will tell.

I think it was hyped so much that no matter how good the game was it wouldn't have lived up to peoples expectations, that being said I still think they could have made a better game then what they came out with. But overall I'm sure there are people who will love it

People in general don't being lied to. That's exactly what NMS did. A lot of the features advertised during E3 presentations, interviews, etc. were not a part of the final release. Add on top of that extremely immersion-breaking graphical glitches (pop in and rendering issues) and performance dips in a game that really sells on immersion, and you've got a recipe for well-justified disdain.