Jagged Shadows,Pop in,Low LOD and jagged aa

Message added by WkdPaul,

Please stay civil and respectful, any violations of the Community Standards will be met with appropriate sanctions against your account.

Hi guys,
I wonder....

Does any one of you have some older CRT monitor or TV, that you can try to hook it up to your system and see, if you are seeing this behaviour on such screen technology ? 

Honestly, I am starting to think, that this has nothing to do with PC hardware, electricity, software/drivers etc.... but its the problem, comming from the LCD screening technology wwe use these days. 

You know, nowadays flat panels are basically using the static pixel color transitioning to show stuff you can see. The problem here might be in the fact, that in nowadays 3D rendered applications, that became more and more complex with thousands of polygonal objects moving and reacting to even more complex lightning systems might simply suffer in the grey to black transitions causing micro ghosting/smearing. Thats why you getting answers from people, saying, thats just how games and rendering works. Some do not see it, or start seeing it later.
You know, usually, if you have perfectly still camera - picture, you dont see the issue happening, you start seeing it only when you start moving the camera (at least in my experience). Because under certain angles, the light and shading on the edges of geometry objects is changing rapidly and I only assume, that the static pixels in our monitors are just unable to react fast enough to make a clear image in this case. No matter how fancy, super fast response time and hz panel you have. Actually the larger the screen size, the higher the upscale resolutions and what not, is making this issue even worse.

Few days ago I hooked up a Playstation 3 to my LG 32inch, 144hz 1440p gaming monitor, to play Metal Gear Solid 4 (since I have always wanted to try that one and up to now, never got to it). The game runs in 1080p and this issue is just horribly visible on this monitor. Jagged edges, aliasing artefacts all over the game. Just the main menu screen (where Snake salutes in the graveyard with all the flowers around) looks like a total jagged, smeared blurry mess. 

Its just my theory that I came up after doing a lot of research and thinking about what could be the cause.... especially if people claim that they are starting seeing this on consoles, phones, TVs .... and what do these things have in common ? Flat panel screen technology... which is trying to move always for higher numbers in everything... resolution, refresh rate, response time, color range and clarity.

I watched a video from Digital Foundry a week ago, where they just for fun tried an old CRT Sony monitor on the game Control and they were praising how amazing the game looks and moves even on lower resolution. 

But among jagged edges bad anti aliasing there is a object pop ups in games too.

I have old TV and after my job I will test my PC on the old TV.

guys I actually fixed the issue yesterday but it didn't last long, it was an expensive solution that only lasted 20 minutes. I bought a new motherboard, new cpu and ram and a new ssd. I installed windows (the only drive installed in my pc was the new ssd) and then I played no man's sky for like 10 minutes, the game looked gorgeous, no jagged edges even at low settings, then I decide to mess around with the graphics settings and I set it to ultra, and right after that it started to look like shit again, jagged edges everywhere, I tried going back to the settings I was using before but didn't work, the problem came back and everything looks like shit again. I don't know if this helpful or no but I thought I should share it /: ( I only have the jagged edges problem though, I've never had pop up problems or anything like that)

21 minutes ago, twistos1 said:

guys I actually fixed the issue yesterday but it didn't last long, it was an expensive solution that only lasted 20 minutes. I bought a new motherboard, new cpu and ram and a new ssd. I installed windows (the only drive installed in my pc was the new ssd) and then I played no man's sky for like 10 minutes, the game looked gorgeous, no jagged edges even at low settings, then I decide to mess around with the graphics settings and I set it to ultra, and right after that it started to look like shit again, jagged edges everywhere, I tried going back to the settings I was using before but didn't work, the problem came back and everything looks like shit again. I don't know if this helpful or no but I thought I should share it /: ( I only had the jagged edges problem though, not pop up problems or anything like that)

Interessting this issue started for me after i installed a new SSD, atleast i first noticed it after i did that.

47 minutes ago, twistos1 said:

guys I actually fixed the issue yesterday but it didn't last long, it was an expensive solution that only lasted 20 minutes. I bought a new motherboard, new cpu and ram and a new ssd. I installed windows (the only drive installed in my pc was the new ssd) and then I played no man's sky for like 10 minutes, the game looked gorgeous, no jagged edges even at low settings, then I decide to mess around with the graphics settings and I set it to ultra, and right after that it started to look like shit again, jagged edges everywhere, I tried going back to the settings I was using before but didn't work, the problem came back and everything looks like shit again. I don't know if this helpful or no but I thought I should share it /: ( I only had the jagged edges problem though, not pop up problems or anything like that)

events confused.
interesting really.

1 hour ago, twistos1 said:

Did you record game footage without the problem?

1 hour ago, twistos1 said:

Can you borrow from someone HDD or SSD to install a windows just to see is the problem in the HDD/SSD?

I mean it seems that something is slowing down GPU so we have objects pop ups in the games and jagged edges.

Just now, DaoNayt said:

Did you record game footage without the problem?

No honestly I was just having fun, thinking that the issue was gone, I only played for like 10 minutes without jagged edges

Just now, Strider890 said:

Can you borrow from someone HDD or SSD to install a windows just to see is the problem in the HDD/SSD?

I mean it seems that something is slowing down GPU so we have objects pop ups in the games and jagged edges.

I don't think the problem is the hdd or ssd to be honest, my game was looking fine until I started to mess around with graphics settings in-game

Just now, YiGiT353 said:

That supports the NvAPI theory which was published earlier, can you provide some footage with the jaggy edges?

Also there was someone on Nvidia forums claiming that you need to reset the CMOS before replacing the motherboard or otherwise it will become corrupt again, did you do that?

what do you mean? I bought a new motherboard, why would I reset the cmos? No I just built my pc normally

I don't have no man's sky installed anymore, I only have far cry new dawn which it looks decent with TAA enabled, but once I set SMAA it looks fucking horrible, I can record a video of that if you want

Just now, YiGiT353 said:

Can you return or exchange the motherboard?

I could try but it would has to be probably next week

This is how far cry new dawn looks with SMAA enabled, I know that if I enable TAA it will look decent, but that's not the point. I'm sure that the game isn't supposed to look like this with SMAA, right......?

It sure looks terrible :(
And then AMD/Nvidia say this is normal...

Well, for new games, TXAA does the trick about the shimmering.But problem is, all those older games that dont support any TAA form and look terrible and at this point, unplayable. The other problem is, in some games, the other issues are even more problematic than shimmering. I should not be playing an AAA game looking at hyper low resolution shadows and shadow jaggies all the time even using ultra settings in shadows. We are in the year 2019. I could accept that in a game from 2010, but now? come on...

Far cry new dawn looks unplayable. I uninstalled it because of it. But i dont see people complaining about it anywhere... as i  said, we are going to endure all of this until gamers wake up and stop wasting ridiculous amounts of money on more "advanced" hardware, just because of the sake of it.

4 hours ago, twistos1 said:

guys I actually fixed the issue

No, you didnt. You wont be the first one who "thinks" the issue is fixed after buying another computer or switching a motherboard. I bought my last computer two months ago with a ryzen 2600x, brand new, and problems were still there, even more noticeable than in my older computer from 2013. Before i bought my new computer i was playing 6 games. Now i only play one of them because of this. But yes, the videogaming industry is doing great..

And btw guys, seriously? you are still debating if this is a problem of the ssd, gpu or whatever?? are you guys for real? why people cant even bother to read the trillions of pages since this thread was created, sigh...

Sorry for the extra post, i clicked on reply on my own post by mistake. And i dont know how to delete posts..

The scenery was so beautiful in The Long Dark. Now it looks like shit. All that flickering and vibrating jagged lines everywhere are disgusting. Take note that in-game it looks much much worse, YouTube just compress video and the problem becomes less visible (though still visible) :(

In this video it's only noticeable if you know what to look for. Youtube just softens it up, it's like a strong FXAA filter. That's one of the reasons why most people don't believe us.

11 hours ago, YiGiT353 said:

Some games have shitty anti-aliasing, I don't know anything about that specific game, but a small amount of aliasing in the background is present, I don't think that is abnormal, some users have it much, much worse than that...

It is much worse without YouTube compression.

I tried uploading to Vimeo but it also converts the video to a lower quality. You can still see the issue in this one tho:

43 minutes ago, DaoNayt said:

I tried uploading to Vimeo but it also converts the video to a lower quality. You can still see the issue in this one tho:

But this is normal in games there is no problem after all (sarcasam).

Because this problem I can't play ARMA 3.There is everywhere object pop ups and this shimmering edges.