PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

Suggestions for revision of Tier list.

Rosewill Quark 1000 - Tier 2 / 3

Silverstone SST-ST1000-P Tier 2 / 3

Pentium IV @ 4.4ghz , 8GB DDR2, R9 380 4GB, 2560x1440p monitor.

3 minutes ago, CAPCOM UK said:

Glad i made you angry.

So with that you need to separate the better designs in that series and place them in their correct tiers.

The Gold EVO is a Strider yet is placed in a separate Tier altogether, someone got lazy.

I'm not angry, just annoyed how someone can be so ignorant ;) 

Nope, as I've said, if corsair TX PSUs aren't on the list then why should a equally as old and also discontinued PSU be included in the list?

It's not the strider bit, you're commenting strictly on the strider plus PSUs where I brought you evidence to why it's listed as T4. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, CAPCOM UK said:

Suggestions for revision of Tier list.

Rosewill Quark 1000 - Tier 2 / 3

I'm ignorant? so the SST-ST1000-P can only power a GTX 950 and to be used in low end builds.

Nice logic and nice "non ignorance"

Here is what you said in gif format.

"Discontinued"&"no longer sold"&"new PSUs that are only mediocre with the exact same name" 

Not enough? 

The Quark is already tier 2 by the way ;) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

"Discontinued"&"no longer sold"&"new PSUs that are only mediocre with the exact same name" 

Not enough? 

The Quark is already tier 2 by the way ;) 

Since the Quark is worse reviewed than the "STRIDER" SST-ST1000-P it should be a lower tier or same as that model, now STRIDER PLUS is labelled together as Tier 4, and Quark is labelled together as Tier 2.. funny that yet the top end STRIDER PLUS is reviewed essentially the same as the Quark 1000.

Interesting use of bullshittery.

Since the Quark is worse reviewed than the "STRIDER" SST-ST1000-P it should be a lower tier or same as that model, now STRIDER PLUS is labelled together as Tier 4, and Quark is labelled together as Tier 2.. funny that yet the top end STRIDER PLUS is reviewed essentially the same as the Quark 1000.

Interesting use of bullshittery.

Link me to where I can buy that strider plus 1kW PSU completely brand new from a known site? (such as newegg, OCuk, Scan, Amazon, microcenter ect.)

Nope, the quark is better. Caps can mean quite a lot in the long run and it does have better suppression, ripple ect. (apart from the fan noise)

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Link me to where I can buy that strider plus 1kW PSU completely brand new from a known site? (such as newegg, OCuk, Scan, Amazon, microcenter ect.)

Nope, the quark is better. Caps can mean quite a lot in the long run and it does have better suppression, ripple ect. (apart from the fan noise)

Do you know anything about relativity?

Also the Strider 1KW has been in use for well passed 4 years and it's still powering high end machines.

You failed to understand that the Quark series includes "mediocre units" as you like to use for the SS except they both have meh ripple on minor rails and both units rate as a bit meh for their efficiency ratings, the 12v on the Quark is decent, the 12v on the STRIDER is way above average even better units failed to beat it.

Fan noise the Quark outright fails and even struggles to keep it cold at high load... 800 watts out of 1000 and really loud fan noise is not good.

The STRIDER delivered 45c at very low noise and over usage of 1130 watts.

I would say it's a close tie but the STRIDER is a more suitable unit to "live with" as it's not loud and is a very cold running unit.

Oh bu bu but caps... yeah it uses high quality components and uses lesser on areas that are not major parts of the unit, and are no where close to being ran at rated temps, far below it.

2 minutes ago, CAPCOM UK said:

Do you know anything about relativity?

Also the Strider 1KW has been in use for well passed 4 years and it's still powering high end machines.

You failed to understand that the Quark series includes "mediocre units" as you like to use for the SS except they both have meh ripple on minor rails and both units rate as a bit meh for their efficiency ratings, the 12v on the Quark is decent, the 12v on the STRIDER is way above average even better units failed to beat it.

Fan noise the Quark outright fails and even struggles to keep it cold at high load... 800 watts out of 1000 and really loud fan noise is not good.

The STRIDER delivered 45c at very low noise and over usage of 1130 watts.

I would say it's a close tie but the STRIDER is a more suitable unit to "live with" as it's not loud and is a very cold running unit.

Oh bu bu but caps... yeah it uses high quality components and uses lesser on areas that are not major parts of the unit, and are no where close to being ran at rated temps, far below it.

The 12V and noise is the only thing going for the for the strider plus (please, it's not a strider, it's a stider plus) and the quark is a decent unit.

1 minute ago, CAPCOM UK said:

July 5th, 2011 at 9:19 am

vs

March 13th, 2015 at 11:57 am

of the strider plus 700w that I linked eariler...hmmmm 

Finally you've not linked me where I can buy that PSU, if you can't buy it brand new anymore then there's no real reason for it to exist on the list. 

I'm making logical reasons why it needs to be separated from the 4th Tier, it is not a solid representation of all units in that series and makes you and the OP look like noobs toying around with what their "ideal" is.

No Tier 4 supply get's a review as stellar as this below.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/silverstone-strider-plus-1000w-review-sst-st1000-p/6/

I'm making logical reasons why it needs to be separated from the 4th Tier, it is not a solid representation of all units in that series and makes you and the OP look like noobs toying around with what their "ideal" is.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/silverstone-strider-plus-1000w-review-sst-st1000-p/6/

But it's discontinued and can no longer be bought...

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But it's discontinued and can no longer be bought...

People use it still.

Think of who your viewers are, it's only because i read elsewhere and have a decent understanding of a PSU that i argued so much, it helps reader at the end not me or you.

People use it still.

Think of who your viewers are, it's only because i read elsewhere and have a decent understand of a PSU that i argued so much, it helps reader at the end not me or you.

People do indeed still use it and I'm not going to deny that but once people has bought a PSU, I doubt they're gonna check a PSU list (especially when they already know it's a decent PSU) so is it really necessary? People usually only check when they are about to build/buy a new PC/PSU. 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

People do indeed still use it and I'm not going to deny that but once people has bought a PSU, I doubt they're gonna check a PSU list (especially when they already know it's a decent PSU) so is it really necessary? People usually only check when they are about to build/buy a new PC/PSU. 

Yes i get that but believe me people buy stuff used, people often wonder off and buy stuff on a whim.

And it makes you guys look better for taking the time to research correctly.

:)

Yes i get that but believe me people buy stuff used, people often wonder off and buy stuff on a whim.

And it makes you guys look better for taking the time to research correctly.

:)

Alright then, @Energycore, @STRMfrmXMN, you guys need to get adding corsair TX and all other old PSUs to this list boys as people still buy them second hand :P 

4 hours ago, CAPCOM UK said:

we have a PSU capable of delivering above it's wattage to 1130watts at 45c

You seem to be misunderstanding those figures.

Jonnyguru.com doesn't do overload test, so where did you get the 1130w from? Without looking at the review, I figure you are looking at the AC value and not DC. All proper power supplies will be rated at DC output. Meaning both the Quark 1000w and the Strider Plus 1000w is capable of delivering 1000w continuously. However, due to efficiency, it will draw more from the wall and the difference is wasted as heat. Since the Quark is a Platinum unit, it will see a lower AC power draw than the Strider Plus that's Silver. If anything, that makes the Quark a more appealing option...

3 hours ago, CAPCOM UK said:

Since Jonnyguru.com doesn't test for noise / fan speed (let alone have an anechoic chamber and the necessary equipment to measure dBA values / RPM readily accessible), you can't say the Strider Plus necessarily did any better. All you know is that Jonny didn't found it to be loud. What I can tell you is that the fan in the Strider Plus is rated for 2500RPM while the fan rated for 1800RPM in the Quark is made by the same manufacturer - Young Lin. The Strider Plus is likely louder at lower loads due to the higher start-up voltage and since it's a Silver efficiency unit, it would generate more heat during the AC-DC conversion thus may ramp up even harder at higher loads.

Btw, just because it is "loud" doesn't necessary mean that it is struggling to keep it cool. It's a matter of what you prioritized - reliability or quietness. In a server setting, reliability is prioritized, so they are going to have a more powerful but louder fan. In your living area, you want the noise level to be within your comfort zone (which differ from person to person) but at the same time, you want it to reliability cool the PSU down. Let me put it this way. A semi-passive unit will have the fan OFF at lower loads will run hotter than an actively cool unit will have the fan spin up at low RPM at the same efficiency.

Also, the testing methodology and equipment between review sites will differ, in which can yield different results depending on who test it. Not to mentioned, Aris of Techpowerup / Tomshardware has a more comprehensive testing methodology of which Jonnyguru.com does not do. You was comparing an Overshoot transient of JG.com to an Advanced Transient Load response (which JG.com does not test) which is a different test.

Anyways, here's a review put up by Oklahoma Wolf / Jeremy of JG: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?p=115684

12 minutes ago, quan289 said:

You seem to be misunderstanding those figures.

Jonnyguru.com doesn't do overload test, so where did you get the 1130w from? Without looking at the review, I figure you are looking at the AC value and not DC. All proper power supplies will be rated at DC output. Meaning both the Quark 1000w and the Strider Plus 1000w is capable of delivering 1000w continuously. However, due to efficiency, it will draw more from the wall and the difference is wasted as heat. Since the Quark is a Platinum unit, it will see a lower AC power draw than the Strider Plus that's Silver. If anything, that makes the Quark a more appealing option...

Since Jonnyguru.com doesn't test for noise / fan speed (let alone have an anechoic chamber and the necessary equipment to measure dBA values / RPM readily accessible), you can't say the Strider Plus necessarily did any better. All you know is that Jonny didn't found it to be loud. What I can tell you is that the fan in the Strider Plus is rated for 2500RPM while the fan rated for 1800RPM in the Quark is made by the same manufacturer - Young Lin. The Strider Plus is likely louder at lower loads due to the higher start-up voltage and since it's a Silver efficiency unit, it would generate more heat during the AC-DC conversion thus may ramp up even harder at higher loads.

Btw, just because it is "loud" doesn't necessary mean that it is struggling to keep it cool. It's a matter of what you prioritized - reliability or quietness. In a server setting, reliability is prioritized, so they are going to have a more powerful but louder fan. In your living area, you want the noise level to be within your comfort zone (which differ from person to person) but at the same time, you want it to reliability cool the PSU down. Let me put it this way. A semi-passive unit will have the fan OFF at lower loads will run hotter than an actively cool unit will have the fan spin up at low RPM at the same efficiency.

Also, the testing methodology and equipment between review sites will differ, in which can yield different results depending on who test it. Not to mentioned, Aris of Techpowerup / Tomshardware has a more comprehensive testing methodology of which Jonnyguru.com does not do. You was comparing an Overshoot transient of JG.com to an Advanced Transient Load response (which JG.com does not test) which is a different test.

Anyways, here's a review put up by Oklahoma Wolf / Jeremy of JG: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?p=115684

Cealy you never read the reviews.

1 minute ago, CAPCOM UK said:

Cealy you never read the reviews.

I do read power supplies reviews. I just don't read it half-ass.

Also, I didn't comment on whether or not the Quark is better or not. I'd simply state that you probably misunderstood certain things and I had wished to clarify.

Here's one thing we can all agree on...the best use of a Logisys power supply is allowing it to return to its natural state :D

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I'm going to pick up the new Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850w on newegg. I'll be selling my old Seasonic Platinum 860w. Not that I need to do it, I just like wasting money on things I don't need. :D Oh and new tech. Will give me an excuse to tidy up my wiring on the backside of the case too. :D

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

7 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Alright then, @Energycore, @STRMfrmXMN, you guys need to get adding corsair TX and all other old PSUs to this list boys as people still buy them second hand :P 

I'll bring it up and we'll consider it

2 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

I'm going to pick up the new Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850w on newegg. I'll be selling my old Seasonic Platinum 860w. Not that I need to do it, I just like wasting money on things I don't need. :D Oh and new tech. Will give me an excuse to tidy up my wiring on the backside of the case too. :D

On the one hand, great decision for buying a PSU that will last you a lifetime! But on the other, it sounds like you're gonna sell it for something better before it dies so lol

How much for the Platinum 860W?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 hours ago, CAPCOM UK said:

I have a feeling the whole Strider Plus line is closer to T3, after all the changes we've made to the rankings. Since we've divided PSU lines in the past (only if the line involves different platforms) then perhaps we can look into dividing the Strider Plus as well. Just understand that dividing every case of performance difference will hinder more than help as users have a hard time skimming through a vast and ever growing Tier List.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

8 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

The TX varies a lot and is fairly old. It's probably a roughly tier 3 unit overall but what the hell was that guy on about geezus christ can he not read..?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The TX varies a lot and is fairly old. It's probably a roughly tier 3 unit overall but what the hell was that guy on about geezus christ can he not read..?

He was specifically talking about the single decent "Strider Plus" branded PSU and how it's a tier 2/3 PSU :P

while the rest of the line currently thats available isn't great...granted the 1kW PSU he talked about isn't bad. 

God dammit Silverstone...stop using the same naming schemes :P

(on a side note, the Corsair TX was the first PSU that came up in my head that's around the same age as that specific 1000watt PSU...)

7 hours ago, Energycore said:

On the one hand, great decision for buying a PSU that will last you a lifetime! But on the other, it sounds like you're gonna sell it for something better before it dies so lol

How much for the Platinum 860W?

I was thinking around $90. Probably put it up on eBay.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

12 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

Can I just have your old platinum? I need to do stupid things and crossfire my 7950 with my 7970.