I think I found my Major...

spwath

So, yesterday I went on a college tour at University of Hartford, who have an acoustics department. I decided to meet with them to learn more information about it, and it sounds great. Basically you learn all about sound waves, vibration, and more, and do a bunch of real projects around the community. I got to see the reverberation room, where a clap echos for 5 seconds, and their anechoic chamber, where it was dead silent. It was really cool. Also, in the brochure, I saw someone listening to Stax in the anechoic chamber. I wanted to try them, but they were not there. But it seems like the degree I want to go into, to pursue a future making speakers or headphones. Their students get 100% job placement, with companies like Bose, Harmon, and others. Ill apply their this fall, according to the grades, I should get in relatively easily.

So @SSL, we are getting closer to those free headphones i promised you when I start my own company...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

STAX "headphones" Are literally some of the best, along with Mr Speakers Ether C, the stax are "electrostatic" meaning that the sounds you hear is actually electricity moving across the headphone.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

That's awesome. Sounds like a unique program, I can't think of any schools that I know of with a degree like that. Hope you go for it!

2 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

STAX "headphones" Are literally some of the best, along with Mr Speakers Ether C, the stax are "electrostatic" meaning that the sounds you hear is actually electricity moving across the headphone.

Good 2 no brah (we actually already knew the electrostatic part)

sounds like a fun program enjoy

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

God, that sounds like a great program. What's the degree called?

Also, contact me when you become the next Andrew Jones.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

5 minutes ago, SSL said:

That's awesome. Sounds like a unique program, I can't think of any schools that I know of with a degree like that. Hope you go for it!

Good 2 no brah

Yeah, looked really cool, this was the only one I could find remotely close to me. Unfortunately, its a private school, so it ends up being a bunch more expensive at $35,000 per year plus another 10k for room and board... but hopefully I can get a decent scholarship.

8 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

IK, i wish they were there, but alas, the were not. I wanted to try them.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

11 minutes ago, Volbet said:

God, that sounds like a great program. What's the degree called?

Also, contact me when you become the next Andrew Jones.

It's mechanical engineering with an acoustics concentration. It also gives me a minor in math

7 minutes ago, spwath said:

It's mechanical engineering with an acoustics concentration. It also gives me a minor in math

That's probably why I never looked into doing something like that.

I pretty much suck at math, so that would never have gone over well.

Well, I hope you get in and I hope you get the scholarship(s) you apply for. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Damn tahts sounds like a great course! Very jelly 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Sounds like a very interesting program. Probably a good number of other applications too should you decide you just want to build speakers in your free time.

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

8 minutes ago, Rmusic10891 said:

Sounds like a very interesting program. Probably a good number of other applications too should you decide you just want to build speakers in your free time.

Yeah, noise control, hearing aids, tons of stuff. For a project, the made a room in a church acoustically better, as it was tons of reverberations. 

6 hours ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

I mean, that's not actually how that works... Really, as far as electricity moving across the headphone, planar magnetic headphones fit that description better... Electrostatics work with a constant charge on the diaphragm, and very high voltage currents on either side of the diaphragm to move it. Because there are no traces along the diaphragm, it is generally lighter than the air that it displaces, which is why electrostats are so accurate. The diaphragm basically stops on a dime. In a way, you could say that you have almost no electricity moving across the headphone, since the currents stay on their respective sides of the diaphragm, whereas on planars and dynamic drivers, you actually have current moving across the diaphragm.

6 hours ago, spwath said:

Yeah, looked really cool, this was the only one I could find remotely close to me. Unfortunately, its a private school, so it ends up being a bunch more expensive at $35,000 per year plus another 10k for room and board... but hopefully I can get a decent scholarship.

IK, i wish they were there, but alas, the were not. I wanted to try them.

I need to get a scholarship at my university. It's about double that... :(

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

44 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I mean, that's not actually how that works... Really, as far as electricity moving across the headphone, planar magnetic headphones fit that description better... Electrostatics work with a constant charge on the diaphragm, and very high voltage currents on either side of the diaphragm to move it. Because there are no traces along the diaphragm, it is generally lighter than the air that it displaces, which is why electrostats are so accurate. The diaphragm basically stops on a dime. In a way, you could say that you have almost no electricity moving across the headphone, since the currents stay on their respective sides of the diaphragm, whereas on planars and dynamic drivers, you actually have current moving across the diaphragm.

I need to get a scholarship at my university. It's about double that... :(

The only time you hear the electicity is something like a tesla coil playing music.
I saw it once, was pretty cool, we needed ear protection, was probably 100db plus

wow nice man, I hope it goes well for you :)

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

• 3 years later...

Turns out I went there. Only 2 years until I graduate now.

53 minutes ago, spwath said:

Turns out I went there. Only 2 years until I graduate now.

Nice man! Hope you get a job at a audio comapny of your choice? Out of curiosity which company is your first choice right now?

8 hours ago, rice guru said:

Nice man! Hope you get a job at a audio comapny of your choice? Out of curiosity which company is your first choice right now?

IDK, whatever one will hire me :)

Bose would be cool, boston is a nice area.

Harmon/JBL in LA would be cool too.

Honestly any place actually audio related would be really cool.

24 minutes ago, spwath said:

Damn hopefully you can make Bose an actual enjoyable listening experience for me. Love JBL their neat field gear is awesome

On 7/13/2016 at 5:22 PM, spwath said:

So, yesterday I went on a college tour at University of Hartford, who have an acoustics department. I decided to meet with them to learn more information about it, and it sounds great. Basically you learn all about sound waves, vibration, and more, and do a bunch of real projects around the community. I got to see the reverberation room, where a clap echos for 5 seconds, and their anechoic chamber, where it was dead silent. It was really cool. Also, in the brochure, I saw someone listening to Stax in the anechoic chamber. I wanted to try them, but they were not there. But it seems like the degree I want to go into, to pursue a future making speakers or headphones. Their students get 100% job placement, with companies like Bose, Harmon, and others. Ill apply their this fall, according to the grades, I should get in relatively easily.

So @SSL, we are getting closer to those free headphones i promised you when I start my own company...

Go for it, I'm really glad I took my course that was fairly similar to this. Gave me lots of option's further down the line.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, spwath said:

JBL is probably the best company here, they are the largest speaker company in the world after all, So you are never short of work with JBL.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)