Outdoor Cat 5e Installation

2 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

He legitimately gave Colton a list of like, 15 reasons why socks and sandals are the ideal footwear for every situation.

It is NOT a gag - socks and sandals are his life, and he's literally insane for it.

You guys should totally prank linus and hide all his socks and sandals and film it, would make a great channel super fun video! :)

IT Student | Gamer | PC Enthusiast | Life Liver

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

He legitimately gave Colton a list of like, 15 reasons why socks and sandals are the ideal footwear for every situation.

It is NOT a gag - socks and sandals are his life, and he's literally insane for it.

My God :P

I can kind of see his point, tbh. You have the versatility of open footwear for hot weather, socks for more protection in colder climates, they go with everything...

Be right back, I'm going to go and buy some sandals :D

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

32 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

We want demand need  to see that list so we can destroy all the arguments! D:

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I've heard that (at least in some places) there are very particular (and frankly stupid) rules about what kinds of wires can be run in/through a wall in your house, and how you are allowed to do it.  Specifically, I've heard you need to use a specially extra shielded HDMI cable to run it through a wall for electrical/fire safety reasons, and if true, I would expect the same extends to ethernet.  I know he said he got a special weather-proof cable but he never mentioned this, so I have to wonder.  Also, I'm pretty sure he should have used tuck tape to repair the vapour barrier when installing those square outlets in the wall.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Most likely done off camera.

why would he skip showing that step?  Based on how he measured, I'd bet it wasn't done off camera, but more likely just not done.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

why would he skip showing that step?  Based on how he measured, I'd bet it wasn't done off camera, but more likely just not done.

Because of who his videos are targeted at, the average person who enjoys talking about PC's, I personally don't give one about anything if it involves measuring and it isnt something that is 100% Necessary.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

1 minute ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

Because of who his videos are targeted at, the average person who enjoys talking about PC's, I personally don't give one about anything if it involves measuring and it isnt something that is 100% Necessary.

It was clear to me (though I could be wrong) this was supposed to be a fairly complete guide to how best to do this, and for the most part I think it was pretty good, but I would like to know about the thing I posted above, and also why he didn't check for stuff behind the walls too - when you are drilling like that, if you don't check, you could be drilling into an electrical wire or a water line, and both would end badly for everyone involved :(  And, to a much lesser extent, if you check for studs you can attach the box to one instead of floating it on the dry wall.

1 hour ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

My God :P

I can kind of see his point, tbh. You have the versatility of open footwear for hot weather, socks for more protection in colder climates, they go with everything...

Be right back, I'm going to go and buy some sandals :D

Actually Linus doesn't like sandals without socks, so the versatility argument is moot in my opinion. But hey, like I said, I legitimately think he's insane for it...

1 hour ago, revsilverspine said:

We want demand need  to see that list so we can destroy all the arguments! D:

Seems like a good Fast As Possible topic... "Reasons why socks and sandals are the best footwear ever as Fast As Possible" @LinusTech

2 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Seems like a good Fast As Possible topic... "Reasons why socks and sandals are the best footwear ever as Fast As Possible" @LinusTech

I can already see the Like/Dislike ratio o.O

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

7 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

He should legitimately do that if he actually has that many reasons.  It would be funny and informative :P

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It was clear to me (though I could be wrong) this was supposed to be a fairly complete guide to how best to do this, and for the most part I think it was pretty good, but I would like to know about the thing I posted above, and also why he didn't check for stuff behind the walls too - when you are drilling like that, if you don't check, you could be drilling into an electrical wire or a water line, and both would end badly for everyone involved :(  And, to a much lesser extent, if you check for studs you can attach the box to one instead of floating it on the dry wall.

If I find a contractor attaching boxes to studs I will rip that shit out. They are incredibly flimsy and suck. Drywall boxes are like 500x better. Not to mention not everyplace where you want to install something has a stud. 

As to your other post about the ethernet you just need to purchase the correct type that is rated for what you are doing. They have ethernet that specifically rated for in-wall, outdoor, ect. 

And repairing the moisture barrier, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about but no one duct tapes around the hole to put a moisture barrier and there really isn't a need to. 

I don't know why he wouldn't just run the cable inside(using a white cable), that he would run on top of the skirting.
That is what most people i know do :S
If done properly it will be invisible, when i say invisible i mean invisible

I must say the using punch style 'keystone' terminations like this much easier for wall terminations as panels are still easy to expand and it's much quicker and easier to terminate compared to crimp connectors. also if you want to remove the cable you can yank it out and re use both the cable and the jack without having to cut anything.

keystone.png

1 hour ago, CAxVIPER said:

If I find a contractor attaching boxes to studs I will rip that shit out. They are incredibly flimsy and suck. Drywall boxes are like 500x better. Not to mention not everyplace where you want to install something has a stud. 

As to your other post about the ethernet you just need to purchase the correct type that is rated for what you are doing. They have ethernet that specifically rated for in-wall, outdoor, ect. 

And repairing the moisture barrier, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about but no one duct tapes around the hole to put a moisture barrier and there really isn't a need to. 

Well I'm certainly no professional at this to I can't really comment further as to the first two things but I do know what I'm saying with regard to the last point.  If you pull the dry wall off your walls, you will see (if everything was done correctly) that there is a plastic sheet (vapour barrier) and that everywhere a hole had to be cut for an electrical outlet, et. they will have used tuck tape (no not duct tape xD) to reseal the barrier to/around the boxes, because if they didn't, they may as well have not installed it at all since there would be gaping holes in it everywhere there was an outlet or light switch.

1 hour ago, CAxVIPER said:

WTF are you talking about? You will never find a box like Linus installed (in the trade they are known as remodelling boxes or old work boxes) rated for holding any weight. Attaching an electrical box (known as new work boxes) to the studs is vastly stronger than relying on the drywall. Other than the method of attachment, old work boxes and new work boxes are constructed from identical materials so there's no difference there.

As to the availability of studs, if you need to install an electrical box that needs to hold weight in a position where there isn't a convenient stud, there are a lot of options out there that don't require ripping out a huge chunk of drywall.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well I'm certainly no professional at this to I can't really comment further as to the first two things but I do know what I'm saying with regard to the last point.  If you pull the dry wall off your walls, you will see (if everything was done correctly) that there is a plastic sheet (vapour barrier) and that everywhere a hole had to be cut for an electrical outlet, et. they will have used tuck tape (no not duct tape xD) to reseal the barrier to/around the boxes, because if they didn't, they may as well have not installed it at all since there would be gaping holes in it everywhere there was an outlet or light switch.

That must be a Canada thing because here you install your box and your light switch covers any hole there would be, no tape or anything else is applied. High voltage boxes aren't hollow in the back like the one he used.  Most houses in the US don't get wrapped in vapor barrier. 

What you guys call tuck tape we call sheathing tape apparently. 

49 minutes ago, twodollars said:

WTF are you talking about? You will never find a box like Linus installed (in the trade they are known as remodelling boxes or old work boxes) rated for holding any weight. Attaching an electrical box (known as new work boxes) to the studs is vastly stronger than relying on the drywall. Other than the method of attachment, old work boxes and new work boxes are constructed from identical materials so there's no difference there.

As to the availability of studs, if you need to install an electrical box that needs to hold weight in a position where there isn't a convenient stud, there are a lot of options out there that don't require ripping out a huge chunk of drywall.

We aren't hanging a fan from it... Light switches don't need to be connected to a stud. Unless they have changed something the ones you simply screw or nail into studs are not very stable because they are only supported from one side. I've had to replace all of mine in both houses I've lived in. 

I don't remember saying you should rip out a large chunk of sheetrock. If you are hanging something heavy then obviously you need to use a stud. 

as someone who does this professionally, it looks pretty good after i skimmed through the video with no sound.

though old tom is right, normally you'd use a proper jack.  That said, realistically, what was done will work perfectly fine for gigabit in the home.

great video guys

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Not perfect, but good enough i guess. Please use keystones for the wall plate next time..

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

6 hours ago, nicklmg said:

We need that list to go public or he never actually had a list. 

You really don't need a UV Cat5e cable for outside if the cable is like hidden in the shade all the time...i just did a more ghetto job by just drilling a hole with no wall mounts or so

Sandals: 25C+ maximums. Why would you wear socks in the heat

Socks and Sandals: When it's cold but not raining and you're walking around the house in socks but need to go out quickly

Shoes: Every other scenario.... except for the seasonal transition period where I stubbornly keep wearing sandals for a bit

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

10 hours ago, skywake said:

When drilling through something you're far more likely to damage the other end. If you damage the external wall it's pretty damn hard to repair because you can't exactly replace a whole brick. You can't really patch it up either. The internal wall is not only easier repair if you damage it but you're also going to cover it up with a wall plate anyway.

Drilling blindly also increases the odds that your bit will make improper contact - like at the edge of a brick.  It will then try to wander off to the side and the force break the bit.

Any time you are drilling with an impact driver the bit needs to be square to the surface.

I've been using like a 200ft 5e cable that was 15 bucks for a year and a half with most of it running outdoors without issues, also like a 150ft cheap Cat6 cable in the same location for a few months now anyways . Maybe I'm just lucky.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

16 hours ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

I asked on youtube but maybe I'll get a response here, instead of measuring where he wanted the hole, why didn't he pick the exact spot he wanted, then drill from the inside to the outside? 

16 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I don't remember the exact answer but when I was running my CAT5e cable my father told me to drill from the outside in like Linus did. I should have paid more attention to the reasoning.

15 hours ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

the only thing I can think of is that if you push too hard at the exit point you can create a bigger hole in the brick if it cracks, and take a chunk off the brick by the hole if you see what I mean, but taking care would prevent that.

Because if you drill from inside the house going out you will get blow out, you always want the blow out facing the side that cant be seen. Also it is harder to seal a blowout than the entry point. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER