AMD livestream has begun- Hawaii GPUs

Humbug

Think we are getting to the point we are here for some specs on the 290x

I lied.. got excited for a second

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Definitely not a fan of either.

I don't really like how conservative Geforce Experience is (hopefully this will be better) and I like to tweak the settings myself too, but I definitely like the concept for less techie people.

Think we are getting to the point we are here for some specs on the 290x

Don't expect to see much more detail before the actual release...

Finally!

EDIT: Never mind if we don't get some specs and price i'm going to go nuts.

8b935306.jpg

Don't expect to see much more detail before the actual release...

Price is all we ask.

Is there something withing the audio world that could be an equivalent to FPS?  It seems that with audio there is much more preference in terms of "what sounds good to you" (for instance being able to swamp amps on mobos and cards for preference) than something quantifiable.  I like that graphics has benchmarks, and I don't recall people often arguing over which is prettier for the sake of looks, is there some kind of equivalent for audio?

If nothing else it seems audio and the needs would be very different for someone who wants to wear headphones, someone who wants a 2 speaker set up and someone who wants surround sound. Are they trying to do it all?  How different are the needs?  Trying to do everything frequently means you are not the best at anything.  I am not sure I like the idea of being locked in based on the GPU to what audio AMD thinks is best.  Seems audiophiles would want more choices too.  I fear that many people may end up feeling like they paying for a feature they don't really want.  Either you don't care much about audio and mostly want to avoid problems, or you care enough you likely don't want it tied to your GPU. 

Things like swapping amps and audiophile stuff is sound card territory. I'm talking more about things like the surround stuff they demoed, EAX or Dolby HD. Think along the lines of the audio equivalent for PhysX. Sound quality will be sound card/amp/headphone/speaker-based as ever, while audio effects and simulations (the audio equivalent of shaders and such I suppose) will be what GPUs take care of.

I like the sound of this mantle

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Things like swapping amps and audiophile stuff is sound card territory. I'm talking more about things like the surround stuff they demoed, EAX or Dolby HD. Think along the lines of the audio equivalent for PhysX. Sound quality will be sound card/amp/headphone/speaker-based as ever, while audio effects and simulations (the audio equivalent of shaders and such I suppose) will be what GPUs take care of.

That is actually a very fascinating way to look at it, thank you. I wonder if we will get to the point where we adjust out sound on games similar to our texture/shadow details. 

So as an example maybe, you are picturing a situation where you bang your weapon on a barrel drum and the sound might resonate differently depending on the material your weapon is made of and/or how full the drum is?  So the sound could change according to your situation in a more realistic manor rather than the same thump effect.  Is that sorta what you are talking about?

Intel Core i5 2400 - Corsair Vengeance 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24 - four strips) - ASUS P8Z68-V LE - GeForce GTX 660 Ti (MSI Power Edition) - 60GB Corsair Force 3 Boot drive with 2.5TB in a random nightmare of a configuration

so no more direct x means it could be compatible with linux (hoping)

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

bf4 gameplay demo from campaign... suckers for whoever disconnected stream earlier during soundcard stuff

haven't we already seen angry sea?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Am I the only one that can never see the enemies they are shooting at when people are demo-ing FPS games?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

MANTLE, a DX11 replacement API, will allow full performance scaling for CPU cores, that's just epic !

MANTLE would be able to let people game on Linux then? If it is a DirectX replacement.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Finally my stream decides to start again... Right as the livestream ends. FML

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Am I the only one that can never see the enemies they are shooting at when people are demo-ing FPS games?

Nope.

Looks like MANTLE is also compatible with the current GCN graphics cards like the HD 7000 series.

Please AMD give me some crossfire driver news for the love of god.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Geforce RTX 3090 FE 

So... They completely forgot or did not bother to post a price for the 290X. Great. :(

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

you, know, would it have killed them to give tech specs?

Daily Driver: