Intel adds Iris Pro Skylake-H - 128Mb of eDRAM, 30% graphical improvement

Just now, Sakkura said:

Your source does not say anything about the transistor count of Skylake GT4e.

And nor does it need to. Compare die sizes, multiply the ratio out, add 10% b/c GPUs can be transistor-heavy and denser, and you wind up with 2.23.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

And nor does it need to. Compare die sizes, multiply the ratio out, add 10% b/c GPUs can be transistor-heavy and denser, and you wind up with 2.23.

No. That's exactly the kind of unreliable estimate that makes your numbers useless.

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Your source does not say anything about the transistor count of Skylake GT4e. There's not even any actual source for the Skylake GT2 number.

It's perfectly reliable. It's exactly how you arrive at the die sizes for Haswell GT3e. Know your enemy, and you will win many battles. How many times do you and Prysin have to go home bloody before you learn to stop fighting battles you don't have any hope of winning?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It's perfectly reliable. It's exactly how you arrive at the die sizes for Haswell GT3e. Know your enemy, and you will win many battles.

No it's not. There is no real source for the number, nor any details on whether it's schematic or layout transistors, or how it's distributed between CPU and GPU etc.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

No it's not. There is no real source for the number, nor any details on whether it's schematic or layout transistors, or how it's distributed between CPU and GPU etc.

It's the total transistor count for the entire die.

It's the total transistor count for the entire die.

Without any information about how much of that is taken up by the GPU, whether it's layout or schematic transistors, or whether the number is even real at all - there's no source for it. Wikipedia is not a source.

14 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Sorry, was thinking Carrizo (stupid half-generation BS AMD). Regardless, the premise stands.

Also, no, the 6600K is 122.4

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9505/skylake-cpu-package-analysis

interesting. because...

https://www.techpowerup.com/cpudb/1829/core-i5-6500

177mm2

https://www.techpowerup.com/cpudb/1836/core-i3-6100

150mm2

https://www.techpowerup.com/cpudb/1839/pentium-g4400

150mm2

makes me wonder who is wrong. But hey, we can go on twitter and ask Ian Cutress.

17 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

AMD disclosed the exact number as 3.1 billion at ISSCC 2015. Where the Hell have you been?

where the hell is their official slides then? Google arent givin it to me.

And did they disclose APU or CPU?

I wish that new HP Secptre would use a cpu that runs on Iris Pro instead of the standard 520.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 minutes ago, Prysin said:

where the hell is their official slides then? Google arent givin it to me.

And did they disclose APU or CPU?

Their CPUs are APUs, just with the GPU disabled.

Could I get a business laptop with the new CPUs please? Something like a T460s xD 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3.1B transistors

End of the discussion.

AMD-Carrizo-APU_28nm-x86-5-IPC-635x357.jpg

i7 5775c @4.1GHz // 2x4GB 2400MHz CL10 // R9 285 @1120/1575MHz // SSD MX100 512GB // Z97M Gaming // RM550 // Prolimatech Megahalems+ NF-P14s Redux // Cooletk U3

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's perfectly reliable. It's exactly how you arrive at the die sizes for Haswell GT3e. Know your enemy, and you will win many battles. How many times do you and Prysin have to go home bloody before you learn to stop fighting battles you don't have any hope of winning?

Must....Resist...Urge...

Any who, back to the topic at hand. Pretty sure I called this like, almost a year ago (August 2015), but I will say what I have always said on this subject. Even if this iGPU is not matching a 750 Ti, look at what these things will do for NUC's and netbooks. GTX 750 level performance in a netbook? Extremely low power consumption and ability to be passively cooled? This is by no means an unimpressive feat. If I see a Skylake i5 with GT4e in a netbook, i'd pay a very hefty sum of cash for that device. Preferably with a 720p screen (GTX 750 is not that great at 1080p, can't quite expect this iGPU to be either unless light gaming or browsing). 

Add in the ability to use DDR4 SO-DIMM's (Seriously, why are these not popular yet? Every Skylake laptop uses DDR3) and maybe add in EVGA's laptop memory overclocking design, and we might see some decent bandwidth to throw in with these iGPU's. Look at the 940m. That thing is almost as strong as a desktop GTX 750, but it's severely starved on memory bandwidth (32GB/s on some variants) while even a tame 3200mhz DDR4 kit can get 51.2GB/s peak (around 48-49GB/s realistically). If those 4266mhz kits ever hit SO-DIMM market, then that would be 68.2GB/s peak. To put that into perspective, the GTX 960m only has 80GB/s memory bandwidth, and seems to do fine for the most part at 1080p in terms of bandwidth. 

I think i rambled on for too long about my dreams for an OP netbook. Carry on. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

8 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Must....Resist...Urge...

Any who, back to the topic at hand. Pretty sure I called this like, almost a year ago (August 2015), but I will say what I have always said on this subject. Even if this iGPU is not matching a 750 Ti, look at what these things will do for NUC's and netbooks. GTX 750 level performance in a netbook? Extremely low power consumption and ability to be passively cooled? This is by no means an unimpressive feat. If I see a Skylake i5 with GT4e in a netbook, i'd pay a very hefty sum of cash for that device. Preferably with a 720p screen (GTX 750 is not that great at 1080p, can't quite expect this iGPU to be either unless light gaming or browsing). 

Add in the ability to use DDR4 SO-DIMM's (Seriously, why are these not popular yet? Every Skylake laptop uses DDR3) and maybe add in EVGA's laptop memory overclocking design, and we might see some decent bandwidth to throw in with these iGPU's. Look at the 940m. That thing is almost as strong as a desktop GTX 750, but it's severely starved on memory bandwidth (32GB/s on some variants) while even a tame 3200mhz DDR4 kit can get 51.2GB/s peak (around 48-49GB/s realistically). If those 4266mhz kits ever hit SO-DIMM market, then that would be 68.2GB/s peak. To put that into perspective, the GTX 960m only has 80GB/s memory bandwidth, and seems to do fine for the most part at 1080p in terms of bandwidth. 

I think i rambled on for too long about my dreams for an OP netbook. Carry on. 

I still don't get why low bandwidth DDR3 is used with 940M. Its the kind of thing you'd expect 6 years ago with DDR3 1600 being the main choice (though the laptops that have 64MB dedicated DDR2 800, and 256MB shared DDR3 1333 are really odd)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

They have no hope of winning, yet all you ever do is provide guesswork and if you do miraculously provide a source for anything, it doesn't actually support any of your claims. You're like wccf in terms of reliability. Remember how Jim Keller was already working at Intel and all he had to do was announce it and then he ended up working for Tesla?

2 hours ago, Ansau said:

3.1B transistors

End of the discussion.

AMD-Carrizo-APU_28nm-x86-5-IPC-635x357.jpg

Thank you for posting the slide for us. :)

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

This is good news as I'm probably going to have to upgrade to a MacBook Pro with integrated graphics since Apple refuses to upgrade the Air to a Retina display.

7 hours ago, zMeul said:

despite providing better iGPs in their APUs, AMD had a hard time selling APUs and their market strategy failed hard

Intel could use some random iGPs in their CPUs and still sell a ton of them - what AMD didn't get: people don't buy integrated graphics for graphical performance

AMD APU's are only relevant to the console market and "console level gaming" PC market... those commonly referred to by the PC master race as peasants...

7 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

This is still dumb. Their best iGPUs should be on CPUs that would not typically be paired with a dgpu. When they put anything other than the most basic iGPU on a top tier chip theyre just wasting die space.

Not everybody games... thus requiring dedicated GPU's. The iGPU's do enough to not need to get a separate low spec dGPU.

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

41 minutes ago, AyeJayKay said:

This is good news as I'm probably going to have to upgrade to a MacBook Pro with integrated graphics since Apple refuses to upgrade the Air to a Retina display.

A Retina Air (assuming you're referring to the 13" variant) would basically be the Retina Pro (or have abysmal battery life).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

A Retina Air (assuming you're referring to the 13" variant) would basically be the Retina Pro (or have abysmal battery life).

Yes, I want a Retina Air 13" but if Apple doesn't update the Air then I will be forced to get a MacBook Pro. Not ideal but what can you do.

Just now, GidonsClaw said:

AMD APU's are only relevant to the console market and "console level gaming" PC market... those commonly referred to by the PC master race as peasants...

Not everybody games... thus requiring dedicated GPU's. The iGPU's do enough to not need to get a separate low spec dGPU.

If someone build a system with a 6700k, does intensive work eith it, and still doesnt have a basic dGPU thats their problem. A more basic iGPU with more cores/cache/etc. would be far smarter. For those people who dont use at least a 950/270x/W.E. With a 300+ cpu, thats on them.

- snip-

4 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

If someone build a system with a 6700k, does intensive work eith it, and still doesnt have a basic dGPU thats their problem. A more basic iGPU with more cores/cache/etc. would be far smarter. For those people who dont use at least a 950/270x/W.E. With a 300+ cpu, thats on them.

Okay, let's look at this purely from a compute power standpoint.

GFlops on 8 Skylake cores at 3.3GHz:

8 * 256/32 (AVX2) * 2 (FMA) * 3.3*10^9 = 422.4 GFlops

GFlops on 6700K w/GT2.

4*8*2*4.2*10^9

+

24(EU)*8(SP)*2(FMA)*1.15*10^9

= 710.4GFlops

Integrated graphics is the answer to getting performance density in a central processor. Heterogeneous acceleration will get here, eventually...

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Okay, let's look at this purely from a compute power standpoint.

GFlops on 8 Skylake cores at 3.3GHz:

8 * 256/32 (AVX2) * 2 (FMA) * 3.3*10^9 = 422.4 GFlops

GFlops on 6700K w/GT2.

4*8*2*4.2*10^9

+

24(EU)*8(SP)*2(FMA)*1.15*10^9

= 710.4GFlops

Integrated graphics is the answer to getting performance density in a central processor. Heterogeneous acceleration will get here, eventually...

Eventually.

But until then, why waste die space on a iGPU that almost no-one will use?

- snip-

2 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Eventually.

But until then, why waste die space on a iGPU that almost no-one will use?

The same reason AMD does: to have the best product available when that day comes, as future-proofing sells.

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

The same reason AMD does: to have the best product available when that day comes, as future-proofing sells.

I guess so.

but (as a genuine question) why is it important for the gpu to be on-die for HSA?

- snip-

1 minute ago, MrDynamicMan said:

I guess so.

but (as a genuine question) why is it important for the gpu to be on-die for HSA?

Because otherwise you have to copy memory to a dGPU's local memory. That takes time and bandwidth. For latency-sensitive applications, integrated accelerators are king.