[Update: 365.10 is also broken] URGENT: Nvidia's 364.xx driver is BROKEN!

URGENT: DRIVERS 364.51, 364.72 and 364.96 ARE BROKEN!

UPDATE (02/may): 365.10 is also broken

At the current time, the full extent of the problem is not known. But some testing done with PrimeGrid pretty much confirmed that those drivers produce wrong results. I've also heard reports from different sources saying that POEM@HOME is having issues with 364.xx as well, while being fine with 362.00.

It's not known if this affects other projects such as Folding, SETI, GPUGRID or whatever other DC project you can think of. The issue APPEARS to be Maxwell specific, but that's not fully verified either.

So as a preventive measure, if you have ANY Nvidia card and are using the drivers 364.51, 364.72, the hotfix 364.96 (update: or 365.10), DOWNGRADE TO VERSION 362.00 OR LOWER IMMEDIATELY!

UPDATE 2 (03/may): Nvidia has given official confirmation of being aware on the issue and working on it. Click here to see the post.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

The only issue I've had with them is that Folding@Home no longer detects my GPU.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

The only issue I've had with them is that Folding@Home no longer detects my GPU.

That's a different subject.

What I'm describing here is that those drivers cause calculations to throw faulty results, even though they are seemingly correct.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

That's a different subject.

What I'm describing here is that those drivers cause calculations to throw faulty results, even though they are seemingly correct.

Either way, buggy drivers.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

It's incorrect to assume that the drivers are "broken" for everyone.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I have a Kepler GPU and 364.75 has been fine for me. Might be a Maxwell-specific issue.

its not broken if you dont use your GPU for mining or folding....

works fine for the INTENDED PURPOUSE OF A GPU

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

It is early days yet but it does look like for computational tasks 364.xx gives different results compared to earlier drivers for enough people this isn't just a few odd cases. If you never run sensitive compute application you might never notice it, and it is very possible it is not relevant if all you do is game.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

17 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

Oh, your's is doing fine? Then please do the same tests as we did and post your results. Please, the more data we have, the better. I'll give you instructions:

1. Install one of the faulty drivers.
  2. Remove your OC, if any. This is just for testing.
  3. Go to this page and follow the link to your OS.
  4. Download the geneferocl app.
  5. open it with the command line as follows. Assuming windows and a single GPU: geneferocl_windows.exe -d 0 -q "43322502^131072+1"
  6. It'll generate a genefer.txt file once it's finished. Post it's results here, along with the card model you used and the driver version.

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

its not broken if you dont use your GPU for mining or folding....

works fine for the INTENDED PURPOUSE OF A GPU

I suppose that's why consumer cards include CUDA and OpenCL support, because you are NOT supposed to use those features. Right?

3 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Oh, your's is doing fine? Then please do the same tests as we did and post your results. Please, the more data we have, the better. I'll give you instructions:

1. Install one of the faulty drivers.
  2. Remove your OC, if any. This is just for testing.
  3. Go to this page and follow the link to your OS.
  4. Download the geneferocl app.
  5. open it with the command line as follows. Assuming windows and a single GPU: geneferocl_windows.exe -d 0 -q "43322502^131072+1"
  6. It'll generate a genefer.txt file once it's finished. Post it's results here, along with the card model you used and the driver version.

Oh I thought you just meant the driver was buggy. All I do is game so wouldn't notice it for more advanced stuff.

Just now, AstroBenny said:

Oh I thought you just meant the driver was buggy. All I do is game so wouldn't notice it for more advanced stuff.

Do you know what section of the forum you are in? People that post here (in theory) do more than just gaming...

5 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Do you know what section of the forum you are in? People that post here (in theory) do more than just gaming...

Yeah sorry :P

I mostly just browse recent topics and all your capitals in the title caught my attention :)

@ImakuniMy GTX 750 Ti has no problems completing WU's with F@H, so is there any reason for me to downgrade my drivers?

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

2 minutes ago, Henry said:

@ImakuniMy GTX 750 Ti has no problems completing WU's with F@H, so is there any reason for me to downgrade my drivers?

Yes.

While I don't know if this affects F@H or not, here's the deal: assuming it DOES affect folding, WUs will still complete like normal, and you wouldn't really notice a thing. But they'll have wrong results, which is utterly useless for the scientists. This is even worse if F@H uses single unit validation, or if it validates with another user affected by the issue.

For that reason, downgrade.

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Yes.

While I don't know if this affects F@H or not, here's the deal: assuming it DOES affect folding, WUs will still complete like normal, and you wouldn't really notice a thing. But they'll have wrong results, which is utterly useless for the scientists. This is even worse if F@H uses single unit validation, or if it validates with another user affected by the issue.

For that reason, downgrade.

Which specific driver do you recommend that is super stable for maxwell

Just now, Henry said:

Which specific driver do you recommend that is super stable for maxwell

362.00, 361.91... any driver that's lower than 364.xx will do.

Just now, Imakuni said:

362.00, 361.91... any driver that's lower than 364.xx will do.

I meant a specific driver that is stable overall (not just for folding)

Just now, Henry said:

I meant a specific driver that is stable overall (not just for folding)

That's what I'm saying. There's no "super stable driver". There are people with problems only on early drivers, people with problems only on later drivers, people with problems with both, people with no problems at all....

Once again, any driver that's lower than 364 will do. I'm just using 362.00, but you can use the one which you've liked most.

UPDATE: the latest 365.10 is also broken.

I though it was a one off, I didn't know three consecutive drivers were broken. Nvidia shouldn't be releasing this stuff.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

The focus of these drivers is they're "game ready" releases, with improved support for new game titles. That doesn't mean it should break compute capability, but at the same time unless you are playing those new games supported, it isn't really essential.

Remember there was talk about them going to a two stream driver release. A "slow" and stable stream for non-gamers, and a "fast" stream for cutting edge gamers. Maybe we need this more now...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Well... I'm on 365.10 now... thought to myself "oh yeah we're out of the 364 area".  I guess we'll see how it goes :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Cant believe this happened to me, but 365.10 broke my gpu i used ddu to revert back to 362 and my gpu is crashing about 5 secs into any 3d rendered scene; even cs:go. if i dont force close the game before it freezes a second time i get bsod.  365.10 did permanent damage to my gpu and it seems to have taken about 24 hours for it to cook itself alive. conveniently on the day the gtx 1080 was announced. coincidence? i think not!

im trapped at my pc all day knowing that if i launch a game, my pc will bsod.