Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dackzy

Before you buy amp and DAC + recommendations.

Was this thread helpful?  

349 members have voted

1. 1. Was/is this thread helpful?

• Yes
    • No

17 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Hi i haven't personally tried either, because monoprice is basically impossible for me to get where I live. I have personally mainly heard okay things about the monoprice cavalli amp, not so much the spark, the few times I have talked with people about it they have claimed that the atom would be a better buy than the spark. I will have to do some research to see if they are good enough to go on the list and maybe see if I can get a couple of loaner units so I can test them.

I definitely agree with those people but their is something fun about this amp thats hard to resist for me. it kinda seems like it colors the sound a bit while that sounds like bad thing it makes things brighter and have thumpier bass and it's ina sense fun. and I though if your going to recommend the magni might as well recommend the LS because out of the 3 the ATOM is the best buy

Main Desktop audio Setup topping d10---> monolith Alex Cavelli Liquid Spark--->Beyerdynamic dt 990 for gaming, Sennheiser hd 58x for everything else

My portable setup one plus 6T--->fiio ubtr---> Tin hifi T3

Other audio stuff you can feel free to ask about if you see me on the audio forum are AKG k240, AKG k 52, AKG y50bt, koss ksc 75, Sennheiser HD 4.40, Fiio e10k 

Posted · Original PosterOP
6 hours ago, rice guru said:

I definitely agree with those people but their is something fun about this amp thats hard to resist for me. it kinda seems like it colors the sound a bit while that sounds like bad thing it makes things brighter and have thumpier bass and it's ina sense fun. and I though if your going to recommend the magni might as well recommend the LS because out of the 3 the ATOM is the best buy

well the magni is an option for EU people or really anyone that isn't close to the US, where the likes of the Atom and spark just don't make any sense because they will be so expensive to get imported. It sounds like the Spark has a V shaped coloration

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills, Focal Elex

DAC and AMP: Dual PCM63k tube DAC, RME ADI 2 DAC, Cavalli Tube Hybrid

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I have a question and hope someone here can help me.

I have a 2.1 speaker system on my PC and I'd like to connect my second to it also.
I bought on ebay an audio switch which allows me to choose which PC is connected to the speakers.
Despite the switch do its work, I simply can't use it because of the white noise that generates on the speakers.
I open the switch box and it's just wires connecting to the switch itself, without any type of electronics to filter that white noise.

Do you guys know of any switch that do filter the sound or the only way to clear that white noise is to buy an amp?
By the way, which would be more suitable for my needs, a dac or an amp?

Thank you.

Please recommend dac+amp that would be very portable but would be good enough to connect 2 - 6 speakers and would not break the bank, budget not defined for now, but maybe 200 - 300 euros, but if there are something very light and portable for more money, I will consider it.Portability and light weight are top priority in this case.I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to audio related things so if I did not specify something important,sorry about that. @rice guru Could you maybe offer some advice?

6 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Please recommend dac+amp that would be very portable but would be good enough to connect 2 - 6 speakers and would not break the bank, budget not defined for now, but maybe 200 - 300 euros, but if there are something very light and portable for more money, I will consider it.Portability and light weight are top priority in this case.I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to audio related things so if I did not specify something important,sorry about that. @rice guru Could you maybe offer some advice?

Sorry man I'm not a speaker guy but @Derkoli and maybe @King Poet might be able to help because I know they have pretty sweet setups with speakers. And I know this guy is pretty controversial in the audio world check out zeos's Reddit because he should  have recommendations for your use case because for how much he loves his heaphones he more of a speaker guy.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/&ved=2ahUKEwiUvtKSkq_hAhVFba0KHTuGDkgQjjgwAHoECAYQAw&usg=AOvVaw3YGETuPHsQ8gEh99c1o3qL

Main Desktop audio Setup topping d10---> monolith Alex Cavelli Liquid Spark--->Beyerdynamic dt 990 for gaming, Sennheiser hd 58x for everything else

My portable setup one plus 6T--->fiio ubtr---> Tin hifi T3

Other audio stuff you can feel free to ask about if you see me on the audio forum are AKG k240, AKG k 52, AKG y50bt, koss ksc 75, Sennheiser HD 4.40, Fiio e10k 

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

Sorry man I'm not a speaker guy but @Derkoli and maybe @King Poet might be able to help because I know they have pretty sweet setups with speakers. And I know this guy is pretty controversial in the audio world check out zeos's Reddit because he should  have recommendations for your use case because for how much he loves his heaphones he more of a speaker guy.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/&ved=2ahUKEwiUvtKSkq_hAhVFba0KHTuGDkgQjjgwAHoECAYQAw&usg=AOvVaw3YGETuPHsQ8gEh99c1o3qL

;)

My RCA cables cost more than my pc :D

7 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

if the speakers are powered (self amplified) or you have an amp, any portable dac would work, as the dac doesnt actually power the speakers, it only gives the amp signal. Have a look at fiio's stuff or an audioquest dragonfly. https://www.amazon.co.uk/AudioQuest-DragonFly-Digital-Audio-Converter/dp/B01DFMV4NQ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dragonfly+red&qid=1554144999&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Or, if you can stretch the budget a bit, have a look at chord's stuff. Finding a dac+amp for 2-6 speaker that is portable is uh kind of stretching it. My home theater setup can use kilo watts at peak power (it is 15.2.5 though... meh. proves a point in my little mind.)

My RCA cables cost more than my pc :D