Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes

I hope it fixes my current issues ... I have stopped using skype for sms due to its slow load time uuugh.

And the restarting ... it not asa bad as it was before (refer to a few comments back) but it still does it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Any idea when Mobile 1709 is being rolled out to the Public?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Any idea when Mobile 1709 is being rolled out to the Public?

public?! HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!

lol, just kidding.

No, no ideal. Sorry. Microsoft didn't say anything related to this.

Ok ""Fall Creators Update"" for Mobile is in Release Preview branch. So I guess it will be coming out in the next few weeks.

Microsoft drop support for the 640 and 640XL. Both phones won't be getting the  Fall Creators Update.

All other phones are still supported.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ok ""Fall Creators Update"" for Mobile is in Release Preview branch. So I guess it will be coming out in the next few weeks.

Microsoft drop support for the 640 and 640XL. Both phones won't be getting the  Fall Creators Update.

Nice! I really wonder what their future plans are though on Windows Mobile. I'm not using it as my primary phone OS anymore since a month now. Sounds like they aren't really planning on adding any new features.

I just feel like they never had any developers really working on any new features since W10 Mobile was release though. I mean night light will probably never be integrated into W10 Mobile even though it makes the most sense for mobile..-_-

And other little things such as the audio equalizer being a Lumia only feature is just plain garbage. They really dropped the ball by not really developing the platform much since 2015, now even I as a Microsoft fan has stopped using it.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

33 minutes ago, MSWindowsinside said:

Nice! I really wonder what their future plans are though on Windows Mobile. I'm not using it as my primary phone OS anymore since a month now. Sounds like they aren't really planning on adding any new features.

I just feel like they never had any developers really working on any new features since W10 Mobile was release though. I mean night light will probably never be integrated into W10 Mobile even though it makes the most sense for mobile..-_-

And other little things such as the audio equalizer being a Lumia only feature is just plain garbage. They really dropped the ball by not really developing the platform much since 2015, now even I as a Microsoft fan has stopped using it.

Nope. Windows 10 Mobile is all finished. Windows 10 Mobile should have been Windows Phone 7... or the very least Windows Phone 8 with powerful hardware. MS would have a fighting chance. But, it was doing nothing then to bleed money for MS. The problem is devs aren't supporting the platform. Microsoft tried to pay developers, but support isn't growing. This is not helped with the fact that Microsoft lost web dev support, and didn't even gain the mobile app developers, by ignoring that market since day 1. The company complete miss management, lack of any vision, and internal managerial lack of visions is what killed the platform since day 1.

Windows 10 Mobile was a last try to get dev support with UWP.. but even UWP is not gaining traction. Companies don't see the value of UWP apps on Windows 10. They just say: "Well, we have a web site".  Heck, Facebook has an app on Windows 10. Do people use it? Or go to facebook.com? I don't think you need to look at any statistics to know what people do. This is what they are used to. The only reason why mobile apps took off, is because web browsers on phones were garbage, and there was a demand.

Anyway, Microsoft said that Windows 10 Mobile is in support mode. They won't focus on new features, unless there is a big demand from enterprise customers, but that is about it. This gives Lumia 950/950XL users a good 3 years of support in total, from the day of release to enjoy, but after that, that is all. The OS will be killed off.

Microsoft directions is on partnering with mobile manufactures and grow on there to promote its apps, and work on those apps.

All current Windows phone users should be considering switching to Android by the release of next gen phones. The good news for Windows 10 Mobile users is that, today, compared to the moment of when Windows 10 Mobile was released, Android Microsoft apps have massively improved, and are now, (well the current supported ones) on par with Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10. They started as trash. So the transition would be much easier.

Also, Microsoft has been working on a launcher for Android called: Microsoft Arrow, which brings the GUI concepts that Android never adapted to Android. No Live Tiles, but vertical scrolling instead of "pages", tap letter to jump, sleek look (and not the garbage Android GUI - Yea i don't like it... I think it is a failure, people are just used to it.. but my opinion. Let's face it, that is one of the reason why we jumped to Windows Phone. Android and iOS are outdated in terms of GUI) and so on.

Here is a video showing some of them. In my opinion, they are all crap except the 2 last ones, which includes Microsoft Arrow

What I expect Microsoft to do:

• Microsoft phone with partnership with a manufacture like Samsung. Right now, it is just touching the water..  I expect an actual Microsoft phone. Where all supported MS apps pre-installed with MS Arrow launcher. Maybe a modified GUI on Android... While I wish, I doubt that we will see a deeply modified Android with UWP apps support, and Windows 10 Mobile GUI in full.

• Windows 10 ARM on a convertible system phone/tablet. The moment they can figure out flexible OLED screen for hundred of thousands of folds, and be perfectly straight, and you can use the pen and not feel bumps from the hinge, or figure another system to make that happen. Like ZTE dual screen phone, but way better implementation (OLED instead of IPS panels, cut the thickness massively, and the OS actually auto-adapts, etc.) I doubt that we will see anything anytime soon.

47 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Let's face it, that is one of the reason why we jumped to Windows Phone. Android and iOS are outdated in terms of GUI) and so on.

Honestly now that I think about it, that's kind of true. The reasons I bought a Lumia 650 last year were: integration with my desktop OS, and the UI looks gorgeous.

The first reason is currently invalid because Microsoft has pushed all their apps to Android and iOS and gave them the same (sometimes even more) features than they had on Windows Phone 10.

The second reason still stands, the UI in Android just looks extremely outdated. It's looks so dull and it doesn't help that the Android platform is very fragmented. Most apps are compatible with Android Kit Kat or Gingerbread even, so developers can't take advantage of new UI features exclusive to newer Android versions. Just look at Teamviewer for Android, the UI has never changed since I got my first Android phone in 2011. The buttons look like they were ported from Windows 98, if you compare the Android app to the UWP app it's just garbage. The UWP app looks really good even though the design is very minimalistic.

Though with all of that said, because developers basically left the Windows Mobile platform, a lot of Windows 8 silverlight based apps are still out there and never if rarely get an update. Heck some look like they were ported straight from WP7.0 and never changed:(. As far as I know, the Loading... and Resuming... screens that's pestering some apps is because they're built on Silverlight instead of the different options that are available for UWP. Look at the WhatsApp app for example, they did get rid of the title bars from Windows Phone 8 (or was it 7). However the old style option bar is still there for some reason. Even on a really fast Windows Phone, my Alcatel Idol 4S Windows edition, I get a LOT of loading screens because of these legacy apps.

What I learned from this is, while the OS might me much more optimized than Android, its apps make it feel like a clunky and slow OS.

47 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What I expect Microsoft to do:

Windows 10 ARM on a convertible system phone/tablet.

I would love that, IF they end up actually continually developing and supporting the platform. Which will be much more easy given the fact that it truly uses the same codebase as desktop Windows 10, just ported to ARM64. If they pull something like this off corectly then I'm back to Windows everywhere.

For the next few years though I'm settled on Android, albeit with mostly Microsoft apps because that's how I roll.xD

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

To bad, but in retrospect I am glad I got the 950 for my wife.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

<snip>

I have a kyocera duraforce pro with Android 6.0.1 and it is ok. I did install the MS Arrow Launcher and as a WP/WM user its is a good intermediate setup.

I can only complain a little. (I dont want to rail on Android)  But as for the launcher to recommend? yes I do.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

How long do you guys plan to keep using your W10M device as your daily driver?

I know GoodBytes said in another thread until March and I know vorticalbox is also switching in March or April.

I'm considering buying new Android Phone by the end of the year and then use both for a period of time and gradually move completely over to the Android Device.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

56 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I know GoodBytes said in another thread until March and I know vorticalbox is also switching in March or April.

I'm considering buying new Android Phone by the end of the year and then use both for a period of time and gradually move completely over to the Android Device.

I am waiting for the nest gen Android phones. I am waiting for a phone with genuinely better camera, and not equivalent.

Apparently Mobile FCU is starting roll out this week for open market devices.

They started with Finland on the 17th allegedly.

EDIT: My device has gotten it.

wp_ss_20171025_0002.thumb.png.c1b5b69a9b73002b21ea8edab562122f.png

I have some good news my friends :).

Windows 10 Build 15254 will be supported until December 2019.

15063 will be supported until June 2019 for Mobile

and 14393 will be supported until October 2018 for Mobile.

31 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I have some good news my friends :).

Windows 10 Build 15254 will be supported until December 2019.

15063 will be supported until June 2019 for Mobile

and 14393 will be supported until October 2018 for Mobile.

Nice! It means that despite pulling the plug, the company does indeed try to deliver 3 year of support.

I think the great news for Windows 10 Mobile is UWP app platform, as we get to enjoy continuous development at least on that, and not screwed over being stuck.

Of course, it would much better if the platform had active support with new features... but at least they didn't pull the plug straight and called it a day, screwing everyone.

Then again, Groove Music got the plug pull without any replacement beside buggy Spotify Windows Phone 8 app.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Then again, Groove Music got the plug pull without any replacement beside buggy Spotify Windows Phone 8 app.

I always use Deezer on my Lumia 650, the app can be buggy sometimes. But it gets regular updates at least so it has that going for it :) 

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

OLD Build (SOLD):

Retro gaming build:

I may continue to use my WM10 until the phone stops working. Unless Andromeda produces something then I will go tot that.

I have been using an Android phone from work for the last week (it has Android version 7.1.2) I absolutely hate it and I use the word hate very sparingly.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Checkout the Store app! Make sure it is fully updated. You'll notice some slick Fluent Design with its menu. Still in the work, but looks real nice.

microsoft-store-fluent-mobile-screen.jpg

(screenshot from the web.. but looks like that on my phone.. just in English, of course)

Something I noticed but didn't mention: Since last build the messaging app shows [ :-o ] icon when you have a text message, and [ :-) ] when you don't. First time I notice it.

If you wonder, a few update later, they fixed the text alignment issue. It is now all nice and neat and polished

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I guess it is the end.

Microsoft said that there is no "Windows 10 Mobile Insider", just "Windows 10 Insider", when people on Twitter asked Microsoft for when new builds for Windows 10 are coming up, and Microsoft simply said that theyr are doing security updates and bug fixes.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/have-we-seen-our-last-windows-10-mobile-insider-build

Analysis: The drought would indicate a massive slow down of new builds on the Insider program. I am thinking possibly 1 build on the Fast Ring per month, if we even gets that.

Fast Ring insiders don't even have the latest fixes from the cumulative update.

On 10/24/2017 at 5:09 AM, AluminiumTech said:

Until I get something else or the security support ends, whichever comes first

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 10/26/2017 at 1:34 PM, SansVarnic said:

I may continue to use my WM10 until the phone stops working. Unless Andromeda produces something then I will go tot that.

I have been using an Android phone from work for the last week (it has Android version 7.1.2) I absolutely hate it and I use the word hate very sparingly.

Update to this comment, I discovered the Microsoft Launcher for Android and have been using it pretty much since about week after my last comment ^^^

Though it has helped ... my experience with Android still leaves me very very wanting for something better. I simply cannot understand why people find this or claim this to be a better experience. Android is so .... ummmm ... whats the best word to describe this ?? It feels well toyish, like a child designed it. Runs smooth but the colors and balloon like everything makes it feel wrong. I cant type on the keyboard very well, everything in the setting is a chore to find and and and ... 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 11/24/2017 at 8:39 PM, SansVarnic said:

Update to this comment, I discovered the Microsoft Launcher for Android and have been using it pretty much since about week after my last comment ^^^

Though it has helped ... my experience with Android still leaves me very very wanting for something better. I simply cannot understand why people find this or claim this to be a better experience. Android is so .... ummmm ... whats the best word to describe this ?? It feels well toyish, like a child designed it. Runs smooth but the colors and balloon like everything makes it feel wrong. I cant type on the keyboard very well, everything in the setting is a chore to find and and and ... 

The fact that on Android you have keyboard replacement and launchers with millions of users, if not more on total, shows that the experience is not great on Android. However, our definition of experience is the OS itself. And we have chosen to try a platform that virtually no one cares to try, and try with a good open mind. But for the average user, their definition of experience are apps. Its is all about apps for them. They need the best app support, even if the OS is total junk. People don't want to miss anything. They want to have always contact with people to whatever comes next.. the next Facebook, the next chat app of the month, the next big mobile game. Sire, for many they would love a better Android experience and hence they customize it, where some even go further than keyboard replacement and launchers, they root their device just to get more customization options. But that is second for them. To some level, for many the interface is decided when shopping a phone. That is manufactures of Android phones, like Samsung, does its own GUI. It still shit in my book, but I guess for some, it is better for them, and look for an improved OS GUI experience, which again, highlights the crap interface of Android in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2017 at 1:39 AM, SansVarnic said:

I'm having issues with the launcher being janky and sometimes skipping animations for swiping to appdrawer even on a Snapdragon 820 device.

On 11/25/2017 at 1:39 AM, SansVarnic said:

I cant type on the keyboard very well, everything in the setting is a chore to find and and and ... 

Amen to that.

I am only hearing great things, and saw videos where it was running smoothly on phones.

As for SwiftKey, I don't think anything has changed since MS acquired them. MS seems to treat SwiftKey as an independent company, and not integrated in MS.

I forgot which site, but they also said the same, and the comment section said that they don't have any issues, and the reviews confirm this for both. So I am thinking that there seems to be a compatibility issue with you guys phones more than anything, unless the issues came in the recent versions.

The December 2017 Cumulative Security Update is available.

The update is  10.0.15254.124 and fixes the following:

• Updates Internet Explorer’s default visibility for the button that launches Microsoft Edge.
  • Addresses issue where users of SQL Server Reporting Services may not be able to use the scrollbar in a drop-down list.
  • Addresses issue that caused Windows Pro devices on the Current Branch for Business (CBB) to upgrade unexpectedly.
  • Addresses issue where applications may stop responding for customers who have internet or web proxies enabled using PAC script configurations. This is a result of a reentrancy deadlock in WinHTTP.dll. This can result in the following:

• Microsoft Outlook can't connect to Microsoft Office365.

• Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge can't render any content (including local computer content, local network content, or web content).

• Cisco Jabber stops responding, which blocks messaging and telephony features.

• Any application or service that relies on WinHTTP is affected.

• Addresses additional issues with updated time zone information.
  • Security updates to the Microsoft Scripting Engine, Microsoft Edge, and Windows Server.

In an attempt to keep my Lumia up to date in case I need it (backup phone) I've downloaded this update.