Windows 10 Mobile Insider Topic

GoodBytes
3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Beat me to it ...

Both Exciting and sad, though I knew that CShell would not run on the current L950 & L950XL specs. I will look forward to the planned last update they push though.

I was not aware that they named the CShell version project Andromeda .. hmmm 

no no.. 'Andromeda OS' is the project name for this flexible OS core (which is still Windows 10), at least from my understanding... assuming the leak is true of course.

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

no no.. 'Andromeda OS' is the project name for this flexible OS core (which is still Windows 10), at least from my understanding... assuming the leak is true of course.

Ah ok yes I read it wrong... thanks for pointing that out. Still excited though.  ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

*edit

"feature2" branch is the last update for the current W10M and though it sounds interesting it is the "end of line". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Ah ok yes I read it wrong... thanks for pointing that out. Still excited though.  ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

*edit

"feature2" branch is the last update for the current W10M and though it sounds interesting it is the "end of line". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yup!

For me, I am ok with this news, if I would have gotten another Android phone, it would most likely be on the same boat, with either the manufacture or my carrier blocking further Android updates (usually 2 years of support). I feel better, also, that actually, many people at work, with Android phone, have all sorts of problems with their car integration. Yes, some it works great, but funny enough I am part of the group of "it works fine" which is less, than 'has issues' or 'not working' group. I never knew that Bluetooth is such a shit standard to have such issues.

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

<snip>

I never knew that Bluetooth is such a shit standard to have such issues.

As much as I like BT it sucks .... I have strong hopes for the new BT 5 standard, connectivity is supposed to be much improved. I use BT mice and though its supposed to have 30ft (9.1m) distance, its losses connectivity from 3ft (1m) away when items block line of sight .... I digress. even my BT earphones have issues when my body is in the way with my phone.

Technology ლ( ¤ 益 ¤ )┐

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

No new build for desktop this week due to a serious bug (based on Tweet from MS), but mobile gets one!

Build 15240

What's new / fixed:

• New Emoji 5.0 introduced in Windows 10 now comes to mobile devices.
  • Support Chinese Lunar Calendar, with Calendar app being updated for it
  • Fixed the issue where trying to update Windows Store apps saved to your SD card resulted in an 8007000B error.
  • Fixed an issue where there was no icon shown for Windows Update for either new notifications or on the settings page under Settings > System > Notifications & actions.

Known issues:

• Occasionally, Narrator speaks phrases in English rather than the chosen non-English language.
  • There is a problem with the HP Elite X3 with wired docks where the portrait orientation setting is lost when the external display is disconnected and reconnected. A workaround for this is to reboot the phone after tapping the “OK” button instead of disconnecting and reconnecting. This workaround must be performed every time you connect to an external display you want to use with Continuum in portrait orientation.
  • When installing or updating a Windows Store app, you may see error 80070057. As a workaround, you can get the latest app by uninstalling the older version of the app from your device and reinstall latest version from Store.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/08/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-15240-mobile/#7DkGMoeqtsGSL3Lf.97

Yay new feature finally arrives. 

ง( ᐛ )ง

ᐠ( ᐛ )ᐟ

\\\(۶ ᐛ )۶////

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else been getting extremely slow Windows Store downloads lately? Updates literally download at a whopping 3 or 4 kB/s most of the time.

wp_ss_20170823_0001.png

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

4 minutes ago, MSWindowsinside said:

Anyone else been getting extremely slow Windows Store downloads lately? Updates literally download at a whopping 3 or 4 kB/s most of the time.

Wow things are huge on your phone. I would reduce the Display Scaling. :P

Ok to answer you, I have not noticed anything drastic. Maybe try and force reboot your phone (press and hold the power button until the phone restarts by itself (don't swipe to shutdown)

Talking about high DPI... did you guys try to reduce the DPI (Display Scaling) of your phone? I think the device looks much better with a lower DPI. I think it defaults one that is too high by default. Mine was set to 350%, but I set it to 300% and picked the option to show more columns on the Start Menu. Looks much better. Maybe it is just me.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Wow things are huge on your phone. I would reduce the Display Scaling. :P

Ok to answer you, I have not noticed anything drastic. Maybe try and force reboot your phone (press and hold the power button until the phone restarts by itself (don't swipe to shutdown)

This is on a Lumia 650, this is the default scaling and I'm not bothered with it to be honest :) Force reboot did nothing on both the Alcatel Idol 4s or Lumia 650 I have, maybe it's Europe's download server just being slow. I've already sent feedback for it.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

8 minutes ago, MSWindowsinside said:

This is on a Lumia 650, this is the default scaling and I'm not bothered with it to be honest :) Force reboot did nothing on both the Alcatel Idol 4s or Lumia 650 I have, maybe it's Europe's download server just being slow. I've already sent feedback for it.

That would make sense. Hopefully it will recover rather quickly by next week.

On 8/23/2017 at 0:59 PM, MSWindowsinside said:

<snippity snip snip>

I noticed it last week on mine, I thought it was my wireless acting up again ... 

On 8/23/2017 at 1:06 PM, GoodBytes said:

Talking about high DPI... did you guys try to reduce the DPI (Display Scaling) of your phone? I think the device looks much better with a lower DPI. I think it defaults one that is too high by default. Mine was set to 350%, but I set it to 300% and picked the option to show more columns on the Start Menu. Looks much better. Maybe it is just me.

I have mine set at 250%. Absolutely beautiful. Extra columns as well.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Build 15245!

What's fixed:

• This build also includes all the improvements from KB4034674.
  • We fixed an issue where the MTP service would sometimes crash when you disconnected your phone while a file transfer is in progress.
  • We fixed a spin loop that was occasionally triggered by deleting a VPN profile.
  • We fixed an issue where apps which call into the firewall (such as Microsoft Edge) have the potential of becoming deadlocked and the app hangs until you reboot your phone.
  • We fixed an issue in the routing engine used by apps like Maps where the initial direction was always set to North which could result in unnecessary route segments.
  • We fixed an issue where Silverlight apps that use GPS would either not start or crash.
  • We fixed an issue where a non-default Messaging app (e.g. Skype) would crash with an Access Denied error when changing Download messages settings.
  • We fixed an issue where the new Privacy Consent popup would block loading of apps which used the activity detection and pedometer sensors.
  • We fixed an issue where turning on/off Reset Protection could cause the phone to reboot.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/08/25/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-16275-pc-build-15245-mobile/#B6FZXyuEBa2zC5HB.97

• 2 weeks later...

Here is something that will interest all of you guys (really):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/p/coc-coc-browser/9nblggh4vtrt

I found it recently and have been using it and like it. It is from Vietnamese company (hence the name, which means "Knock Knock" :) ), but the app is full English.

It is a really good app!

What is it?

They ported Chromium web browser to Windows 10 Mobile. Oh yea! Seriously. No Google integration, has everything: Home page, frequent website on home page, Google default search, Extensions (although I haven't touch this feature yet), nice set of options. Real solid! Check it out! Yes, it is FREE, and has no Ads! And yes, it is a proper UWP Windows 10 mobile app, not Windows 8 Phone app.

Yes, it is faster than Edge. And yes, it displays websites properly (Although, many sites manages to detect that you are on a mobile phone, despite requesting a Desktop version of the website, and get the mobile website. This is probably because it does a request of the desktop version of the website, and not actually fool the web site of being desktop Edge on standard Windows 10 PC, as it does in Edge.)

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15250 for Mobile

Quite a bit this time around.

Hello Windows Insiders!

Today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16288 for PC to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring only (not Skip Ahead). As we mentioned previously, we are now at the point of the development cycle for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update where our focus is now on stabilization for release to the world. This means that we are releasing new builds to Insiders more quickly and that these builds will include mostly bug fixes. You’ll notice that this build continues to include a bunch of good bug fixes Insiders will enjoy.

On Build 16288, you will notice that the watermark at the lower right-hand corner of the desktop has disappeared. You will also see that the OS now reports as “Version 1709” which is the official version number for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update release. However, this is NOT the final build as we’re not done yet. We’re just now beginning the phase of checking in final code to prepare for the final release. So we will have more builds to release to Windows Insiders between now and then. And the desktop watermark may re-appear in these builds.

We are also releasing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 15250 to Insiders in the Fast ring.

What’s new in Build 15250 for Mobile

Two factor Authentication: We are excited to announce that we’ve introduced a two factor authentication unlock mechanism for Windows 10 Mobile. With two factor unlock, an enterprise can enforce an additional security layer to their sensitive data via an MDM policy. Once two factor unlock is enabled, a phone user will have to enter a numeric pin followed by an enterprise-defined factor to unlock the phone. An example of an enterprise-defined factor is a companion device such as an NFC tag which can be used to unlock a phone using our Companion Device Framework sample app and documentation.

AppLocker Improvements: A number of customers have provided feedback on the warning prompts for apps that are blocked by enterprise policies. We’ve improved the UX and updated the MDM SyncML scripts associated with the policies. Application restrictions can be configured by either the ApplicationManagement CSP or AppLocker CSP.

ApplicationManagement/ApplicationRestrictions
ApplicationManagement/ApplicationRestrictions

AppLocker/ApplicationLaunchRestrictions 
AppLocker/ApplicationLaunchRestrictions 

VPN Improvements: In the modern corporate workplace, mobility is mainstream and secure access to corporate data via VPN has become the norm. We are bringing a range of improvements and features that enhance the reliability of VPN on Windows 10 Mobile. The key updates to our VPN capability are:

• Lots of reliability improvements for VPN connectivity in Windows 10 Mobile.
  • IKEv2 Sleep and Power Enhancements.
    • VPN completes all pending actions before sleep and disconnects.
    • Automatic reconnection on resume.
  • Force tunneled improvements for UWP platform.
  • Proxy improvements for UWP VPN profile.
  • Enabling MMS usage when VPN is connected.

General changes, improvements, and fixes for Mobile

• We fixed a regression that was introduced in build 15245 where the fingerprint reader on the HP Elite X3 did not turn on the screen. You needed to turn on the screen before you could use Windows Hello.
  • We fixed some issues where the Maps app navigation would start navigating a route and after performing a reroute, would present a list of possible routes instead of adjusting to the current route.
  • We also improved map-matching particularly for routes using ferries.
  • We fixed an issue where an app using the routing engine (e.g. Maps) would timeout on providing the route if suspended for more than 30 seconds.
  • We fixed an issue where tiles on the Start screen would occasionally be blank.
  • We fixed an issue where a VPN profile that was created via the VPN Management API would always be a dial-up profile.
  • We fixed an issue with the MDM policy used to control Build Flighting by Mobile Enterprise.
  • We fixed a couple of navigation issues when changing from highway to highway (occasionally, signposts were copied from the original highway to the destination highway) and highway to non-highway (erroneous instruction to “enter highway”).
  • We fixed a rare issue where the user’s call history was shown as corrupt after an upgrade.

No downtime for Hustle-As-A-Service,
Dona <3

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The 2 factor authentication is working great! When I cleaned install Windows 10 on my SP3, I used it, and it was working like a charm. Super fast too. Near instant on both directions! (Note: I have the Microsoft Authenticator app installed). You just get a pop-up at the top, saying if you allow it or not. Pick Allow it, and in less than a second, the PC picked it up... and both aren't interconnected in some way, beside using the same Microsoft Account, and Skype SMS feature, of course, but that is not related.

Map will give you bus, ferry, train schedules, and feature improved Fluent Design.

Already those on PC under the Skip Ahead will be getting it, so it will come to the Mobile real soon to Insiders.

untitled-1.png.pagespeed.ce.X29ne2fe-Y.p

Source: https://www.onmsft.com/news/latest-windows-10-maps-app-on-skip-ahead-provides-bus-ferry-train-schedules-more

Has anybody used Microsoft Wallet to pay for things?

And, any idea of when it's coming to more countries?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 9/23/2017 at 8:47 AM, AluminiumTech said:

Has anybody used Microsoft Wallet to pay for things?

And, any idea of when it's coming to more countries?

To my knowledge it is US only, and so I can't use it. I tried to fool it, but it doesn't work.

You need to put your billing address (credit card address), and it doesn't accept Canadian formatted ZIP code, and can't manually enter a province (there is a selection box for States).

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

To my knowledge it is US only, and so I can't use it. I tried to fool it, but it doesn't work.

You need to put your billing address (credit card address), and it doesn't accept Canadian formatted ZIP code, and can't manually enter a province (there is a selection box for States).

It may be coming to more countries. Potentially. idk yet tho.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

It may be coming to more countries. Potentially. idk yet tho.

Until the Surface phone is out, I doubt it will.

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Until the Surface phone is out, I doubt it will.

They publicly commented on MS Wallet coming to more countries.

They said they got the feedback and loved the enthusiasm so idk.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about any of but since the last update I have been getting weird random restarts. I cant narrow down the cause but I am getting to the point where I might do a refresh of my phone. But then again its has been a long while since I done one though at least maybe 2yrs? hmm.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Not sure about any of but since the last update I have been getting weird random restarts. I cant narrow down the cause but I am getting to the point where I might do a refresh of my phone. But then again its has been a long while since I done one though at least maybe 2yrs? hmm.

You are alone. I also have problem and random restarts.

I have Edge and Maps that consumes a lot of battery life, I have the same random restarts, I have Bluetooth issues where Groove would not go the next track when finish playing the current one unless told so (no issue if not using Bluetooth). Once I could not adjust the Media volume control when using Maps on speakers phone preventing me to increase the volume. Phone reboot fixed the problem.

This last build is very strange. I don't get you have these issues. It is like they broke stuff on purpose. Not saying they did, but strange.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You are alone. I also have problem and random restarts.

I have Edge and Maps that consumes a lot of battery life, I have the same random restarts, I have Bluetooth issues where Groove would not go the next track when finish playing the current one unless told so (no issue if not using Bluetooth). Once I could not adjust the Media volume control when using Maps on speakers phone preventing me to increase the volume. Phone reboot fixed the problem.

This last build is very strange. I don't get you have these issues. It is like they broke stuff on purpose. Not saying they did, but strange.

I feel as if you typed this quickly ... lol 

I was hoping wasn't the only one. The only thing I hate about refreshing the phone is re-installing everything... and if an app I have was dropped from the store that is lost to time .... so I think I will a) wait for the next update or b) wait for the next bug fix.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER