Quantum Break will not be coming to Steam - Windows Store Exclusive

26 minutes ago, Takadi said:

Microsoft is just panicking cause of Vulkan. Forgive them hahahaha

Vulkan might as well be a gas cloud of farts at this point. DX12 already has support.

Edit: I really wish it was possible to multiquote...

Well, since it's part of the Microsoft/Xbox/Windows 10 eco system, it would be hard to do it without the Windows Store. There is no synergy between Steam and Xbox Live. So part of the package is that games for Xbox become available through the Windows Store.

It can hardly be surprising that Microsoft also doesn't want to pay a 30% Steam tax. If I was a developer and I could avoid giving a third of my shit away needlessly, I'd do it. Most do it grudgingly because they have no choice. 

With that being said, I am for a universal store, so this will be create more fragmentation but everyone wants their piece of the pie and Valve is certainly not gonna waive the 30% tax for Microsoft. At best Microsoft could negotiate a reduction but Microsoft will prefer the current 0% of doing it through the Windows Store.

There is no way for everybody to win here.

31 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Microsoft came up with the idea. And i know DX12 support goes back quite a bit, but making it right away DX12 exclusive. Not a good idea...

The game uses an api that is fully supported by, uuuh, uuuh, oh yeah, NOTHING.

not a single gpu fully supports it! Why release it for that?!

This is not a good argument. GPUs as far back as Fermi support the important parts of DX12. There is no problem in going DX12. They probably don't use the minor features that current GPUs don't support anyway. 

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

Vulkan might as well be a gas cloud of farts at this point. DX12 already has support.

You can multiquote. Hit the little + button next to the reply button.

1 minute ago, RagnarokDel said:

You can multiquote... It's the + sign next to the regular quote icon..

Vulkan will have all future and probably current games supporting Vulkan and not DX12.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

16 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Its not about being lazy, the MS store is very limiting when compared to pretty much any other kind of client, unless they can get lots of devs on board, i don't see it having much of a future for regular users, except for the people who also own an xbox one due to cross buy.

Except the Window Store is not the steam replacement in this example. The Xbox app is.

10 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, Valve for selling only on steam.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, EA. For selling only on origin.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, Ubisoft*. for selling only on Uplay. Actually you can buy games on steam but you still gotta use Uplay.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, Blizzard. for selling only on battle.net

Everyone gets a Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you

PS: Quantum Break is a xbox exclusive. Notice how I didnt specify one.

It's called the Xbox app. The only thing missing I believe, dont quote me on that is the in game overlay. Hell you can even record footage in the xbox app.

Actually you can buy all EA games on Uplay, and all Ubisoft games on Origin. Only Valve (and Blizzard) are locking their games exclusively to their own platform. People give Valve WAAAAAAY too much credit. Just put a shortcut in Steam if you miss the overlay and screenshot function that much.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, RagnarokDel said:

It's very possible to multiquote. Press the giant "+" on posts to do it.

Rest in peace Quantum Break on PC, let's light a candle for the 1000 people who'll actually buy this game. MS will use this failure as an example of how weak the PC as a gaming platform is.

144Hz goodness

Just now, Samfisher said:

You can multiquote... It's the + sign next to the regular quote icon..

Vulkan will have all future and probably current games supporting Vulkan and not DX12.

yeah but you cant copy paste a quote and thefore you cant edit and quote something else. You have to read everything and their mother then make a post.

2 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

That's the problem, you can't do that.

Usually you can. With Battlefield it was hell, due to the stupid webpage crap. Uplay games can easily be run directly from Steam short cut. I see no reason for that not to be the case for this game either.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

30 minutes ago, Takadi said:

Microsoft is just panicking cause of Vulkan. Forgive them hahahaha

this is not about APIs.

They don't want to split their revenue with gog/origin/steam etc...

They want to be the gatekeeper because that's the way they can monetize PC in the way that they monetize Xbox. So they will make xbox into a service. You buy your game and you can play it either on Microsoft's console or their PC Windows OS.

The only difference is that on PC there is open competition so gog, steam, origin, windows store etc are all free to monetize the platform... but they have to compete with each other. i.e. they have to do it the hard way. As long as that open competition is there then windows store is not a bad thing. It's actually inevitable. On the other hand if they start closing things off to make life difficult for the other stores then we are in trouble.

Just now, Sakkura said:

This is not a good argument. GPUs as far back as Fermi support the important parts of DX12. There is no problem in going DX12. They probably don't use the minor features that current GPUs don't support anyway. 

What exacly are the "important parts"?

Async shaders seem like a big deal and there is no hardware support for it on nvidia's side so that's noet one of them. Yes nvidia does have support for it, but that's software, and there is no improvement compared to dx11. If you look at AMD it can like double the FPS in some cases.

For the rest, i don't know. I can't think of anything that's important that only DX12 supports. Yes there are some nice things, but the only things i can think of only improve visuals and the game can run perfectly fine with such things turned off... Correct me if i'm wrong tho, go ahead.

And the fact there is no complete support will force them to give options to turn off every DX12 item that isn't supported by every card that's at this moment out there. Because if they don't, the game won't work, or it will have to fall back on software emulation. And that will usually kill performance. Like PhysX for example :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

11 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

well I dont know about Origin but Uplay does sell other games. 4 of them are in the top sellers even.

Street Fighter: Capcom

Rise of the tomb raider: Square Enix

The Witcher 3: CDPR

Just Cause 3: Square Enix

-snip-

Well i'm happy to see one of them seems to get it right.

I haven't used Uplay since watch_dogs so it looks like thing have changed on their side. At least 1 step in the right direction. And by ubisoft, suprisingly.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, Humbug said:

this is not about APIs.

They don't want to split their revenue with gog/origin/steam etc...

They want to be the gatekeeper because that's the way they can monetize PC in the way that they monetize Xbox. So they will make xbox into a service. You buy your game and you can play it either on Microsoft's console or their PC Windows OS.

The only difference is that on PC there is open competition so gog, steam, origin, windows store etc are all free to monetize the platform... but they have to compete with each other. i.e. they have to do it the hard way. As long as that open competition is there then windows store is not a bad thing. It's actually inevitable. On the other hand if they start closing things off to make life difficult for the other stores then we are in trouble.

MS won't try to close things off. Being an open platform is what makes Windows work. They can't turn Windows into a gated platform without completely killing it.

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

For the rest, i don't know. I can't think of anything that's important that only DX12 supports. Yes there are some nice things, but the only things i can think of only improve visuals and the game can run perfectly fine with such things turned off... Correct me if i'm wrong tho, go ahead.

draw calls.

16 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

tolerate GoG

I mean, "tolerate" makes it sound like GoG has a lot of issues / is mostly disliked by the community.

I think its the opposite. at least for me, the only reason I don't use it as much as steam is the library. literally.

I like GoG more than Steam. they really emphasize consumers as priority. although, because they are so anti-DRM we don't get AAA games like steam on there.

I'm ok with it tbh. I purchased TW3 from their store, would of purchased TW2 if it hadn't been a gift (steam-key)

13 minutes ago, Derangel said:

And they need full DX12 support for this game because?

Well why would they release a game for an api that's not fully supported?

Support for it is atm all over the place and it's not really clear which card supports what, and what matters and what not, and which are in the game.

That's a lot to figure out before you can even consider buying the game. And we are active in the tech world, just imagine what a normal person would do when he tries to figure this all out. It's going to be a disaster if they don't make it very very clear how it's going to be support wise.

I don't really see why everyone's mad. Afterall Windows Store is preinstalled so you don't even have to download "broken softwares" to play this game

From a Business standpoint I totally understand that Microsoft doesnt want to give steam or anyone else a cut when they already have a similar thing deployed

Just now, samcool55 said:

Well why would they release a game for an api that's not fully supported?

Support for it is atm all over the place and it's not really clear which card supports what, and what matters and what not, and which are in the game.

That's a lot to figure out before you can even consider buying the game. And we are active in the tech world, just imagine what a normal person would do when he tries to figure this all out. It's going to be a disaster if they don't make it very very clear how it's going to be support wise.

You are seriously overthinking everything. Why do you need to figure out anything? As long as you meet the requirements they very clearly spell out why do you need to think about anything deeper than that?

11 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

What exacly are the "important parts"?

Async shaders seem like a big deal and there is no hardware support for it on nvidia's side so that's noet one of them. Yes nvidia does have support for it, but that's software, and there is no improvement compared to dx11. If you look at AMD it can like double the FPS in some cases.

And the fact there is no complete support will force them to give options to turn off every DX12 item that isn't supported by every card that's at this moment out there. Because if they don't, the game won't work, or it will have to fall back on software emulation. And that will usually kill performance. Like PhysX for example :P

The vast improvements to CPU multithreading and draw call performance.

Async shaders is a lesser feature that a game may or may not rely on. If Quantum Break doesn't use it, who cares if Nvidia cards have poor support for it? Same goes for the other lesser features of DX12, particularly feature level 12_1. Tiled resources, conservative rasterization, yada yada. All nice stuff, none of which is necessary for a DirectX 12 game to implement.

Question guys.. How does that affect you that is not on Steam? What are the downside?

I only see upsides. Steam DRM validation is slow, if steam is closed, it takes a long time to startup the game. It would promotes a monopoly. Steam has been going downhill due to lack of competition. Game shortcuts made by Steam can't be pinned on the task bar or start menu, because Valve has never fixed their invalid shortcuts bug since Steam started.

3 minutes ago, Derangel said:

You are seriously overthinking everything. Why do you need to figure out anything? As long as you meet the requirements they very clearly spell out why do you need to think about anything deeper than that?

No i'm not.

I'll give you an example.

Dx12 has many features, one of them is Raster Order Views. At this moment it's supported by a handful of intel gpu's and maxwell 2nd gen.

And let's say that feature is required for running the game.

But you are for example on i don't know, an AMD card, the 390X, which doesn't support it. Then what?

Will it be like "bad luck, upgrade" or will it fall back on software emulation, and probably killing performance and making the game perform bad, or even unplayable?

And the 390X does have Dx12 support.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Question guys.. How does that affect you that is not on Steam? What are the downside?

For some reason people believe it's a good idea to only support a single digital store.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Refund policy, consolidation of games, established friends list and community, wide knowledge base of users for any issues, regular sales.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.