Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LinusTech

Intel 4960X, 4930K, 4820K Unboxing

My point was that a hyperthreaded core isn't worse than a single core, which is what those benchmarks show.

In a case where only 1 core is being utilized then a single hyperthreaded core may outperform a traditional core seeing as it is fed twice. A point I didn't bring up earlier, but still I guess is a point towards hyperthreading tech

A hyperthreaded core is no different than a physical core. The threads are just different. In the case you showed, a single thread from a single core will perform better than a thread from a hyperthreaded core.

Cinebench didn't  measure how a single thread fared when all threads were on load--it measured how it fared on it's own so the results are from a thread uninhibited by another thread hogging it's resources.

Edits: Of course a core with hyperthreading would perform better than the same core without HT. Otherwise, HT would be pointless.

The problem is that you said a hyperthreaded core instead of a core with HT.

One refers to a virtual core (a thread) and the other refers to a physical core.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A hyperthreaded core is no different than a physical core. The threads are just different. In the case you showed, a single thread from a single core will perform better than a thread from a hyperthreaded core.

Cinebench didn't  measure how a single thread fared when all threads were on load--it measured how it fared on it's own so the results are from a thread uninhibited by another thread hogging it's resources.

Another thread can't hog it's resources in theory though as each thread is only utilizing the parts of a cpu clock that the other thread isn't. Particularly with modern schedulers the performance difference is near non existent

[Project] Direct Build log- http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/45117-project-direct/#entry592575

Twitter- @MartoLTT

My point was that a hyperthreaded core isn't worse than a single core, which is what those benchmarks show.

In a case where only 1 core is being utilized then a single hyperthreaded core may outperform a traditional core seeing as it is fed twice. A point I didn't bring up earlier, but still I guess is a point towards hyperthreading tech

Of course a core with hyperthreading would perform better than the same core without HT. Otherwise, HT would be pointless.

I never said hyperthreading is bad. But you try to argue that hyperthreaded thread is as fast as non-hyperthreaded core. It isn't.

That's why we can't see 100% scaling from 4 to 8 threads (i5 vs i7).

Also i7 is faster single-thread than i5 because i7 has 2mb more l3 cache which makes it that tiny bit more suited towards long calculations as it can save 2mb of data more in l3 cache which is a lot faster than RAM.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

They will be once games start using more than 4 cores.

A 4770K has 8 threads, and even a 4670K has such powerful cores multi-core optimization doesn't really matter.

•Intel Core i7 4790K •MSI Z97-G45 Gaming •2xMSI GTX 970 SC Twin Frozr V •NZXT Respire T40 •2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 •Corsair RM650 •Samsung 850 EVO 250GB •Seagate Barracuda 3TB •Fractal Design Define R5 •Qnix QX2710

I wish they'd just start programming for n threads, where n > 1.

That way more is better!

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I wish they'd just start programming for n threads, where n > 1.

That way more is better!

There are very few things you can program for an arbitrary number of threads, and a lot of things can't be programmed for multiple threads.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking