PS4-ready VR Headset

TopWargamer

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-03-sony-set-to-go-big-with-virtual-reality-on-playstation-4

Sony plans to enter the virtual reality gaming space in a big way with PlayStation 4, Eurogamer can reveal. Amid the growing popularity of the Oculus Rift VR headset among the development community and a small number of gamers, Sony has been working on a rival device for its next-gen console, and it is on track to be revealed in 2014.

. . .

Sony also has form with headmounted displays. The £1000 HMZ-T2 is a personal 3D viewer that can be used with 3D games and HD movies. It includes an OLED 720p panel for each eye that renders 3D pictures in high-contrast detail. Eurogamer reviewed its predecessor, the HMZ-T1, in late 2011. The Oculus Rift performs much better than the HMZ-T2 for games, and Sony hopes to one-up the rival device with its own offering. Eurogamer understands Sony's VR headset was set to appear in some form at German show Gamescom last week, but was pulled. We now expect it to be unveiled next year.

I think the Rift looks awesome, and I'm really excited for it, but competition was expected, and the competition is coming. This is a good and bad thing. Bad (for Oculus) because Oculus won't be pulling in all of the VR gamers. Good because competition will keep each company working on VR headsets on their toes and will keep on innovating in this field.

All in all, the future for VR gaming is looking pretty bright. Thoughts on Sony coming into the VR space? 

EDIT: I would just like to point out that in the 2nd part of my quote, that is NOT the VR goggles that Eurogamer/Sony is talking about. That's just a VR goggle that is already out and you can get for $600-$700 on Amazon. It's just showing that Sony has some kind of experience in the VR space (I guess). I highly doubt that the one they're talking about will be that expensive, especially if they want to compete with the Rift. 

COMIC SANS

It can only be a good thing.

Having Virtual Reality gear become popular is vital to its continued evolution. Making VR tech on consoles (if it works well) is a surefire way to get mass-market attention.

Also, Oculus had the opportunity to partner with Sony and or Microsoft to bring their device to one or both of the respective company's platforms. They chose not to - if they suffer financially as a result, it's solely their fault in my opinion.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

its how much 0_o 

Expect a cut down cheaper version to rival the Oculus within the next 12-16 months.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

its how much 0_o 

That price is for the one that is already out. You can get one on Amazon for $600-$700 though. Gizmodo was just using that as an example that Sony has kind of experience in the VR space (I guess). So I highly doubt that the new one they're making will be that expensive. 

COMIC SANS

lol, I remember this from ages ago, look at the previous articles date when it was first talked about

Published Saturday, 26 November 2011

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-sony-hmz-t1-personal-3d-viewer-review

That's an entirely different device. It's a personal 3D viewer - a halfway attempt at a device like Oculus Rift, but only outputting a 3D picture. No accelerometers etc.

That's an entirely different device. It's a personal 3D viewer - a halfway attempt at a device like Oculus Rift, but only outputting a 3D picture. No accelerometers etc.

it's a revision of the version I was talking about, big whoop :)

it's a revision of the version I was talking about, big whoop :)

Not exactly.

The HMZ-T1 and T2 were quite simply a unique way of viewing 3D content. They were meant to be a solution to the irregularities, issues and annoyances found with consumer focused 3D displays. They were, however, only a display device. The device rumoured to be announced in 2014 is a fully-fledged virtual reality headset meaning that although it is a display device, it is also a method of control.

They may well use some of the tech or experience gained with the previous devices, but it is highly unlikely that this will be a directly related product.

Its so expensive. But wonder if it will support games and perform as good as the Oculus Rift.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Source:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/sony-readying-ps4-virtual-reality-headset-showcased-tgs-2013/54960.html

We all knew this was going to happen ever since the Oculus Rift came out and so many people backed it.

The tech giant Sony is about to jump on board the VR train and come with a VR Headset for their upcoming PS4.

Not a lot of information so far, but it looks sleek and according to VR-Zone, it's probably going to be costly.

Thoughts? Will Sony trump the Oculus Rift in terms of quality, performance, and overall immersion within a gaming world?

I personally think that this a great thing. The more companies compete with each other, the better products will be.

Been around since the beginning of LTT & the forums, but mostly just lurk!

it looks very very uncomfortable

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Let's all remember what exactly happens when you try to rush something out to market as a response.

blackberry_storm_9520.jpg

Personally have no interest in 3D or VR.  I don't understand the appeal.  I want to relax when I play games, not get super active and involved (which is where VR is heading with things like the Omni).  Although to be fair, I only have experience with 3D in cinemas and no experience with VR.  Am I really missing much?

Personally have no interest in 3D or VR.  I don't understand the appeal.  I want to relax when I play games, not get super active and involved (which is where VR is heading with things like the Omni).  Although to be fair, I only have experience with 3D in cinemas and no experience with VR.  Am I really missing much?

You obviously have not seen 3D boobs, yet.

;):P

You obviously have not seen 3D boobs, yet.

;):P

I prefer real life ones  ;)

It can only be a good thing.

Having Virtual Reality gear become popular is vital to its continued evolution. Making VR tech on consoles (if it works well) is a surefire way to get mass-market attention.

Also, Oculus had the opportunity to partner with Sony and or Microsoft to bring their device to one or both of the respective company's platforms. They chose not to - if they suffer financially as a result, it's solely their fault in my opinion.

*Also, Sony and Microsoft had(and still have) the opportunity to partner with Oculus to bring the rift to their platforms. They chose not to - if they suffer financially as a result, it's solely their fault in my opinion.

Fixed that for you.

Oculus was and is always open for console support but Sony apparently wants to keep the platform closed shut and get all the profit for themselves, as usual. They only need a software patch to recognize the rift, thats it. And if Sony doesn't let competition in and makes their hmd ps4 exclusive then nothing will change. You'd have 1 hmd for each platform with no direct competition.

*Also, Sony and Microsoft had(and still have) the opportunity to partner with Oculus to bring the rift to their platforms. They chose not to - if they suffer financially as a result, it's solely their fault in my opinion.

Fixed that for you.

Oculus was and is always open for console support but Sony apparently wants to keep the platform closed shut and get all the profit for themselves, as usual. They only need a software patch to recognize the rift, thats it. And if Sony doesn't let competition in and makes their hmd ps4 exclusive then nothing will change. You'd have 1 hmd for each platform with no direct competition.

Actually, Oculus themselves stated quite some time ago now that they had no interest in supporting consoles.

Actually, Oculus themselves stated quite some time ago now that they had no interest in supporting consoles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyJKH76i9Uo&t=4m7s

They made pretty clear what they think is the best platform and the one with the most potential for VR: PC and Mobile(android). but I never heard them say they don't want access to the console market, and I've watched/read my share of oculus interviews, trust me.

What they might've said is that consoles are "not a focus" for them:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/21/oculus-rift-planned-for-pc-and-mobile-consoles-not-a-focus/

Here you go:

@TopWargamer you might want to post this as an update

Apparently it's not nearly as good as Oculus.

It's uncomfortable, several times more expensive than Oculus' expected price and the 3D experience is really bad.

Pros are that it's wireless... unless you consider the large battery pack you have wired to it and it can be used with an android phone via MHL, a feature which the Oculus team are planning to implement soon.