PC/Console Graphics comparison

With the exception of the PCMR members who are actually really hardcore anti-console, most of us didn't even have anything to get over. The whole PCMR thing is the result of a haywire inferiority complex.

This is now all on my steam, literally both stories you typed. Lol. I love you KemoKa.

This is now all on my steam, literally both stories you typed. Lol. I love you KemoKa.

Thanks, I luv you too Moondrelor. Hugs! :D

Praise Gaben!

No, not to everyone. Some people just want to sit down and play games. They don't want to build or buy a desktop PC for gaming and they don't need or want to have the best graphics with the highest frame rates, nor do they buy tons of games on a regular basis. They like to keep PC tasks and gaming separate. That is their preference, it is neither right nor wrong and not born of ignorance either. The only ignorance is us not respecting their personal preferences, whether we agree with them or not.

Note: I'm not talking about console fan boys who believe they are the bees knees of gaming graphics etc. I'm talking about people who simply prefer to enjoy their games on console (casual gamers). 

None-the-less. You are still paying more for that "I just want a console not a PC." It's pointless. "Sit down and play games." Is easily done on PC just as much as Console. The point is. Consoles are dying, and everyone see's it except for the people who are hellbent on staying a console gamer.

With the exception of the PCMR members who are actually really hardcore anti-console, most of us didn't even have anything to get over. The whole PCMR thing is the result of a haywire inferiority complex.

-snip-

Agree with you on this. 

My view is that it's been turned into a platform vs platform (hardware vs hardware) argument. The problem with this is the various aspects of both platforms will apply or appeal to some people and not to others. Too often in our augments, we try to blanket everyone into one category or another, but the real world doesn't work that way and such arguments fall apart. 

The common thread among gamers, regardless of platform, is the games. As for which platform is "better" is dependent on the individual, ultimately.

We can look at in which ways each platform is objectively better than the other (graphics, frame rates, hardware specs etc.), but the ways in which each platform is better for a certain individual primarily boils down to preferences and subjective reasons. Such reasons are neither right nor wrong. It is a choice based on preference.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

None-the-less. You are still paying more for that "I just want a console not a PC." It's pointless. "Sit down and play games." Is easily done on PC just as much as Console. The point is. Consoles are dying, and everyone see's it except for the people who are hellbent on staying a console gamer.

Not necessarily. It's not the same in every case. For us, it's easily done on PC, but for my friend, it's not. Above all, it's a matter of preference. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Not necessarily. It's not the same in every case. For us, it's easily done on PC, but for my friend, it's not. Above all, it's a matter of preference. 

Well, I supposed this is a good point.

It's like me going from PC to Mac.

I don't know what the hell I'm doing on a Mac OS.

But then again it's my ignorance to not learn Mac and call it not as good as PC because I'm too ignorant to learn Mac. Lol

But then again it's my ignorance to not learn Mac and call it not as good as PC because I'm too ignorant to learn Mac. Lol

Don't worry, I can vouch for you. Being too ignorant to learn to use OS X isn't that condemn-able. You didn't miss much.

My friend doesn't claim "consoles are better than PC, period". He claims a console is better "for him" and he is right. It's also not necessarily a matter of 'ignorance to learn', not in every case. My friend doesn't NEED to learn about PC's. I have shown him the benefits and qualities of PC gaming. he is aware of and acknowledges where PC is superior. Yet he still prefers to game on his Xboxone. It's not a choice born of ignorance, it is a choice based on preference. There's a difference. ;) 

Where ignorance comes in is when you refuse to educate yourself and still call something inferior, even though you don't know. Like in the example you gave with not learning Mac, yet still calling it "not as good". ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

My friend doesn't claim "consoles are better than PC, period". He claims a console is better "for him" and he is right. It's also not necessarily a matter of 'ignorance to learn', not in every case. My friend doesn't NEED to learn about PC's. I have shown him the benefits and qualities of PC gaming. he is aware of and acknowledges where PC is superior. Yet he still prefers to game on his Xboxone. It's not a choice born of ignorance, it is a choice based on preference. There's a difference. ;)

Where ignorance comes in is when you refuse to educate yourself and still call something inferior, even though you don't know. Like in the example you gave with not learning Mac, yet still calling it "not as good". ;)

Well, this kind of thing can be twisted and turned in many ways. I'd say he is preferring his inferior console because he is so used to it. People dislike change and I feel like that's what it will always boil down to. The subconscious fear of change. Those who gamed on Consoles are used to it, they feel out of place gaming on a PC, so they don't give it the chance it deserves, which really gets to me. Everything deserves a chance. Not just show the person, but let them try gaming or using a PC and after a few weeks of using a PC, if they still don't like it, then so be it, they use consoles.

I'm not trying to force anyone to PC but you make a lot of good points, but on either side of console or pc, each argument presented can always be turned quickly. Lol. Though I agree with your statements, I am still sticking with that, people fear change and do not wish to change until those around them have made the change.

Also, I appreciate you keeping it a civil debate, and not going salty like most people who defend consoles. It's always nice to have a debate, not an argument. Though my brain today isn't at it's best mood for debating today. Haha.

"Pre-built PCs & OEM PCs". When their prices get down to this price range / value for money, to me, they're OK. And before anyone starts the "yeah, but finding a GPU that works with a 199£ HP Z400 with16Gb of ram & 4c/8t Xeon W3550 / etc. ain't that easy...". It's no SFF one with those stupid PCI-E x4 / 25W (instead of 75 W) motherboards. (12 month warranty?. Bloody hell, here they usually gives those 3 to 6 month warranty. And prices that are 1.5x - 2x higher)

So @Slick & @LinusTech did a video some time ago,

where the consoles could barely keep up with an underclocked GTX 480.

What is the status now?

People are saying that they perform as Radeon HD 7870, which is quite powerful.

I would love to see an updated video, on graphics/fps comparison on newer titles, and to see if the consoles have started performing better.

full 1080p@30.

And what level of hardware you need to get the same performance.

Are they more worth the money now than before?

they didnt magically improve if that's what you're asking.

Well, this kind of thing can be twisted and turned in many ways. I'd say he is preferring his inferior console because he is so used to it. People dislike change and I feel like that's what it will always boil down to. The subconscious fear of change. Those who gamed on Consoles are used to it, they feel out of place gaming on a PC, so they don't give it the chance it deserves, which really gets to me. Everything deserves a chance. Not just show the person, but let them try gaming or using a PC and after a few weeks of using a PC, if they still don't like it, then so be it, they use consoles.

I'm not trying to force anyone to PC but you make a lot of good points, but on either side of console or pc, each argument presented can always be turned quickly. Lol. Though I agree with your statements, I am still sticking with that, people fear change and do not wish to change until those around them have made the change.

Also, I appreciate you keeping it a civil debate, and not going salty like most people who defend consoles. It's always nice to have a debate, not an argument. Though my brain today isn't at it's best mood for debating today. Haha.

As long as choice exists, people will argue. ;) 

I think too often people get clouded by what they prefer and that fuels their bias, rather than looking at the facts of the situation. I see no reason to be uncivil. Someone else choosing to game on a console doesn't effect my life or my choice to game on PC in any profound way, so I have no reason to get wound up about it like some people do. Let's look at the facts and discuss the facts, plain and simple. No beating around the bush and stop putting groups of people under defined blankets that do not pertain to them. ;)

Just to share more info about my friend to get better context of his situation; Money is not an issue for him. He has a Microsoft Surface Pro he uses for everyday stuff (browsing, banking, word docs, youtube, minor CAD work, etc.). He needs it to be portable to take around the house and on the road/for work if need be. He values having his PC as a portable device, that is one of his needs/preferences. So the argument of "a PC can do it all" does not apply or appeal to him. Likewise, he dislikes the idea of doing his regular PC tasks and/or "work" on the TV (if said gaming PC was hooked up to his TV). When it comes to gaming, he doesn't play a lot. Not like me for several hours every day. His daily schedule is too busy for that. He is a casual gamer. He also doesn't buy a lot of games. Not because of the cost but because he likes to sit down and take his time playing each game through to completion. He usually only buys 1 or 2 games per year. At the end of the day, he just wants to sit down, turn the thing on and play some games. He values good graphics, but doesn't express the need to have "the best" graphics nor does he express the need to have all his games run at 60fps+. The games look good enough and are playable to his standards.

It is partly related to what he is comfortable and used to, you're right on that point. But as you can see, there's a lot more to it than that. ;)

By contrast; just this week, my neighbor called me up to talk and said he wants to get into PC gaming. I helped him come up with a build that fits his budget and this weekend will be helping him build it. :D Different strokes for different folks. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Different strokes for different folks. ;)

Well, I took that sentence a bit in the wrong direction. LOL

Anyways, not using this as a counter towards any of what you said here, but just like how he has a PC, and a Console, he could simply have, a low budget PC, and a high budget PC. The concept doesn't really change much. I feel like, if people were to take the word "Console" and "PC" out of the dictionary. Then what we are looking at is two pieces of hardware. Which honestly neither are very different from each other. Besides OS. Stick someone on a "PC" and hide it behind a cabinet. Let them game on it, then put them on a "Console". I can bet 9/10 they wouldn't get the difference. Given that you have the game loaded before they notice the OS. If you see where I'm going with this.

So in many ways I agree with you, but maybe my head is just a little strong sided on the perks of a PC vs a Console. So I will always lean more towards the PC. I see the Consoles place, I do. I really do, but I also see a time where PC's take over that place. Which isn't very far from now.

Consoles are never going to be these graphical powerhouses compared to higher PCs.  However, consoles should be only about story and gameplay not graphics.

Why should console games be about story and gameplay? All games should be about story and gameplay...

Well, I took that sentence a bit in the wrong direction. LOL

Anyways, not using this as a counter towards any of what you said here, but just like how he has a PC, and a Console, he could simply have, a low budget PC, and a high budget PC. The concept doesn't really change much. I feel like, if people were to take the word "Console" and "PC" out of the dictionary. Then what we are looking at is two pieces of hardware. Which honestly neither are very different from each other. Besides OS. Stick someone on a "PC" and hide it behind a cabinet. Let them game on it, then put them on a "Console". I can bet 9/10 they wouldn't get the difference. Given that you have the game loaded before they notice the OS. If you see where I'm going with this.

So in many ways I agree with you, but maybe my head is just a little strong sided on the perks of a PC vs a Console. So I will always lean more towards the PC. I see the Consoles place, I do. I really do, but I also see a time where PC's take over that place. Which isn't very far from now.

Lol, yeah that statement can have many different meanings. ;)

I too, will always lean more towards the PC, because it has and does what I like and want. I want the best graphics and I want 60fps+ whenever possible. Those aspects hold high value and appeal to me greatly, where as they simply don't with my friend. I had him playing Portal 2 (which he'd never seen before) on my $200 portable Linux machine on his TV, max settings at 1080p 60fps+. He was using an xbox 360 controller and having a blast. He admits the game looks and runs great, but that's not enough to win him over. It's not the platform though. It's the games as well, that have influence over him. Many of the games he likes are Xbox exclusives. I, myself have considered buying an Xbox one for a few exclusives. If the games are good enough to stand on their own merits, the platform matters very little - especially when you don't have choice.

But... when I think of spending $400+ on a console, I then think of what kind of upgrades or how good of a PC I could build with the same amount of money and give my head a shake. :P 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

So basically it's still the same?

A 750 Ti is all you need, to perform on all games, similarly to what PS4 does?

Also This adaptive Adaptive scaling, does that mean, that Fallout only runs at 1080p when it isn't in a demanding environment, and scales down on explosions and stuff?

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

A 750 Ti is all you need, to perform on all games, similarly to what PS4 does?

Regardless, if you're going to go the route of building a custom gaming PC, you may as well make it a good one and get something much more powerful than consoles though.  Like Linus said in the recent scrapyard wars: when considering the performance/$ number, look at the total cost of the machine, not just the video card, since you'll need the rest of the machine to make it work.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless, if you're going to go the route of building a custom gaming PC, you may as well make it a good one and get something much more powerful than consoles though. Like Linus said in the recent scrapyard wars: when considering the performance/$ number, look at the total cost of the machine, not just the video card, since you'll need the rest of the machine to make it work.

What if you're looking at relatively small form factor for living room gaming pc ?

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

as a PS4 owner and a high end PC owner i can with certainty say -> in some titles, it is REALLY close. In others, a dozen fucking miles apart.

Can you give some examples where it is really close ?

Maybe these are games Where upping The graphical settings simply doesnt change much ?

Can you give some examples where it is really close ?

Maybe these are games Where upping The graphical settings simply doesnt change much ?

Battlefront (the recent release)

Battlefront 2

Dishonored

most Fifa games are close

Hi fellas, this topic is a not really a thing to debate on cuz consoles in general have limited graphics output. On consoles we have a 1080p Max resolution and we can even say that all console games play at that output. Some games are limited to a 720p res on the other hand on PCs our graphic display can be toggled,modified and customised acording to what we want to get . We should keep in mind that only PCs can run games at 4K res . More to that I personally I won't say 7 and 8th gen consoles are entirely consoles cuz they turn more and more towards PCs. Before with the older gen consoles we just had to insert our game cartredge or CD and start playing but now when u insert ur CD, there is a game install which is similar to a game install on a PC and it usually takes the same time to do that . We also notice that on new gen consoles games have to be updated frequently . There are so many things that show the resemblance of consoles and PCs and to conclude I will say a console is part of a PC which has been dedicated to gaming and part of something can not over come the thing itself

I own both a PS4 (1080p, unlike the Xbone's 900p), and a gaming computer (I play games, again, at 1080p). Funnily enough, the PS4 is not nearly as aesthetically pleasing. Sure, it's nice, but lots of the textures are very dull and the 30FPS makes it feel a lot less smooth.

I'm glad I only use it for when people come around and multiplayer games where I'm not focused on that stuff.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono