AnandTech | GTX980 Ti shows a significant pixel fillrate difference vs GTX Titan X

source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/14

74792.png

As for texel and pixel fillrates, the results are both as-expected and a bit surprising. On the expected side, we see the GTX 980 Ti trail GTX Titan X by a bit, again taking a hit from the SMM loss. On the other hand we’re seeing a larger than expected drop in the pixel fill rates. GTX 980 Ti loses some rasterization throughput from the SMM loss, but a 15% drop in this test is much larger than 2 SMMs. Just to be sure we checked to make sure the ROP/MC configuration of GTX 980 Ti was unchanged at 96 ROPs, so we’re at a bit of a loss to explain the difference at this time. Though in either case, despite what 3DMark is telling us, we aren’t seeing any signs of GTX 980 Ti struggling at 4K versus GTX Titan X. So if there is a meaningful difference in pixel fillrates, it’s not impacting game performance.

---

this behaviour was also observed with GTX 970 compared to the GTX 980, as reported by The Tech Report: http://techreport.com/blog/27143/here-another-reason-the-geforce-gtx-970-is-slower-than-the-gtx-980

So the GTX 970's peak potential pixel fill rate isn't as high as the GTX 980's, in spite of the fact that they share the same ROP count, because the key limitation resides elsewhere. When Nvidia hobbles the GTX 970 by disabling SMs, the effective pixel fill rate suffers.

but, it was later discovered the GTX970 ROP count was "mislabeled"

is the GTX 980 Ti having a similar VRAM configuration like GTX 970 did?! perhaps not, but my guess is that tech review sites will take a deep look into this

Oh boy, here we go...brace yourselves.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

980ti gate incoming

ramgate 2k15

exposed

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

If the 980ti has issues with RAM like the 970 did, its gonna annoy the fuck outta me if people start bitching about it, the card already has 6gb of vram, losing 512mb-1gb or so isn't going to cause that huge of an issue... (unless doing crazy like 8K gaming or some shit like that)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Well as long as I can have 5GB if vram I would be very happy.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Ohhhhh boy, this is gonna be gooood. Did NVidia screw up again? I hope so. That makes me laugh.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

oh uh... :ph34r:

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

If the 980ti has issues with RAM like the 970 did, its gonna annoy the fuck outta me if people start bitching about it, the card already has 6gb of vram, losing 512mb-1gb or so isn't going to cause that huge of an issue... (unless doing crazy like 8K gaming or some shit like that)

Are you implying people will not hate the fact that Nvidia may be ripping them a new one?

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

ohboy.gif

-snapperino-

YOUR ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DEFENDING THEM!

TRAITOR!

- WCCFTECH

YOUR ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DEFENDING THEM!

TRAITOR!

I'm just preparing for the buttmad from people who don't even own the card.

I'm just preparing for the buttmad from people who don't even own the card.

There will be a select few of people that wont buy it now if this is true.

I'll just wait it out cause its either this or the new AMD card for me.

- WCCFTECH

Oh no, not the pixel fill rate!

Wait, why does this matter again? If it gets TITAN X performance, it gets TITAN X performance. All the game benchmarks aren't sitting there saying "gee, I thought the pixel fillrate was as high as the TITAN X so I gave it just as much FPS. Guess I'll have to perform worse now that you know about it".

Well, as I recall, this was a clue as to what was going on with the whole GTX 970 scandal, with the misprint of the specs and whatnot, so I guess people are gonna go around and again claim that Nvidia is lying about the specs again?  :huh:

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

There will be a select few of people that wont buy it now if this is true.

I'll just wait it out cause its either this or the new AMD card for me.

And those people are dumb.

EDIT: or they were never going to buy it to begin with and just wanna look for something to complain about.

And those people are dumb.

Bu...but...Nvidia is the devil! D:

Oh no, not the pixel fill rate!

Wait, why does this matter again? If it gets TITAN X performance, it gets TITAN X performance. All the game benchmarks aren't sitting there saying "gee, I thought the pixel fillrate was as high as the TITAN X so I gave it just as much FPS. Guess I'll have to perform worse now that you know about it".

I mean *technically* it only keeps up to the TitanX when boosting.  It's running 20% faster on the core to keep up in performance according to LTT's video.

I'm very curious to see how the 980Ti overclocks and how AIB 980Ti's look.  A 20% boost is impressive... but how much of that is because it's a gold binned chip for review samples?

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Are you implying people will not hate the fact that Nvidia may be ripping them a new one?

No, I'm saying that if people do flip shit over it and make a much larger deal than it really is, I'm gonna be annoyed af..

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Oh fuck me, here we go again. Another 100+ page shitpost thread about RAMGHAZI?

Hey, at least it'll give some people a chance to pad their post counts again and spew their bogus notions all over this site. We haven't had a good butthurt thread in...hours. The outrage.

For real, who cares. This is a CUT DOWN TITAN X. You're damn right it will be less than the Titan X in benchmarks and specs and everything else. The entitlement you must have if you think a card that's 350 less and is literally missing components would perform the same as its older brother in every respect.

If Nvidia lied in any way about this new card after what happened with the GTX 970 oh my gosh I just .....

Seriously I love my PhysX but they have tried hard for some time now to push me to AMD.  It will be interesting to see what the more in depth reviews say.

Oh and like Megahurt said as long as Nvidia doesn't lie about things they can do whatever they have to do to cripple a product at launch.  Now what they have done recently in making 700 series cards run worse intentionally with driver changes that is just wrong.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S