Experiences with non-techies

So my friends challenged me to speak only in video game quotes. My chemistry teacher a few minutes later asks me a question about electrons. I reply because war, war never changes. Then this one prat starts laughing at me calling me a cod fanboy, out of everyone my teacher corrects him saying that its from the fallout series. Apparently she used to play fallout 1 and 2.

Wasn't that quote from MGS?

Wasn't that quote from MGS?

no

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Exactly. Just because some Mac users are non-techie doesn't mean we all are :P and shut up fanboys. Studies have shown fanboys have lower IQs and low self-esteem, if anyone was wondering why they're so ignorant. I personally think each one is good for their own thing, I use OSX cuz it runs faster than Windows 7 on my Laptop. Yes, deal with it, Mac is better optimized most of the time.

Whenever I hear; "Studies have shown", I take it as; "I'm full of shit".

My buddy asks me out the blue over IM service:

(Name): What's your upload speed?
(Name): I'm getting 128kb/s on my modem and 320kb/s on my router. Should I dmz the modem?
(Name): the only thing slowing down the internet is the router since it's a huge resource hog atm

My buddy asks me out the blue over IM service:

(Name): What's your upload speed?
(Name): I'm getting 128kb/s on my modem and 320kb/s on my router. Should I dmz the modem?
(Name): the only thing slowing down the internet is the router since it's a huge resource hog atm

Well, 'Ask Jeeves' is a thing right? guess it's in the name.

right now ... with people that don't take the time to search or even read previous thread on the forums (I'm talking about threads that are still in the top 10 of the first page ... that you can actually see without searching!!!) and "dump" their thread in the general section, even though there is a announcement at the top of the section asking NOT to do so!

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum-6/announcement-9-please-ensure-you-post-in-the-correct-subforum-please-do-not-dump-your-thread-in-the-general-section/

#Windows10

-_-

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

My friend bought i7-5960X (because I was having conversation with him about this CPU).

I told him that i7-4790K was enough, more than enough.

He didn't care, bought 5960X.

He played a game, it lagged.

"Why?"

"Let me check, your rig is awesome dude...."

He only bought 5960X, he paired it with R7 240 (he hasn't upgraded this), because this was actually his PC upgrade.

He'd bought the motherboard though, so at least he bought the right board (I thought he was going to force the CPU into the CPU socket).

Well i had a 5450 with my 5820K before. But it was justified as i was waiting for the 980 and i just needed it to set up the PC 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Well i had a 5450 with my 5820K before. But it was justified as i was waiting for the 980 and i just needed it to set up the PC

I have a G3258 with a GT610 currently. :(

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

I feel your pain 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

I feel your pain 

I have dual glorified P4s and a HD5770.

EDIT: you don't feel our pain, you have a freaking 5870K and a 980.

An experience that probably everyone has seen one time or another: Streamers deleting their System 32 folders LOL.

We had something like a server(one tower, and ~24 monitors, on the back of which there was something like a mini pc, brix or modem, can't explain it) and in the tower there was a 4770K! K, unlocked! And the PC is used by 7th graders at max, and for basic tasks, word, excel and so on, 100% the mobo is the cheapest H81 and on top of all it had 8 GB Ram, for 24 of those things mentioned above, sometimes it would freeze. I think that they could have gone with a 4771(higher frequency) and 16 Gb ram.

Another thing is my dad- has a tab(news), closes the whole window, opens chrome again and goes to the same site, just to another page of news. I have told him about the tabs, but he continues to do this, no idea why.

Bulgarian, WoT nick- ivelinv8, War Thunder- BEST_NOOB_BG, GAMING PC: FX-4170; R9 280X TOXIC; 16 GB RAM; Fortron Raider 750W; Raidmax Helios case; WD Green 1TB. 50Mb/s + 50% bonus

We had something like a server(one tower, and ~24 monitors, on the back of which there was something like a mini pc, brix or modem, can't explain it) and in the tower there was a 4770K! K, unlocked! And the PC is used by 7th graders at max, and for basic tasks, word, excel and so on, 100% the mobo is the cheapest H81 and on top of all it had 8 GB Ram, for 24 of those things mentioned above, sometimes it would freeze. I think that they could have gone with a 4771(higher frequency) and 16 Gb ram.

Im confused, where was the brix connected, and 24 monitors for what?

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Im confused, where was the brix connected, and 24 monitors for what?

2 years ago we had something very similar at my school before getting Pentium PCs.

The idea is that the server would be the actual powerhouse that does tasks, and it creates virtual desktops and then sends it out to the tiny boxes, so it feels like you have an actual PC

Hey, at least that's actually balanced

Edit: Hey, 2015 posts! The exact same number as of this year!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

2 years ago we had something very similar at my school before getting Pentium PCs.

The idea is that the server would be the actual powerhouse that does tasks, and it creates virtual desktops and then sends it out to the tiny boxes, so it feels like you have an actual PC

Hey, at least that's actually balanced

Edit: Hey, 2015 posts! The exact same number as of this year!

Illuminati

So you mean that the server makes the desktops and the brixe's are only receivers?

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Illuminati

So you mean that the server makes the desktops and the brixe's are only receivers?

Pretty much, yes

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

like a Citrix receiver box of sort ... they use that at my workplace for light users (inventory and HR)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Another thing is my dad- has a tab(news), closes the whole window, opens chrome again and goes to the same site, just to another page of news. I have told him about the tabs, but he continues to do this, no idea why.

It would have been VESA mountable NUCs or something, and a server with that hardware would be fine to run any services for just 24 PC's.

You could literally be hosting AD/exchange/dhcp/IIS/etc. roles all at once and you would be able to power it using that hardware (if they are only supporting 24 pc's).

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

IViSD52.jpg?1

HTML is all around me. Haalp.

Dell Inspiron 7520 15R: Cpu: Intel Core i7 3612QM @2.10Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ, Storage: 1TB 5400RPM HDD, Os: WIndows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit EP1;

Lenovo Yoga 11e Chromebook: Cpu: Intel Celeron N2930 @1.83Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3L 1333MHZ, Storage: 16GB eMMC, Os: Google Chrome Os;

My mother thought that HTML was some sort of "drug". So one day I went upstairs and said "I'm gonna do some HTML" and she flipped.

|Intel Core i5-4670K| |Gigabyte Z97P-D3| |Seagate 1TB SSHD| |Fractal Design Define S| |Corsair CS650M| |Asus PB278Q| |Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Bundle|

My mother thought that HTML was some sort of "drug". So one day I went upstairs and said "I'm gonna do some HTML" and she flipped.

She should try DHMO...

I have a friend who thought (and still thinks) that he had four Intel i5s in his computer because "quad core". I tried to explain to him the concept of multiple cores but he refused to admit his mistake.

Current PC: Chimera, Because AMD and Nvidia belong together

| CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P | RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866 | Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256 GB SSD, 2x Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HDD | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB SC | Case: CM N600 | PSU: Corsair CX 600W(Overkill but I was originaly planning for a 970) | Moniter: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24" |

Left five, Don't cut, Be brave.

At my school they have really old computers, some HP some Dell, and they take like 10 minutes to boot and the teachers complain why we haven't started our work yet. Also when the systems boot I open task manager and see the CPU usage at 100%. The hard drives are so filled up that ScriptLogic can't even run. They expect us to do video editing with 2GB of DDR2 RAM and a Core 2 Duo.

*facepalm*

<Insert joke here>

Friend says IE is best browser ever because they "Update" it all the time though its just bug fixes = Me: NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

Also, this is another story I read somewhere (I'm full of these lol) some guy (around the 13-15 age range) walked into a Fry's Electronics since he needed a new ATX mid-tower to fit a 240mm radiator. His current case said it did, but it lied apparently. He goes up to an employee and asks him what he suggests and he starts showing him these mATX cases. Thinking he misheard he said "No I mean something that can fit an ATX board". The employee's response? "Kid, you don't know what you're talking about with this ATX, Star Wars, whatever nonsence." My jaw literally dropped upon hearing this considering Fry's employees usually know what they're doing.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice